Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

feedmyleg posted:

Quick question that I've asked before, but I'd love to hear more opinions: I'm an American who loves QI and likes 8 Out of 10 Cats and also really likes listening to The Unbelievable Truth. Are there any panel shows of similar quality? Radio or TV.

For radio, it'd be worth giving Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

Talking of that Derren brown Enigma show, did anyone notice that the guy reading out the random words said "purple", "monkey" and "dishwasher"? Internet things in real life!

Simpsons quotes in real life!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Ian Hislop.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I miss the Queen presenting Blinda Data on a Saturday night. :smith:

If you were Santa, what kind of Santa would you be?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Well, if you love David Walliams on panel shows...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rednoseday/24hourpanelpeople/

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Why was The Queen hosting Nevermind the Buzzcocks?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I was clicking around Youtube and found something I didn't expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYFC25VFiY&feature=related

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Well it is C4 and they did repeat the Brasseye special...

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2011/nov/26/frankie-boyle-interview

quote:

Do you like anything, comedy-wise at the moment? Stewart Lee, perhaps?

It seems to me [he's] irrelevant and flabby. OK, you don't like Russell Howard; that's fine. But don't put on your posters "a new kind of political comedy". Yeah, without any politics. Crisps? What the gently caress is that about? People internalise marketing. You sell yourself and people sell stuff to you. He ends up going, "Michael McIntyre, Russell Howard, not like me." What the gently caress is that? Sick of that old washing powder?

Well I guess we can't all make Tramadol Nights

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The youthful anger of Frankie Boyle.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Jeremy Clarkson, who has controversial opinions for money.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Just watched the first episode of the Bleak Old Shop of Stuff.

Rather enjoyable.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Brainwrong posted:

Coppers is bloody brilliant

I prefer Coppers

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Just a Minute on BBC 2 is a wonderful thing.

Yeah, I just finally noticed it today myself and I'm really happy it's happening. Even better that it's running daily for the two weeks.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

And still have room for a smarmy joke from Ollie.

Well if the show follows our current political climate I have some bad news...

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You might very well think that it goes completely off the rails towards the end of the first one and is much the worse for it

and I'd agree.

Yeah, I enjoyed House of Cards, got to the end and wonder what the hell had went wrong.

Read the plot for the second one and realised that train wouldn't re-rail.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Jonnty posted:

Incidentally the radio series is playing again on Radio 4 Extra at the moment. Listen to Richard Herring fawning over Julia Sawalha then awkwardly remember that they actually ended up going out years later.

My favourite part about that is the story of them on holiday in Thailand. In a pub, the owner says that Julia Sawalha looks just like Saffy then goes on to tell her that the real Saffy had visited the pub a few months back.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Sion posted:

Why are you 'oh'ing? Is this a thing that happened?

It's happening in the next season.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Mr Owl posted:

Was Mr Blobby that funny/terrifying back in the 90's? He was the best thing on the Big Fat Quiz of the 90's last night and I swear he was awful on Noels House Party!

I have the same memory of him being outright awful back then and I was genuinely laughing last night.

It's also the one, and probably only time I will find Jack Whitehall funny. That was real, genuine terror in his eyes as he saw Blobby walk on.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I thought I hated Mr Blobby...

Turns out I just hated Noted Murderer Noel Edmonds.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

No smoke without fire!

Seems like they knew. Or at least someone on the Sorry I Haven't a Clue production team knew and leaked this out there!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

What is on BBC 1 right now can't possibly be something that can't even exist.

Jim Henson's rapidly rotating corpse has a lot to answer for.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

I think the BBC is trying to destroy Saturday night TV forever. I Love My Country makes me wish Threads was real.

BBC's grand plan to punish us all for not watching The Voice involves pissing on Jim Henson's estate and a Question of UKIP

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Despite their libertarian sillyness, I managed to overcome that to really enjoy Fool Us as a concept, I wish there was more of that.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

justcola posted:

My new favourite BBC 3 show is a dating show where a guy goes on a blind date but everyone wears facial prosthetics and it is terrible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03wcmdc/Sexy_Beasts_Episode_2/

"In this episode, Alex the demon seeks to find love with Belinda the tentacled-monster"

Oh, so it is an anime.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

onoflalks posted:

Stewart Lee's in this week's TMWRNJ RHLSTP (it's up on iTunes now, not yet on the British Comedy Guide).

The video one has some bad news at the start, TMWRNJ isn't going to be on DVD at all now :(

Yeah, I was wondering what the deal was with that sad announcement. gently caress.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Trilobite posted:

Yes, almost certainly; besides avoiding human contact being a major part of his general comedic persona, I'm guessing the hand was selected as a fun little prop he can wave around to add a little interest to the presentation.

I've never seen any Crystal Maze before this, but it was okay. (Maybe someday I'll get my dream show where Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding team up to solve mysteries.)

I super enjoyed the small touch of him just walking off at the end of the show as quickly as possible as the team celebrates.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Wezzo posted:

I thought it was surprisingly fun too, extremely compelling - and with minimal spoilers, I enjoyed the connection between the first two episodes.

Yeah, that convinced me they know exactly what they're doing with this show.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I now have the "Let's Meet the Contestants" song from We Need Answers in my head

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Some incredibly strong Partridge energy from Richard Madeley at the start of This Is My House this week with his OJ Simpson story.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

"So many wrong'uns you know. We did OJ Simpson, Judy and I, yeah, about 6 months after he was acquitted, it was obvious within about 3 or 4 minutes. That isn't the same as proof in a court of law but in terms of that" *slaps chest* "It was obvious he was lying"

Two days later I am still thinking about this and it brings me a lot of joy.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Every so often the following thought pops into my head:

You're not a bad guy, Nish

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

That second episode of Jimmy Carr's I Literally Just Told You.

Holy poo poo.

Which star of World War 2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

More children's gameshows should threaten kayfabe death. I remember obscure family channel (?) gameshow The Big Dish because they just randomly "punted a kid out of an airlock" to round down from 51 to 50 in their 100 contestant gameshow but anything from the last ten years? Not really.

For years I've been trying to remember what this show was called for the exact reason of child murder via space death. I could never find anything through googling it because all I remembered was some kind of giant swinging spiked ball that getting hit by sent you to the cold depths of space.