Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

reality_groove posted:

Just to update on Todd Margaret which was mentioned a few pages pack, it should be surfacing on More4 pretty soon, so keep an eye out for it.

Another comedy from the Comedy Lab that gave us Todd Margaret and PhoneShop, Campus, is appearing in early 2011. The team behind Green Wing is behind it so it could be good.

Watched the Pilot when they made that, don't bother. Just go watch Green Wing. It's not to say there wasn't a couple of funny moments, but all of them could have been in Green Wing. You had the wacky superior character, the womanizing old hand, the naive frumpy new girl, the zany personnel staff and it's basically Green Wing in a different setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

lazyjane posted:

The American Shameless, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.sho.com/site/shameless/home.do

I'm not sure.

Far too attractive. Well, not Macy, but (what I think are) the sons and the elder daughter. What's the nearest American equivalent to the Gallaghers council-house look?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
ok what the gently caress is the Morgana Show? It has these bizzare adverts and I have no idea what it is.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

A5H posted:

Naw. That manly thing shoe does with the thumb up/weird face is too much of a turn off.
Also that Irish lad on the date was proper hilarious.
I love this stupid show.

Late but I cannot wait for next weeks to see how the date where the girl accidentally left her light on with that runty dancer went.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

I don't care if he wants to do ad-work. It's just... it's Go Compare. That opera singer is just terrible.

I've always thought that guy looks like a fat David Mitchell anyway, so it's kind of appropriate.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

So I've not seen anything about Campus other than the ads, it's made by the same team that did Green Wing and starts later this week on Channel 4, so should be worth a look. I'm all excited about it because I loved me some Green Wing.

You're in luck then, if the pilot's anything to go by, it's exactly the same as it. Down to the sleazy character going after the klutzy new staff member, the wacky support staff and the insane boss. Like...this could easily be another series of Green Wing.

But that's just what I got from the pilot.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Oben posted:

Pollyanna tests out a solar iPod dock on the Gadget Show:

:drat:

Well...one reason to watch the Gadget show I guess.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Lady Galaga posted:

Why you guys arent watching Shadow Line is beyond me, because it loving Owns.

Too right, though I have just noticed that Glickman and Gatehouse have the exact same voice.

E: Well guess that's not a problem anymore.

And it's really bugging me that everyone keeps saying 'cop'. Top show though.

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 10, 2011

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I've always imagined that they give some of the answers to the panellists tbh

Stephen Fry's gone on record saying no answers are given, except to one semi-regular panelist he didn't want to name. Might not be true but it's always intriguing to speculate who it is.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Wormophile posted:

Christ you're right! I remember looking him up after that episode because I was very taken with his sneery face. The only one I've spotted is that the young watcher recruit who had a lord try to touch his cock got killed in the first episode of misfits.

Don't forget he mugged Mark in Peep Show!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Jeremy Kyle is the best 'issues' show and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. And the fact that the episodes go out at 9 in the morning actually prompt my house, a house full of students, to get up.

Jeremy Kyle: Doing what parents couldn't.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
This is England '88: gently caress Shaun. I know he's pretty much the main character and I really felt for him in the movie, but he's such a whiny unlikable little poo poo in this series. gently caress you Shaun.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I knew that, duuuuh me! :(

It's the usual depressing stuff so far.like Brookside in miniature

But woody did call everyone a oval office!!

Oh god that dinner scene was the most excruciating scene. Does everyone talk over each other like that in the north?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Don't watch it regularly enough to comment, but some of the (I think) new ones are unbearable. The Irish guy and the weird looking one with the glasses especially.

CJ's a massive wanker, but so much so that I really like him. Would love to hang out with Daphne for a while, though.

edit: loving hell, Daphne was on Bullseye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L77E2eaorU

Eggheads is pretty much nightly dinner viewing in student life in my house.

Eggheads Chat

Kevin - Is a robot. Utterly humourless. Reports of him making a joke and smiling are unsubstantiated. Weaknesses: Food & Drink. Has never lost a History round.

Daphne - Like your kindly old grandmother, if she knew everything. Cheerily doddery. Has a love-hate relationship with CJ. Weaknesses: Any music questions beyond the 1980's. Ditto with Film & Television.

CJ - Smug know it all arsehead. Gay. Marathon-runner. Probably the most expressive out of all of them, and the one who loses the most. Jeremy Vine loving hates him. Weaknesses: Sport, Geography.

Chris - The smuggest. Confidently blurts out answers with total conviction, even when they're wrong. Fat. Terrible singer and impressionist, but tries anyway, bless 'im. Weaknesses: Geography, sometimes Music.

Judith - Epitome of old Tory rich lady. Really rather posh. Doesn't keep up with sport except, predictably, horse racing. She was the first person to win the million on Who Wants to be a Millionaire UK. Weaknesses: Sport, Science.

Barry - Cheerfully awkward loser. Doesn't seem like he's playing with a full hand, if you catch my drift. Him and Daphne seem like the most genuinely likable Eggheads. Weaknesses: Some Music, some Film & TV, bit patchy all round.

Pat - Irish, and somehow more robotic than Kevin. Also fat. Probably the best Egghead after Kevin, but somehow with even less personality. Has also won Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Weaknesses: ???? (I don't pay enough attention to know them.

:goonsay: Eggheads.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Muppetjedi posted:

Saturday night TV was pretty poo poo today, so we have nothing better to talk about.

Ahem.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

He's just so... dead behind the eyes.

Are you kidding? He's having a loving blast doing this junk.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I don't get why they got so huffy, and why it's a 'crass little incident' (and my lord that is one pompous phrase), he just seems to needle them a bit, a few pops that are pretty much bait for making an interviewee seem self-deprecating and down to earth, and they throw a hissy. He didn't say anything all that bad.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

HoldYourFire posted:

Speaking of Barrymore I saw him on "Come Dine With Me: Top 30" last night being an absolute oval office. How any of the other guests managed to restrain themselves from dropping zingers like "You think I'm a bad host? Well, at least there's no-one being raped to death upstairs." is beyond me.

When he was on Coach Trip, a few people did make a couple of swimming pool jokes at his expense. Oh Brendan. :allears:

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Capaldi looks like a loving SUPERVILLAIN. It's just that god-damned death stare.

When the Discworld BBC series about the City Watch is made, he needs a part somewhere in there. He'd just fit right into Ankh-Morpork, as someone. Anyone!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Irisi posted:

He was pretty good in Fresh Meat too. The scene where he's having a horrible acid trip and has a complete breakdown over a horse he believes is his dead dad was equally funny and weirdly touching.

Speaking of Fresh Meat, it's back soonish and I just caught up with it over summer, and was really pleasantly surprised. It wasn't that it was completely hilarious and amazing, because it wasn't actually that funny, but I actually found myself caring about the characters by the series end, and the finale is a lovely emotionally warm bubble. I'll definitely be watching series 2.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

It's like he gained weight specifically for that role and then lost it all again straight after.

Except that rather than going back down to Brian levels he pretty much stayed at Statham-chubby.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Rolled Cabbage posted:

A few pages back, but I know Lois and no she's not fed those lines or an actor or anything like that (actually I think the implication is a bit mean).

I don't think it's anything personal but sometimes it does seem like it's a staple thing to 'go over to Lois/Theopia, she says something wacky, we move on'. It's so regular it kinda stops seeming spontaneous. I think that comment is more to the detriment of the show than the person.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Z-Magic posted:

I've only just realised the guy who plays Simon is from Horrible Histories

So was the guy who played Gerard. RIP.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

poo poo. :(
This wasn't the response I was hoping for but I'm not really surprised by it.

Couldn't there be a happy medium, like a BiMonthly Wipe if The Beeb will only order 6 episodes at a time?
I need more Wipe in my life.

You've seen the five other series right?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

StrawmanUK posted:

Aha, Glastonbury is actually loving awesome and one of the best weekends its possible to have. I honestly pity folk who get the wrong impression from the TV coverage. I hardly ever go to the main stages aa theres just so much better entertainment on offer. Then again, please carry on hating as it means less competition for tickets!

I really enjoyed it when I went but was shocked when I came back, watched a couple of great sets I was actually at and they looked like crap on the coverage. I don't know what it is, the sound mixing probably.

In other news I asked in here about advice on working in TV and the BBC Talent Pool and some guys gave me some very realistic advice. I did take that on board, but I'm still going to try and get some work. After all, if I never try it I won't know if I like it or not. I got on the BBC's Talent Pool and am fostering some contacts (it's who you know, yadda yadda) and we'll see what else.

mfcrocker also advised that Bristol's St. George is a shithole. Ah well, I'm moving there. Lot of Bristol goonmeets right?

e: poo poo meant to post this in the UK Megathread.

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 1, 2013

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

reality_groove posted:

As with a lot of C4 successes, it was a surprise hit of the C4 Mash Up a while ago so they've decided to :regd08:. This is the 3rd or 4th time they've done a Cats Do Countdown and there's at least another two on the way.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's much funnier than actual 8 Out of 10 Cats but it's also the only funny thing C4 has put out since...what, Fresh Meat?

poo poo don't mention Fresh Meat, Whitehall chat hasn't happened for ages.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

radioaktivitat posted:

I'm looking forward to Wolf Hall although I'm a bit confused about how they're going to get round the fact that the third book hasn't been published (finished?) yet. Or is this an adaptation of Wolf Hall as in the first book of the trilogy, rather than Wolf Hall the trilogy?

It's just a six episode adaptation of Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. There's room left for another series when the third book comes out I believe.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Whoever it is as Thomas Moore is great as well. They've really emptied out RSC for people who can act in codpieces.

Anton Lesser, mostly found on radio, stage, and bits and pieces on TV (Game of Thrones, Ripper Street). Fun fact, his daughter played Princess Mary.

I worked on Wolf Hall as a runner over the summer so I'm glad to see a few people enjoying it here!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Irisi posted:

He takes off his shoes and creeps in his socks to the blindfolded Annes' left hand side. He shouts for his sword, which is already in his hand, and she gasps and turns her head towards the noise in a panic, but he's already spun silently on his heel to her right, where her neck is completely exposed and...

Thwack. In one clean strike.

During filming he was doing all this flouncy ninja poo poo and muttering that was absolutely ridiculous to watch. The higher-ups would watch the rushes and snigger. They edited it marvelously to hide all that.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

Right, who allowed Jack Whitehall to make a film?

They fired the camera crew from that as scapegoats for everything taking too long. Following that the production hired extra security for Whitehall in case of vengeful camera bods. Lot of problems with BBC3 producers expecting their feature film to be exactly the same as their small-scale studio comedy.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I worked on this series so I'm glad everyone is enjoying it. There was a lot of worry we wouldn't live up to the first season (I didn't work on that one though).

What did you do on it? I know a few people who also worked on it.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Watched the first part of Henry VI in the Hollow Crown series - really good adaptation IMO.

I worked on that back in 2014. Sophie Okenedo is a huge fucker but Gambon is sound as hell and does not give a gently caress.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

as in "do not make eye contact with him under any circumstances when the cameras aren't rolling"

I've worked with Steve Coogan and he wasn't like that at all.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah that's the one but in my book castration is cutting off just the balls not also hacking through your penis I also really doubt he could have sorted out the wound with a soldering iron.

I worked on that series. The severed penis prosthetic was put into someone's lunchbox at lunchtime. Thoroughly enjoyed their face when they opened it.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

Is Robert Sheehan nice irl

I got on alright with him but you can tell he's objectively a big arrogant prick .

Oh god are you Robert Sheehan

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

So when does the 2nd series of Flowers air?

It's on All4 now.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

echoplex posted:

Thanks TD :)

I think Netflix threw in most of the cash from memory, but the BBC had first dibs? I've only seen the first episode so far, waiting to find time for it. The only thing I have to add at this point is that I enjoyed modifying our scale rooftop set models

Oh no way. Did you get on set much? I worked on it too as an AD, only on a daily basis though. Did some time on that roof set too.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
The Terror starts on BBC2 this Wednesday night at 9pm.

This show aired on AMC in the states and BT TV (??) over here way back in 2018. Presumably due to a lack of programming lined up the Beeb have bought it and are popping the whole first series onto iPlayer this Wednesday too.

It's a survival horror show about the lost Franklin expedition, based on Dan Simmons novel. The real expedition vanished attempting to find the Northwest Passafe through the Canadian archipelago in the 1840s. Simmons novel and the show fictionalise the story of the men on the ships, while adding in a creature inspired by Inuit mythology for a genre twist.

If you didn't catch it first time round, I'd hugely recommend it. It's got wonderful dialogue, an excellent atmosphere and the music is killer. Lots of top British talent, and I was surprised it got sent into the TV badlands when it first aired, but I'm glad it's getting another go round now.

Big recommendation.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Testro posted:

Yeah, same - part way through the third episode I thought it was going to be 6 parter and I'd jumped on it too soon, and would have to watch the rest unfold weekly instead of binge-watching.

Forty minutes later, it was all over.

Grim watch, good script, great performances. Standard McGovern offering.

I worked on that show! Really tough to make during covid (shot from October to December last year) and we were holed up in Shrewsbury when the second lockdown came into effect.

Wake up, film at the prison, £3 tesco meal deal for dinner in the hotel room you can barely leave, rinse, repeat.

Really gratifying to see it being recieved so well.

The show nearly went down in the first week due to a covid scare, I think the director spoke about it in an interview. 5 days into the shoot a bunch of cast (including SB) had to self isolate after an extra tested positive. Nearly took the whole production down before we reconfigured and shot a ton of Stephen Graham's story ahead of schedule. By the end of the isolation they had to do we were really running out of stuff to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

GazChap posted:

I hope they at least sprang for a decent hotel, or was it the lovely Premier Inn down the road a bit from the prison?

Bingo.