Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Daedo posted:

I really don't know how those two Swedish guys at the end fooled Penn And Teller. At first I thought that switch was sooooo obvious looking and crappy but it turns out that was a misdirect! If there was no card switching involved, then I'm pretty stumped.

They must have misinterpreted "card switch" or lied because there's no way. Whether it be when he took it out the guys mouth or when he put the pliers in his pocket, it's just so blatant he retrieved the card from the deck before the throwing/counting act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I was always a Citv kid, but the one BBC thing I liked was their Demon Headmaster adaptations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Bioalchemist posted:

It gets better, he was freezing it to put in Marks tea.:chef::psypop:

That poo poo's just cold.

Seriously though BB is such a non-entity that it might as well not be there. So it kinda suits Channel 5 like a glove then.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 12, 2011

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

incredible bear posted:

If for some reason you're a failure of a human being and haven't seen it before, The Incredibles is on iPlayer.

Otherwise, it's interesting that a "Disney" film is viewable online for free, surely a first?

Man, it feels the The Incredibles is on iPlayer every 10 months.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Gram-O-Phone posted:

But they're blue! :stare:

What, aren't yours? :smug:

Goons watching Eastenders, you have lost all credibility to me. :colbert:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I keep missing most of Black Mirror only catching "End of Part 1", a bit of part 2, and the last 5/10 minutes. What happened to the lady?

Regarding the ending and window vs screen, I thought of that and paid close attention as the camera pulled back. If you look out a window and move around your view changes based on your perspective. As the camera pulled back the view shrunk within the frame. If it were a screen it would be static.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Wait, are all three episodes going to feature sexual degradation in some form? :stare:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Seriously though if I had an entertainment hub in front of me and I had to ride an exercise bike for money I would be a billionaire by now.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

While not exactly comedy but still seriously watch this. The theme tune is cracking and Tony Robinson is a delightfully informative relaxed presenter who is passionate for it.

I've always watched Time Team, but recently my brother has been watching those tacky American shows on Discovery like Ice Road Truckers, American Pickers, American Chopper, Axe Men Swamp People SonsofGunsPawnStarsHardcorePawnStorageWarsOperationRepo and so forth, and I had to think to myself what an American Time Team would be like and I've just got this horrible image of heavy guitar riffs accompanying montages of digging and the equivalent of Tony Robinson and the Cornish guy having massive arguments and throwing ancient pottery at eachother.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 11, 2012

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(1+x)n = 42.14 where x is, say, 0.42 for 42% is the equation you're looking for, not (1+x)*n = 42.14. Very different.

I suddenly feel very unprepared for the real world.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lets be honest on this, King Brian Blessed. What can go wrong?

Big Boss Blessed.

AAABLUBLUBLUBLBUBLBUBLBUBLBU YOOOSA ALL BOMBAD

You're right, let's do it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sion posted:

That's Boss Nass.

Big Boss is... well, Metal Gear would have been a lot more bearable if the cutscenes were all voiced by Brian Blessed.

For some reason I thought it was Big Boss Nasa, which in retrospect is all kinds of weird :psyduck:

Trin Tragula posted:

METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL GEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAR...?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

At least we got that image out of it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Louis Theroux with autistic kids. :smith:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
No Brian leave the kitty :stare:

I really shouldn't make light of any of this.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
They haven't spoken to him directly but the big round kid with black hair and glasses genuinely seems pretty cool.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Prince Charles did the weather forecast on BBC Scotland. :stare:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I think if it was revelaed in any other order it wouldn't have been as funny, so I'm willing to think it's the happiest of all accidents.

The most "charming" accident.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I liked the odd shots of Louis hiding behind the nearest potted plant in all of the shoots.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's Loki! Don't trust him :ohdear:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I now declare this thread the University Challenge live reactions thread for the next 23 minutes.

Look at those nerds. Look at them.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 16, 2012

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Xachariah posted:

I don't usually watch University Challenge, but neither side seems to be doing very well.

The music and dance university is failing the music round, so yes.

Chemistry student fucks up question on the periodic table.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2012

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

HoldYourFire posted:

Also they couldn't identify a picture of Chicago despite the GIANT loving SHADOW OF WILLIS* TOWER :argh:

*formerly Sears

Edit: Pretty sure Meigs Field (RIP) was in shot as well. Did these people never play Flight Sim 5??

I got Shanghai correct so I can be smug about being less qualified than them. :3:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There was a celebrity encounters thread in GBS a few years ago and a goon found O'Brien and his toy boy in the toilets by a condom machine with not-O'Brien saying "I'll only suck it if it's a mint one."

Left quite an impression.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Episode 3 of 4 aired tonight, but I've really enjoyed Exploring China: A Culinary Adventure. It's a sort of cooking programme presented by Ken Hom and Ching-He Huang and they go to all these awesome and really loving weird places, half of it is the obvious metropoli, but the other half are these totally obscure places and it seeing it and their food being interpreted by the presenters is exotic as gently caress. It's on iPlayer and the last one is next Sunday on BBC2 at 8.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Leovinus posted:

Zora Suleman. :allears:

I was 14 or so. Watched every morning, never heard a bloody word of the actual news.

I like the BBC3 60 second news lady.

"Coming up next is Family Guy."

:allears:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've pretty much made it a rule to always watch QI XL and skip regular QI, less trimming and you don't have to watch it twice.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Three legged donkey...

It has to RHYME!!! :argh:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Wasn't this more well known before? In this thread wasn't there an (albeit fake) transcript of a cut sequence from HIGNFY from the nineties where Paul Merton loving TORE into him? I just assumed it was a thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

Imagining Vicar Academy has one really tall & strong vicar, one vicar who is very small and timid but shouts really loud when they lose their temper, a smooth talking ladies man vicar, a vicar that can mimic the sound of practically anything.

And their church is opposite the Blue Oyster bar.

Clergymen on Patrol.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Crankit posted:

I'd almost like to see Deayton on as a guest presenter, or maybe just guest.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Gelf posted:

I posted about this in the same thread a couple of weeks ago when I heard about this asking for more information about it because I don't live in the UK anymore and it seemed like a very shocking story to me and a few people here snapped that it was innocent until proven guilty. While I agree with that sentiment in all situations, the whole story has left me quite surprised at how much of a shitheel he actually is given how drat likeable the general public considered him to be on television a few years ago. There goes some of the very last of my faith in humanity...

I liked him and I read his autobiography, and he came across as very sweet and was really humble and doting towards his wife and son, and they showed up in a few later programs and seemed alright. When they split up I felt weirdly betrayed because he seemed incredibly sincere about it, but this really takes it.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 17, 2012

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

This is why the lottery thing really put me off him. The horse gambling episode was great. It was a lesson in odds that ended with the punchline 'Of course you can't loving predict which horse is going to win, you idiot. Congratulations, you've lost all your money!'. And then a couple of years later, he does a trick where he seemingly predicts the lottery. I kept thinking there was going to be some huge reveal, but no. That was it. Not only did he not come out and say 'of course you can't loving predict the lottery, you idiot', but he actually defended and stuck by his trick. It was so at odds to his previous work.

I distinctly recall at the conclusion when he summarised all the crazy possibilities, he ended with "Or, it's just a trick."

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Do we need a Young Apprentice thread?

Apprentice Goon Group assemble? :ohdear:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Giedroyc posted:

Giving it a week before the first random accusations about Clive Dunn's sexuality.

They don't like it up 'em.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Giedroyc posted:

I'm relieved ITV is getting new idents, they've had the current ones for about 7 years. Are you listening BBC? now get some new ones too, or scrap the one where there's a bunch of bikes and one of them is clearly out of synch with the others because it's annoying.

No because the moment they show it off the response will be "Waste of money flagrant spending rabble rabble rabble"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

thehustler posted:

12.9m people tuned into the BBC for the fireworks. That's stupidly large.

I can't loving see them outside my window, why not? :colbert:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I didn't watch, but it appears the lady is part of the Richard III Society who's sole purpose is to improve the public perception of Richard III.

Keeps some people off the streets I guess?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Ponce de Le0n posted:

I haven't seen it in a while but i like how fast schofield and holly go from grinning ear-to-ear at a funny segment to doing their most earnest concerned faces at some woman who's son was eaten by bears or some incredibly, incredibly horrible thing.

Also it was insane seeing phillip hand his list of suspect internet nonces to cameron live, this morning is a weird show if you think about it.

This Morning is pretty great with Phil/Holly (or Dearnot/Holly this week) because it's such a relaxed atmosphere (in contrast to the husband/wife pairings) and it feels self-aware; even when you have crazy people on or whenever they bring on former Apprentice lady, it's not about giving them a platform, it's deliberately structured to neuter them. And then we go to Gino in the kitchen with something lewd.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

justcola posted:

I have become strangely drawn into Tough Young Teachers (or whatever it is) on BBC 3. The teachers themselves aren't tough and come across as being a bit poo poo, though the children are quite entertaining. It's like watching an extremely watered down version of season four of The Wire intercut with the teachers dribbling out some nonsense about wanting to make lessons fun and engaging, when we all know the most fun and engaging lessons appeared at the time to be quite oppressive.

I also like the Limmy bits. And the Cunk bits, but in that other show, not this one.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm sure this wasn't the shows original intention but I'm basically watching it to see all of them crash and burn, which a couple of them are doing in spectacular fashion as early as the second episode.

Next weeks though (with the pupil/teacher bonding and the posh one going shooting) looks cringe worthy - hopefully he accidentally shoots a kid or something.

I haven't watched it yet but I have a friend who's an NQT and says its quite accurate, but they also seem to have gotten less training than she did. I have a bad feeling that it's just a bunch of unbearable wimps to feed your schadenfreude and the public perception of teachers rather than the more realistic "it's often a thankless job and it occupies your whole life but there are a few moments that make it really worthwhile" which Educating Yorkshire touched on a little bit more.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

My g/f is a Special Needs Coordinator/teacher for her school and, I kid you not, she starts working at the school at 7.30am, works through the whole day, then comes back home and works til 9/10pm, Monday to Thursday.

2 weeks of her summer break are also spent preparing for the new school year too.

Yep, this sounds about right. Her New Years resolution was to stop working after 1pm on Sunday, and at least one of those was a dud already. It's constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Probably. Also in that vein,Ali G

Also, Borat became way bigger than Ali G, but that's not UK TV anymore.