Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

It's hard to detect sarcasm over the internet, but you were joking, weren't you? Please say you were.

He was. Either that or he needs to be euthanised for the good of us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

shadok posted:

Not only is the UK system not unique, but more countries in the world have television licenses than not, although a lot of them allow their state channels to advertise as well. Unusually, France is currently moving back to a ban on advertising on the state channels.

The "my license fee pays for this crap" is a near-universal lament.

Have you ever seen French TV? I'll take any amount of Dancing with Mice or whatever poo poo the BBC pumps out in primetime over that.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Akuma posted:

That would get me to watch Eastenders. Especially if someone took a cue from Nicholas Cage in the remake.

Ian Beale dresses in a bear costume and then runs up and punches Bianca in the face.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The pHo posted:

Also, after finding out that Louis CK is the sole writer, editor, director and principal star of 'Louie' (which is far better than any of the UK comedy output of the last few years) which had a 13 episode first season and is set to come back 9 months after the first episode aired... British comedy really has no excuses anymore. 5 episodes for Pete versus Life? Seriously? I presumed there'd be at least the standard sixth episode given that there was no 'finale' feel to the last one at all.

Try reading a newspaper once in a while. The commercial channels are pretty much broke and the BBC is bracing itself for a vigorous buttfucking from Murdoch's Tory chums. This results in slashed budgets and reduced runs for unproven programmes and the cutting of anything that even remotely resembles dead wood.

If you think things are bad at the moment you've got a nasty surprise coming.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fatkraken posted:

Are we all exactly the same age in this thread?

Nah, it started after I left school.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Figaro posted:

Poor Jamie Oliver, these people are awful.

"How dare you tell me easy ways to adopt a healthier diet and live a longer happier life?!!!

People might react a little better if he wasn't such a smug mockney oval office about it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

I still like the Charlie Brooker post-coital Guitar Hero story.

Mid-coital actually.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

c0burn posted:

Says it all really

God drat, I wouldn't roll over her to get to Guitar Hero.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

A new series of Reggie Perrin starts on Thursday :eng101:

Oh dear god, why?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Graviton v2 posted:

You did not like that?

It wasn't a patch on the original and Martin Clunes is a talentless gurning twat. The only way it could be worse is if it had a crossover episode with My Family.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pablo Bluth posted:

BBC3 is to broadcast a six part drama series about Lesbians. With lots of sex.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/09/lip-service-bbc3-lesbian-drama

I think we can be confident that no heterosexual males will be watching...

Laura Fraser :love:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

marktheando posted:

It's not been broadcast in the UK for like 30 years or something.

Er, yes it has, quite a few times in fact.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quanta posted:

That's what I initially thought when the first Whitechapel was about to air, but I was pleasantly surprised by 30 minutes into the first episode. Give the 2009 episodes a watch. If you liked the first episode of Sherlock, you'll like Whitechapel.

I'm surprised not many people have any interest in the programme here. Whitechapel was ITV's biggest hit in 2009 and was well received by the press.

Ok, I'll bite, but if it's poo poo I'll 'ave to cut ya.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quanta posted:

The first series prominently features Steve Pemberton as a creep who lives in his mother's basement. That should be enough for me to escape nerd beatings, right?

Ok, no Glasgow Smile for you. Once I got past the ham-fisted, desperately trying to be Life on Mars relationship between the two leads and the wanky montage editing, it was actually quite good. Steve Pemberton was excellent, but then he usually is. On to season 2, even if the Krays aren't anywhere near as interesting as the Ripper.

Flatscan fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 17, 2010

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ddraig posted:

I always thought the "Scottish people have it hard" routine was pretty old hat and lazy until I was told that Kevin Bridges was born in '86. He's a year older than me.

That's not the face of a man in his early 20s.

Holy crap, I was born in '78 and look younger than him.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Our Middle and High Schools are combined into a neat public school package of suffering and unhealthy school dinners know as Secondary School.

Not sure how the private school system works.

Pretty much the same, but with more Latin and buggery.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Double edged sword with our old telly, I swore it was cheeky when I heard said phrase due to the accents. I can't watch Love Thy Neighbor despite it being excellent because of the white neighbors racism makes me cringe.

At least we were meant to think Eddie is a racist fuckhead and total twat, unlike a lot of American TV of the same vintage such as Diff'rent Strokes which really was racist through and through.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Graviton v2 posted:

They are both funny I think, dont understand the hate Armstrong and Miller gets. That open with them dancing is loving retarded though and I have to skip through it.

Chav Spitfire pilots is excellent though.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No, the worst part is when she runs around in her underwear.

Oh god, I think I just vomited up a kidney.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Sion posted:

Oh come on it's mostly inoffensive comedy that actually gives a few decent laughs. There are a few good lines, a few decent physical gags in each episode and it's not actually that bad. It's also given a rather duff spot late in the evening on a monday on BBC 1. It knows its market is people that think that the BBC's comedy output has become crude and needlessly mean (it has) about a lot of things. I remember a while ago in this very thread someone saying "Why hasn't that The Thick of It but with the NHS show been given more prominence?"

Well because an actual punchline in that show was the phrase 'maybe it's a prolapsed anus?'

It's not a show that's out to pick up the viewers that are the sorts of people in this thread. The people in this thread are, by and large, very well served by peep show, the IT crowd, the thick of it, that NHS show thing that I mentioned, the inbetweeners. All of those shows share a fairly obvious common thread and it's a little disappointing to see people in here flinging poo at it because it's not to their taste.

poo poo sandwiches aren't to my taste either, that doesn't mean they aren't made of poo poo.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Remember when northern people paid to be reminded of things they do every day ?

Incest?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

Seinfeld is better than the vast majority of British sitcoms.

I'd rather be forced to watch Miranda for the rest of eternity, Clockwork Orange style, than watch a single episode of Seinfeld.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Meltdown321 posted:

Frasier was far more my cup of tea. Slurp.

The first few seasons of Frasier were excellent, although it did disappear up its own arsehole for the last few. I've never actually seen an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but from the clips I've seen it looks as funny and entertaining as watching a Crown Green Bowls tournament.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

keep punching joe posted:

When you die and go to hell I hope it's an eternity of watching On the Up and Keeping up Appearances.

Edit: And Goodnight loving Sweetheart

As long as I don't have to watch Seinfeld.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

For its time, Seinfeld was an incredibly new concept, and without it there'd be no The Office or shows of a similar ilk.

Well in that case, as soon as I invent a time machine I know who I'm killing first and it's not Hitler.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

It's got character development, humour, and emotion.

All of which is overshadowed by the comedy blackhole which is Ricky loving Gervais. I loving hated him on The 11 O'Clock Show and nothing I've seen of him since has altered my opinion at all. I did try to watch The Office but I had to keep turning the sound off every time he opened his mouth, which was far too loving often.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

Sorry I brought up Seinfeld back there I guess, but it sounds like out of those people trashing it, nobody has actually watched it.

I can't speak for the others in this thread, but unlike most of the 'spergy fuckers in the US threads I actually stop watching poo poo programmes after a couple of episodes. (SGU is my one vice in this regard)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Leyburn posted:

Roffle are people in this thread trying to pretend that Seinfeld isn't good? Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever. Get a grip people.

Edit: Also, finding Peter Kay funny = BNP supporter. Thank's UK TV IV Thread, I never realised everyone I know, and my entire family were so full of race hate.

Kill them then kill yourself, do the gene-pool a favour.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Leyburn posted:

Sorry for being poor and common. How can I be more like you 'proper' folk?

Poor and common isn't the problem, it's the webbed fingers and toes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The Perfect Element posted:

so I think the guy who held up Black Books as some kind of comedic paragon ought to reappraise his criteria for what he thinks is good comedy away from some kind of jingoistic snobbery.

And I think the idiots parroting the received wisdom that Seinfeld is the progenitor of all modern comedy should realise that Britain has a tradition of black comedy which pre-dates weak poo poo like Seinfeld by decades, if not centuries.
I realise that young people today have a hard time believing anything of note actually happened before their birth, but seriously, there's a reason Seinfeld never took off over here.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fatkraken posted:

I'd say Father Ted owes more to stuff like Blackadder than to Seinfeld anyway.

Exactly my point.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Frank Spencer owes his fictional existence to the genius of characterisation that is Cosmo Kramer.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The Merchant of Venice is a direct ripoff of that episode with the Soup Nazi.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

I know this isn't the 'do you know what this show was' thread, but I was reading China Mieville's Kraken and was reminded about an urban fantasy on children's TV from the late 80's/early 90's that I think was on ITV. It featured a magical underground/hidden London that was split into four(?) kingdoms, one of which was some sort of 'rubbish' kingdom based in the sewers and that. It may also have featured personifications of London boroughs and/or landmarks. Very Neverwhere-esque. Any ideas?

Archer's Goon

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, we're all being arsey now :(.

There's a lot of us English types in this thread, it's to be expected.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it was on Would I Lie To You.

I can't remember if it was true or not.

He did tell that story on Mock The Week as well.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Frankie Boyle's new programme on Channel 4 in a minute.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Houdini posted:

It's really bad.

The stand-up bits are good, unfortunately they're identical to the DVD he released last week. The sketches are absolutely poo poo.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bloody hell, as poo poo as this is it looks 1000% better than the abortion that's on next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Has there ever been a good sketch show fronted by a woman? That's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely want to know.

Smack the Pony.