Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I think this new Partidge is really what suits the character best - with a full show they sometimes take it to bizarre conclusions, while the small budget and single location here keep it focussed on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The only comedians it is acceptable to like are Stewart Lee, and anyone that Stewart Lee says are good.

(If this is your opinion then you are a oval office, btw.)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Beeswax posted:

Yeah, Derren's greatest masterstroke is presenting himself and his tricks as some sort of nearly superhuman psychological tricks when they are in fact mostly about misdirection and obfuscation. I usually really like him but he seems to have made his mannerisms even more full on in Enigma, which gets annoying.
If you're a fan of his, read his Tricks of the Mind book, if you haven't already. It explains some of the tricks he does, in very loose terms.

He also explains in it that all of his tricks are a combination of traditional magic (ie misdirection, sleight of hand, mechanics, etc) and the auto-suggestion, cold reading, etc. he is famous for. The extra layer to the trick is that because he presents it all as being the same thing, the audience never knows what percentage is done in each way.

Reminds me I need to book tickets for this year's tour.

edit: ^^^^ This is how I thought that trick was done as well.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 8, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Again, from what I remember, Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind book goes in to how and why stage hypnotism "works".

Really do recommend that book.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

People like you are why they get away with this poo poo.
People who like to not just keep hearing the exact same joke over and over? I don't really see how that's related to financial regulation, but ok.

Kin posted:

So nah, lets not ease up on them yet because they loving deserve it.
Well off middle class comedians repeating "hey, what about those greedy bankers, eh?" on TV certainly will teach them the error of their ways, and hit them where it hurts.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 11, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Kin posted:

i don't think you quite understand (not only a point of the show) but the effect of having well off popular middle class comedians reminding everybody that no, the bankers are actually cunts.
No, you're right. I actually don't understand that. I know bankers are money-grabbing cunts out to get everything they can. Is comedians constantly plucking this low-hanging fruit enriching my life in some way, or teaching me some deeper truth?

Topical satire can be more than just making the same joke over and over again.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

"Four celebrities are spending a week living in a slum, to find out what it really means to spend a lifetime there."

Well, if you only live for a week, I guess.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

They missed a trick in that Lily Allen show by not having Pulp's Common People as the theme tune. It fits her to a loving t.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Oh come on, you know Red Dwarf's going to end up falling back on Dwayne Dibbly, Ace Rimmer, or the hilarious bits when someone tries to quote a law by number and Kryten revelas that the particular law they mentioned is to do with wearing an officer's trousers on your head.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

pisshead posted:

So people go to the shows and buy the DVDs to hear the same joke they've heard on three panel shows and six stand-up shows?
Usually the jokes / routines you're seeing on TV are from their previous show, or earlier. They're advertising their style of humour so that you'll think they are funny and want to go and see them the next time they tour near you, which will be a new show that you won't have already seen 90% of (unless you saw it when they did it at Edinburgh).

There's also the idea that an hour / 90 minute show will have a better through-line that makes everything in it funnier, even if you've heard some of the individual bits before. Though with straight up "gag" comedians like Jimmy Carr this isn't really the case.

Then you get people like goon favourite Stewart Lee who couldn't fit their style of presentation and humour into a panel show.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah I found Frankie Boyle's book incredibly hard to read. Very disjointed. I find that kind of gag machine comedian hard to watch do an hour's act as well.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I honestly cannot believe that we've reached the point where that is saturday evening on BBC One and not a Chris Morris sketch.
Because Saturday evening TV used to be really highbrow and not poo poo. Quality television like Noel's House Party.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Kin posted:

Noel's House Party, You Bet, The Generation Game and Big Break were much better than the pap we have now.
So you moan about almost everything on TV and hark back to the days of Noel's House party and Jim Davidson? Ok,

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I find the Collings & Herrin podcast a bit too samey. Collings is a loving idiot, almost everything he says and every opinion he holds is retarded, and Herrin just says whatever comes into his head about anal sex related to whatever they're talking about.

I preferred the 6 music show because it forced him to get outside that persona and do something different. AIOTM is really hit or miss as well, you can tell some weeks he just hasn't had the time to write anything.

Maybe it's my own fault for reading his blog - he produces so much output that unfortunately if you follow it all you hear him repeat himself over and over.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I didn't like Nathan Barley the first time around and gave up after a couple of episodes, but I've been watching it again on 4OD and it's a lot better than I remember. Also still very relevant, which is unsettling.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

justcola posted:

I thought their boss in a few episodes whose catchphrase was 'no slacking', was their dad? Who is also a twin and also does a comedy thing with his brother in blackpool.
Pretty sure you're getting confused with their two older brothers (not twins), who are also a comedy duo.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

ibroxmassive posted:

four chuckle brothers?
There are six siblings, I think. Five brothers (one isn't in showbusiness) and a sister. Their dad was in theatre / light entertainment as well.

I don't know why I know these things.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I want a programme of Jelly and Mrs Ladybird doing Louis Theroux style documentaries, they're an amazing double act.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Taear posted:

Does anyone know why they moved it?
Not sure, but Chortle reported that it was dying in the ratings this series.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I find Johnny Vegas like Boyle - I can take him in small half hour doses, but when he's the flavour of the month and on every show the lack of depth in the act really comes through.

To be honest I'm kind of the same way with Stewart Lee - deconstruction & repetition is funny, but I couldn't watch more than an hour of it at a time.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

6 Music have offered Collins & Josie Long the Saturday morning slot when Adam & Joe's run finishes again. As far as I know Collins has accepted, which does seem to suggest that Herring's running joke that Collins is just trading his way from comedian to comedian to better his own career is actually true.

I just don't understand how he keeps getting work. I've listened to his Radio 6 show, he's awful. I've listened to him on various comedy podcasts, he's not funny. I've read his stuff in Radio Times, he knows dick all about movies. His opinions on pretty much any subject are either ill thought out, reactionary, or just downright dumb. He also has a really smug punchable face.

Him & Josie Long is probably going to be a trainwreck if their performances on individual podcasts are anything to go by.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 26, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Oh also for whatever reason Collins declined to do the daily Edinburgh podcast with Herring, so he's doing that on his own.

I've mainly only heard Long on Utter Shambles, but her entire contributions were "tee hee I am ditzy and don't understand" and "rawr feminism, people shouldn't assume I'm ditzy because I'm a woman". I think maybe in ten years she might have the perspective to be a really good comedian though.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Ten pairs of Ugg boots and a hundred handbags? My vote's with the Chuckle guy.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Taear posted:

that doesn't somehow become "Yes wasting money on poo poo is fine".
I dare you to go in to this thread and say that.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Since someone mentioned it earlier - Collins' blog about his falling out with Herring

http://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/the-break-up/

Herring's reply

http://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/the-break-up/#comment-23249

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I thought Collins' original career was liking the 1980's?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Paperhouse posted:

Certainly he hasn't got close to the acclaim that Stewart Lee has so I've always thought of him as the shitter half that didn't go on to do much
Lee is the poster child for a certain type of alternative comedy whose vocal fans tend to think that liking him makes them a lot cleverer than fans of other comedians (in many ways he plays up to this as well with his "haven't got time to work a mixed ability room" stuff).

Herring does a pretty much completely different act to Lee, I couldn't see how them as a double act would work these days, but he is very good at what he does. I'd recommend picking up one of his recent show DVDs.

I like Lee, but I've seen a lot of other acts that get less acclaim than him that made me laugh an awful lot more.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I like him, and I found a lot of AiOtM self-indulgent poo poo that you can tell was scripted in an afternoon. I don't think it gives a decent indication of how good he is at all.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

During the show she did sort of look like she might actually be a puppet being controlled by half a dozen of Jim Henson's best men.

But she also had some of the best lines in the episode. She's way more entertaining than James Caan ever was.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Kin posted:

At least it's better than the US one. They're showing it on Dave and the cunts on that show rarely accept anything less than a controlling percentage of the individual's business. It's loving sickening.
After chatting to someone who has been on Dragon's Den, unsurprisingly the final deal you will be offered isn't representative of what you see on TV. Even aside from due-diligence etc. it turns out that what they're offering is actually equity-based loans.

i.e you give them some equity in exchange for a loan of however much money. You still have to pay the loan back, but they keep the equity.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I thought they lost the Friends rights a couple of years ago - how come they're still showing it?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Incidentally on his twitter feed he's saying the Sooty thing happened ages ago, that he just popped in to hospital to have it checked, and that the whole thing has been hugely blown out of proportion by the Sun.

Which doesn't sound like the sort of thing they'd do at all. Oh no.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

If you're in Edinburgh you need to see Alex Horne's Taskmaster 2. The first one was loving amazing last year.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Seinfeld as it truly is the pinnacle of PG US sitcoms, and set the foundations for most good comedy.
Can we not get in to this again please? I really don't care if it did or didn't influence all modern comedy, from Monty Python to My Family and the Two Ronnies.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Rarity posted:

Great. Because of this conversation I've now found a youtube channel with over 200 SMTV clips and am streamlining through them. There goes my weekend. Thanks a lot, guys.
Why not share the love?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Anybody remember a children's program on ITV about.. Ten years ago? It featured two wolfs who ate people and two police officers that put a beating on them with batons for no real reason most episodes.
Those wolves started out on one of the Saturday morning TV shows, thread continuity fans. (edit: in "What's Up Doc?', according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_Up_Doc%3F_(TV_series) )

What are Trevor & Simon up to these days? Still swinging their pants?

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 6, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I recognise 3 of those people (counting Jedward as one person).

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Fungah posted:

Basically as the series went on Simon became more and more insufferable and stupid. The episode where they skive off school
Is the first episode of S1?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

B...but Stewart Lee says that musical comedy is lazy and rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

cloudchamber posted:

He was referring to musical theatre like the Queen musical as being poo poo, not musical comedy.
I was specifically thinking of his bit about how if you sit tuning an instrument on stage audiences are a lot more accepting of really weak material.

My post was a joke anyway, nobody should be defining what they do or don't find funny based on what Stewart Lee does or doesn't find funny.

As for musical comedy - I like the Conchords. I don't like Mitch Benn.