Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Xachariah posted:

Well, I haven't heard of invisible ink which resolves itself when being gently rotated in a circular motion so I stand by what I said. :colbert:

Except maybe something like a reverse ecth a sketch or colour e-ink I guess, I dunno.
The motion is misdirection, the ink is probably resolved by heat, like in his glass melting trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I was wondering if there would be a '2012 wipe' this year, looking forward to that. It'll be interesting to see how -wipe will work as a studio based program.

Screenwipe was great once Brooker cut down on the masturbation jokes and Newswipe was absolutely stellar.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The ill fated-flight took place on polling day. His ribcage wasn't the only thing that was crushed that day.

The pilot was later convicted for threatening to kill Mr Farage with a gun.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I understand why someone wouldn't like Noel Fielding, but I do not understand why anyone would outright hate him. His 'random' comedy is at least imaginative and his burblings are very rarely objectionable or hateful. He us utterly, utterly harmless.

Also I'll take Amstell's cheeky takedowns over Lamarr's flat spite any day of the week.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sion posted:

http://comedychat.co.uk/2012/09/05/comedians-using-their-fans-for-co-ordinated-safety-in-numbers-bullying/

It's a good article. Simon Pegg did a bit of this too before coming back 24 hours later and saying 'I was being a knob. sorry...'
Welp there's my positive opinion of Noel Fielding gone forever. What a poo poo.

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Not Going Out is good
It just won't be the same without Tim.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I saw Jimmy Carr live once. I won't do that again.

If you want comedians who tell jokes rather than bang on about how clever they are, you cannot go wrong with Time vine or Milton Jones. Eddie Izzard and Ross Noble are obvious picks, but they both do stream of consciousness extremely well. If you want something a little more political and thoughtful honorary Brit Rich Hall does that and also sings.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Paperhouse posted:

I started watching Peep show from the start again recently and I'm a bit surprised at how much I loathe Mark in it. In almost every episode he's just this pathetic, mean, manipulative liar with virtually no redeeming qualities. David Mitchell's acting is also not that good, much worse than Robert Webb's. I'm finding myself preferring the Jeremy bits far more
Mark definitely started off worse than Jez, but over the first few series Mark sort of stabilizes while Jeremy becomes more and more cartoonishly selfish.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsayV15X9y0

Oh deary me!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Don't forget Wet wet wet, JLS and McFly!

And of course 1471:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOcpDPGYgVA

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My favorite Only Connect moment was when the host read out a letter complaining that numbering the questions with Greek letters was 'pretentious'. It was at this point she revealed their new set of Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

sex pervert posted:

It looks like they've just wanted to completely change the style of their ads from jokey to mushy but have been obliged to use Paul Whitehouse in it. Maybe a contractual thing. Or maybe he is just very cheap. He ripped off Saxondale in the fishing one. Bastard.
There was that life insurance one with the 'He's actually a ghost' twist, although it did have 'jokes' prior to the mawkish ending.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm glad the panel of celebrity guests was just for the film review segment, going on the iplayer thumbnail I was worried they'd be there for the entire show. Those 4 minutes weren't unwatchable either, unlike Stanhope's section. Usually he's at least making some kind of a point about something but this time it's just a bit of his stand up I guess?

The rest was a pretty good mix of Screen and Newswipe.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Captain Mediocre posted:

For all its flaws, Brooker's weekly wipe is a hell of a lot better than than the BBC's previous attempts at semi-comedic weekly news summary shows. It's unfair to hold the programme up to the ridiculous expectations this thread has of Brooker's work, especially considering that his show now fulfills the void previously occupied by stuff like Russell Howard's Good News and Mock the Week. You might not like some of his opinions about a film he watched, or how he had a disagreeable guest, but surely his show is a huge step forward from all the other shite news analysis shows we've had in the past few years.

As far as Doug Stanhope goes, yes he has lovely political opinions but that doesn't mean you have to automatically hate his comedy. There are lots of people who can be funny despite believing unsavoury things about the economy, and its pretty childish to espouse a reactionary dismissal of their work on that basis alone. Particularly when its as non-political as the kind of segments Stanhope typically gets on Brooker's shows.
I hadn't realised weekly Wipe had such a good slot, that's a hell of a step up. I'm convinced that you could replace every episode of Mock the Week with looped footage of a room full of trained seals honking and clapping and no one would even notice.

As a fan of Top Gear I agree that you can enjoy someone's comedy despite their (awful, awful) political leanings, however I just don't find Stanhope funny at all. I do sometimes enjoy his Wipe segments: my favorite is probably his takedown of Late Night US comedy, it never made me laugh, but it's at least insightful.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
This has been the case for many of Brooker's Wipes. I recall Newswipe had it's Compilation episode pulled forward to the 5th so they could give the Lybian Earthquake the coverage it deserved.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

StrawmanUK posted:

3 2 1..ACTIVATE!

Robot Wars was ace, I loved it when the flippers (ie Chaos2) were dominant. Was never a fan of the pincers like Razer. At the time I was always curious as to why the last series or 2 featured really crap robots. Years later I heard that the reason for this was that the top teams withdrew from Robot Wars because the robots were becoming more and more expensive to make and they didn't want them trashed by the house robots (as losing robots tended to be). Not sure how accurate that is though!
My uncle was the team captain for Killertron, and I can confirm that the teams were paid nothing beyond the 500 quid for qualifying in a series. To this day he believes his robot was deliberately taken out by the house robots because he had raised a big stink about the lack of adequate compensation for 'Roboteers'.

Killertron is best remembered for being thrashed by a piece of cheese in series four.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

onoflalks posted:

This Morning with Richard not Judy (it's pretty unlikely this is going to make it to DVD, so YouTube and the like are where you'll find this)

Stewart Lee even has a handy section on his website with embedded youtube links to all 18 episodes of TMWRNJ: http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/video.php#tab3

Also on the subject of obscure and forgotten gems, Operation Good Guys was a fairly amusing mocumentary. It ran for three series although the second and especially the third moved away from the original premise somewhat. It's available on DVD which means all the clips of it on youtube are unfortunately region blocked.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
All the episodes from the new series of Horrible Histories are available on the iPlayer until September.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Stephen Fry is a a sometimes suicidal manic depressive so maybe cut him some slack if he's said something dumb on twitter or made an off-colour joke about Waitrose.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

One of the best Big Show sketches is the tiny fire brigade, as I recall it is only available as a DVD extra.

The ball shop sketch is forever my favorite. It's just so... succinct.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Raeg posted:

What is on BBC 1 right now can't possibly be something that can't even exist.

Jim Henson's rapidly rotating corpse has a lot to answer for.

This is somehow worse than don't Scare the Hare.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FractionMan posted:

Today at work I made a joke about a Bargain Hunt card game. I then spent 15 minutes drafting up an idea of how it could work as a card and dice based team board game and got a lot of positive reactions.

I'm very tempted to make a prototype version on my week off.
This already exists. It's not team based, but there's a board, there are cards and two sorts of bidding dice (going and gone).

It's much better than the Pointless board game, which is complicated and poo poo.

The best Board game version of a game show I've played is definitely Bullseye, which came with a reversible magnetic dart board. A fiver well spent.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The We Are Klang tv show was loving hilarious and it is a travesty that it never got a DVD release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M0vSe9isPE

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Man, gently caress Nick Knowles.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I love Greg Davies' and Man Down was a hoot.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Mongrels doesn't deserve to be on the same list as Little Britain.

Because Little Britain is loving awful.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

PriorMarcus posted:

The American remake of The IT Crowd was actually really loving good and it's a shame they never took it past the pilot phrase so we could see the concept reach its full potential.
Did they make a second pilot or are you actually insane.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

stickyfngrdboy posted:

David Blaine, in his newest thing that was on channel 4 recently, just stabs himself in the arm or hand with a metal spike , in front of famous celebrities like Will and Jayden Smith and Ricky Gervais. It's very realistic. Tedious, though. Very tedious.

He also went on a mystical journey to learn how to spew water from his mouth like a hose pipe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhOqqTCx7g&t=261s

AMAZING.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Holy poo poo channel four's winter olympic ad is loving glorious.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Crashbee posted:

Definitely going to have to catch this, Jam is amazing and horrifying in equal measure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o04BRVSy_5c
The first time I watched an episode I found myself slack jawed and dribbling afterwards.

There is something wrong about Jam.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The complete lack of mystery surrounding the main plot was balanced out pretty well with all the little side mysteries this time around. Unlike the last episode the humour was nicely dark rather than weirdly silly. All in all, a solid step in the right direction.

The digs at Sherlock would have been more successful if Sherlock hadn't pulled exactly the same joke in the Wedding episode Seriously, "Some sort of Meat knife?" versus Blood Icicle crossbow bolt . Not to mention Creek is just as bad on the 'huge assumptions over tiny details leading to ridiculously improbable conclusions front.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

The Michael McIntyre Chat Show

Oh god
The funniest thing McIntyre ever did was when he made that boy cry on Britan's got talent.

What I'm suggesting is a show where Michael has to, by any means necessary, produce actual real tears from celebrities' faces. Imagine instead of asking bland questions, has to restrain Lord Sugar using only one arm so the other is free to administer the pepper spray. Or maybe a present a moving slideshow of Lilly Allen's dead pets.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7NDP8V-6A

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
After the talk of Cosgrove Hall's Discworld adaptations on the last page, I'd like to recommend their other Prattchet based series: Truckers. It only came out on DVD last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbcezezY7Y&t=29s

Between Truckers, The Wind in the Willows, Dangermouse and Count Duckula, Cosgrove Hall dominated my childhood VHS collection.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Series 1 & 2 of Red Dwarf are an almost completely different show from the rest, so I can see how someone would like them and not the later stuff.

Series 10 wasn't consistently good, but it was a huge step up in quality from the drek that was series 8. I hope they bring back Holly in some capacity, the show's just not the same without him/her.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's probably not a great idea to believe Bob Mortimer's anecdotes.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
When your autobiography starts a murder enquiry you're probably on to a best seller.

pandabear posted:

British villages have their own little bake-offs with top bakers? Adorable. (I'm guessing it's similar to US State Fairs, where pies/cakes are awarded, but it's cuter because it's British.)
GBBO is very much inspired by the baking competitions you'd find at traditional village summer fêtes, also please gently caress off with this creepy Anglophile garbage.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

pandabear posted:

Oh, really? That's so much cuter than American fairs where bakers just drop off pies and cakes for judges to taste and then have them on display forever encased in some weird exhibit hall. :allears: (Sorry you're so mad.)
I dunno that american thing sounds quaint as gently caress. I bet they have really great accents and use adorable turns of phrases.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Gotta love a show that starts a series by reading a letter calling their use of Greek letters pretentious, before unveiling their new Egyptian Hyroglph based system.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Evans is awful and going from the relaxing early morning nonsense of Wogan to that ginger prick literally and repeatedly honking a bicycle horn on air was an enormous mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I like the occasional episode of Midsomer, but I can't imagine sitting through all of them in order. You can't possibly have run out of better murder mystery shows to binge. There are so many.

Lewis is good it has Sergeant Hathaway's unfortunately shaped face in it.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 26, 2016