Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Anyone watch Whites? I quite enjoyed it; although it was a VERY pilot-y episode. But it does set up the characters pretty nicely. It has the woman from the IT Crowd playing the woman from the IT Crowd In A Restaurant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Graviton v2 posted:

Ive actually got a bit of a soft spot for Moyles, he seemed like a genuine guy when I listened to his radio show at work on R1 way back when. I then turned treason and then listened to American radio instead but he was alright. Has he turned all superstar these days?

I quite like his morning show. It's a bit self-centered but drat he's got 2.5 hours to fill, you run out of stuff eventually. Good mindless chatter. The podcast is pretty good as it's just 30-45 minutes of the top stuff from the week.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
If you have a couple of hours to spare and want to watch some mindless telly, the 50 greatest Children in Need clips or whatever it's called was fantastic. It was on BBC3, narrated by Matt Berry, and lots of decent clips. Makes you remember how fantastic(and how fantastically awful) Children in Need can be :3:

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

J33uk posted:

Holy poo poo, Eastenders tried to do a green screen scene on the tube tonight and god drat did it look like dogshit. If you need a laugh, take a look at it, it's in the first five minutes and it's just appalling.

Haha, just saw that! loving awful. C'mon, Eastenders, you can do better than that.

Also! DeadBabyGate tonight! So excited! :D

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

J33uk posted:

Oh man, watching Big Fat Quiz of the Year right now and it really is not so good. The lineup is far more irritating this year and it just seems riddled with very predictable stuff. Shame.

Yeah, I watched that tonight too. Ruth Jones literally speaks for perhaps a minute total in the entire show. And it's not a good minute. Noel and Richard seemed to just be phoning it in. Louis Spence was probably the best thing about the whole show :smithicide:

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

J33uk posted:

So things look like they're calming down at Eastenders after all the scanda....

Oh wait. Whitney is getting sex exploited for Comic Relief. Wearing a Red Nose was apparently not going far enough.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a296873/eastenders-confirms-sex-exploitation-plot.html

Imagine. You're casually watching Comic Relief, giggling at the sketches, sipping your wine, singing along to Take That. "Ah! Eastenders! Haven't seen that in a while, must be a fun little sketch they've got set up! Maybe Bianca will do a cartwheel or... Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no." Boom. Child sex exploitation. Womp womp womp.

Jesus, Eastenders, you are testing my patience.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
This 24 Hour Panel People thing is actually a lot of fun. It's fun seeing all the celebs a bit more normal and breaking down. And they've gotten so many good people to take part. It should get good when it's 4am and Walliams is starting to lose it.

Here's the schedule: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rednoseday/24hourpanelpeople/schedule.shtml

They Think It's All Over, Have I Got News For You, and Buzzcocks should all be great. Watching Generation Game earlier was completely bizarre. Bizarrely fantastic.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Gabby Logan looked like she was ready to punch John McCririck if he touched her.

But also... Richard Bacon :3:

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I tried watching Campus but then my foster-cat started giving birth. I was glad for the distraction from that really bleh show. Kittens > Campus.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
The Graham Norton show is best when it's all Brits who aren't totally worried about their "image". Adele, Jack Whitehall, and Miranda Hart all sort of don't care how they come across and are just there to have a good time. It's when Americans come on or up-tight Brits and they refuse to just chill. It was an awesome episode tonight. Adele drunk seems like she'd be a lot of fun to hang out with.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Why don't you edit the list so that each person can put a tick or some sort of emoticon next to the ones that they'd recommend. Then the list would be sorted by how many people recommend it. Then people that want to watch British TV but don't know where to start can just go to the most recommended. And then shows that only one person likes(Catherine Tate, Come Fly With Me, Tramadol Nights, etc etc) will be shown as thus.

Done.

(Of course this would mean 3 more pages of useless posting of lists. So... Yep.)

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Claudia Winkleman has a new show(in which she is heeeeavily pregnant) called King Of...

"Claudia Winkleman hosts feisty new Channel 4 comedy talk show series King Of..., taking a witty, informative and passionate look at our favourite things. From musicals to newsreaders, supermodels to household pets and artists to takeaways, Claudia shines a light on the passions and peculiarities of her celebrity guests."

It's a bit odd, but I absolutely adore Claudia Winkleman so I'm quite enjoying it. Check it out if you're into panel shows/Claudia.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

I must admit, I gave up after episode 1. Would you say that it has improved since then?

I think it's improved considerably. The characters are interesting enough and the stories have been far more intriguing than the first episode's. I laughed out loud a fair number of times during last week's episode.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

henpod posted:

:pwn:Tell me what you need
:confused:Marketing and
:pwn:Move on what next
:confused:Strategy with
:pwn:move on, next

Let the man speak!

But yes, she is way better than Caan. Theo is still the king in there though. Duncan just seems to be getting surlier and more pissed off.

Yeah, I'd hate to go into business with someone that just literally wouldn't let me finish a sentence. She makes Deborah look like a pussycat. Peter Jones is totally still the dreamiest though...

And girl needs to lose those shoulderpads, ouch.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I once won a Friends VHS box set(I think it was season 4) from BBC Radio 5Live back when they could actually give out prizes. I must have been... 10? Something very young like that. My brother called me into the kitchen and was like, "You know this answer, call up." So I did. And totally won. Yeeeeeah.

I also won a lovely digital camera from a lovely Sunday morning BBC kids show Sub Zero. I was the Internet explorer or whatever they called it so all my bits were pre-recorded. I ran on at the beginning, waved, told them my name(Neb Bug. Because the dumb researcher didn't realize I said Web Bug on the phone) and then ran off backstage to eat a ton of sweets with various producers and the other Internet explorer from the boys' team. Totally won that, too. I also got to see the Blue Peter garden!

I miss lovely weekend British-made, real people, kids TV shows.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Sega World was awesome back in the day. Wasn't there a crazy elevator with like a tube around it?

The only other thing I vividly remember is going on one of those wave-runner type games and thinking it was totally awesome.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I went on a "Back in my day" quest a few months back. One of the theme tunes I most vividly remembered was Animal Hospital. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhJuOfWeSs I think it was on weekday evenings or something like that. Rolf Harris = 90s superstar.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

delicious beef posted:

Also Animals of Farthing Wood was the best kids show.

And really loving depressing when you go back and read/watch it. But it was totally awesome.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

StrawmanUK posted:

Cant wait for celeb big brother to start tonight, suck it haters! ;)

I have such a love-hate relationship with Big Brother. I used to love it in the summers when nothing else was on and it kinda gives you something every day to look forward to. (Oh god, how sad does that sound...) But there's no Davina, which is crazy. Marcus voice over guy is apparently back though.

I dunno. I'll probably watch the first few. I find Jedward strangely appealing.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Yeah, BB was a bit... eh. It's bad when I'm most excited for Jedward. The worst was after each housemate went in Brian Dowling had to say a little "bit". With Davina she'd legitimately say what people were thinking at home, "Omg, he's totally fit," or "Ohhh, she's gonna be a bitch." With Brian he obviously had a list of things that were prepared, and then he tried to ad-lib and just kept talking about Tara and the door. He didn't add anything. Brian was an awesome housemate, but he's not into his own groove quite yet as a presenter.

And the line-up is just dumb. It was interesting to see which of them knew each other (The ITV/Channel 4 reality crew, for example). The speaker's wife will go crazy, the model will just be quiet, the Corrie kid will try for a romance to up his career, Kerry/Amy will be bffs, then break up, then be bffs, the paparazzi guy will try to get a story and then just end up being really boring, Jedward will be Jedward, and I honestly can't remember anyone else. Is there anyone else? I don't know.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

Well X-Factor was amazing. That previous failure calling Tulisa a oval office (presumably) and then Dermot laying down the law backstage :allears:

Yes! Dermot was pointing in his face and glaring while saying, "No. You don't talk like that to girls." Ooooh Dermot. So dreamy. And Gary Barlow is just perfection.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
New season of Outnumbered last night! Hooray!

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Mr Empty posted:

Going through all the iplayer episodes of the Great British Bakeoff after the talk here and it's wonderful. Such a pleasant and good natured competition. The contestants seem nice, happy to be doing what they love and down to earth and you'll sometimes see them praise eachothers stuff, Sue and Mel are lovely, the food history bits are charming and you get the simple pleasure of looking at nicely presented, delicious looking and creative foods.

I almost wish they didn't vote anyone off every episode and just chose the winner at the end from who was the best overall and only have a star of the week as the tension is a bit pointless and goes against the vibe. I also like how good a critic Paul is, he's really engaging and so good at being able to clearly identify and explain what went wrong so they can improve. Definitely turning down any social arrangements next tuesday to watch the next episode.

It truly is amazing. Check out the first season if you ever get a chance to. Same exact format and feel, just different contestants. This may be a daring thing to say, but... I think Great British Bakeoff is the best competition-style television program on currently. It's fresh, not too mean, not too tired, and is beautifully shot. TGBB for Bafta!!

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
FYI, don't bother with the new series of proper Big Brother(it started tonight). There are fourteen 20-something-year-old models/musicians/artists/actors/wannabe-famous people. Seriously, they are all exactly the same person. There are maybe two that could be interesting. Oh, and Pamela Anderson is in there for no real reason. Usually I can deal with crappy Big Brothers, but this one is gonna be painful. And Brian Dowling is beyond poo poo as a host.

Now I will watch QI to cleanse my television palette.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I think TGBBO is the first show I've watched where I've purposefully avoided the forums to stop spoilering myself. I am so sad that Jason went. I wanted Paul(who is also a total silver fox) to offer him an apprenticeship or something at the end. Rob is a total knob :colbert:

Choux pastry next week! That's so difficult! :ohno:

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

shadok posted:

Panel shows got their start on American radio and were hugely popular on US TV in the 50s and 60s. For whatever reason, it's not a format that interests Americans any more despite periodic attempts to revive it (eg. The Marriage Ref).

Graham Norton is about to film a new panel show in NYC for BBC America. Wonder if it'll be any good.

http://www.theblacklistnyc.com/wyr < You can get tickets to the show here!

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I loved this week's episode. I'd be happy if any of them won because they've all proven that they're decent. Those mousse cakes looked amaaaaaazing.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Irisi posted:

Me & my sister have switched off the mobile phones, locked the children in the next room with their 3DSes and we have a plate of shortbread with toffee chips baked in.

BRING IT ON.

(Also, get to the baking. Don't care about life stories. Want pictures of the sexy cakes)

Oh god I won't be able to watch it until I get home from work. Time to run away from the Internet so I don't get spoiled! It's a British street party this week, isn't it? Oh, I hope they don't disappoint the neighbours :ohdear:

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

If anyone's watching Strictly: It Takes Two, it is becoming increasingly clear that Russell Grant is going to become a fixture on the show, even if he gets knocked out of the actual dancing contest.

I love how into it he is. I always like the celebrities who legitimately seem to be enjoying themselves and want to be there. Anita appears to be in total heaven. Nancy, on the other hand, is there purely for exposure. She even said, "Well our dance went badly but it was amazing television so I'm happy." That's not what Strictly is about :colbert: Jason Donovan is in danger of taking it too seriously, but right now I'm totally loving him because he's so totally dreamy.

I... quite like Strictly.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Hoops posted:

*Jason Donovan* is dreamy? Really? This isn't 1993, that's quite a bizarre pick for the man of your dreams.

Oh, he's not the man of my dreams, just a dreamy man. I think it's because he's so smiley and lovely. And I think it comes from watching Joseph a lot as a kid. He's so compassionate to his brothers :3:

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Just watched the "where are they now" Great British Bake Off. It was more of a recap the entire season one and then have five minutes of updates. But it's so lovely to see people doing well with their baking!

Also at the end the VO guy said to look out for JUNIOR Great British Bake Off on CBBC soon which can only promise to be ridiculously adorable. I want Paul Hollywood to make a little child cry. And Mary Berry to tell them all how wonderful they are. Between this and the celeb version, the BBC sure are cashing in on the show's popularity.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

You're right, it WAS a cracking episode

I'd probably post in a thread if there was one (it'd most likely just be you and me but oh well)

And me. I love Eastenders. I have to get my parents and brother watching again late November so they know what's going on when we watch all the Christmassy episodes. Otherwise I'm stuck explaining, "No no no, that's his granddaughter and she slept with that boy to see if he was gay but he's totally gay because he implied that that guy touched him but she's not going to school anymore and oh his partner left him and y'know."

Tonight was great though. The actress playing Tanya is totally going to the awards this year.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Zeether posted:

Is Buzzcocks still on? I've seen some clips of it and it's absolutely hilarious. The best thing I saw was Mark Lamarr getting sick of Jonathan Ross interrupting him and finally yelling "ROSS, SHUT THE gently caress UP! I IMPLORE YOU, I BEG YOU! SHUT THE gently caress UP!"

Yes. There's a new episode tonight actually. (With John Barrowman if I recall correctly, so it's going to be fantastically camp).

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Call The Midwife is very pleasant TV. There's no huge drama(a la dead foreign guys in Downton) and it's not all played for laughs, it's just a nice little "Oh, look at the nice girls delivering babies..." kinda show. I dig it. It also let me really see quite how good Miranda Hart is(I've never seen her TV show, but I've always warmed to her when she was on It Takes Two or some panel shows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Wow guys, we are getting RIPPED OFF for Netflix. Just checked the US site, for my tipple of choice (Sci-fi and fantasy TV shows) they have over 140 entries; a goodly portion are MST3K episodes given separate entries, but even so I'd say there are over 100 series. All of LOST, BSG, X-Files, Buffy, various Treks

UK: 13 entries, including charmed, Heroes and the 4400. No trek, no buffy, no X-files, fewer seasons of new-Who (I PAID FOR IT!), no LOST, no BSG. There's a couple of decent looking bits and bobs that I haven't seen before, but for the most part it is a drat paltry selection.

For the low low price of exactly the same as the Americans pay for 10x the service. Aren't we fortunate?

It's because copyright laws are different. Different people for the US and the UK own the distribution right for their country, so it's not like Netflix are just hiding the content from the UK, they just legally don't have the rights to distribute Trek/Buffy/whatever in the UK yet. I'm sure as Netflix UK goes along, they'll work out more distribution deals.

I don't really get how you're all getting "Oh the US is getting all the best things!!" It's no different to Americans not able to watch things on iPlayer or 4oD. Copyright gets funky once you switch countries. Funnily enough the Berne Convention didn't mention Netflix back in the 1800s.

Though I do agree that it sucks that you're paying the same for shittier content. But they're not forcing you to join so...