Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Gorn Myson posted:

See, I went through it recently and watched it from the beginning and loved every minute of seasons 1 to 6. The quality did dip a bit after season 4, but it took a massive nosedive after season 6.

But yeah, different tastes and all that. I thought I would hate it but I was constantly giggling.

That said, Norman Lovett was clearly the best Holly and when he went the show suffered for it.

I think the beginning of Season 8 was some of the funniest stuff (with the prison and things, "Krytie TV" was hilarious), but I've spoken with other fans and they completely disagree with me. So yeah, different people have different tastes!

Did anyone check out the finale of Waking the Dead? That was some great British TV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

Waking the dead was excellent

Having you seen the "body farm" thing? That looks like it could be quite cool. Although Eve is one of the weirder characters in Waking the Dead.

So sad it's over...

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"I thought you said you weren't going to be here til the morning?"
*Looks at watch" "It is morning"

I like how Waking the Dead resolved the series without actually resolving anything. Boyd is still a wanted man, clearing him requires obscene amounts of evidence (most of it inadmissible and illegal obtained), they can't actually prove that the son was the murderer, and Spence will never work in the police again.

It's a very very clever TV programme, and I agree they resolved it without resolving anything but it definitely feels like the series came to a good close.

Sad to see it go, might have to pick up the older ones on DVD.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

That happens all the time, if a stand-up sees a chance to fit some existing material in there they will take it. They are essentially advertising their live shows and DVDs, remember.

It's expected I guess. I do feel bad for comics because they can play the same show every night at a theatre/comedy club, but the moment they make a joke on TV it's dead and can't be used again!

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

Simon's gone?! Oh man, that sucks. :sigh:

I wonder who they got to replace him. Some guy called... Michael Mac- :suicide:

The only reason I watched it yesterday was to see Michael McIntyre! He's awesome!

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

Also, bejeezus that first show was terrible. Looks like we've used up all of Britain's talent now.

Yeah it did show us how talentless we are really. I'll be honest though, my expectations were very low to begin with.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

goatface posted:

I just can't be bothered watching it anymore. The section overcrowding makes them cut some people off just as they're getting going in the interview, and then they have roundtable debates with the most moronic loving individuals I've seen outside of a question time audience. When they're not doing that, Charlie Brooker spends half his time ranting about the things he normally bemoans people ranting about and Jimmy Carr does some poo poo sketches where he has to mug for laughs. When I do bother to watch an edition on 4od I just end up skipping chunks because they don't do anything other than piss me off.

It just shouldn't be live. If they cut it up it would be fantastic. Right now it's just so hit & miss it's not worth watching :(

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

this is the kind of person who cares about the royal wedding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWKlUi2avo

He sounds like he's on helium.

I'll be honest, all this Royal Wedding poo poo? I couldn't give a drat. We get a holiday from it, they get married, stop talking about it in every loving advert break!

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

The only thing about the wedding is that is spawned this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

Which apparently some people thought was real footage

Some guys in the US thought it was real, which is fair enough because you might think British people can be lively and fun. I think they have yet to realise that we're all empty soul-less grey shells of people.

Kin posted:

A better (and somewhat more bearable to watch) ad would be one that focuses on historical events. Or better yet, one that shows a mock up of what the moon landing would have looked like were it shot is HD before bringing up the wedding. I'm not saying that the wedding is exactly a historical event on the scale of the moon landing, but at least the advert would have a point and with the other historical events given as examples we'd at least have something interesting to think about while the ad is on.

Maybe like that montage BBC or whoever did showing everyone watching historical events on the news on TV? That was actually vaguely interesting... Something like that might convince me buying a new TV is a good idea.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

A5H posted:

Secret millionaire definitely played up the badness of boro. :(
Also if you're worth 41 million quid you should probably give away more than £100k. He spent more than that on a car.

£100k is still quite a lot though. I wouldn't complain at that :D But I get what you're saying, it's not really a very high % of the millionaires wealth.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Gram-O-Phone posted:

And then all their clothes fell off. And I cycled away ... on the grass :smug:

That's loving hardcore.

Seriously though, this Royal Wedding BS is really starting to get to me. I'm going to refuse to watch TV for the next 2 days with the only exception being House tomorrow evening. I will turn off all radios and just pretend nothing is happening and hope when it's over we aren't plagued by loving repeats.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Zorba the Greek posted:

My Big Fat Gypsy Royal Wedding is going to be on in an hour. Why did I love that series...

My better half loves this. I checked it out one episode and it's so bizarre. I think I just like catching a glimpse at such an alien lifestyle through the safety of the television.

Still fasting from TV until the Royal Wedding is over though... Sick of the adverts.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Zorba the Greek posted:

What? Why don't people like Louis Theroux? His documentaries are amazing.

Some people seem to think that he's a bit of a dick. I don't see it personally, the documentary he did on Jberg was fantastic. Going to catch up on this latest one soon :)

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

I hate myself so much right now. My other half suckered me in to "Britain's Got Talent!" and I ended up voting :( drat you Simon Cowell! :argh:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Taear posted:

I hope you voted for Steven Hall. That guy who won was really boring - why isn't he on X-Factor?

Steven was hilarious. For me it came down to Michael (can't remember his last name, he covered "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman) and the Jai (who won). So I put a vote in for both of them, Michael because he was my favourite and Jai because I have Scottish family who wouldn't be happy if I didn't. Sad I know.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Taear posted:

Regional voting is bollocks. I wouldn't vote for someone just because they're from the North.

Yeah it is pretty retarded. But I still did it... Sorry :(

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Well, it was great to see "Mock the Week" back on :) Just a shame that Russell Howard and Frankie Boyle have moved on... :(

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Mock the Week was hilarious again. My box missed out on the last 2 minutes though, what was the name of that female comic? She seemed rather strange :raise:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Taear posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty poo poo, it really needs to be put to bed. So many of the jokes are now really obvious ones, and now that the comedians in it are all mostly famous we've heard their routines a thousand times.

Show has definitely gone down hill since Frankie and Russell left but I still found it entertaining. You get good ones and bad ones with all "news-quiz"-type shows though don't you?

And cheers for the link N3RDSTER.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

thehustler posted:

Mock the Week is so painful these days that even if it had Lee, Herring, Robin Ince, Addison, and 2 other people who I really like, I still wouldn't watch it. They don't really have much to work with these days.

Really? I still find it funny, probably shows how small minded I am... I don't find it that painful, but nowadays I definitely prefer "Have I got News for you".

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Stumiester posted:

Babylon 5, barring most of the first series and half of the 5th series, is some of the greatest Sci-Fi ever made.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that... but it was really entertaining to watch. Seriously did people not like it? I haven't met anyone who didn't like it? :confused:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

boner meter posted:

They could have the best dialogue in the world but the delivery of every single line is excruciating.

Hey it could be worse... *sticks it on*

I was wrong :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

ChuckDHead posted:

Channel 4 have put it up on 4OD, if you feel the need to make yourself very angry.

Watched a bit and bookmarked for later - it seems like it's going to be a good episode, but still showing a bunch of horrible people in a terrible light which is what it does so well. I hope they get their comeuppance.