Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Daedo posted:

Uhhh.... what's the story behind this?

Random shots of the crowd, a crowd which included Wayne Rooney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flatscan posted:

That was because RTD was under a lot of pressure with Children of Earth, as the BBC really didn't want to make a third series. Rather than sitting back and basking in the adulation, he actually had to put his nose to the grindstone. Looks like the US network has given him free-rein and he's gone back to making poo poo.

This isn't quite right.

RTD had very little to do with the early years of Torchwood, and his scripts for CoE were last minute rush jobs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

At least he said "Robb Stark", unlike Zorba who just said "That guy who plays Robb" which was completely unintelligible even though I've seen a couple of episodes of A Game of Thrones.

Then again he not only doesn't like Babylon 5 but also acts with astonishment when people say they like it so who knows what's going on

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kin posted:

They do :ssh:

Woah!!!

Zorba the Greek posted:

Well oh well. I know the actors name now so I'll use that. Chill.

Mainly that comment was because I missed the whole B5/Farscape discussion and so didn't get the chance to laugh at you dismissing the best heavily serialised television programme* as a pile of poo poo or whatever that Spaced quote is.

*The Wire is fantastic but I would never have been able to watch it an episode a week as I would not have any clue of what was going on.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flatscan posted:

Grow up.

Yeah calling people McTits is what mature people alright

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flatscan posted:

You're quite right, it isn't, but they don't throw massive hissy-fits about people doing it either.

Truly mature individuals just shake their head at misogyny, safe in the knowledge that as a white male it doesn't matter to us anyway

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

is his standup even any good? He's always bandied about along with Stewart Lee because they used to be a double act but I've always assumed that he was nowhere near as good as Lee these days. Certainly he hasn't got close to the acclaim that Stewart Lee has so I've always thought of him as the shitter half that didn't go on to do much

Lee is a lot more artful, he's the kind of comic that the Guardian goes mad for ala their love for The Wire.

Herring can be and is very funny, but he's a bit... odd. In the head. He also looks exactly like my housemate's younger brother, who looks like someone stuck a rubbish mustache on a fat 12 year old.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Friends may not be amazing writing, but is insanely efficient. Want to write a sarcastic line? Bring in Chandler from offscreen! Someone being an idiot? Bring in Joey or Rachel!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

I never noticed just how remarkably tall she was

5'9? :raise:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Hmm, I had always assumed Dec was taller, then.

Dec's 5'6, he's a midget

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Interesting. Ant must only be about 5'8 then.

Dead on with that guess.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A5H posted:

Did you read it backwards like a retard?

It?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Freeview has the channel being used by something else the rest of the time, or so the internet leads me to believe.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've just been watching The Code with Marcus du Sautoy. I'm not a mathmatician, but he's completely full of poo poo. Cicadas have prime-number lifecycles, imaginary numbers make radar works. Maths is built into nature because music, this thing we made, has nice ratios!

It's almost like watching TimeCube.

Clearly.

Lots of creatures have prime number life cycles because if there are predators that have similar life cycles then prime numbers will give you the best chance of surviving for a long time (because the smallest common multiple of a number and a prime that is not a factor of that number is the two multiplied together) whereas something like 12 year life cycles will meet up with the predators frequently if the predators have 2, 3, 4 or 6 year life cycles.

Imaginary numbers are used in loving everything in physics and are vital to our understanding of quantum mechanics, electromagnetism and electronics, optics, relativity, condensed matter physics and anything else that ever involves waves (which, due to quantum field theory and classical field theory, is when you get down to it literally all of reality).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hoops posted:

John Bercow is one of the scummiest, fascist, tax-dodging criminal politicians in the country as well, I hope she got booed.

He really isn't, unless you think "claiming a lot of expenses for a few years" is the absolute worst thing a politician can do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Noonsaliwah posted:

And I don't even know what Kerry Katona is famous for

Atomic Kitten, and then having a breakdown which the red tops lapped up and splashed everywhere.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hoops posted:

I mean, I studied maths and music at uni, and I reckon I would get less than 2/3rds of the maths questions on my best day

Really? Given that I remember the maths questions being of the order of "What it's 2 cubed multiplied by 2 squared" then I question your department.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hoops posted:

Was it? I turned it on after it started, think the score was like 45-65 but the mathsy bonus questions I saw were about theorems and conjecture, and one was about diophantine polynomials. I definitely didn't see anything with straight-up arithmetic.

This is from a while back, I don't have a TV any more.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LE0N posted:

WILL YOU LOVE ME EVEN THOUGH MY FACE TATOO IS OF A SKULL

I read that as "My face tattoo is of a snail" and that was much more interesting

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I like the Boosh (well, some of it) but I don't particularly like him.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The first series was great, when it was a bit more controlled. It went completely off the rails after that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nathan Barley is hilarious

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I used to have a real love/hate relationship with Countdown. I like the games, but I absolutely hated Whiteley and Vorderman. Are the current hosts (massively) less twattish ?

Who cares about the hosts, GIVE ME NUMBER ROUNDS

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sion posted:

Okay, I'll be over here with my 3 Dr Who spin offs, line of toys, books, CD's, videogames, advent calenders, trading card games, stationery and magazines minding my own business then shall I?

Are you counting K9 and Company?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flatscan posted:

Why are we having this loving retarded argument?

Do you want the actual answer or the one that will make you feel happy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

I got horribly turned off by Stewart Lee when I saw that ridiculous bit where he talks about Del Boy falling through the bar. Anything can be unfunny and banal if you talk about it in a stupid voice and only use words from Dick & Jane.

It's a funny bit in the episode but it's just a piece of, well done, simple slapstick. It's just a man falling over.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kin posted:

They just need to get the elves from QI in the production office. Every time they say something bollocks the klaxon goes off with the bullshit printed on screens behind them and then Stephen Fry walks into shot and corrects them on their inaccuracy.

The crowd would love it, the views would love it and truth would prevail.

The only downside is that politicians wouldn't appear on the show anymore because they couldn't spout their lies and get away with it.

QI's brand of "well it's technically true from a certain point of view" is exactly how politicians operate already

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carpet posted:

I need to get a longer cable to try this.

Ban all Christmas advertising until 1st December.

Advent can start as early as the 27th

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Makes you wonder where all the rich people who were good with money and had the will to do good and charity for the country went :(

It makes me wonder where all the unicorns went

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

meme posted:

Edit 2: Can anyone explain why they decided to write the Red Dwarf out of the show? Starbug sucked and I dont get why they decided to not use such a great set? was it a budgetary issue?

It's much easier to write things where the crew have to get into scrapes than finding a new motivation for them to meet the monster of the week.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

dos4gw posted:

Not everyone in the country thinks that these public sector workers should have gone on strike and it infuriates me to think that so many people striking honestly think that they're seen as being 'in the right' by the public at large.

The majority of people support the strikes, sooooo

Also the quote you have there is bollocks. The numbers are either wrong or taken so far out of context to be deliberately misleading.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bring back Langham :mad:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

My cousin won Masterchef back in the 90's

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Noreaus posted:

Rule 1.6 in section 2 of the broadcasting code states:

Did Big Brother start prior to 2100?

No

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The problem with the Charlie Brooker's programme was that the only times that there was any actual regular analysis of anything was Barry Shitpeas's bits, plus that Curtis short. Newswipe was a lot better than this, because that would actually try to engage with the issues rather than just throwing the easiest narrative at the events (eg. rioters and looting).

And somehow I accidentally highlighted a section of that and erased it, leaving me with just the enigmatic message "Newswipe wooting".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just saw a minute long advert for the Beeb's natural history side which was visually a greatest hits compilation of all their footage (good) and was audually David Attenborough doing a spoken word version of "It's a Wonderful World", William Shatner style (terrible).

That was great though :confused:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

goatface posted:

Some of the rhymes in the original only work if you pronounce it that way.

It's a prose book (and x was nothing like a ck sound in then current spanish)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fire_Monkey posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0pvFulUd98

As quiz show intros go, this is one of the best.

Music by Hans Zimmer, who did the scores for things like The Dark Knight

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Noreaus posted:

There's a back to some of the cards, with the very low scoring answers on them. That one looks like it's full on that side, so probably has some on the other. You probably just earned yourself a Pointless Trophy :smug:

Edit: Oh, no, that's a Round 1 card. So maybe not. What film?

He was in that Around the World in 80 Days with Coogan and Jackie Chan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWc7iMP3C2o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Metrication posted:

Why would you voluntarily move to the north?

Why would you voluntarily stay in the south?