Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

I'd love to know how many people are watching this.
Like, I work for Sky and I have no idea, it just seems to have nobody talking about it at all

I occasionally stick it on. It's usually a good time but not something I go out of my way to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

Na popular music doesn't work like that any more
If anything it would be hard to make because music is so compartmentalised you'd have to focus on either the ultra famous Taylor Swift level people or things from the 80s/90s/00s because of how much it's all fractured

This is sort of a problem, since most of the panel don't have the the sort of all encompassing music knowledge you'd need to answer a lot of the questions. Jamali in particular quite often has no idea what anyone's talking about.

That's not always a bad thing mind since it usually results in good comedy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

It's funny they did a kinda "whoa sky one is great, people should watch it" bit for a year or so
Then just smashed it up

Max is pretty much the exact same thing tbh

Except it doesn't show the first season of Yugioh on Saturday mornings anymore. So is inherently pointless.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Adrianics posted:

Obviously the whole show is dark as gently caress but the segments with his Radio 2 show were incomprehensible to me, how in the world was that ever allowed to happen and on Radio 2 of all the stations?

From the doc it seems like they'd just prerecord the show and zero people with any editorial authority would actually listen to it before putting it on air. Utterly bizarre.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EL BROMANCE posted:

but everyone of every age is forced to watch Pixar movies.

:actually:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is Ghosts the biggest sitcom at the moment? I only really ever see it spoken about by other comedians but I don't know anyone that actually watches it.

That said I'm struggling to think of many half decent UK sitcoms running right now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's been on in the background at my house. Bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DrVenkman posted:

It seems the controversy, such as it is, is that Nathanial stated that he was Pan and 'open' to a Trans woman, however his actual preference was for a Man or a woman with masculine energy. I'm pretty sure he's going to leave soon, so it seems like C4 wanted to be able to say they had a Trans bride on without really thinking it through. I don't like the guy that much, but it feels like he's being set up to lose a little bit.

The worst part is the whole "we made the sensible and ethical decision to disclose that she was trans before the fake wedding" thing - since they seem to ignored that Nathaniel requested a man. It seems like they just wanted her on the show and thought the easiest way to do that would be to pair her with the pan guy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I agree these shows edit to gently caress in a way that's manipulative and arguably unethical. But there are also situations where you've clearly said those words and that alone is enough for me to say you're a lovely person regardless of context.

Like Porscha saying she wants to marry a rich guy so she can live off them and never work again. I can form an opinion on her based on that being a thing she willingly said regardless of how her other interactions are edited.

Paladinus posted:

I would hope not.

Lmao

stev fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 5, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Volcano posted:

Are there are at least any cute couples on MAFS this year who seem like they might make it? I need at least two decent people to cheer for or it's not worth the rest of the horror.

Yeah there's two at the moment that seem to like each other. Tasha, Paul, Luke and Jay.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

If anything the only notable thing about the movie is Coogan's excellent performance. Otherwise its just an unnecessary addition to a mountain of documentaries, books and podcasts on the subject.

It gave me something close to the feeling that Netflix documentary from last year gave me. I got a third of the way through it and thought "what exactly am I learning here? Theres nothing in this I didn't already know".

Yeah the Netflix thing was incredibly surface level, basically just the stuff the news said at the time. I feel like it was intended for a non UK audience who might not have been familiar with the situation.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We rewatched Fresh Meat recently and he's surprisingly decent until you remember that he's not really acting and he is just like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Julio Cruz posted:

Karl Urban in the Boys being repeatedly referred to as British

The fact that his parents in the show are actually British comes across like a knowing in-joke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The_Doctor posted:

The only time I’ve been caught out by an American doing a Brit accent was Alexis Denisof playing Wesley in Buffy. His was incredibly good, and I was genuinely surprised.

After watching Sex Education I just assumed Gillian Anderson put on an American accent in everything else she was in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

Karl Urban can get away with the dodgy cockney accent because its just another facet of an incredibly entertaining performance. Its all part of the swagger.

He also says oval office a lot which basically meets half the requirements for the character.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Digital Jedi posted:

Been in a big cop/detective/police procedural/crime mystery kick this month.

I have watched this past month or so
Life on Mars S1,2
Line of Duty S1,2,3
Shetland S1
Unforgotten S1,2
The Tunnel S1,2
Chelsea Detective S1,2
And Then There Were None
The Capture S1, 2
Got few seasons left of some of the shows. And Happy Valley in the queue as well

Tried watching Dalgliesh and Vienna Blood and didn't care for them.
I've watched Broadchurch, Inside Man, The Fall, Luther, Des all in the past

Any shows I'm missing that I should watch?

Slow Horses is alright

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Annabel Pee posted:

Where on earth do they find these contestants? I don’t understand how everyone can take it so seriously and act like there’s skill involved in picking the right boxes. I know you’d never get on the show otherwise but I’d love a contestant one day to just not play along and be like, I don’t know what it’s my box it’s random open any of them.

With Noel's version all the contestants felt like a sort of community. Like you can imagine them all in Facebook groups talking about the show, trying to get accepted onto it and bragging once they've done it. They probably have big meet ups at Toby Carvery once a month, and invite Noel on the off chance.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The_Doctor posted:

Movies do the same thing; they make a limited company solely for the film’s production.

Radiohead sets up a new limited company for every album they release. Which has historically been how fans have known an album is coming before it's announced.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really? He loves you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Both shows were written by and performed by two incredibly white men. A show comprising entirely of white characters would have led to outrage regarding a lack of diversity

Hmm, feels like there might be a better way to make a show more diverse than to slap dark paint on a white man.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I tried watching ITVX on my Roku box to resume a movie I'd started on my desktop whete I have adblock. It went something like:

Sponsored by Candy Crush
Eight adverts give or take
An itvx indent
Sponsored by Candy crush
An itv preview for something
Sponsored by somebody other than Candy Crush

Exactly numbers/orders might be off; by that point I was watching it like some performance art of hating your customer. Finally the movie started after I don't know how long, but it decided to forget where I was and show from the start.

I'd finished my breakfast by that point, so turned it off, lesson learnt.

For us there's a 50/50 chance that loading a new ad will just crash the app altogether. It's a horrendous piece of poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gavin & Stacey and Him & Her are two sides of the same "a cast of a weirdos revolves around a fairly boring couple" coin.

Gavin & Stacey is incredibly light and fluffy, and as others have said Horne and Corden are a pair of cunts. But it's a nice bit of easy comedy and some of the observational humour is great.

I find Him & Her to be genuinely bleak and often uncomfortable. Watching an abusive psychopath have a breakdown for 20 minutes isn't very funny. But overall it has a lot going for it.

I like both. :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

Man that show is hosed
I have no idea why it carried on going with Taylor Lautner but it's maybe the only example of a show where it's like that (as in the entire premise of the show got hosed by someone leaving in series 1 and it KEPT GOING after it)

Carrying on with Taylor Lautner was one thing (and worked out fine imo). Carrying on with Andie MacDowell for another season after Taylor Lautner left was ridiculous.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Brassic Christmas episode was quite nice if a bit naff. Imelda Staunton is fantastic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah she's clearly funny and talented, it's just unfortunate that she grinds panel shows to a halt which affects the energy of the whole thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aaaaaaand Rickroll!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

Dragons Den is just a marketing exercise, where you’re buying access to a Dragon’s Rolodex for a fee.

“I’ll give you 100k for 40%”

Ok, so you’re saying the entire business is worth a total of 250k after your investment? The whole thing, the idea, the prototypes, the team, everything? (The typical valuation of a random Seedrs raise is at 800k-2m)

No, you’re saying “this is worth more, sell me a large chunk at a huge discount and I’ll open doors for you”.

I love that these people actually think the dragons care about investing their time and so called expertise into these businesses. At best they'll make a little show of being hands on with one or two of their investments, because it's a good advert for the show.

Same goes for The Apprentice. Who in their right mind thinks Sugar will actually be a 50-50 business partner with them? The man spent fourteen hours a day on Twitter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Meet The Richardson is definitely no more; Jon and Lucy are getting divorced in the real world.

I've never seen a single episode of Meet the Richardsons but that's still pretty gutting. They both seem like lovely weirdos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought it was just 4 now? Or did it change again?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can understand being insecure about your own success but being upset about your own wife's success is pathetic af

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I wouldn't judge him too harshly based on something some goon just made up.

Betjeman posted:

Bit of presumption about him there

Sorry I should've clarified if that's what happened it's pathetic af

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I still enjoy WILTY whenever I catch it but that relies on having good new guests. David and Lee drag it down a lot now though since they've told every story conceivable at this point and mostly just make the same jokes back and forth at each other.

But yeah the format feels like it's on its last legs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

fully aware there's different comedians for different tastes but genuinely don't understand who Tom Allen is meant to appeal to

Tom Allen appeals to Tom Allen.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually enjoys him. He must be related to someone in TV, or he has dirt on someone.