Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone else been watching the Time to Remember series on the iPlayer? The Casualties of War episode which I just watched is brilliant I feel, very humbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I heard Jack Dee drove them to tears by ripping the poo poo out of them mercilessly.
http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/842622-jedward-near-tears-after-jack-dee-ribbing
Here we go!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

goatface posted:

Just watched this weeks HIGNFY on iPlayer. Is it just me, or is John Bishop yet ANOTHER comedian incapable of reading a loving auto-cue?

Well, he is dyslexic, so there is that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

Ian Hislop would be funnier if he didn't smugly look at the audience every time he makes a joke.

I like HIGNFY, but it really could use some freshening up. Merton and Hislop are starting to get a bit stale.
Merton always tends to look a bit tired and bored on HIGNFY these days, might be the crappier choice of hosts like Lee Mack. They need to get Brian Blessed on again or something out there like Gordon Brown, that'd be pretty funny actually.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone watched the documentary Love Me, Love My Face?

It's about a chap with Treacher Collins syndrome and his life and how he's managed to get on. Good stuff I think, gotta the admire the bloke because god drat he just gets on with it and doesn't let poo poo slow him down. It's on the iPlayer at the moment and I fully recommend it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What the Christ is this Gary: Tank Commander crap I've just seen on the iPlayer? It's bloody awful.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Metrication posted:

It's been approved today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12631875
Ugh, gently caress sake.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Figured I'd share this with you gents as I've been on a bit of a Sharpe binge as of late, but the remastered classic collectors edition is down from £80 to £20 on Amazon. Are there any other good shows UK wised based around this era?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well gently caress me, Hornblower complete is £10 from £50! I gave it a quick glance on youtube and I'm hooked already. Cheers SeanBeansShako!

Edit: gently caress me Hornblower is fantastic.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2011

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Supreme Court posted:

Why would you write any fiction about the royals and not include Prince Phillip?
That's the easy option.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Chuckles Brothers were on that celebrity coach trip thing a while back. Watching it was some surreal affair in work it's never quite left me. :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

Hah! You think it's more Children of Earth, don't you?
You know for something affiliated with Doctor Who, You wouldn't imagine it to be something like this.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

justcola posted:

Just finished watching Planet Dinosaur. It's a little bit like ultimate warrior, but with dinosaurs, and it's narrated by John Hurt.
This is queued up for me tonight. I'm morbidly watching Britain's Youngest Undertaker for some reason though, it's a bit bizarre to say the least.

Hah, it's in Newport, explains it all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I know I'm like last on the oh god a mad puppet woman on QI train but holy poo poo those things are genuinely unnerving and it's just not my type of humour.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The bit with Bill breaking the panel buzzer had me laughing I have to admit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone here catch this episodes Panorama? with Roma child beggars? Grim stuff, didn't realise this sort of stuff happened in London.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Crankit posted:

Slightly similar to the News Quiz, except it's not panel based, is the Now Show, which is Punt & Dennis looking at current events, it's not on at the moment I think it's a seasonal show. I've never really understood UK TV/Radio schedules.

I've just watched Louis Theroux and some of the guys creeped me out, when the man was holding his monkey, and he got it to kiss him, and it slipped its tongue into his mouth :stare:
There was also a man who punched his cats in the face, and all his animals seemed scared of him, that was terrible :catstare: He also said his baboon took baths with him, I'm kinda hoping that the local authorities see this and close him down.

One thing I've argued with people about is Louis himself, I notice that a lot of people have a cynical opinion of Louis' naive/coy approach to asking questions, stating it's an at of sorts. My feelings are that he's genuinely curious and not wanting to outright condemn or be confrontational with the people he's interviewing and as such tries to frame probing questions in a polite manner, so they won't just close down on him.
The bit with the Siberian Tiger was a bit unnerving to watch.

Edit: Wait, the convention thing about half way is kind of disturbing too.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 31, 2011

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

You fuckers, it sounds like I've missed something else entirely. Anywhere I can catch up?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

You talking about 15 million merits? It should be up on 4OD pretty much immediately
Didn't even realise there was a 40D. Thanks Fatkraken, learn something new everyday.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Rarity posted:

That was amazing. Bing's speech was so good, and to watch even that get turned and twisted by the mass market consumption machine was heartbreaking :smith:
Just finished watching it and the episode was great up until here, then it skyrocketed and became incredible.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Decided to watch HIGNFY before I went to bed, and Christ the editing in the first section pretty poo poo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jonnty posted:

"give me a Charlie"
Bit off topic but this term is synonymous in my squadron with backhanding people with bayonet pouches. Be a bit wary with who you ask it to. Had to post it because it's got my laughing like a right tit.

Will have to catch up the 2011Wipe tomorrow or something!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just got round to watching Question Time, and Christ is Ann Leslie difficult to listen to.

"I've this, I've that, I've then"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Skinner used to be funny?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ouch! Bit of an offshoot here though gents as it's been bugging the poo poo out of me:

In one of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipes there is a section with a little robot which yells out "bullshit detected!". I've been trying to track it down to no avail, does any Goon by the offhand remember if it was Screenwipe or Newswipe? Even an episode potentially as I've been trying to track it down.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

gwaaargh posted:

Do you mean Truth Bot?
I love you, you, you, you star, you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That is loving awful.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

You know, it's good to see some things in life don't change. I was stuck today at work watching Countdown and it's amazing how timeless some things are.

I'm still poo poo at it though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

loving hate badgers, I was on a training exercise weeks ago and our SV hit one, loving hell what a noise it made.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not nearly as poo poo though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

People think Simon Amstell is funny? That's news to me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Leyburn posted:

He was much loved on Popworld and Nevermind The Buzzcocks.

I seen one of his stand up shows about 5 years ago and it wasn't very good. It was one of those awkward gigs where the comedian failed to win the crowd over, so it was an hour of polite unenthusiastic laughter.
Popworld I've not seen and I didn't like him much in Buzzcocks to be honest. I just don't find him that funny, but different tastes and everything I guess.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

After never really getting into it, I ended up watching part of Dragons Den in work this morning.

I'm addicted to it, some of these inventions are something else, how the gently caress is a shed with two locks on it an invention? :psyduck:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone else seen Louis Theroux on Extreme Love? watching the first episode of Autism at the moment and it's a great insight, is there a collection of Louis Theroux stuff as they're a cracking watch.

Fangz posted:

Jesus, this Louis Theroux documentary on dementia is the most harrowing thing ever.
Apparently so, looking forward to watching the dementia one.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dicky B posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=louis+theroux
The first four results cover most of his work, I think.
Well poo poo, I caved. Cheers matey.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

netally posted:

Not to forget... TEEEEEEEETH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkVUQRAmuD0
Now I see where the stereotype comes from, holy poo poo. Where do these people come from?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Giedroyc posted:

Red Dwarf has dated a bit but it's nothing compared to the high opinion they have of themselves (even the poo poo series) on the DVD documentaries. People just didn't 'get' the Cat dancing scene in series 8.

Also the best Jeremy Kyle is still probably http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0sVEJxVQ5Y
Because it's insane.
Hahaha, that the everliving gently caress?

Absolutely unbelievable, same as Leyburn I had someone tell me about this but I honestly thought he was talking poo poo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I got those Louis Theroux documentaries I was babbling about a few pages back and got around to watching them, has anyone seen/remembers watching the Thai Brides episode? This is creepy as gently caress.

Namely the shady old guy in a twat-cap.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nah, that guy was a bit off his head too though. Got married after a single date with one girl, Jesus Christ.

The guy I'm on about was running a meeting agency and just struck me as a general creeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

After I gave all of Louis Theroux's documentaries to my sister to watch while she was recovering from an operation, she specifically got me to watch the Thai Brides one just because of how creepy that guy was. He's pretty undeniably skeevy.
Yeah, a lot of them were. I mean I didn't want to make a passing judgement on the stereotype of people who use a bride-order service but poo poo the bed they didn't do themselves any favours.