Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

crispix posted:

Is anyone doing an Apprentice thread?

Paged Rarity, the only competent poster from the apprentice threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

Um excuse me, I'm somewhat of an Apprentice thread legend having successfully forecast the winner several times.

But yeah rarity should do it

Apparently Rarity can't do it so WELL DONE OP I guess.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Apprentice thread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746715

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

netally posted:

The couple were so woefully mismatched. She was completely uptight and he was a total manchild.
They need more of these, because this is basically every kind of met in a bar and settled cause we're late 20s now relationship, aka every lovely update on my facebook feed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It needs a login on the browser for sure when watching live, not sure about just catchup.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It feels bizarre to bring it up in a thread about UK TV, but if you want a good conversational interview podcast, Chris Hardwick's Nerdist podcast is nearly always excellent.

Cherry-pick yourself the Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellan ones as a starter.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

In the latest in the Death of a Pramface SaGa; BBC 3 gets a new logo and god is it both ugly and stupid.

its UPSIDE DOWNNNNN

Is my reaction. drat that's awful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

People put them up and just don't take them down. Walk by any working class neighbourhood and this is largely true. Walk past any council block of flats and there's probably still the very old style ones up on the side.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Repetition, on Dave?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Is there a way to legally watch the Detectorists Season 2 in the states?

I found season 1 on Netflix and it's my new favorite show, but I don't think I can wait a year or more for it to get to Netflix.

AFAIK no-one has yet ruled circumventing geo-blocking as illegal, it's simply a EULA violation of at least one of the services, legally akin to evading a profanity filter on an online game.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

VPNs suck and I don't know why people keep citing them as a way to get around geoblocking. Unblock US or AdFreeTime are what you want. Transparent and cheap. If they don't support what you need (and if it's Netflix, Hulu, iplayer etc you're covered), then you have to go vpn.

VPNs don't suck, are useful for more than geo-unblocking and are cheaper than those services, which are a higher priority target than a VPN due to their singular use and will more easily fall to countermeasures if applied.
There's absolutely no reason to use one of those services.
UNblock US in particular just uses DNS routing and is regularly broken, and as of writing Netflix have stopped DNS ID so it doesn't work. Expect others to follow suit.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

What does a good VPN cost?

thehustler posted:

Like 3 quid a month

Even free VPNs don't struggle with HD streams on netflix / iPlayer, there's not really an issue. Paid ones usually get 20-30mbit which again is more than enough.
You can use either I guess, but his opinion that "[all] VPNs suck" is just not true, at least not in TYOOL 2014-2016 where there's been a huge groundswell in their adoption.

e: the point is, with a VPN netflix et al can simply block known VPN IPs, and the whackamole game is usually in the favour of the VPN users, who can largely just spam re-connect to choose from a large pool of IPs. With DNS fuckery, once the technique has a block on it, you're waiting a while for a fix. i.e. unblock US isn't working with netflix as of this week with their crackdown.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 21, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Unless something has changed, on a netflix original it's available the literal same minute worldwide.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

That was just a half hearted attempt not to be torn to bits as soon as sets he sets foot outside. I can't imagine how terrible would be to be his child and be lgbt or bring back a foreign partner.

Actually it makes it a more balanced article and tilts firmly at mocking people over-reacting to the issues, so good on people for reacting all haughty to a haughty reaction piece.
The irony of people going 'oh no daily mail' when they're literally reading a polarized opinion on someone else's opinion is just stupid.

As a cherry on top, the argument "oh but even if it's just for satire the content is still offensive" is literally the Daily Mail line about Brass Eye on paedophilia, also a piece made to mock over-reactions to polarizing issues.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rondette posted:

Really? Hola seems to be working for me...

Don't use hola, unless you're already going through a non-logging VPN and simply want to disguise the use of a VPN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hola_(VPN)#Criticism
If someone decides to use Hola to do research on how to bomb their school, it's your door the cops bust in.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Might want to just use Google, instead of (accidentally) baiting people into the :filez: rule.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1965 is about when TV ownership hit it's first plateau, with loads of much loved shows starting within 10-15 years of that. Most common old-time presenters were starting out then, and were about 25-30.
Stick 45-50 years onto people who are 25-30 and you get life expectancy.

2016 isn't a poo poo year, it's just going to be how things look until people stop caring about celebrity deaths.

e: this is also about true for the rise of Rock stars; your Dad will be sad often in the coming years as his favourite artists drop off.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

Wait, Terry Wogan was cool? I thought he was a self-indulgent old fart who took Children In Need money.

I don't particularly know or care about that, but it's absolutely true that the chance of a post or Tweet about Wogan occuring this week was about 0.01% without his death. Pretending to care way too much is the new thing in the social media age?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Wormophile posted:

Yeah good point unless you tweeting about Terry Wogan at least once a week you fake.

This is a dumb reading of my post. I was being hyperbolic, but I meant the chance of anyone currently "very sad" having a single thought about him previous to this news is very unlikely.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember watching some trashy documentary about the 70s that had footage of him judging a beauty pageant full of sixteen year olds and by all accounts he appeared to continue the BBC tradition of being a lecherous old creep admirably.

What I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised.

The one where he called her a "big girl"? Yeah, I think he was just an unfunny rear end in a top hat who didn't quite know how to pull off 'Carry on humour' which was very in-vogue at the time. Taken 40 years out of context it sounds worse than it is.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Had to stop at the first chuckle. Holy hell that's bad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Some people take "no such thing as bad publicity" to it's illogical, horrific end.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It's weird how we're brought up with this expectation that buying a house is a normal and necessary part of life. Now it's just a ludicrous impossibility. I literally can't imagine how it'll be achievable.

2 person's incomes and modest expectations of your first home.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taear posted:

I wonder what you consider to be "modest expectations"?

Taking as an example Bristol, since I live here:

2 average salaries gets you an average home an average distance from the middle of the city. Or you can compromise on size / parking / school district and live nearer.
Someone earlier ITT was bemoaning daytime TV for driving the housing boom, but it's really the opposite. Women stopped staying at home watching daytime TV and started working. Mortgages based on two fulltime career incomes becomes the norm and the mortgage power of the average family rockets up. It's not surprising that single-person home ownership is a thing of the past.

The equal pay act came into power in 1970 so by ~2000 you have a whole generation turning ~30 raised in a more fair society, so it doesn't seem a coincidental intersect to me. Of course there's more at work here, with banks giving out loans to every couple with a pulse at that time, but it's hardly surprising a single earner making minimum wage couldn't afford to buy.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

I dont really think a single person not being able to have a home of any sort even if they are well paid is a really great thing to admired and understood

If you understood what I was saying you would see it as essentially logically inevitable. Home ownership is based on 2 incomes. Supply is short enough* that demand has pressed the prices to high points of that.
Person X has one income. Therefore not being able to afford to buy an average value home is pretty much economically unavoidable.

* new homes are also only going to be built at a rate that will sustain the current market value.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Series one and about half of series 2 were great. The backend of S2 was a bit weak.
Series three was a half-assed lovely drama based on the previous two seasons. It was jarring and awful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I dunno, I loved it, but it died for a reason.
I can't see how you can really get around the issues without F1-style sillyrules time, and then people won't watch that either.

It had a golden couple of seasons when everything was wacky-races does robots, but as soon as a small number of efficient designs became the norm people lost interest.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Anyone who doesn't viscerally remember how they felt the first time they saw Cassius flip itself back over can get out imo

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I can't find the source, but I'm fairly sure I remember a large problem with continuing the show, was that in the later era so many bots could completely destroy yours [hypnodisc / razor being culprits] that the incentive to get a bot ready for competition was almost zero. As such they had too few entries.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Can we all just agree Gemini was bullshit.

One robot my rear end.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taear posted:

Razor was made by some university so cost ridiculous money, I hope the new series bans stuff like that because it's totally unfair. I hated watching episodes where Razor blew up something made by a group of teenagers and the teens were all really upset that their hard work was crushed by a bunch of middle aged men with shitloads of money.

You forget "whine about being damaged" because their one-trick design got them stuck a lot. Pussycat beating them twice for it was funny sweet schadenfreude.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rondette posted:

The funniest one for that was Mortis, despite costing upwards of £40,000 to make it never got past the semi-finals. I also remembered being faintly embarrassed at the goony team leader (check out his 'hands free' controller holder at 1:30) and enjoying the fact that their stupid expensive robot kept getting beaten.
For all it's cost, they didn't have a designer. It's such a design-by-committee output rather than the singular purpose designs that went on to win after S1/2. "Oh its got good armour and tracks and a kinda melee weapon and can kinda self right and kinda flip".
Compared to singular effective design choices (lets have a huge loving flipper / crusher / disk weapon) it never really stood a chance.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

SEX BURRITO posted:

Well, I've just relived a childhood trauma. Had forgotten about this show. I spent the entire night thinking I'd just seen Paul Daniels die on air. It's the sort of stunt you couldn't do now because someone would tweet a photo of him alive about a minute later.
Or just cut it like the audience are there when they aren't, which IIRC is how McKenna pulled off a lot of "various large object vanishes" illusions.

RIP Paul, I had your magic set when I was like 8 and fooled my brother at least twice.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really hoped/thought podcasts would've killed any radio aimed at people under the age of 60 by now.

I'm equally confused that people, clearly with internet access, listen to the radio in 2016.

e: every tolerable radio show you might be interested in (Radio 4 comedy or whatever) has a podcast anyway.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I spend about six hours a day in a car with a poo poo radio, it's radio or CDs for me

I can bring you the future present day for £10

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Octy posted:

I guess there's a bit of a melancholy tone to this final series of Fresh Meat, but it is still largely enjoyable. I'll be sad when it ends next week.

I find it a depressingly accurate depiction of being in the 3rd year, and as such it triggers too many memories to be funny at all.
Not sure how I'll feel about the series as a closing chapter until it's complete. I prefer it to S3, that had kinda lost the charm and was treading water.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

When does it get poo poo? 'Er in doors is watching it, when should I start finding excuses?
S1 has seemed allright so far.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

crispix posted:

The Apprentice starts next Thursday, according to a copy of the Daily Mail someone left behind at work yesterday. Is there going to be an internet forum thread for it?

I'll make an even lower effort OP this time, to reflect the show's demise. It still got about 50+ posts a week last year so it'll spam this thread up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you watch it without any pretence that it's actually working to it's premise, then it's still good TV IMO. The format is poo poo in the sense that they let it get in the way of the narrative the show tries to spin each week, which is just a bizarre editing choice. 'Oh yeah here's this team being really good and insightful but TECHNICALLY we said blahblah and so factors out of your control mean you lose.'
And then the boardroom doesn't acknowledge that at all, and it's like "WELL YOU BLAHDY LOST DIDNT YOU!"

But the show constantly has the elements there where any episode COULD be amazing, so stick with it I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I wanted to like Go 8 bit, but so far only Rachael Riley's episode has been entertaining. It's hard to take any aspect of the gameplay seriously, when their resident GAME EXPERT~ (Steve?) rarely seems to have a grasp on the controls. I mean seriously who can't complete one screen of pac-man or spam spin-kick on tekken without messing it up each time?
It also can't work out if it wants to lean on nostalgia trips, or be a general video games show. It ends up kinda flopping about a lot, and this weeks mostly retro lineup (pong finale!) seemed to actually annoy the whole cast.
It also tries really hard to come across like it was shot 15 years ago, before everyone and their nan started playing video-games and trades off really tired cliches of it being nerdy.