Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

No chat about Wonders of Life? Watched the first one last night while really tired. Not all of it went in, but really enjoyed it. Looked amazing too and the bits where he was talking while diving into that lake were hilarious. Next week is about the evolution of the eye, which should be amazing.
It almost felt like a beautiful combination of BBC's "Life" and Sagan's "Cosmos". Brian Cox owns and the previous two "Wonders" series (Solar System/Universe) were really excellent. Of ourse, Cox got quite a few angry tweets last night about believing in evolution. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MrHat posted:

It sounds like the kind of thing I might enjoy, if it wasn't presented by bloody Brian Cox! He's just too irritating for me to get passed.
Ohh and why the hell does the BBC hire a particle physicist to talk about biology?
What's irritating about Brian Cox? Also he talks more about physics and energy than actual biology. Dude's a scientist in either case.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

I can see why he might, but he come across more like a little kid who's really enthusiastic to me.
Yeah, if you look at any of his TED talks (which you should) it's pretty apparent that he's passionate and enthusiastic about what he does and science in general. After listening to hours and hours of Karl Pilkington's drivel, it's kind of strange to hear a Mancunian say such intelligent things in that accent but I don't find him to be smug at all.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Nice one, I'll check those talks out. I assume they're on Youtube?

I listened to the first couple of series of the Infinite Monkey Cage radio show he did and they were ok, but I can't stand Robin Ince. Now there's an insufferable smug oval office.
Enjoy.

I'm not too fond of Ince either, though I have a tiny bit of sympathy for him considering Ricky Gervais effectively tortured him both mentally and physically for a very long time.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

How about Mr Hawking?
A lot of people probably think Hawking is from the States because of his accent.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

poo poo yes. When is S3 of Mid Morning Matters meant to come out, anyway? And what happened to the Christmas special?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A bit more info on the Alan Partridge movie. Nice to see the old cast and characters back, especially Dave Clifton. I hope they get to recreate the whole bouncy castle/low-speed chase from AP's autobiography.

It's a "can-do-go" siduation.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tally posted:

Watching that in the cinema is going to feel just wrong, I'll wait until the DVD so I can watch it on the sofa as nature intended. As long as the big plate is there somewhere I'll be happy.
There's a part of me that is really amused by the idea of going to a theater to see the mundane goings on in the life of Alan Partridge on the big screen. Although the format was a tad different, In The Loop worked really well in theaters, so there's that, assuming Iannucci has his way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I felt that episode of Black Mirror was somewhat of a letdown. The "twist" was good and pretty terrifying but I can't say the same about the buildup. About halfway through the episode I pretty much figured out the whole thing which didn't help but I can't really add that as a criticism.

Every other episode has been very good though and I'm quite impressed with the overall production value. The whole thing reminds me of a less goofy and more cynical version of The Outer Limits. The second third episode of the first series has been my favorite so far, not sure if I'm too keen on it being made into a movie but we'll see how that turns out.

E: VVV That's the one. :doh:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 19, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He did a bit about CSI on You Have Been Watching where he mentions the resemblance. It was also pointed out pretty blatantly on the 2010 alternative election edition of 10 O'clock Live.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Philomena/Barry stuff is always the low point of the show for me. Stanhope can be hit or miss but at least he's sometimes funny.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Flatscan posted:

Funny how nobody had a problem with that part of the programme until they started taking the piss out of goon-favourite Brian Cox.
I didn't think they were taking the piss out of it, really, and I'm a huge fan of everything Cox has done. They didn't say anything malicious at all, anyway. I just don't think either character is funny and the joke wears thin almost instantly for me. As for the Tim Key parts, I always skip through them, he's pretty insufferable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Going by the trailers he's still got it, though. I don't spew hate towards Gervais like a lot of people but I'll definitely admit that both Life's Too Short and Derek are pretty huge misses. At least with Brent he's doing what he knows. I'd say Merchant is a key element to everything good Gervais has done if it wasn't for Life's Too Short. And Cemetery Junction.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You Have Been Watching was great so it's not like a Charlie Brooker panel show is that bad of an idea. Actually, just bring that show back.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I seem to recall laughing a lot more in a single episode of YHBW a few years ago compared to the more recent series of Have I Got News For You which now barely raise a chuckle or wry smile from me.

They got to drop a current panel show though, there really is too much of them now.
The only thing YHBW needed was David Mitchell to be a constant part of the panel. Him and Brooker arguing is so drat entertaining. Though granted, Mitchell arguing with anyone is entertaining.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I, Partridge is fantastic also because it complements KMKYWAP, I'm Alan Partridge and Mid Morning Matters instead of just retelling the events. One of the best things was Alan's version of his fight with super fan Jed Thomas; in the show (in reality) he was completely subdued and terrified and in the book he claims he used some form of martial arts to dispatch of the guy.

The movie's gonna be great.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

onoflalks posted:

Here's a video for you all: :siren: the Alan Partridge: The Movie trailer :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDCVtEilrGU

It's actually called Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, although I much prefer Chap of Steel
Yes. YES. It's started. :geno:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I thought it was good. The lack of Merchant shows but it was vintage Brent. His songs were great, too. Looking forward to the rest. And it's nice to watch something Gervais has done where the "mockumentary" style makes sense (Derek/Life's Too Short).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not seeing a link in your post so I'll repost it just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTV62mE1PA

It's awesome.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How is Eldon's show? I've always found him hilarious; he was the best thing about Big Train (and that's saying something) and it's great to hear he has his own show now. Is it a sitcom type thing or something else?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How I've missed Brooker accurately summing up ludicrous news coverage of tragic events. :allears: I might prefer his segment on 10 O'clock Live to Newswipe/Weekly Wipe even.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh poo poo yeah. Back of the net.

"Mr. Porridge!" :3:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No details yet, but Mel Smith just died. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I find Stanhope a bit hit or miss most times but man, everything apart from Brooker himself on Weekly Wipe is just really unfunny to me. I've never liked Cunk or Shitpeas, the 90 second guy does nothing for me and the Scottish dude goes on way too long. It was the same with Tim Key's poems or whatever. Each week it's the 10 minute Charlie Brooker show with a chance of Stanhope as far as I'm concerned.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Oh come on, Harry Enfield and chums gave us the greatest ever sketch to annoy your girlfriend/wife with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Women, know your limits!
All the old-timey stuff from Enfield and Whitehouse were the best, none more so than the Basic Instinct sketch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does The Fall have its own thread? Jesus christ this show rules.

Re: Partridge: Yeah, get the I, Partridge audiobook, especially if you've watched everything else. It goes up to the end of Mid Morning Matters and covers everything (everything) else from Alan's perspective, so things like the meeting with Tony Hayers at the BBC restaurant and the cheese incident come off as him being some kind of hero. It's hilarious.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 14, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Goddamn that The Fall finale. :tviv:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, really. Anderson totally kills it in her role as Gibson. The whole thing is (and has been) brilliantly written, slow burn all the way and the interview scene totally shows that. I could not look away for a moment during it. The ending was somewhat obvious but led to that bit you mentioned which, considering the characters, was tremendously significant and meaningful.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Irisi posted:

Distinct lack of land predators in Antarctica as a whole though, which is nice. Though I suppose if you were all alone, without assistance, and nobody was watching, them bloody penguins would probably have a go at pecking you to death. I don't trust those chubby little buggers; nothing can be that cute without having some sort of nefarious purpose.
Penguins are only cute on the surface. They have a notorious habit of killing, eating and loving their own. Often in that order.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ohh poo poo, I had no idea Would I Lie To You was back for an eighth series. Time to catch up. :allears:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's the best thing when either Mitchell or Mack are up because it's a 99% chance they're lying and watching Mack trying to make obvious bullshit seem true is hilarious, especially since they always give him lies that involve some impossible and demonstrable skill.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There are so many clips I could post about that exact thing, like when Mack got the lie that all his ex-girlfriends' first names spelled out "BERMUDA" in that order and Mitchell jumped at it all :smuggo: asking for the names.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I want to like Dara O Briain but his habit of ending every punchline with a "eeaahh" has ruined every show he appears in for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never found any of the Weekly Wipe characters funny. Nowadays I just skip them and only watch the Brooker bits.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just got through the Worricker trilogy (Page Eight, Turks & Caicos, Salting the Battlefield) and it was terrific. Very le Carré-lite. Nighy was brilliant and it's filled with a hell of a cast (Rachel Weisz, Helena Bonham-Carter, Ralph Fiennes, Christopher Walken). I highly recommend it for anyone interested in UK political thrillers/espionage. It's a slow burner but really good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

New "unseen bits" Would I Lie To You tonight!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

DId anyone watch Nurse? Paul Whitehouse goodness and whoever played the tituler nurse was good too. It's basically that Whitehouse/Chris Langham show that got it's second series torpedod by Langham's noncery.
Was it good, really? I saw a bit of it a while ago while wondering what Whitehouse was up to these days and it looked a bit weak. Whitehouse is genuinely one of my favorite actors of all time thanks solely to The Fast Show and it's just seemed to me that he hasn't had much luck lately getting the right project and the Eddie Murphy-esque makeup/fatsuit stuff didn't seem to be quite that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'll miss Fry on QI, never been a big fan of Toksvig but eh, could still be good. Seconding the recommendation for No Such Thing As A Fish, it's terrific.

ElectricWizard posted:

Time to reinvent QI.

They wouldn't get past the first fact.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Squalitude posted:

It was ok, not his best work. It does get points for reminding viewers that David Cameron hosed a dead pig though.
It surprised me too, though his twitter account did announce it a few days ago but I guess not many people follow it since it hasn't tweeted in like three years or something. I thought it (Scissored Isle) was really good and had some genuinely funny moments. I had to pause it a couple of times because I was laughing so hard. I'm super glad there's still new Partridge stuff being made as they've been promising a new series of Mid Morning Matters for a couple of years now and it's been quiet since. Supposedly they're making another AP movie though which is sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Coogan is 50, Partridge is meant to be 55 or so. Partridge's age has always been a bit off though and his look has also been pretty inconsistent. He looks pretty old in series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge and in his more recent appearances he's looked noticeably younger.