Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Now where am I going to be able to see random episodes of Star Trek, AND Fresh Prince? :(

MURDOCH :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Also just a reminder that Apollo I ended with the entire team literally "getting fired" ho ho ho

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

LE0N posted:

My Tv license is paying for shows like "Is oral sex safe?" on BBC3 hosted by some yoof actress, ironically im in it's target demographic and i cant understand why this is getting commissioned?

Does having sex in the title, or whole premise bring in that many more viewers?

It allows the BBC to say it is educating young people, and ensures viewers because teenagers will watch anything sex related.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

I know it isn't TV but I can't be the only one disappointed in The Archers this evening. We were promised something that would "shake Ambridge to the core" and instead we got someone falling off a roof and a baby being born.

Why did it have to be Nigel? :(

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

I mean if this had been a regular death it wouldn't have been so bad. But they had been ramping it up PR-wise as such a huge deal.

They made the episode twice as long but totally blew it. Helen's baby scare happened so early on you never really expected anything to happen. They had any other potential trouble, such as Harry and Jazzer get written out with a throwaway line, and spent the entire time foreshadowing very heavily them going up to the roof.

Wow, two people go up to the roof, one of them has been drinking, in the dark, with the wind blowing and one of them falls off, wow what a loving turn of events I never saw it coming.

Plus gently caress them Nigel was my favourite character and Helen survives to be a terrible human being another day. Boo-urns.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Personally I think Pointless is a bit poo poo, I can't really put my finger on why though. I think the questions are poo poo, and there just seems to be something off about making a show about exploiting the ignorance of the common person, although I suppose all quiz shows are like that to some extent.

Also I'd love to have a Life On Ambridge, with Nigel going back in time, that would have been amazing. I've only been listening to The Archers for about 15 months now, and in that time Nigel hasn't really had to do anything so I never noticed him. However in the past couple of months when he popped up he won me over with his dopey toff charms and become my favourite character by far, such a shame they got rid of him:(

With the whole 60th Anniversary thing I tried to read the official message boards and the twitter feeds they keep going on about. The message boards seem to be full of people who hate the show, and every character, and cannot stop posting about how much they hate everything about it all week long. I thought Radio 4 was supposed to be for "intelligent people" (I know I am talking about a soap opera here), why do these people think making up witty nicknames like Pipsqueak for Pip is the height of comedy? And on twitter you just have dozens of people making twitter posts, pretending to be characters in the show, whilst the episode is airing. Is this middle class larping?

Also tonight I watched the BBC4 documentary on the life of Bob Monkhouse, and then the one about the history of Light Entertainment. I had no idea Bob Monkhouse was so prolific back in the day, I only ever remember him as the host of Wipeout, I had no idea he was a "proper" comedian and all that. I had never even heard of The Golden Shot, which seemed to be such a massive show in the 70s or 80s.

It was interesting to see how light entertainment evolved, and I had one moment where they introduce Brian Conley and I had absolutely no idea who he was until it dawned on me that he was the person my six year old self thought was the funniest man alive. The program also highlighted the career of Michael Barrymore, and I remember watching a couple of episodes of Strike It Lucky on Challenge a while back. The format was poo poo, and whilst the Celebrity Come Dine With Me revealed that Barrymore is an enormous twat in real life, I think he was probably the greatest gameshow host I think I've ever seen. The format for Strike it Rich/Lucky was always poo poo, but put Barrymore in front of an audience and allow him to interact with regular people and he was absolutely amazing.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

What the gently caress is a mandrawer?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Timecop is on the iPlayer, for the few of you that have good taste to truly appreciate.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

I know everyone has already said this before, but good grief 10 O'Clock Live is loving terrible.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Was it... was it the part where they called the Daily Mail poo poo ? Was it that which upset you ?

It was the part where it was a good idea that was horribly implemented, which is what everyone else is saying as well!

However one thing I am going to mention that no-one else did, the jazzy band music that is the theme/music they play between segments, sounds just like the kind of crap Americans have on their late night talk shows.

In fact the whole thing kind of felt like those annoying bits at the start of those shows where they have a monologue, except this was a whole show full of it. Even Americans don't like those.

Get rid of the studio audience, tape it, and get rid of the stupid lovely segments and you'll be on to a winner. I think people would have enjoyed the interviews and debates a bit more, if they were able to last longer than two minutes before we got another "hilarious" bit to camera.

To me the problem with the studio audience is that you have the four of them talking to the camera, and making jokes, except instead of talking directly to you, they seem to often be looking over their shoulder to see how the audience is reacting to it. It just makes it feel "off". I wonder why they put the audience behind them, perhaps something to show off that it is live.

I don't see why it being live is such a big deal, it isn't like this is new technology, and nothing is gained from it except Charlie Brooker might piss himself again.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Also a couple of other things whilst I'm at it. Every time someone said something, they woop and jeered like on the Daily Show, I understand in America everyone thinks it is amazingly ballsy to say anything remotely bad about the government but over here it is expected.

Plus when it would cut to the audience it felt very full of students, and other people in their twenties. Now I don't mind that myself being a twenty-something student but it does make the show feel very insular and appealing only to a minority of people.

I can understand why they might want a show like that, but to have it so heavily advertised, and to put it head to head with current affairs big-hitters on other channels it just seemed to me that Channel 4 wanted something a bit different. Perhaps I'm wrong, but one of the main problems with 10 O'Clock live is that I don't know what it is supposed to be doing. As people have mentioned earlier, I was under the impression it was going to be similar to The Day Today etc. now I've seen it I know it wasn't, but I don't know what it was actually trying to do at all.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

I mean I don't think there is an unwritten rule about not sending our top bands or singers in to the Eurovision, it is more that if you are a successful British musician why would you enter something that is regarded as incredibly naff and a massive joke?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Speaking of Sebastien Tellier it reminds me that one of the nice things about the Eurovision is you get to hear some of the best music that other countries have to offer.

Sure it is surrounded by Serbs wearing plastic and dancing in perspex cages, but you don't often get to see acts like Tellier or those Estonian violin players or whatever on British TV.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

They want a good song and they want to see we're trying and taking it seriously, nothing more.
Scooch or that x-factor bin man fit your criteria and they bombed horribly because the Europeans rightly realised that we were not taking it seriously and were just mocking them. In fact the overriding respone to the x-factor guy was "He was a bin man? Are you loving serious? Why are you sending us this? The UK has many great bands, why do you always send us this poo poo?"

We will never win if we send what we think they want because we always get it wrong. Besides, what DO they want? There is more variety in Eurovision songs than we perhaps think. Should we send a ballad? How about a dancy number? Or maybe an "indie" song like Germany did last year? Or maybe opera? or some sort of easy European tribal music ?

We will only ever win if we send something that is genuinely, sincerely on par with what we are capable of producing.

It WAS Andrew Lloyd Webber. He was sat on stage during the performance "playing the Piano"!

It is a shame that it is this way but it's only us who consider it as a massive joke. Naff it may be but Europe in general takes it seriously, if with tongue-in-cheek.
Other countries enter popular bands from their countries, but we never have until now which I suppose I should be applauding, but it's sticking in my throat because we've not had a say in who or what is going, we've just been told and it feels unfair, like a cynical attempt by a band who wants to ride on the Return Of Take That coattails and this is their fast track to achieve it.

I agree entirely, I think a lot of the blame for this lands squarely on the shoulders of Terry Wogan. Don't get me wrong, I love Wogan and his commentary was always the highlight of the whole thing, but in the UK he was the face of Eurovision, and that face was one constantly making jokes about how poo poo it was. It should come as no surprise that after years of that, everyone in the UK thinks the Eurovision is poo poo and a massive joke.

Then everyone complains about how we don't win and it must be because those cheating continentals all vote for each other.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

HoldYourFire posted:

Oh Jesus you are literally wrong about everything, aren't you? That song was loving dogshit, it made me want to perforate my eardrums.

Edit: Well at least she got naked on TV.

That song was so terrible that even now it sends my sister in to a rage should I say the word "Eurovision" around her.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Royality posted:

Anyone who thinks Kevin from Eggheads wouldn't destroy all of the Chasers is so wrong. Some of the other Eggheads (I'm looking at you Judith and CJ) aren't great, but Kevin is the loving daddy. Man knows so much about the world he can pretty much deduce any answer he doesn't know (which is rare because he knows EVERYTHING).

I'm pretty gay for Kevin.

He is my favourite by far. I think the best thing about him is, that unlike the other Eggheads, he doesn't sit there and patronisingly explain how he eliminated all the other options, he simply gives the answer he thinks is right. Which is a breath of fresh air compared to the other wankers on that show.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

7seven7 posted:

Well I've just had an absolutely lovely day courtesy of the BBC and The Applause Store. I was offered priority tickets to go see QI being filmed if I went along to see Alexander Armstrong's Pointless. After sitting through two of the dullest hours of my life the audience was offered the chance to have a stretch and maybe take a dump. Eager to get away from all the forced laughter and awkwardness I went to go take a leak while I had the chance. While I was queuing I noticed people leaving. I thought I'd get in on this, but having heard bad things about The Applause Store, I thought I'd best ask somebody if it was OK to leave. There was an older and very bored looking lady who was guarding the exit. I asked her if it was OK and whether I'd lose my QI tickets if I did leave. "No, that's fine, we can't keep you here forcefully." she told me. "Result." I thought to myself, and quickly hightailed it out of there. 
 I jumped on the next train and decided to ring The Applause Store to claim my tickets. The first question they asked was "Did you leave early?" so I told them I had and was promptly informed that I forfeited my tickets because of this. "We got what we needed, gently caress you lol bye!" was pretty much the response I got. 
 Fuckers. 

I think Pointless is a load of poo poo anyway but why do they actually need an audience there? It isn't very exciting or dramatic, do they really need an audience in there so we can hear an "ohhhh" when that stupid answers barometer gets close to zero?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

Here's our Eurovision song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8wxu9mz_A

It feels like a genuine song rather than an attempt to do something we think the rest of Europe might like.
I don't think it's a winner, but maybe mid table...

It won't win us the league but it could definitely get us a place in Europe.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

I've been going through my Inspector Morse DVDs recently, that show is still really great. The early Morse was basically just an alcoholic prick who drank and drove, and the later Morse was a lovable old curmudgeon.

I have no idea how they are going to make a prequel and not make it poo poo, http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/may/06/inspector-morse-prequel-for-itv?intcmp=239

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

reality_groove posted:

There's also a running joke about Boggins, a dog that sounds like Adam doing a dog impression which divided and polarised the fanbase into whether the fictional dog should live or die.

It's best not spoken about because it brings up a lot of raw memories.

In my mind what makes Adam and Joe stand out is that they're not really professional comedians or DJs yet they just managed to somehow make a career out of being daft.

I'll never understand the sheer hatred people had for Boggins, I assume its some sort of massive joke, at least I hope it is :/

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

I seem to remember it being Rory Mcgrath, but it was probably someone speculating. Definitely fits the bill more than anyone though in my opinion.

I know he did that on They Think Its All Over, they even made jokes about it during the show.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

God I'm sick of the Marks and Sparks Xmas ads already. Who the gently caress are these people?

A friend of mine put it on Facebook yesterday, I cannot understand how anyone thought it was a good idea.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Kevin is the only good Egghead. By the way the Eggheads board game is total poo poo :(

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Mickolution posted:

How does it work?

I've not got it with me at university and we only played it once so my recollection is hazy so if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

The players are all one team, like on the tv show and each of you takes it in turn to answer questions on a specific category and you pick the egghead you want to face. You answer the question and you turn it over to see if got it right, and if the egghead did. If you beat the egghead in your head to head then you are in the final, if not take a seat chump. After doing that for each egghead you get to the final where the number of questions you have to answer correctly in a row to win is based on the number of Eggheads left, if you do that then your (the human) team wins. The end.

Looking on the internet it seems they've introduced a new version that looks less poo poo but I don't have that, as I only get my TV show board games from charity shops. So far my collection is small but growing.

Others to avoid: Who wants to be a Millionaire? (No tension/interest in playing that at all, you might as well be reading out random quiz questions off the internet)and QI (the rules are a bit complicated, especially if you try and use the buzzer, and because of the multiple choice nature of it you can normally spot the dodgy answers that lose you points quite easily)

I've got my fingers crossed that the Noel's House Party game I picked up in Age Concern for £3 is half decent but I've yet to convince anyone to give it a go!

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Mickolution posted:

How does the egghead answer?

Think I picked up Who Wants To Be A Millionaire years ago for cheap. IIRC, just played it a couple of times.

On the back of your card it just has a tick or a cross telling you if the Egghead got it right or not.

Also another annoying thing for some people is you have to be super careful about how you put the cards back, because once you mix up the Egghead cards it can be a total fucker to sort them all back in to the proper boxes.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Jesus, that sounds terrible. I assume they get most of theirs right?

Yep, the vast majority. I mean, I know its a game about Eggheads and you can't really have the Eggheads come round to everyone's house to play any time someone opens the box, but there has to be a way to get the players more interested in a game than simply "yes/no" on the back of a card.

By far the best quiz show board game is Blockbusters, since you are split in to two teams and there's a bit of strategy involved too. Plus if you get the 80s version you get to answer some wonderfully outdated questions, my personal favourite is "What G is divided in to two and produces sauerkraut?" Germany

And whilst its not strictly TV chat, I do love the old Trivial Pursuit questions where you are asked "What presenter brought some colour to Tiswas?" Lenny Henry oh the 80s, how innocent a time you were...

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

With the 80s Trivial Pursuit I'm quite good on everything that isn't Entertainment, I just leave that wedge until last and hope something/one who is still famous crops up like David Bowie.

I found the 80s/90s TV edition and I had no idea why I expected to have fun playing that. If anyone else finds themselves playing it, my protip is to always guess Russ Abbott.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

spincube posted:

I like Bruce Forsyth; give the man a stage, an audience, a mic, and a camera, and he could keep the show together by himself. The man's an entertainer through and through.

...jesus, he's eighty-four. I can't think of anyone who could fill a Brucie-sized hole in the Radio Times :ohdear:

Michael Barrymore, pre-swimming pool and breakdown, was another such host who was able to command an audience back in the day.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

You can't have a discussion about video games on TV and overlook the glory that was Gamezville.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

I know no-one has talked about the new version of Blockbusters on Challenge, but my girlfriend and I will be making an appearance as contestants during the second half of tonight's episode, which starts on Challenge in about 10 minutes.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Just another quick post to say that my girlfriend and I will be on our last episode of Blockbusters tonight. We won on Thursday, Friday, and last night's episodes so tonight is our final chance for glory. So if you fancy seeing a goon compete in something a bit less glamorous than the Olympics we're on Challenge tonight at 8.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Johnny Deformed posted:

How did you do?

We were very fortunate and we won all of our games 2-0. We failed the first two gold runs though, but those prizes tended to be small so it wasn't too heartbreaking. We were successful in the last three gold runs though and managed to bag a weekend in a spa, a week at a Cornwall resort, and the fifth and final prize was a week all inclusive at a 5 star hotel in Mexico.

We were just glad we got on and then we were happy we didn't embarrass ourselves. We'd hoped we'd get enough money for a holiday, but to do so well was beyond our wildest dreams. Its very strange to watch yourself on TV.

I know its a cliché but absolutely all the runners and behind the scenes people on the show were beautiful young women. Everyone was incredibly nice and Simon Mayo is a very nice guy.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Does anybody know the name of a really low budget game show which pretty much revolved around people playing PC games? I'm not talking about a review type format like Gamesmaster, it was two teams playing PC games against each other. The games I remember them playing were a really dismal looking tank shooter and then I'm guessing a Counter Strike mod?

I'd be interested in reading that Crystal Maze contestant account if anybody has a link.

I'm on my phone so I can't go in to more detail but I'm pretty sure you are think of Mercenaries, hosted by the bald one from the Gadget show. He was also on The Web Review which was late on ITV back in the day, if anyone remembers that. I think they reviewed SA and said it was poo poo.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

goatface posted:

The saddest interview I've seen was the guy who wouldn't stop apologising to his coaches for wasting their time and to his wife and kids for not spending more time with them :(

Jesus, I never saw that interview but just reading that is making me sad as hell :(

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

I watched The Bill up until the day it finished and still watch Casualty.

Why?

Because I love pulpy emergency service-based shite.

The Bill finished?! Christ I'm out of touch!

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

HoldYourFire posted:

Last series of University Challenge, I distinctly remember posting in this very thread about a question on "Who wrote The Dispossessed? -Ursula le Guin". This year, we get a question "The world of Anarres is a feature of which sci-fi novel by Ursula le Guin?" Honestly, it's like they're not even trying anymore :colbert:

To be fair though The Dispossessed is one of the best novels ever written! I think the question from last year was a quote from the book, I've not seen this year.

I must say, I think University Challenge has gotten easier over the years, either that or I just know more than I did when I was 12...

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Well I guess I just know more than I did when I was a teenager.

All I know is that when I was on the new Blockbusters the questions were much easier than they were in the 80s-90s, and Bob was asking them to Sixth Formers rather than the easier questions to proper grown-ups.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

reality_groove posted:

There was another Channel 4 adventure show called Lost where they dropped some teams of contestants and a camera crew in a foreign country and they had to race back to Trafalgar Square. It was put on in some dismal late night slot and never picked up an audience.

I really enjoyed that show and I do wish it had continued. Instead you got bizarre things like The Amazing Race, which was truly terrible. I'm indebted to Lost for telling me where Azerbaijan is and that Baku is its capital :v

One of the moments from it that sticks in my mind is when there was this rich chap on it, paired up with a woman he fancied. They were dropped somewhere in Canada and had to make it to LA. Instead of heading straight there he makes a beeline for New York because his wealthy dad lives there and tried to get the cash to fly to LA. The dad refuses but gives him enough for a rail ticket, and the guy spends the rest of the journey alternating between hitting on, and patronising the woman he was paired up with in some of the most awkward TV I've ever witnessed.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Quanta posted:

So I've noticed the BBC finally dumped CJ from the Eggheads, something that was several years overdue. They've however missed an opportunity by not kicking out that dour blobfish Chris with him.

CJ left to pursue a career in acting, believe it or not. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Andore posted:

I wish Armstrong would change his repertoire on Pointless. Everyone is a great contestant who he's so sad to see go because they gave fantastic answers. I really like the show's format but fast forward through his patter because it gets so repetitive. They could easily make the show half an hour if they didn't spend so much time recapping or patronising the contestants.

The blame there really lies with the BBC stretching out the show so much. It takes so long to get through the questions and the answers, and then repeating them it takes what could be an interesting quiz show and makes it boring. Personally I prefer The Chase, if only because its a much snappier format.