Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I was wondering what was up with the Buzzcocks episode tonight. Thanks for clearing that up TVIV. I was all confused because Brand was still doing the explicit sexual predator schtick that he's toned down now, Amstell was host and Rachel Stevens was apparently relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Was it this same four who did the Alternative Election Coverage? I quite enjoyed that. Also, to (predictably) go against the grain I actually quite like Lauren Laverne , but then again I am quite a smug douchebag.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Mitchell's pretty much carrying the whole thing at the moment. Probably because he's had the most screen time, but those things don't happen by accident.

Also yeah, lets not have another WNN segment please.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Laverne might not be providing much in the way of humour or insight but she does seem to have a role at least. In a show populated by comics you need someone to act as the straight man just to keep things moving sometimes.

Just don't let her do that skit again.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
There needs to be more swearing in tv. They say swearing isn't big or clever but they're wrong. Mindless swearing isn't big or clever, but specially placed swear words are loving hilarious.

Oh, and I just realised Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is on C4 at 00:10. Why is this on so late? They should've bumped that Locationx3 and Roman Villa poo poo and had it on at 8pm. I might have to risk missing my first class tomorrow to watch it.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Kin posted:

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

I actually cringed.

I haven't re watched the prequels since I was a child (Phantom Menace was released when I was 7), but I've been watching 'em back this month on ITV. It used to be that I always thought people were just being nostalgic when saying the prequels were poo poo. Having actually seen them again... Well, I have enjoyed them (because they're terrible) but the only thing that I actually appreciate more this time is how awesome all those get ups the fake queen has to wear are.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Oh joy, Jo Brand is Best Female Comic. I could have sworn Britain was funnier than this.

How? She has two punchlines: "I am fat" and "I hate men". Occasionally there's the crossover of "Men hate me because I'm fat".

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Oh yeah, I should've really deleted the bit about Britain being funnier. I just meant "how did she win the award?"

Good news for Newswipe fans though, the awards show retains some credibility.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I really hope How TV Ruined Your Life is more News/Screenwipe-Brooker than YHBW-Brooker. That post a few pages back, during the comedy awards, about how he used to take the piss out of the people in TV and is now becoming one of them is kinda true. With the idea behind it, we should be seeing him observing rather than participating, which is always good.

As for Geordie Shore, I know it'd be a terrible programme, but I can't help but get a little excited at the idea because I recently moved to Newcastle.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Brooker's bit was amazing. I quite liked the WatchCrime skit as well, a hell of an improvement over the Tunisia holiday destination thing Carr did last week. I'm liking the slightly more relaxed pace of the show, even if it is obvious some stuff is being cut a little shorter than desired.

^^ Skins sounds so "random", in the bad way. In the "lol I'm so *random*" way.

E: The "professor" needs a slap.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
That's the sort of role Laverne's better suited at here, she isn't an all out comedian and can handle some of the stuff that's not actually too funny but worth covering.

@Skins: Are the token characters of the show now the normal people?

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

A5H posted:

Oh my god I've just caught the end of this 'do we need the moon' show. What the gently caress is this? The presenting woman talks, in such, a, bizarre, manner?

I caught literally the last ~7 seconds of it and got "Do we really need the Moon? Of course we do!". Well, there's an hour saved, I'm pretty sure I already knew that.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
So what sort of things do you do?
Boy on camera: nicking mopeds, kicking stuff in [etc]
Boy off camera: Killing cats... killing cats... killing cats.

It was just so ridiculous all I could do was laugh.
I hope it wasn't true :ohdear:

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Is that a wolf shirt continually in shot behind Laverne's head? I'm watching on a 12" portable with bad reception, if it's not.

Speaking of Laverne, I'm glad that it seems she's got a good role for herself on the show now. The sequence about libraries and the to-camera piece last week worked pretty well, especially when compared to WNN or whatever that shite was in the first week.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I'm only half watching it but Outcasts seems pretty standard fare for BBC sci-fi that isn't Doctor Who: pretty poo poo.

I don't care what anyone says about Survivors though, that show was hilarious because it was so poo poo. It was so poo poo it was amazing, and I'm genuinely and unironically disappointed it's been canned.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
This has been grating on me the whole episode too: Carpathia. I don't think I could come up with a more generic sci-fi name for a planet if you paid me. I don't care if it was actually the name of a ship.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch.

Might not be an Attenborough yet, but he did do a pretty nice job on that Stephen hawking documentary series on a few months back.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
While I actually agree with this Johan fellow on the panel discussion, I can't help but dislike this segment. With the audience present, who I imagine will be made up of liberal people (due to the nature of the hosts and content of the show), it means that just about every Tory that is in a panel discussion never even has a chance to get out of the starting blocks because the liberal panellist only has to say one thing and the crowd practically laugh the Tory off.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, to be fair, the guy who said he was actually working with people actually got a proper, thought out point across after I'd posted that.

Gotta say, Rastamouse looks pretty hilarious. "A reggae mouse that solves mysteries" - Brilliant.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I'm watching My Super Sweet 16 right now (VIVA, another episode along at half past). poo poo is ridiculous. The first venue they had (for £30,000 for the night) backed out, presumably on grounds of taste, and when they got The Savoy as a location she had to go check it out because she was worried her friends would think it was cheap. This is of course after she gets a tailor made dress and a jewellery to the tune of £20,000.

The party's just finishing up now and she's performing a professionally choreographed dance routine with a troupe of dancers. She didn't get the boy though! Haha.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Holy poo poo. The second episode of My Super Sweet Sixteen just took it to the next level just on the gifts alone. They talked to some guests before the reveal and they all suggested a car or some mentally expensive jewellery. Personally I thought a car would be pretty stupid for a 16-year-old seeing as it wouldn't be driven by her for another year. Then it happened. The parents bought her a flat, a fully furnished luxury flat of her own.

I don't even know.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I know it's not running right now, so sorry if this is a bit of a derail, but I finally got around to buying the Misfits boxset. I hate myself for leaving it this long, I've watched everything bar the last episode and the Christmas special in the past 3 days.

My only regret is getting so involved in it so soon after a series finished, gonna have to wait a while for series 3. But yeah, pretty amazing British tv.

So this isn't a completely irrelevant post I wholeheartedly enjoyed HTVRYL and 10 O'clock Live this week. Well, enjoyed may not be the right adjective for HTVRYL, but it was really good. As predicted, 10 oclock live's improved and is well into it's stride now I think.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Thank you Brian Cox, I always wondered what the heat death of the universe was, and he explained it in a way that let me figure it out for myself a little bit, too.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, the man was obviously channelling some of the old Carl Sagan logic right there.

I really enjoyed the programme in full, but then again I tend to enjoy any astronomy-for-dummies stuff I can get my hands on. It kept making me wonder what stuff would actually look like, you know not CGI-ed. All sounds so beautiful :unsmith: Shame we'll never see it :smith:

Speaking of that sort of stuff, this should be mandatory viewing when you get hooked up to the internet, before you can access anything else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
The piece I read in the Guardian made out that he responded (and that Baker asked it) as if it were more along the lines of "how do you manage to sleep at night with all that pressure?" rather than "there's blood on your hands you monster".

I guess we'll have to go back and watch it to actually find out.

ef-sorta-b

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Tim Lovejoy probing Brian Cox about the mysteries of the universe while they're trying to do a muffin making cookery segment on Something For The Weekend has to be one of the most surreal thing's I've seen on TV in a while.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I know this isn't exactly TV, but I've seen radio chat in here before. Just thought I'd let everyone know that, for comic relief, Radio 1 is trying to break their record for the longest broadcast by one team. Chris Moyles (who I imagine most goons hate) and his sidekick Comedy Dave are attempting to break Simon Mayo's record of 37 hours, and going to try and push through to 52+ hours to break the world record.

I know most goons hate him, but it'll be pretty interesting to tune in to once or twice once they get pretty far in. They've just started at 6:30, and said they hope to still be going at 10:30 Friday morning for the world record, but the main goal is 37 hours, so Thursday 19:30.

You can listen and watch (they've got live webcams up) here.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 16, 2011

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

M1TCH3LL posted:

Been watching/listening all day and quite enjoyed it so far. It's an unpopular opinion here, but I listen every day to his show and he's a big reason as to why I got into radio myself.

It's going to be a hell of a lot better come tomorrow though, when he's shattered and narky and will probably say some things he probably shouldn't.

It's sort of starting already. The lead story on Radio 1's news all day has been about both people and the police not taking stalking seriously. Twenty minutes before Newsbeat right now, and they're all making jokes about a stalker Paul O'Grady had getting headbutted by a sheep on his farm. Not the sort of thing you're going to get any complaints for, but certainly something he'd have the foresight to avoid if he hadn't been on for coming up 11 hours.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 16, 2011

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Why is David Cameron allowed in "entertainment" TV?

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
"Y'know what, this year, let's have an all time low"
Amazing.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Just seen an ad on BBC2 as I was in this topic. Apparently Louis Theroux is off to see the Westboro Baptist Church next week. That should be... interesting.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Irisi posted:

I feel sorry for the poor children of the family, and can only hope that when Fred Phelps dies the cult disbands and the younger members can hopefully find a healthier and happier way of living with the rest of humanity.

This was the worst thing about the show for me. These kids (even though some have grown up and finished college) have grown up with all this stuff just forced into their heads that you can't really blame them for it, but only really hate the parents more. Even if the cult did fall apart, even in the near future, these kids are so messed up I doubt that much outside help would help them, if they even wanted it.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Why is the man on 10 o'Clock Live shouting so much?
:psyduck:

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Channel 4 News using a side-scrolling Sonic game to represent modern gaming in the story about PSN being down :psyduck:.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

A5H posted:

Secret millionaire definitely played up the badness of boro. :(
Also if you're worth 41 million quid you should probably give away more than £100k. He spent more than that on a car.

Woah, I didn't bother to watch/record Secret Millionaire 'cos I thought the formula was a bit tired, but I didn't know it was in Boro this week. Gonna have to catch up on 4OD. Do you know what area they were in?

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

Mock the Week was hilarious again. My box missed out on the last 2 minutes though, what was the name of that female comic? She seemed rather strange :raise:

Diane Morgan. MTW's the only place I've seen her, but she did stand out as funny enough the first time around for me to remember her. or maybe it's just because she's Northern like me. She didn't seem to contribute too much this time though.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I can't believe anybody thought Outcasts was going to be any good. It was basically Survivors 2, but not quite poo poo enough to be as funny.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Fazana posted:

Elba has said he is up for a third season, he'd really like a Torchwood style five day event format but considering how much film work he is getting (filming Ridley Scotts Alien prequel atm for example) it might be a while :argh:

Wait, what? I did not know he was involved in that. This is the best news I've heard all day.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
To be fair, she did have a stroke a few years back, or so I hear.

True about the best lines though, she got a lot more technical about websites than I've ever seen on Dragon's Den before. Never thought the Dragons would ask what language a site was written in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I hope somebody else enjoyed My Life as a Turkey on BBC2 as much as me earlier. It's was Natural World special about a biologist who lived with some wild turkeys and took on the role of mother hen to them after they hatched until they eventually flew the coop. It sounds a bit weird, and a bit poo poo, but it wasn't and it was just adorable and hilarious watching this guy walk about the northern Florida wilderness with a flock of feathered raptors in tow.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 1, 2011