Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SavoyTruffle posted:

Virgin One is Channel One now, apparently. What a brilliant name, well done Sky.
I found it the other day and it appeared to be a brand new channel inexplicably showing season eight of The X-Files. I didn't realise it was just Virgin One. They bought some pretty good US imports when they started up (The Riches, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia) and showed Seinfeld during the day. I thought it was going to be alright. It's not. It's poo poo.

It is good for Star Trek reruns, plus they show the Fresh Prince of Bel Air and the Life & Times of Tim which is often amusing.

I wonder if they changed the name because Richard Branson sold it or something (hence not Virgin any more)?

justcola posted:

Daybreak US version was pretty good for all intensive porpoises in that it was a standalone series that had an ending, imagine that in this day and age.

Here is a helpful diagram for americans who watch british tv
Skins > Inbetweeners
Doctor Who == Sherlock
Sherlock > Luther
Life on Mars > The Sweeney
Top Gear > The Sweeney

Nearly, but one minor correction.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Tonight at 10:00 on C4, Derren Brown does something presumably mindbogglingly inexplicable in an aeroplane.

You'll all be *glued to your seats*

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind want to sign Piers Morgan for anything (other than toiling in a foundry somewhere or as a practice dummy for a knife thrower)?

If there was any justice in the world that nasty smug two-faced lying sack of poo poo would have disappeared from public sight when he left The Mirror.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
The guy should have been called Otto. Or Shirley.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Russ posted:

Derren Brown's countdown is on!!! In the next 30 days he's going to follow someone else and make them a hero too!!! It could be you!!! on the condition that you've recently applied to be featured on one of his shows and had an interview with the people who make his shows and signed a legal disclaimer saying that the production company can film you at any time

I think I can break into a policeman's house, pet an alligator and tie myself to a railway line without any outside help actually.

I just don't want to.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Eastenders is rather entertaining tonight :)

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Figaro posted:

If anything he's being far too nice, the locals are kicking him around like a football. They should have got Gordon Ramsay in, he'd rip those blinkered fatties a new arsehole and stuff them to the brim with healthy food alternatives

Fuckers

I think Jamie Oliver has become a bit too comfortable with the kind of 'hero worship' he gets in the UK, being hailed as the 'savior of school dinners' and getting his arse licked by our illustrious former former Prime Minister. However, he has been around a while and built his career up from fairly humble beginnings so we can kind of respect him when he tells us we shouldn't eat a bag of sugar every day even if we do find him kind of irritating.

However, he is not nearly as well known in the US. To them, he turned up as a fully formed, over confident, self proclaimed Food Messiah preaching his gospel to a bunch of people who had probably been quite happily eating rubbish for years. It's not really any wonder they rebelled against him. Would anyone in this country have reacted any differently if an unknown (to us) American came over and started telling us how to live our lives?

Ramsey would have worked better - he's established in America now and you can guarantee he wouldn't have sat down and bawled his eyes out about how 'nobody understands him'.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Brown Moses posted:

I'm watching Walk on the Wild Side on BBC 1 at the moment, and I want my license fee back.

I'm watching All Star Family Fortunes on ITV1. Normally I wouldn't but Brian Blessed is on it.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

MannerlyHighbrow posted:

Career: Unemployed Head of Communications

How the gently caress can you be an 'unemployed head of communications'?

You were a head of communications. You are now unemployed. Therefore, no longer a head of anything. QED.

I loving hate this. I was made redundant a month ago but I don't go around calling myself an 'unemployed production assistant'.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Graviton v2 posted:

Gotta agree to disagree there then. I liked it. Are you sure you arent having ... 'phrase that describes something that was great from a long time ago but if you watched it now it wouldnt be that great'

I know there is a word for that but its eluding me. Nostalgia maybe?

I watched the first two series of the original Reggie Perrin on DVD a few years back and they're still brilliant. Leonard Rossiter is almost exhausting to watch as a man slowly being driven insane by the mundanity and repetitiveness of his working life.

I actually rather like the Clunes version of the show too. They haven't gone for a carbon-copy of the original, and it has a different, less frenetic feel to it.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jurassic Park!

Back of the net.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm not really a fan of Buzzcocks for reasons people have given here, but a friend of mine got tickets to the third show in this series so I went. The special guests were Jedward. What followed blew my mind and I'm very interested to see how it comes out for the 28 minute cut.

Spill the beans, drat you :argh:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

I love Jack Dee. Bet it'll be watered down in the edit (though I hope it isn't).

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

NaDy posted:

I can't believe Venetian Snares was brought up on BBC 2.

Soon to be touring with Acker Bilk.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Jawidar posted:

His partner was equally goony:

They only won £1,250 - I know the BBC is tightening its belt, but that's ridiculous.

It was only because the jackpot had already been won the day before. It starts at £1000 with an extra £1000 being added every day the jackpot isn't won, plus £250 for every pointless answer found during the show. If they had gone a week without a winner the jackpot would be a much healthier sum, over £7000.

I watch this show quite a lot, it's much better than Deal or No Deal.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Graviton v2 posted:

I think thats twice we have agreed on a chick now, if I could convert you back to hetro it might be a match made in heaven.

Either that or im a lesbian in a mans body.

Richie: "Come back to my place ... and I'll cure you!"

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Magic Mango posted:

I just caught the end of Eastenders before QI, why on Earth would you get back inside a stopped car on a level crossing? :ughh:

That must take the award for the most predictable cliffhanger in soap opera history.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Dennis Nedry posted:

Anyone been watching Million Pound Drop? A few of us were playing along live online tonight and I'll be damned if it isn't fun to play.

I was watching and playing along too (because Fallout New Vegas hasn't arrived yet and what else is there to do on a Friday night?) It is a lot of fun. Davina takes a bit of flak sometimes but you have to admit she does handle a live show very well. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been for those two annoying prats at the end though. I like to think the technical glitch (when their microphones stopped working) was a deliberate protest from one of the sound engineers at their non-stop babbling. Couldn't they get enough 'real' contestants?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just reading about Dispatches is making me more depressed than usual.

Also, something rare TV wise is up on YouTube but I'm not sure about the rules. Should I keep it mum?

Spill the beans, drat you :argh:

(AFAIK, if it's up on Youtube, it's fair game until they take it down)

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

FiftySeven posted:

I love how one of the little shits was quite clearly mortified at half the poo poo the other one was doing and basically said gently caress all through the whole thing. This season of Buzzcocks is shaping up nicely.

So that means that a quarter of Jedward is awful? Funny, I thought it was a much higher percentage than that.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

ibroxmassive posted:

Every one of his meals does it, his ingredients list is usually;

Olive Oil
Chilli

Actual food

That's why he's called Jamie Oliver.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

goatface posted:

Did it look like Terry Wogan was drunk?

Terry Wogan drunk is the best Terry Wogan.

Terry Wogan is always drunk. He's Irish.

I have a signed picture of Terry Wogan. Envy me! (I'm male, it's actually very sad).

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Adrianics posted:

You don't want it? Just tell me who I have to kill.

I won it in a charity raffle. If I'm honest it's actually pretty cool (a Radio 2 stock photo with the signature on the left hand side next to Wogan's handsome bonce) but I don't have it on the wall or anything, it's just in its envelope. If you'd like it email me your address and I'll put it in the post to you. My email is mattc444uk AT yahoo.co.uk (replace the AT with the appropriate symbol, i.e. @)

e: Also, you don't have to kill anyone, although you could maim Piers Morgan for me.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 12, 2010

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Watching Jimmy Carr and Johnny Vaughan panicking on the Million Pound Drop is hilarious.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

thehustler posted:

James Blunt is more quick witted than Eddie Izzard.

You could say he's sharper :rimshot:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Fatkraken posted:

what annoys me is the groups with 5 or 6 correct answers. I know this is deliberate, but it's still very annoying, since it's possible to know one or two groups, get them "right" and still get no points because some of the right answers were meant to be in other groups which you didn't know. It makes it more of an all or nothing game

EDIT: yay, my first ten pointer, wall #5

have to say, don't think many Americans would have gotten the Wombles

I got wall 64 :)

And drat you, DiscoJ, I had stuff I needed to do tonight! :argh:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

The Perfect Element posted:

PRICELESS BANTER

Well, you wouldn't pay for it, would you? Everyone thinks they're Oscar Wilde when they've had a few drinks, whereas in reality they're barely Jim Davidson (myself included)

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 25, 2010

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Beeswax posted:

I genuinely don't think there is a British pundit I hate more than Kelvin MacKenzie. He is the worst human being.

Richard Littlejohn :colbert:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Royality posted:

Take Me Out is back on tonight, and at the risk of everyone thinking I'm a total idiot, I love it. It's got the perfect balance of cringey desperate men, and cringey desperate (fat) women.

This is a show that by rights I should hate, yet I actually really enjoy it. In fact, I'd almost be tempted to apply to go on it myself (or I would be if I wasn't such a terminally sensitive fairy manly stud who doesn't need a TV programme to get a date)

I loved how some of the chubbier girls were turned off by the fact that the first guy was a personal trainer, as if he's going to come home after work and force them to do exercises.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 12, 2010

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Irisi posted:

I hope it's on iPlayer because the only telly in my household has been playing XFactor for the past two hours, and every time I so much as look at the remote control I get sat upon and threatened with extreme violence by my mother and sister.

You need another telly.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyway, lineup looks poor even when I don't take as dim a view of them as some. Alan Carr has no business on TV. Or stage. Or land.

Or anywhere in the Solar system.

e: Actually, that's a bit harsh, he could live on Pluto.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

goatface posted:

It's like the Jewish conspiracy, only focused around pop-culture celebrities.

Dirk Gently had a distinct lack of electric monks and ghosts.

And Norse gods.

I still thought it was good though. It would be nice (if unlikely) if they turned it into a series, but that would involve coming up with more stories than the two (and a bit) Douglas Adams wrote. Still might be possible if they chained someone like David Renwick to a desk and flogged him with chains for six months.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 17, 2010

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Fatkraken posted:

Enjoyed Dirk Gently, mildly disappointed they didn't use the marvellously convoluted plot from the book but that would have had to be at LEAST a 3 part miniseries to actually cover everything. What they did use worked well enough though.

quote:

"The BBC wanted a returning detective show, one doable on a BBC4 budget," says Overman.

From here: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/dirk-gently-appliance-of-science-is-the-stuff-of-fantasy-2160436.html

I assume this means that a full series, or at least more one-off episodes are on the cards, which is good news.

Found this too:

http://www.thateden.co.uk/dirk/

"A Suffusion of Yellow"

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe Boyle is generalizing Watson's fans as all teenagers? Maybe it's some kneejerk reaction based on his previous alcoholism?

Anyway, there is a Penn and Teller special on at 9 tonight if anyone feels like braving ITV.

I didn't even realise that was a thing until I saw the trailer just now. It doesn't look too bad actually. I'll probably give it a try tonight. ITV are usually crap, but they have the potential to produce some pretty good shows (honestly they do!)

Speaking of magic, is anyone watching The Magicians on BBC on Saturday? I caught it last week and it was quite entertaining, although Lenny Henry still isn't funny. This week the special guests are Ade Edmondson, Peter Jones (of Dragon's Den 'fame') and Amanda Byram. The only disappointing thing is a distinct lack of Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
I just watched the Penn and Teller show for Penn and Teller and the other magicians (and the inevitable slightly unconvincing blood and guts). The 'fool us' bit seemed like a bit of a gimmick to be honest but I enjoyed the show anyway. What with this and the Magicians on the BBC it's actually nice to see the good old fashioned magic show back on our screens.

But I repeat, WHERE is Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee?!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Psybro posted:

Been watching the Eastenders dead baby stuff because although I don't normally watch it, I find it grimly fascinating to see how low they'll go to ramp up the melodrama.

It's ridiculous to the point of being faintly comic.

[Kat and Alfie visit the dead baby]

Kat: THAT'S NOT MY BABY!!
Alfie: :smith:...that's because our baby, he's in heaven now...
Kat: That doesn't look like my baby!
Alfie: :smith:...no Kat, because, he was alive, but now...he's dead
Kat: That literally is not the child that was pulled from my vagina on New Year's Eve!
Alfie: :smith:...no, because that child is with the angels now Kat, smiling down on us...

[Roxy visits Ronnie]

Roxy: Ronnie, I know that you're upset about what happened to Kat, but you need to get over it because you're going to be a great mum.
Ronnie: I can no longer live out this masquerade. It's all a lie.
Roxy: I know you feel that way now, Ronnie, but it'll be fine...
Ronnie: The child you are holding is literally Kat and Alfie's live child, who I swapped with the corpse of my dead one. I have written it all down in this diary with lengthy annotations in the margins.
Roxy: Ronnie, you're hormonal right now...

Plus Jessie Wallace's melted face irks me.

Next Week:

Ronnie and Kat fight over the sole remaining baby on the roof of the Queen Vic.

Ronnie accidentally throws the baby over the edge and onto the street where it gets run over by a passing taxi.

No nobody has a baby.

During the credits the BBC puts up a hotline for people who have accidentally thrown their baby off the roof of a pub.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Metrication posted:

I felt this way as well. Struck me as being more of a lighthearted drama than anything else but it was still entertaining .

Alison Graham really hates it. Who's Alison Graham? She's the Radio Times' resident TV critic.

I thought it was pretty good though, but what do I know?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Kerbtree posted:

You've just made me remember Equinox, with the laser-mouth.

Ah, an Amiga running Octamed! So many memories of creating my own rubbish compositions for AMOS games I never actually finished programming.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Tonight I watched University Challenge, Only Connect and right now I'm in the middle of this episode of Horizon about quantum mechanics which is telling me that reality is just a hologram.

The BBC has just killed my brain! :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Cost the economy over a trillion! ... probably ...