Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Was bored and decided to watch Great TV Mistakes on iplayer and it must honestly be one of the worst programmes the BBC's ever made. 2 hours of Simon Webb pointing out that for 0.001s a camera man is visible in the corner of the screen and acting as if it's some shocking moment like the presenter just stripped on live TV.

Only made it a few minutes in before I wanted to kill myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

I don't understand BBC3, isn't that the kind of light entertainment stuff the BBC's specifically supposed to avoid, yet they have a whole channel of it that apart from the occasional gem manages to be worse than the other main channels.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

To be fair, if you didn't know any of the background of Piers Morgan you'd probably think he was just the standard smarmy / arsey TV face. I remember thinking he seemed alright when I was in the blissful naivety of being a teenager before I started to actually come across stories of what a oval office he is.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

LE0N posted:

That, in my opinion is the best thing about him though. His hilariously dodgy past, just allows him to go "well ive been there" and no-one bats an eye. I don't get the hate because we can all say "oh he is picking on scummy gutter-snipes" but when we all see them in the street we think exactly the same thing, he just says it. To their faces.

No we don't.

Surprised to see no Theroux discussion here, another depressing but well done doc. Found myself really confused about everything at the end.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Re Derren Brown, does anyone know how the spirit cabinet is done? Know the original was just the medium but I can't work out how Brown's version is done, at least one must be a stooge.

Also, does anyone else get the impression that Brown is just a new type of magician except instead of convincing people he's magical he just plays off simple tricks as this amazing psychology? I know some of it relies on his being a Savant and I can believe that but I can spot a lot of his leads that he gives for his tricks and sometimes pick out where it's going but it seems too obvious, like it's left there to fool anyone who's looking for it and make it seem like more than it is. Regardless, he's a great showman and great fun to watch, one of the greats.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Honestly, it's no insult to Derren even if it's true because doing what he's done in an age where the majority are cynical (I know mysticism and natural medicine etc have had a resurgence but his audience extends beyond that) is quite a feat, I'd consider myself a cynic but it's only recently I started to really doubt him, like I said because a lot of it just seems a bit too obvious.

edit: As I think the Prestige says, you don't work out the secret because you don't really want to know and I think people who would normally scoff at magic want to believe in the power of this psychology, their own little bit of magic in the universe.

Algol Star fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 8, 2011

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Louis Theroux posted:

Normally I don't do follow-ups. But I'd made an exception in this case because of an e-mail I'd received from one of the fire-breathing young zealots I'd interviewed on my first trip, announcing she'd left the church. She cited our conversations as one of the influences.

She had now changed her life, found a boyfriend and had zero contact with anyone still inside the church, including her family. A little research revealed that several others I'd met on my first visit were also now apostates. This included Steve's own daughter, Lauren.

:3: Bring down capitalism next Louis, TIA.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Early on in Peep Show I think most people can relate to Mark as he's an ok person but a bit strange and since most people have some little quirk and Mark has so many of them there's bound to be overlap. I recently watched through all of peep show and the problem is that steadily, peaking around s4/s5 these things escalate to a ridiculous level and at the same time the characters become such awful, nasty people that I can't really find it that funny because there's almost nothing redeemable about either of them as people.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

They should move pointless to saturday night before who. What a night of TV.

edit: the hare is the working classes and the contestants attempts to complete the tasks without scaring it mirrors the capitalist attempts to exploit the proletariat while using the welfare system to just stop short of revolution. In becoming scared, the hare breaks free of it's shackles and no longer allows itself to be exploited.

Algol Star fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Brainwrong posted:

I'm watching it now for the first time. Are all the acts usually this poo poo? They sound like people who would get booted off an audition on the X Factor

Really? When I saw it I thought 'wow, any one of the guys would slaughter x-factor finalists' especially since apparently the x-factor uses auto tune. I saw a really good west end star get denied and while I thought it was harsh she wasn't really much better than the other auditionees.