Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

King Crab posted:

That honour would probably belong to Zsa Zsa, ughh, what a terrifying lady. Jojo seemed like a really nice girl, she was always giving dudes a chance, even the old dude!

I'm surprised Lucy hasn't gone yet though, she is a pretty good looking welsh girl.

Yeh Jojo is adorable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Not only did Lucy get a date, she also managed to bag one of the most popular guys of the series so far. Good on ya girl!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

eating only apples posted:

Watched it religiously last series. I absolutely loved the crazy drama with Hillary. And batshit Mary with the donkey laugh! Rob and Timmy were deserving winners, bless 'em.

Ugh no, they were slimey fucks as evidenced in their reaction to the scouse couple who outed the voting conspiracy and to the irish lads straight afterwards. Pissed me off that they got to the final alongside Hilary. Do love a bit of coach trip :)

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Kin posted:

What is this School of Comedy on C4 and why is it so unapologetically shite of the smelliest order?

New series? I remember watching the start of the first series in confused horror but I thought it was quite funny towards the end.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Thought last nights psychoville was excellent although the close up of silent singer reduced its creepiness factor. Also saw some of that nightshift on iplayer - great stuff!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just started watching the last episode of Night Shift on iPlayer, Georg is a cold son of a bitch wow.

How about that ending, didnt see THAT coming! What a brilliant comedy series though, recommend you all watch it while its still on iplayer. Really hope they bring over the rest of the trilogy.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
None of these Saturday morning shows can come close to Tizwaz!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Cant wait for celeb big brother to start tonight, suck it haters! ;)

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I think its the same production company so should be unchanged except no Davina. I must admit I was getting sick of it myself, mainly due to the increasingly obvious interfering from the producers and biased editting of the highlights show. Still the celeb one should be a laugh.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Good god celeb BB was awful! Was surprised to hear kerry swearing like a trooper too, Davina would have gone nuts at that. Still, im sure once the fighting starts it will be as entertaining as ever :p

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
God that was amazing!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
This celeb bb lineup is pretty good so far, hope Madsen goes apeshit!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

Anyone else enjoying The Hotel? (8pm on Sunday, C4) It's one of my favourite things on telly at the moment; not at all demanding, usually pretty amusing, and manages to depict the brash idiocy of one man without being overly malicious.

The first series was pretty good. Set in a different hotel but you really came to like some of the characters in the end. Was disapointed when I found out this series was in a different hotel but that first episode was enjoyable. The manager seems useless!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Fangz posted:

Jesus, this Louis Theroux documentary on dementia is the most harrowing thing ever.
And yet at the same time showing the power of love. I wanna hug that old couple so much, what a true gent John is :S

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Fans of street theatre should watch last nights program about the giant puppets event in liverpool on iplayer. I was lucky to watch a fair bit of this amazing spectacle and the program has some great footage of the massive puppets as well as the backstory to the event.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
It was possibly just the edit but it seemed to me that both he and Graham were willingly taking a backseat to enjoy the amazing chemistry between William and Miriam.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Watching "The revolution will be televised" now and I concur that its bloody awful. I dont see the problem with diplomats being exempt from the congestion charge either, is this really a thing folk are bothered about?

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Cerv posted:

They're not.
They're exempt from taxes. Which the congestion charge is not. It's a charge for a service.
Certain countries - not all - have been skipping payment for years now. It's exactly as if they just decided not to pay tube fares.

Yeh I got the wrong end of the stick there. It was still a poo poo segment though...
"Pay your congestion charge"
"No comment and wheres your ID"

StrawmanUK fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 23, 2012

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Mickolution posted:

I absolutely love Nathan Barley and so do almost all of my friends, but it never caught on with a lot of people. I think it was made now it would be huge. At the time, maybe the type of people it's satirising weren't as widespread as they are now, so it was only relevant in certain areas of London? I'm guessing here, but when it was made, there were no people like those depicted in it around where I live, now they're everywhere. Also, the "Cult of Brooker" would have led to it being a lot bigger now, whereas then he was "that guy who wrote TV Go Home" and some stuff in The Guardian to me. It was Chris Morris who was the bigger draw at that stage.

I think youve nailed it. The characters were ridiculous at the time but there are Nathan Barleys everywhere now. Morris really knows how to predict the future just like how Brasseyes CGI was over the top when first aired but seems rather tame these days!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
This olympic parade has been brilliant. What a turnout for the athletes!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Double Happiness posted:

(the lingering shot of the "Doner Kebab pizzas" the family were buying from Iceland seemed a bit "HAHA POOR PEOPLE LOL").

Woah there, Iceland sell donner kebab pizzas?! Ive been shopping in the wrong supermarket all these years!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I grew up on that estate, so I definitely watched it, looked about the same to me. The main thing I took away from the episode was wondering if their were many North West goons, or even any from Blackburn. I know the idea of a Northern goon meet has been thrown around before.

Born and raised in St Helens. Currently a scouser!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

meme posted:

Got a lot of family in St Helens. Used to drive to Birchalls for a pie every sunday! currently scousing at liverpool uni!

Edit: Or Pilkingtons? the place with the amazing pies.

Pimbletts! Sadly closed now

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

thehustler posted:

Still watching Wanted on YouTube. Saw my house in Blackpool fly by some tracker's car window.

There must be other fans of this show on SA!

Loved this show too. I always suspected that the producers cheated as they seemed to catch the runners more often than not? I didnt realise the viewing figures were that bad as the phone boxes that the runners spent the live show in always seemed to be surrounded by massive gangs of kids by the end of the show!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
For some reason I thought Fresh Meat was that other comedy series that featured 2 of the inbetweeners actors so I pretty much ignored it. All the talk of it here got me to binge on all the episodes so far and its pretty good. Jack Whitehall is very good in it *choke*

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I think he meant he thought there were two Inbetweeners actors in it, but there isn't

Nah, i was getting it confused with *off the hook*, which was another comedy series about first year students. It also had one of the guys from the inbetweeners (not 2 of them as I also mistakenly thought) and was pretty poor.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Flatscan posted:

A lot of them are like that. Firemen turning firebug happens more than you'd think.

Fires are pretty drat awesome though!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

meme posted:

I think he was probably conflating Fresh Meat with Friday Night Dinners, seeing as they are similar shows on the same channel and both have Inbetweeners actors as main characters

I explained myself a few posts up. I was confusing it with "Off the Hook".

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I've really enjoyed the new red dwarf. Its possibly my biggest TV surprise of the year as I was convinced (alongside everyone else) that it would be utter turd. The vending machines are a great addition to the show.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Irisi posted:

Not that I can remember. Just an adorable baby elephant, dying in the drought-struck landscape, while its' mother watched over it helplessly and the rest of the herd moved on...

:gonk:

Ive always found the moral dilemma for naturalists interesting. I know the prevailing view is not to interfere at all with nature but I don't think I could stop myself from helping out the animals once filming is done!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

goatface posted:

Naked mole rats are actually studied in great detail because of how amazing they are. They can live for ~25 years, mammals of similar size normally live for ~3. They don't get cancer, it just doesn't happen to them. They have metabolisms that can slow to allow them to survive food shortages that would kill any comparable creature.

They are AWESOME.

After reading "Railsea" by China Mievelle I'm also terrified of them!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I find his stand up to be better than his ~wipe appearances. His personal politics have soured me to the man though.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Jonnty posted:

What does "acting the geezer" mean? Speaking in a slightly rough London accent while down the pub?

He came across like a twat in the interview in the train cab where he (insincerely imo) was talking about how people are too obsessed with money and that it doesnt matter whilst he himself is earning £50k+. I certainly dont begrudge train drivers that wage by the way!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I really like Derek, and I find the message a pleasing counterpoint to Gervais' public persona.

Yeh I feel the same, my Grandad has recently been put in a home so that certainly makes it more poignant for me.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
3 2 1..ACTIVATE!

Robot Wars was ace, I loved it when the flippers (ie Chaos2) were dominant. Was never a fan of the pincers like Razer. At the time I was always curious as to why the last series or 2 featured really crap robots. Years later I heard that the reason for this was that the top teams withdrew from Robot Wars because the robots were becoming more and more expensive to make and they didn't want them trashed by the house robots (as losing robots tended to be). Not sure how accurate that is though!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

My uncle was the team captain for Killertron, and I can confirm that the teams were paid nothing beyond the 500 quid for qualifying in a series. To this day he believes his robot was deliberately taken out by the house robots because he had raised a big stink about the lack of adequate compensation for 'Roboteers'.

Killertron is best remembered for being thrashed by a piece of cheese in series four.

Brilliant! Seems to back up what I heard too. I can't blame the teams either, those robots in the later series must have cost 1000's to make. I saw an advert for a new show on Syfy that seems to be robots fighting each other (real steel style). Will probably be crap but could satisfy that robot wars "machines beating the poo poo out of each other" itch.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

There's also the McDownward Spiral, which is where you get a chicken sandwich and the cheeseburger, and put the cheeseburger inside the chicken sandwich.

NOOOO, you put the chicken burger inside the cheeseburger and its known as the McGangbanger. Its delicious!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Aha, Glastonbury is actually loving awesome and one of the best weekends its possible to have. I honestly pity folk who get the wrong impression from the TV coverage. I hardly ever go to the main stages aa theres just so much better entertainment on offer. Then again, please carry on hating as it means less competition for tickets!

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

The sound mix on the Stones set was terrible. It sounded like a half-hearted karaoke.

The stones were great for me because it meant the areas I wanted to go to were relatively quiet. Watched a bit of the coverage and apart from the usual obsession with shite *flavour of the month* bands, they seem to be showing a fair amount of the more interesting aspects. The TV coverage wouldnt intice me to go though I must admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Its really loving bizarre the warped impression people get of glastonbury solely form the bbc's coverage and how the associate it with bbc presenters. If you speak to anyone who has actually been they have a completely different attitude that the people who only watch the bbcs coverage. Id love them to feature literally anything form the dance village or block 9 but nope lets see a set from a band we'll show again at reading in a few months time.

its weird that the bbc are consistently rubbish at live music coverage.

Block 9 represent! Spent ages there this year. I could watch hours of circus field coverage personally. Ill be gutted if I dont get tkts next year.