Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I was fairly excited for This Is England 86 until they started showing actual bits from the show, at which point I realised it's probably going to be Shameless: 1986 and lost all interest in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

There are two words that almost instantly help me decide that I don't want to watch a given documentary; "Cutting Edge."

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The voice of that guy in '86 was hilarious. He was like Peter Serafinowicz in Spaced. "I'm not a monster, Shaun."

And Shaun should really know that you shouldn't run with a head wound. Silly boy.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't know the answer but just so you know it's not actually made by the BBC.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

No? I always assumed that since it was on BBC1 and then BBC3 that it was a BBC show.
Nah it's made by Kudos. They do a lot of shows for the BBC but they're independent. They also do Hustle and Law & Order: UK.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah this Derren Brown thing is just too much, it's not believable at all by this point. Once you learn that he fakes certain stuff for dramatic effect it completely taints everything he does like this and it becomes kind of obvious. Unless this is some sort of thing like the gambling thing where it turns out he's filmed 2000 people then I just can't believe it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone else feel like the end of this Derren Brown thing was like The Game? Much more tame, though, obviously.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Kudos is a subsidiary of the Shine Group whose group chairman and founder is Elizabeth Murdoch, daughter of Rupert Murdoch. No sir. :eng101:
Do you know everything there is to know about UK TV? Seriously you could go on Mastermind with that as your subject and you'd ace it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ruined by the fact that his name was Matt.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

Wicker man style ritual sacrifice to the god of the harvest under the allotments.
That would get me to watch Eastenders. Especially if someone took a cue from Nicholas Cage in the remake.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Huh. This morning, out of nowhere, I had the theme from Game On start up in my head (Where I Find My Heaven.) I haven't seen it since the first run and didn't particularly like the song, but there it was!

I remember kind of liking it, and I vaguely remember a bit with Samantha Janus (the aforementioned hot chick) breaking a sink by sitting on it while trying to pee. And the episode with the agoraphobic dude joining a band and crying through the set because he was outside of his flat, while people lapped it up. That was pretty funny.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ronnie posted:

acts all smug on small time radio station gets defensive when the host tries to bring him back down to reality.
If you choose to believe that the stance taken by most of the people opposing him in that program, especially that radio host, is reasonable and justified then you're an idiot.

If that town literally is the most unhealthy in America then they have no right to be so defensive about somebody trying to change things, especially since a lot of it is framed with "well this is UHMERIKA!" like whenever somebody would say "Oh right well I suppose the UK is perfect" and Jaime would say "Well, no, obesity is a big problem there, too."

The program was rubbish in it's presentation and all of that, though. It seems like it's made for US TV with American narration and all the trappings of the lovely US-versions of UK shows like Supernanny and Kitchen Nightmares, like the constant lovely music that's supposed to be dramatic (OH MY GOD SOMETHING SHOCKING/SICKENING IS HAPPENING) or emooootional (oh this is so sad! :ohdear:) and Jamie isn't anywhere near likable enough for this sort of thing.

But he genuinely did make a difference here so let's not get ahead of ourselves with the inevitable "Jaime Oliver's a oval office therefore everything he does is worthless" poo poo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

justcola posted:

This is england was better than last week. I still don't really get what direction the show wants to take, but it's entertaining. Still holding out that combo turns up and ruins everybodies poo poo.
He's in the ads they ran before it started, but we don't seem him ruining any poo poo.

My main problem with This Is England '86 is that the ad breaks totally ruin the pacing. Just before the first episode came on the continuity guy said it was going to run "straight through" without ads, so I was like "gently caress yes!" but then there was an ad break after 10 minutes and I realised he meant between Big Brother ending and This Is England '86 starting.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Carpet posted:

It also didn't repeat itself after advert breaks, which is more than you can say for some UK TV programs
gently caress, yeah, that's a terrible trend and I'm really annoyed that it's made it's way over here. It's so blatantly in there to pad out the running time. I'd rather have more ads than have the same loving sequence of something ever so slightly dramatic shown before and after it happens, at least twice.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

A5H posted:

I quite liked the latest Jamie Oliver show. But then again I quite like him. Who cares if you are self publicizing by doing something quite worthwhile and decent? :stare:
The average reader of this thread is far more cynical than you, unfortunately.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Padje posted:

Are we supposed to sympathise with her?
I don't think we are at this point. That scene where she absolutely has to talk to Woody right then and there and can't possibly wait half an hour can't be anything but deliberate.

Edit: That Seven Days ad does my head in. Who gives a gently caress about a week in Notting Hill? And what's all that "A New Reality" poo poo? So it's some new reality TV. Wow.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 16, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh my god they don't use a knife and fork up to the age of 10 in this school in the Jamie Oliver thing. The dinner lady wouldn't believe Jamie that kids use knives and forks in primary schools in the UK.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So are we supposed to think they actually did get high off one toke, or that they're just being morons and pretending the act high? I wasn't sure. Wait, no, that girls vomit was from ILLEGAL DRUGS so I guess were supposed to think that they were really high. Shame cannabis doesn't work that way I guess.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ahhh, I don't think I was paying enough attention. Thanks.

Paperhouse posted:

smoking weed could make you vom anyway I guess, especially if it's your first time and you'd been drinking too
Really? Bit of a stretch...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

less of a stretch than "please get me my mummy I can't control my arms anymore"

and I guess also it would be possible to get high off of only that much if it was strong and they'd not done it before. It wasn't that which brought it down for me at least, it was Will's silly experience.
I know what you mean, but since I've never eaten a big chunk of Mary Jane, or known anyone that has, it didn't bother me as much. They really should have shown some restraint and not had the crazy arm flailing stuff, though. Him babbling about being in a bubble is enough.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So they're going to watch 3 parts of a 4 part series?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

She should've stuck to her guns and left him, he's a colossal selfish prick. I don't understand why she came round in the end.

If that was a film she'd have realized she'd actually loved his best friend, who knew her better than the groom did, all along. Then they'd get married in a stately manor.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Von Linus posted:

The only people to come out of this with credit is the sister. The best man was doing alright until his phonecall in the airport, where he lost whatever points he had amassed by telling her it was not a nightmarish decision to marry the groom.
Telling her that the groom cried over the wedding dress debacle was a pretty lovely move.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Graviton v2 posted:

Not sure if you were joking or not but wasnt there some sort of anti-competition whine from Sky along the lines of 'its not fair if they (BBC) just have everything on demand'?

On a different topic who agrees with my prediction that in approx 5 years time all UK TV will be on demand over IP and roof ariels and sat dishes will be a thing of the past? We are nearly there now, all it takes is a bit more in the infrastructure and someone to release a simplifed PC/Mac purely to stream telly.
TVs themselves are having that sort of thing built in now.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

thehustler posted:

STV are perfectly entitled to opt-out of anything they drat well like on the London network feed with the exception of ITN, which ALL regions are bound by the rules to take.
Don't be a dick, most people don't care about the "rules" of whatever TV network, they just want to watch things that are advertised to them. You're way too obsessive about that poo poo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't find it cringeworthy because it was so contrived; it just felt entirely manufactured for comedy and not really true at all,

And I spend the entire running time of most episodes curled up in an awkward ball as they make tits out of themselves.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Huh. I didn't realize that Trinny and Suzannah thing was a scripted thing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

If you went back and paid attention I wonder how many times Will has given Simon the clearly better advice only for him to listen to Jay and/or Neil. I mean they all clearly know poo poo all about sex (except maybe Neil since he seems to get a lot of action) but Will gives the grown up advice and nobody ever listens. Poor Will.

The poo poo Simon believes, though! It was funny, but I know a lot of people here are like "yeah I knew someone who said poo poo like that in college" but that was literally the kind of crap one of my friends would say in primary school. By even high school I'd imagine most people have wised up enough to think "or your bum" would not be a prudent thing to say.

But then that's why it's funny, I guess. Neil's distress at pissing the bed was probably my favourite part. "I have a problem with that!"

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm seeing a lot of advertising for "Rude Tube". Is that seriously a prime time C4 program devoted to showing youtube clips? :psyduck:
Yeah it's had a few series now. I don't really watch or keep up with internet videos so I usually find it pretty funny.

Kid splitting his balls open was pretty funny last night.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Really enjoyed dispatches tonight, enjoyed was probably the wrong word but it was an eye opener.
That Bravo's Dangerous Mission thing or whatevs?

It was pretty interesting but when the good guys blew up some dude's family and went to say sorry and offer some money, one of the marines kept saying "It's the absolute least we can do" over and over again. He did not understand what that phrase means, and I hope the translator realised this. What a lovely thing to say to someone who just got their entire family exploded.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

LE0N posted:

That, in my opinion is the best thing about him though. His hilariously dodgy past, just allows him to go "well ive been there" and no-one bats an eye. I don't get the hate because we can all say "oh he is picking on scummy gutter-snipes" but when we all see them in the street we think exactly the same thing, he just says it. To their faces.
As others have said you should speak for yourself, but there's also the fact that he makes a living from human misery. Whether the guests go on of their own accord or not is immaterial.

Contrary to what supercool Internet cynics think, the pursuit and acquisition of money at the expense of others isn't commendable, and if you think it is you're a cock.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

pisshead posted:

What I don't get is at the start of the episode the narrator tells us his horror at going to a state school, but from what I see they're all very middle-class. It's not like it's on a council estate full of smack-heads, there's just that pantomime bully character who doesn't look that rough and never seems to actually batter anyone.
That's the... joke?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I guess nobody else watches this Jamie Oliver show but it's pretty eye opening. Education health authority folks made them go back to sugar filled chocolate/strawberry milk (rather than regular old milk) at an elementary school because the kids are more likely to drink it (and get some calcium.) No poo poo.

They might be the same folks that mandated that every meal have two portions of bread. For primary school kids.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I honestly don't remember ever hearing of it, but I did like Sherlock so I'll give it a go.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

There was a trailer for the new series of Misfits during Inbetweeners last night. Hooray! It's about time.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Figaro posted:

I have an almost irrational hatred of that small bald comedian in Mock the Week. I think it's his voice. No one I know seems to mind him, so it's proberly just me.
If it's Andy Parsons then it's completely rational.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ddraig posted:

The best guest on Buzzcocks, by far, was Bill Oddie. Throughout half the show Amstell literally had no loving idea what to do with him.
Oh god the credits had me in stitches. I really need to see that again.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

Frankie Boyle was great on Mock the Week because he pipped up with his offensive one-liners at the right time. As a stand-up, he's terrible.
Sean Lock is pretty much the same way. I know some people don't like him but I think he's consistently hilarious on every panel show he's on, but his stand up is just... wooden, and he doesn't seem very comfortable with it, and it's kind of boring.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

really? Sean Lock's standup is one of the only standups I actually like, I think he's excellent.
Different strokes, I guess!

And Phil Jupitus justifies his girth with the anecdote about Dale Winton liking fatties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

Could not agree more, youve hit the nail on the head. There is no excuse for crossing a picket line. End Of.

I watched that series about his teenage years and so now have much more resoect for the man in sticking by his principles.
Have you ever been in that situation? I have, I wasn't in the union, and I had to eat and pay the bills. But nah it's clear cut who the gently caress needs to make a living eh? End Of.

Edit: And I'd do it again now that I have a family to feed. You cock.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 6, 2010