Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I actually quite liked the Phone Shop pilot when they did that pilot showcase thing a while back. Does this mean Todd Margaret is coming soon too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Just finished watching the whole of Phone Shop. I don't really get the hate its had on here, I thought it was pretty good.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Talking of that Derren brown Enigma show, did anyone notice that the guy reading out the random words said "purple", "monkey" and "dishwasher"? Internet things in real life!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

lionlegs posted:

The other great thing about the return of Adam and Joe is that it means Joe has finished his film!

Trailer here: http://www.empireonline.com/video/attacktheblock/
and Joe on Film 2011 here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z61qr/Film_2011_with_Claudia_Winkleman_Episode_8/

This looks really good. I've been loving these kind of council estate kind of films recently, I've seen Kidulthood, Adulthood, This Is England and Harry Brown. Can anyone recommend anything else along these lines?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

thehustler posted:

Did none of you see the Campus pilot? It was ok. Bit silly. Sillier than Green Wing anyway. I'll give it another go when its on.

I saw it. I agree it was silly but it was nice seeing Andy Nyman play a complete dickhead like he did in Dead Set.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

And he played saxophone on the song Baker Street, according to that random rumour I heard in school.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Jesus this thread gets depressing every so often. I know its cliche to say it, but people obviously have different opinions on what is and isn't poo poo. I'm pretty surprised that people don't like Sean Lock, I've always found him to be really funny in everything I've seen him in, but hey ho.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying Fresh Meat so far. While it isn't Peep Show quality, I do think there's a fair few bits that are brilliant. I love the running joke that Howard hasn't seen Lord of the Rings and is annoyed that everyone always assumes he likes it.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Holy poo poo, the comic timing in Fresh Meat tonight when Kingsley was having an emotional speech to JP before JP lands right on top of him off of a rock was fantastic. I actually had to rewind because I missed what they said afterward due to laughing.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

as I've only just moved to this fair city, the description of this programme make me never want to leave my flat again

Two Pompey goons, weird. But yeah, it was a bit odd to see your hometown pop up on an adult baby documentary, of all things. At least now Boris Johnson has something to add to his list of "drugs, obesity, underachievement and Labour MPs"

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

I've just been catching up on Black Mirror and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them this series, although "enjoyed" might be the wrong word. I still don't think any of them topped The Entire History of You from the last series though.

Anyway, did anyone catch that in The Waldo Moment, the Jason Flemying character was called Jack Napier - that was the joker's name in the Michael Keaton Batman film wasn't it? Also, it was apparently based on an idea for Nathan Barley? I wonder what that would have looked like.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Anyone been watching In The Flesh? For a BBC3 drama it was much better than I was expecting and the concept of a "previously deceased syndrome" returning to his militia loving village up north is pretty drat good. Plus a loving brutal scene at the end of the first episode.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Anybody been watching this "Dates" on channel 4? It's by the same writer as skins and despite having Will Mellor in the first episode, it's actually pretty good.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Anybody been watching that Southcliffe on channel 4 then? Its about a spree shooting in a fictional village and I'm finding it to be a really well directed drama, though with a bit too many slow pans across moors and that sort of thing.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

I remember being bemused that there was an actual Hugo game for PS1. A game based on a Saturday morning TV idea of what games are actually like. Just checking on Wikipedia, it seems there was a whole series of them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_%28video_game%29

Regarding Southcliffe, I do need to catch up on last nights episode but I completely agree with Mr. Empty's analysis, putting my thoughts on it better than I could. People should watch that show, seriously.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Anyone here watch Rev.? New series starts this week. I recently got into in on DVD since the gf got the boxset, and I enjoyed it far more than I'd have thought I'd enjoy a gentleish sitcom about an inner city vicar. Tom Hollander is ace in it.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Just my cocking luck to make a nice twee post about a gentle but quietly good and well written programme just before the guy with the angry opinion shows up.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

I've just discovered Him & Her. Its bloody fantastic, why did I not figure that out before? Oh right, BBC3

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Bridget Christie is A) a Woman, B)Does stand up comedy, C) is funny and great and D) very hot.

She flirted with me at a show she did a couple of weeks ago. Well, asked my name, so that's pretty much the same thing.

Also she is married to Stewart Lee, which isnt important but kind of is, so I'll mention it.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

I just saw an advert for Not Going Out where Lee Macks character appears on Pointless. Why the gently caress is this a thing? Quiz shows cant mix with sitcoms! Its so loving annoying.

I don't know why it makes me so angry.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Doesn't seem to be much chat about Babylon in here, which I find surprising. I really enjoyed the first couple of episodes, now that they seem to be linking some of the characters instead of it just being disparate arms of the met like it seemed in the pilot. I think that Phoneshop bloke is great as well.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Does The Fall have its own thread? Jesus christ this show rules.

Can't find a thread for it but yeah, The Fall is brilliant. Creepy, atmospheric and seems pretty realistic. Also, I don't know how Gillian Anderson continues to get hotter as time goes on.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Also I tried to watch How Not to Live Your Life and had to cut loose after 5 minutes.

For what its worth, I thought the second and third series of that were much better, primarily because they god rid of the awful hollyoaks actress from the first series. I may just have terrible taste though.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I've watched:

Luther
The Fall
The Game
Sherlock
Shadow Line
Hunted
The Hour

Any other great British drama series that have come along in the past 5 years worth checking out?

I'd add Southcliffe to that list, but be aware that its pretty harrowing.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The worst was that loving Troll game on Live & Kicking. You had to say right, left, middle whatever to make the troll's minecart avoid stuff on the tracks. I remember getting really annoyed with the kids playing it who CLEARLY didn't know right from left and CLEARLY shouldnt have had a go.

It was only later I realised there might have been a delay from them saying which way and the actual operator going that direction. Still, wound me up at the time. I was quite a tense child.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Did anyone see that Top Coppers on BBC3 Wednesday night? Mate of mine from Uni wrote it, but I didn't get a chance to see if it was any good yet. Seems like a British Danger 5 by the trailer.

https://youtu.be/3_pVFgCjXiY

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

This Is England 90 was pretty enjoyable. Woody's phone call with his mum and dad felt like a lot of calls I've had with my parents. Everyone seems to be having too much of a good time so I'm sure some horrible poo poo will happen as the series goes on. Glad its back though.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Padje posted:

Was the one out of Skins and Game of Thrones in previous seasons?

Him and his mate (Flip?) were in '86 as the scooter casuals, not sure about the film though.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

CherryCat posted:

Why is there a rejected Noel Fielding clone wandering around on the Great British Menu?

Was he the one serving fish and chips on pieces of "art" he made instead of cooking? Christ, I hated that oval office and his stupid tattoos and stupid white blazer.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I eagerly await Pompey Shores. Wait, no I don't because it would be horrendous

Less fake tan, more terrible tattoos and misery

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

I've recently been getting into Gary: Tank Commander as its on Netflix, and it's pretty good. I assume this was on BBC Scotland so that's why I never saw it when it came out?

So it's weird to see Greg McHugh go from tanned, camp, cheerful Scot in that to dour, nerdy and slovenly Scot in Fresh Meat. Still, that's acting I suppose.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Konsek posted:

Does anyone know if there'll be a third series of Detectorists?

Doubt it, the Christmas special seemed to wrap everything up pretty well. As much as I loved it, I think doing any more would be a mistake. Toby Jones should do more sitcoms though.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Not strictly TV programme related, but anyone else use the iPlayer app with Chromecast from their phone? It seems random for me whether I get the cast icon or not and I can't find any reference to the problem online. Stuff like Netflix works fine. Android on a Google Nexus 5x in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Anyway, I'd rather have bake off chat than more robot bollocks, but I recognise that's because of my own innate hatred for engineering of any kind . And fun.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Ive always though PhoneShop was very underrated and really funny. So, you know, try that too.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember thinking at the time that Phone Shop was the worst thing I'd ever seen, but I'm sure something even unfunnier has come out since.

Badults springs to mind. And gently caress the lot of you, PhoneShop was great.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

oceanside posted:

Good shout, cheers.

Yeah, Babylon is great. I watched it at the time and couldn't believe it didn't get renewed for another season at the very lesat. One of the best police shows that's been made in recent years.

I welcome suggestions for any shows along these lines from any time, I just narrowed by time period because I've probably seen or at least heard of everything that's been made since 2006. When I was re-watching the ones I mentioned I couldn't believe some of them hadn't been on my radar in the first place.

You've seen The Fall right? Other than that, I rewatched Jonathan Creek recently and enjoyed it even though it's pretty goofy.

On the subject of cop shows though, I stumbled across Operation Good Guys a couple of years ago and that was pretty watchable. Not a drama though, more of a Office-esque comedy. Anyone remember that?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Browsing iPlayer the other day I saw they have made a Keeping Up Appearances prequel called Young Hyacinth and it reminded me that I believed that Richard from that show died falling out of a hot air balloon for years. No idea where I got that idea from.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

A detective series based in Norwich called Swallow

Swallow is a detective who tackles vandalism. Bit of a maverick, not afraid to break the law if he thinks it's necessary.

He's not a criminal, you know, but he will, perhaps, travel 80mph on the motorway if, for example, he wants to get somewhere quickly.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Just binge watched all of Fleabag on this thread's recommendation. Pretty good, though I couldn't shake the feeling of being annoyed that everyone in it is ridiculously posh.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Still Game is back! The first episode is just as funny as it's always been and just as loving depressing too.

Visited my brother in law in Falkirk last week and he made us watch a load of Still Game and it was loving rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I was in a coffee shop next to Dara O' Briain a few weeks ago in Edinburgh. He's pretty tall, but I'm taller. Also we have the same name

That was a mirror, Dara.

I sat next to Jeremy Beadle on a plane to Ibiza when I was nine. He made me move out of the window seat because he wanted it. He didn't speak to me much and seemed kind of grumpy, but that might have been because I was staring at his weird little hand a fair bit.