Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

nationalista posted:

The whole notion of 'selling out' is pathetic and childish anyway.

Not really, the term's used far too often in cases where it doesn't come close to applying, that's all. Like by Boyle here. I never liked the guy, but this whole episode makes him look like an utter oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The 'putting on a Welsh accent' thing was a bit weird, mind....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

My favourite thing about Derren Brown is how he'd introduce a trick, like mediumship for example, by explaining all about cold reading and exactly how these frauds do it, and then go on to do the best, head-scratching reading I've seen, that puts all those Living TV creeps to shame. The ghost special was similar (can't remember its name) where he began by telling everyone there that ghosts definitely do not exist and that everything that's about to happen to them is a trick, but still manages to scare the poo poo out of the participants anyway. It's why The Events pissed me off so much, especially the lottery one which basically went completely against what he did in The System. I kept waiting for some massive twist at the end of them all, but it never came.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Padje posted:

On saturday afternoon I heard the words 'easy meat' leave the mouth of a Sky News presenter in reference to rape victims.

I think they were Jack Straw's actual words, to be fair. The BBC also used the term, anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Did anyone catch The Great Outdoors? Never heard of it, but caught a minute towards the end and it looked like it might possibly be not terrible. Any opinions? Stars Brian off of Spaced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t6z51/The_Great_Outdoors_Episode_1/

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dicky B posted:

This is really excellent, thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Well written, good cast, nice new little comedy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

+1 channels were handy for a small window of time before telly on demand took off.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Graviton v2 posted:

Why the gently caress is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade randomly on BBC1 tonight 8.00-10.00.

Im not complaining but when was the last time they turned over the whole prime time slot to a movie?

No idea, but this made me remember how they always used to show good films at 8pm on a Wednesday when I was a kid. Including Indy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

N3RDSTER posted:

Also, to (predictably) go against the grain I actually quite like Lauren Laverne , but then again I am quite a smug douchebag.

How the hell can someone not like Lauren Laverne?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I always found Lauren Laverne quite funny. Kenickie interviews always made me laugh.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Has David Mitchell dyed his hair?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Get rid of the 'skits', have more of them riffing off each other around the table.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How many episode in this run?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's been mentioned, but 10 O'Clock Live really doesn't need to be live.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This is England 88 Xmas special this year, paving the way for a This is England 90 series. Cool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12286245

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Just watched 10 O'Clock Live. More actual satire than last week is good, and then you have that thoroughly appalling Campbell interview, which was like watching the curb-stomping scene from American History X on a loop. I don't get why anyone involved thinks that anyone on that show can hang with the likes of Campbell or Willetts in a straight interview.

Exactly how I feel. A big improvement on last week (as we all suspected would happen), but Jesus Christ, who thought it would be a good idea for David Mitchell to interview Alistair loving Campbell for his second ever (?) interview? I know it's been said in this thread already, but loving hell.....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rarity posted:

Nope, the rule is that you can't enter a song that has been previously released for sale, ie. new material is fine.

So how come Lordi's song was available on an album a few months beforehand?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's obvious now that How TV Ruined Your Life is a Screenwipe remix for the 'terrestrial' channels. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't hate Carr on 10 o clock live, but he really needs to stop doing that looking around at the audience thing after every joke in the headlines.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

LE0N posted:

I really just want some company to bring back "Bullseye" in all its rubbish glory, i want to see more darts on tv, more people from Walsall winning speedboats, more Tony green. I got reminded about this glorious show whilst listening to my favourite hip-hop track :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxP4XYEiFc

Challenge made new episodes a few years ago. Hosted by Dave Spikey, but Tony Green was still there.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That's quite the difference in timeslot compared to last series.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

Red Dwarf was never really that great anyway, I loved it as a kid but re watched it recently and a lot of it was quite cringe inducing.

It should be put away, or failing that just reboot with a new cast and writing staff.

Yup. For a nerdy teenager in the 90's, it was great, but I've caught a few episodes on Dave recently, and if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor, I would consider most of it pretty loving dire. The new episodes could be as good as the very best of the old series, and they would still be pretty embarrassing by today's standards.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jawidar posted:

In an excuse to use a load of fish-based puns, I once wrote in talking about Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast. Mr Biffo said he knew "eggs-actly what I meant" :3:. On another occasion he called me "daddy cynical" :v:.

Digi :(

I wrote in saying how Bits was missing an 'N' from the title and instead of printing it, he just used the joke in a review a few days later.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pellam posted:

I would love to see him and Lee do more stuff but I guess their styles are so different now it would be hard to mesh them into one show.

You say that, but I think every time I've seen either of them, there's always at least one section where they talk to themselves using the other's Lee and Herring persona.

Fist of Fun is coming out on DVD!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How do you want me? is a better Dylan Moran vehicle than Black Books IMHO.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

justcola posted:

I unironically like them and will be upset when one dies as the other will follow soon after.

Type 'is bar' into google, and look at the suggestions that appear.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is the Queen doc any good?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, this is loving appalling.

EDIT: Jesus, it just gets worse. They better be arrested as a result of this.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 31, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Of all the terrible, terrible comedians, Andy Parsons is the only one who makes me go "How the gently caress are you getting paid to be on telly? Seriously?".

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I seem to remember it being Rory Mcgrath, but it was probably someone speculating. Definitely fits the bill more than anyone though in my opinion.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

the CGI is horrible,

I remember people writing in to Digitiser saying that because Amigas were used to make the Babylon 5 CGI, the system wasn't dead.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Kin posted:

Remember, do NOT watch The Killing.

I just went downstairs and found my housemate watching it. Filled her in. To think I actually thought that pile of wank was good at first.....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I've said it before but pretty much every time I've seen Stewart Lee or Richard Herring they've both done a section where they're essentially having a conversation with themselves using the other's persona. They're both really great (but different) stand-ups now, and I think if they did some kind of reunion (the TMWRNJ one doesn't count), it could be fantastic.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Also, there's something about Evan Davies' pointless interjections to tell us about something we've already seen or ask us about something which has yet to happen (i.e. "The mood in the Den has soured considerably with the revelation that Boris McFuckwit has no idea how much money his company has lost or even what he makes or sells or where he is or how he got there. Will Scary Grandma counter Easily Offended Scotsman's offer of FIVE POUNDS for an 80% stake of Willy's Willy Warmers Inc...?") which just pisses me off so much. I know what just happened, I saw it, it was on the telly just this very second! And I expect we'd find out what's going to happen if you'd just shut the gently caress up already!

He's STILL using that loving 'about to show his hand' phrase too. He said it at least twice in this week's episode.

metrication posted:

Friends was loving terrible. S******* on the other hand, if they showed that back to back I would definitely watch that.

Christ, don't use that word in here!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

boner meter posted:

Another even more important one was the best children's game show ever made; The premise was that the contestants were inside some kind of futuristic tower block, with different challenges on each floor. If they failed they ended up in the laundry room in these horrid cages and the team had to go and rescue them. One of the final challenges involved playing checkers against these guys in black robes. Also to move between challenges there was a lift that had a computer inside that was basically a kid friendly version of Holly from red dwarf, but was a man in a red mask (I think).

Incredible Games? Think it was past my time, but it seems to come up in his thread all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUpwSSU15o

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone seen the Inbetweeners movie yet?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Only read the Empire review, but seems very positive. They actually mention that's it's no Kevin and Perry go Large.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Any cuts to BBC4 when BBC3 still exists are criminal

I saw some 'Save BBC4' thing on Facebook today and I was going to join, but then I thought about it for two seconds and, honestly, taking the best bits of BBC4 and melding them with the best bits of BBC3 (yes, they actually have some good stuff, like Him and Her and, erm, Being Human, maybe?) to make a proper third BBC channel is probably the best thing they could do.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The last few series of Buzzcocks with Lamarr were really bad. It was a good thing he left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

sebzilla posted:

So, apparently The Fast Show is coming back.

As one of those online Fosters things, apparently. I loving loved The Fast Show when I was 14, but I can't imagine watching it now.