Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I've just started watching This is England '86 and I'm a little underwhelmed (and a little lost). Should I watch the movie before going any further into the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

yes

it's a really great film and everything will make far more sense

Thanks

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Tonight's the Fry & Laurie reunion show, you loving dopey goons

quote:

Fry And Laurie Reunited
9pm, GOLD

Rather than a simple clip show, this is a specially-convened summit between Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, together on screen for the first time in 15 years. It's hard to make much out over the gales of self-deprecation but, over 90 minutes, the friends discuss their working relationship and history together, vamping on some old themes for the benefit of the camera. Fry is never far from our screens, so the real revelation is Laurie, whose less widely exposed wryness is hilarious. At Cambridge the pair met in Fry's room. "A2," says Laurie, "also the Folkestone road . . ."

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Best Fry and Laurie sketch?

"Your Name, Sir?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoS2BU6bbQ

or

"Mr. Burmie"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZuH2BU0FE

are my favorites

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

haha, I forgot the Rupert Murdoch one, that's awesome.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

So no Thick of It this year, I take it?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Hoops posted:

I haven't heard anything about them even thinking about writing a new series. I assume Armando Ianucci helped write those Alan Partridge shorts, I'm not sure if he's doing anything else right now.

So probably not, no.

I would have sworn I read about a new series, based on the last election. Or maybe it was just a special.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

Brooker's effectively been promoted and now he's repackaging his stuff for a wider audience. I don't think it's such a big issue, even as someone who's watched every *wipe episode.

What's the draw, then? I'm a massive Brooker fan, but if I've already seen these on Screenwipe, Newswipe and/or You Have Been Watching, then why am I supposed to watch How TV Ruined Your Life?

I guess maybe it's for people who didn't watch any of his other shows. Okay. Thanks, Charlie?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Is there anything similar to Mock the Week/HIGNFY airing currently? (I know Mock is on, but that's the only one I can find.) Current events/comedy panelist/quizy type thing?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

David Walliams' Wall of Fame on Sky is described as a "Newsey Quizzy Gossipy thing" but I'm not going to watch it. It has Jack Dee on it though.

That sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Muppetjedi posted:

8 out of 10 cats is back on.

Fridays at about 9.00 on C4

Oh, that's a good one, I'd forgotten about that show.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I'm confused. Is there not going to be a real Big Brother, or is it just Celebrity Big Brother?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

So HIGNFY, 8 out of 10 Cats, Mock the Week, QI, Would I Lie to You are all on hiatus it appears. Can anyone recommend a newsy/quizy/comedy panely show that's airing now? I feel like there's an obvious one I'm forgetting about. Thanks!

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

"There's a typo - it should say 'culpable.'"

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Can someone explain the Carr tax thing to me? From what I read whatever he did was legal, so why is he having to apologize? Bear in mind I live in America, where it's basically assumed that wealthy people are involved in various schemes to pay as little taxes as possible.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Are Mock the Week, 8 out of 10 Cats and Have I Got News For You not airing right now? Is there something similar that's currently airing?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Ok, thanks. Weird that one of them wouldn't have figured out to shoot/air when the others are off.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

DominoDancing posted:

For what it's worth, in January and February Newswipe with Charlie Brooker was on. Not a panel show, but if you're looking for a humour/current events it might scratch your itch.
Regarding 8 Out of 10 Cats, I guess ever since they started doing 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown (which was also on in January and February), scheduling for the regular show is getting even more complicated.

drat it! I love Newswipe, I had no idea that was back on. That would have been perfect.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Can someone please tell me the name of the TV series (or maybe it was just a special?) that followed little kids in a school. It was in a Gogglebox episode but unfortunately I don't remember what season. There was an episode they watched where two little kids were best friends, and one decided to be best friends with another girl or something, and it was really sad, and then at the end the two original kids were friends again. That's all I remember but I only saw the segment they featured on Gogglebox. Thank you!

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Secret life of 4 year Olds. Or kids. Something like that

That's it, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

happyhippy posted:

8 out of 10 Cats Does British Bake Off.

Sort of want to see Sean Locke make a cornish pastie now.

Signed