Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

LE0N posted:

That, in my opinion is the best thing about him though. His hilariously dodgy past, just allows him to go "well ive been there" and no-one bats an eye. I don't get the hate because we can all say "oh he is picking on scummy gutter-snipes" but when we all see them in the street we think exactly the same thing, he just says it. To their faces.

no sorry

while i'm aware of class war i'm on the wrong side sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

My childhood was pretty lacking in fish related violence, fights with disabled kids, accidental flashing, etc. The Inbetweeners is unrealistic in exactly the same way skins is, it puts realistic characters in exaggerated scenarios that convey how excruciatingly awkward and embarrassing secondary school can be. It's just that Skins does it for emotions other than embarrassment and is consequently a much better show (S1&2 only).

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Sion posted:

Oh come on it's mostly inoffensive comedy that actually gives a few decent laughs. There are a few good lines, a few decent physical gags in each episode and it's not actually that bad. It's also given a rather duff spot late in the evening on a monday on BBC 1. It knows its market is people that think that the BBC's comedy output has become crude and needlessly mean (it has) about a lot of things. I remember a while ago in this very thread someone saying "Why hasn't that The Thick of It but with the NHS show been given more prominence?"

Well because an actual punchline in that show was the phrase 'maybe it's a prolapsed anus?'

It's not a show that's out to pick up the viewers that are the sorts of people in this thread. The people in this thread are, by and large, very well served by peep show, the IT crowd, the thick of it, that NHS show thing that I mentioned, the inbetweeners. All of those shows share a fairly obvious common thread and it's a little disappointing to see people in here flinging poo at it because it's not to their taste.

It's bad

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Remember when northern people paid to be reminded of things they do every day ?

eat oatcakes

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Americans get out

Anyone sympathetic to Americans or their comedy get out

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

keep punching joe posted:

When you die and go to hell I hope it's an eternity of watching On the Up and Keeping up Appearances.

Edit: And Goodnight loving Sweetheart

daffy oval office

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Meltdown321 posted:

I hope you paused for a suitable period of time so that the canned laughter could identify this as amusing, otherwise i`m not sure some people will understand.

am ah bothered?
      /

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Seinfeld is trash and all it influenced is how to make yet more terrible cultural exports by a country of retards who barely understand the concept of sarcasm.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

The Perfect Element posted:

loving hell, I return from the pub to find this thread with 84 new posts?! I think all you people who seem to absolutely detest pretty acclaimed shows should maybe back up your opinions with some kind of argument, else you're pretty much the kids who will just dismiss a book as 'boring' and feel that is sufficient.

For my part, I feel that what a lot of the Seinfeld haters have failed to recognise is the way in which it differs from the vastly inferior shows its format has spawned. There's a deep underlying core of cynicism in the show that I think a lot of English viewers would enjoy if they gave it half a chance (rather than dismiss it because it looks like Friends, and the music is loving awful). The characters are greedy, selfish, lazy and want to do little else but get laid, but they're still friends and enjoy hanging out with each other, and that chemistry is what really makes the show work. The same situation pretty much exists in any Graham Linehan comedy - albeit with more wackiness - so I think the guy who held up Black Books as some kind of comedic paragon ought to reappraise his criteria for what he thinks is good comedy away from some kind of jingoistic snobbery.

I'd try to write about why I think Curb's great, but it's half two in the morning, so gently caress.

yes because entertainment of purely subjective value requires you to back up any possible dislike.

I'll give you a report anyway:-

Ok i'm now watching seinfeld

It's poo poo and you're a prick

Now how about you provide an arguement about how Seinfeld is good? Or rather don't because the counter arguement is always going to be 'shut the gently caress up you seinfeld liking twat'

Tardstar fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 24, 2010

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

fuf posted:

You guys are really terrible posters and I don't even know what you are trying to argue anymore, if anything, but I'm gonna respond anyway.

If you don't like Seinfeld: whatever, people have different tastes. But to claim it is objectively "poo poo" puts you in a pretty small minority.

If you think Seinfeld is formulaic: this is pretty hard to argue because the characters and almost every storyline on the show were original. I really don't see much similiarity between Cheers and Seinfeld at all. Cheers (and most American sitcoms) was about basically decent people and the dynamics of their relationships, usually ending with some feel-good message where lessons are learned. Seinfeld was about horrible people with no redeeming qualities screwing a bunch of people over. None of them ever learns a lesson or forms a relationship that doesn't end in hatred or death.

If you think Seinfeld was not influential: I guess it's pretty hard to demonstrate what influenced what, but Seinfeld was very popular amongst critics and comedians and ran for a really long time. If you don't think it was influential at all then that also puts you in a pretty small minority.

And obviously there was good comedy before Seinfeld.

Use the key two keys over from the L key, not the key above the tab key.

and there you have it gentlemen. Scientific proof of why you can't possibly dislike Seinfeld. At least not without becoming... a pretty small minority.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

pisshead posted:

From what I can gather, he hates Little Britain because it's made by people from the same class as most other British comedians, and that it makes fun of people that the left-wing media dedicate their lives to pretending to care about. His point is mainly bolstered by a quote from a random poster on an internet forum.

Btw what the gently caress happened to Charlotte Church?

And I thought you were just being a troll in D&D

but no, you're consistantly hateful.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I have a manbaby draw full of ds games. Batteries are scattered throughout the house usually under furniture.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

themonkeythatcried posted:

Ooh, I didn't realise this was just going to be a regular version of their Alternative Election program. I love Mitchell, I love Carr, I love Brooker even though he's always awkward in the live segments and if you're gonna use a token girl presenter then Laverne is pretty much your best option. Definitely gonna be watching this.

This is getting tedius now. I realise there has to be a debate on the value of women comedians at least once a year but are we really trying to say Lauren Laverne isn't on the same level as the other 3? I realise some of you see David Mitchell as a possible friend you could take to the pub while the scary female is controlled by the moon but come on have a bit of respect and stop making smarmy arse remarks about token girl. If you don't like her then just say so instead of making cruel insinuations that her comedy career is some kind of terrible accident.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

MoPZiG posted:

I agree that the Daily Show is tired. I attribute that to their success and the fact that none of their correspondents can trick the yokels they did segments about.

This show might be interesting if youve never read or seen Mitchell, Brooker and Carr's other material. Its really a direct transcription with a studio audience (why?).

Well thats what you get with Jimmy Carr. A true A-list comedian wouldve evolved his act at least after the 2nd DVD.

What is a true A-list comedian other than something vague that means "someone I like more than jimmy carr"?

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Kin posted:

It's also hilarious watching the morons in there kick off with knee jerk reactions that anyone who disagrees with them is a flat out racist, racist, RACIST, RAAAAAACIIIIIST.

This is why shows like Episodes are thing that actually happen.

But what they said was racist. Horribly so. And anyone who has no problem with it is racist. It's like if they'd gone on about blacks stealing tv's or jews stealing all the money and then complaining that people are too quick to shout racist when they call you out on it.

You're a racist and so are half the people in the top gear thread. gently caress off.

Tardstar fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 6, 2011

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Kin posted:

Dr. Who is a poorly written and filmed travesty of a show. We need less shows like that loving up the "image" of the sci-fi genre on TV and more shows with a similar quality to that of the Shadow line.

Outcasts was also rubbish.

There's so little good sci-fi on TV right now that something of an extremely high calibur needs to come out or eventually networks won't see the value in producing any at all.

Kin being wrong again.

Taear posted:

It's not really realistic, it's more that they attempt to explain it. It's not just magic with another name.
Just compare Star Trek with Doctor Who - although the former isn't exactly hard sci-fi or anything, it still has a bash. Dr Who never does.

Not really, it just makes up particles and violates physical laws using technology. Which is basically magic.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Fatty, dorky, Lt Mctits, angry black man, bad commander, Lt. Bland Jesusfinder, Chloe, Asian Chloe, Other asian Chloe, A lesbian, Beefy lucian alliance man and Rush.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

ChuckDHead posted:

But hey, I'm probably a privileged misogynist

Yeah probably.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He's really not suited to QI. The only northerner who is is Johnny Vegas

This is what southerners actually believe. Lee mack is poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
You know how the tories are currently destroying the country? Southerners vote for them consistently :smug:.