Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

meme posted:

Independent olympic athletes should have been announced as "nowhereland"
A flag right at the bottom of the hill with "None of the Above" on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Totally forgot until I caught a glimpse of it last night that Red or Black got a second series. Its scaled down so its just eight people betting on a few games in the studio. It's less flat out random and more actually a game show, but its still Cowell as gently caress.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Giedroyc posted:

1. Father Ted - Great. Terrible cop out 'happy ending'.
I remember reading that the ending to the final episode was originally going to be Ted resigning to his fate on Craggy Island and joining the suicidal Father Kevin in jumping off the ledge but this was changed because:
A. Dermot Morgan died and
B. It wasn't funny.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

quote:

there's no way they would be allowed to [...] drive ambulances full-tilt at unpredictable non-actors
No, almost certainly not. And while it's entirely possible that he's an actor, I also want to throw out another possibility: that it wasn't driven at full-tilt, it was shot and edited to look like it was.

I think maybe that's one of the reasons Apocalypse, and some of his other stunts as well, falls flat. It's edited together in a frantic, fast-paced way to make it feel like a movie. It needs to heavily compress a long period of time while still hitting all the character beats that are integral to the idea of the show being about this dude-whos-kind-of-a-dick developing his appreciation of the value of his life, through the lens of a really out-of-place Wizard of Oz reference.

quote:

instant 'correct' behaviour like saying "Come with me"
Again, editing could be messing this up. They met in, what, a thirty second exchange? But they could have been staring at each other for hours. We have no way of knowing what actually happened and considering that we, the audience, are meant to be the people who know "what's really going on" then that's a massive failure.

I'm a big Brown fan and I'll admit that I give him far more leeway than is probably reasonable, but even if we assume that the participants are genuine, if the scale of the stunt requires that it be shown in a way that feels fake then why f'in bother?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Mickolution posted:

Shame it's only six episodes, seems like the kind of thing that could have gone on longer.
Oh you just loving know that there's a third series of 10 O'Clock Live out in the ether somewhere, waiting.

You don't want to believe it, but you know.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I like him, but it felt weird that his stand-up bit on Wipe seemed to be filmed in a room containing a grand total of three people and a laugh track.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
They had mentioned in the credits during the "Orientation" that they had tazers in case poo poo got real, just wondering if anyone remembers offhand what it was she'd done that got her threatened with it first go round.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Rondette posted:

She was going to look at a phone.
Oh yeah, because it would give the game away if she saw that there wasn't anything on it. Thanks!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Ten o'clock on Channel 4 is now the officially designated Twist Zone. No entry without a twist. Tomorrow's better be good or I'm fuckin' done with this poo poo.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

FreakyZoid posted:

I've not looked at the credits - maybe there's nobody decent on the writing team.
I'm not familiar with what the more esoteric roles are in TV credits but the four presenters are the only people credited as Writers. There's a dude credited as Script Editor, and a lady as Script Supervisor.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I was on 2013 Wipe :D

This has been a good year.
I'm glad they left in the thing you did with your hands.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

goatface posted:

Didn't they already have a series about them?
Never saw it but saw a chat show where Jonny Vegas was ranting about it and it stuck with, I think it was called The loving Fulfords.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Zeb was too real.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

What kinda loser doesn't like to look at cakes?
You can't have your cake and look at it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
1. The Mole.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Any time Hollyoaks comes up in this thread someone posts their "weirdest plotline" and not once have I ever seen the same thing posted twice. It's nuts.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

I never got it either: 'i'm too embarrassed to go see my GP so sure why don't you parade me on national tv'. The NHS would pay for a lot of the stuff too so I doubt it's often a cost issue
I'd hoped people were being paid in more than just treatment for their tragic arseholes.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

WeAreTheRomans posted:

What Zone did he touch you in?
Industrial to start, changed to Ocean after few couple years.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Yeah, its still fun enough, but I am a little bored of people taking "you" overly literally.

"Alex, can you breach the pastries / move the bucket / cry into the egg cup?"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Sorry, The What?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
The Missus?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Rarity posted:

I was genuinely impressed by I Always See You (Doing Cool Stuff), I would never have thought Nish and Mark had it in them.

How long until the next season? :(
I believe a two-part Champion of Champions is coming around Christmas. As for a series, no idea!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
The most wild thing about this series of Taskmaster is that the stand-in for Katy Wix still fits in the proper place in the line-up alphabetically.

A truly strange man, that Little Alex Horne.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
How did Humans end up, anyway? I remember the first season got a lot of buzz but then very little for the rest (probably because Westworld blew up).

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Not only that, but (and take this with a grain of salt because my source is literally "I know a guy who knows a guy"), agents will be quite hesitant to let shows book just their most popular talent, say for instance, Dara O'Briain, but will be much more willing to let you book Dara O'Briain and Bimby Pimbles.

So, if you're wondering, "Why does Tom Allen keep showing up on Cats Countdown?" it is not unlikely that the answer is, "So that Kevin Bridges will be there".

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
“Come watch foreign celebrities you’ve never heard of in Season 7 of the British version of a show that nobody liked,” was never going to be an easy sell.

That they’ve stopped is only surprising to me in that it’s a little part of the broader surprise: that they bothered trying in the first place.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Tea Bone posted:

I'd imagine Derren has some kind of screening process to judge how likely someone is to go along with him before getting them on stage.
I suspect this is the logic behind his thing where he yeets frisbees and whatnot into the crowd to select participants.

It does the job of dispelling the notion that he’s selecting specific planted stooges but I imagine it skews pretty heavily toward people who are willing to actively engage with whatever might be thrown at them.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I think Limmy might have met him at a charity do once, but haven’t been able to confirm.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Do contestants on The Apprentice get severance?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
It doesn’t help the team tasks that Daisy and Richard, the two people least well positioned in the studio to banter with each other, are one of the teams.

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 28, 2020

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

Towards the end, about 40 minutes in, Thorn brings up Webb's tweets about Mermaids back in 2018 and boy it gets awkward.
Ah gently caress, is Webb a Linehan too?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Did they ever reveal Bill’s surname?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

I've watched it without even realising it was by Brooker.
Wikipedia lists it under “Produced” rather than “Written” so I wouldn’t say it’s “by” him in the same way that e.g, Death to 2020 was.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
100% maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wra2ePwi-e8

Good god, this is a lot more rapid-fire than I remember.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
A hundred years ago in America, there was a scandal where some quiz shows were found out to be rigged as they’d given the answers to some of the contestants.

Jeopardy’s weird format is the result of some advertising wank’s bright idea of, “what if we made a quiz where we gave everyone all the answers?” colliding with the reality of that being just a really daft idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Annabel Pee posted:

Is it weekly instead of daily and not having the returning winner format? That’s the best part of the format, tuning in when someone’s been on a winning streak for a while.
It’s daily with a returning champion.
The first ep on NYD was at 5:45pm but it looks like it’ll be at 4pm usually.