Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Padje posted:

Please everybody watch Community when it starts on VIVA. It's the closest thing we have to Arrested Development, but probably more appealing to a wider audience, as all the characters look like they've fallen out of different genres, providing different types of jokes (some of which, sadly, are the aforementioned 'you are a black person' jokes).

Chevy Chase hasn't been this funny in decades, and another guy, Danny Pudi, playing a borderline aspie who views everyone else's life as if it's a tv show, is going to be the biggest comic star of the next few years.

Do you work on Viva?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Got The Hunger Ted posted:

Also - who gets Sons of Anarchy if Bravo's going? I hope Sky get it, it's deserving of a bigger audience that Bravo + Five US get it.

Bear in mind that Sky owns our company now, including all the programming content. So they already have the show. It won't disappear. It does pretty good numbers on Bravo by the way, as good as if it aired on Sky 1. Bravo has had some shows do spectacularly well in the last year - Spartacus nearly hit 1m for its finale - that's Lost numbers.

I'm very sad to see it go :(

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

that appears to be the case

it literally only just got rebranded though, like last month. And now it's dead. what the gently caress sky

If you think about Sky Sports News leaving Freeview, Sky do not want to have channels on there that add affinity for the platform as a good alternative to Sky. So something like Virgin 1 / Channel One, which is the home of a few shows with brand affinity, and some strong library stock like Star Trek, works against Sky's primary remit, which is to sell subscriptions. However, something like Sky 3, which transmits old stock that no one particularly loves, but will still rate, is perfectly suited to Sky's purposes.

Edit:

bitterandtwisted posted:

What the gently caress, sky3 is nothing like Virgin1. Virgin1 had star trek and x files. Sky3 had... uh... Dog Borstal? Is that still running? I watched that once. And one part of the election debates.

loving Murdoch just stole all of freeview's sci-fi from me.

Case in point.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

lewi posted:

Whats happening with Channel One/Virgin? They're showing Chuck and Leverage back to back - two of my favourite TV shows. And they just showed an advert for Nikita which they're picking up even though it's only just started showing in the US. Please say this channel will carry on existing...

The channel will be closing.
Nikita promos have always been for the show premiering on Living.
If you want to watch new Chuck and new Leverage then you should probably subscribe to Sky or VM.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

The real reason +1 channels exist is so the broadcasters can charge companies twice as much for the same amount of advertising

Close. Ad-revenue is collected pro-rata to how many people watch those adverts. So if 3 people watch on the main channel, and 1 on the +1, it's 33% more advertising revenue (all else being equal). It's a pretty easy trick that doesn't cost any real extra money beyond buying the slot and transmitting the signal (most acquisitions deals bundle in time-shifted viewing at no extra cost).

As a whole viewers prefer having them to not having them - it's not like there's opportunity cost there. Having Living +1 isn't stopping some plucky new channel from coming into existence.

And then we launched Living +2 :science:

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

So Channel One (formerly Virgin 1) is being closed tonight. A bit of trivia is that this is the larges channel ever to close down on British TV (Bravo holds the record as far as market share goes).

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Metrication posted:

I remember when that used to be FTV. Looked hideous with awful programmes.

Ok, by the way it's being replaced with Challenge on freeview. So I hope you don't include old episodes of Krypton Factor and the Crystal Maze when you spoke of Ftn's awful programming....

Steve Higginson posted:

Wasn't it only rebranded two or three months ago? Where the hell am I gonna watch endless episodes of Next Gen to combat the Sunday hangover?

It was rebranded because Sky bought the company (my company) who ran ran it, and obviously it couldn't stay as Virgin 1, so it received a cheap, temporary rebrand. We didn't know it was going to close when it was changed (though we highly suspected).

You'll be able to find TNG on Sky's (ours, since I made the transition) portfolio of channels. There's this one launching soon that focuses on US programming, you may have seen a billboard/commercial.

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 31, 2011

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

wickles posted:

RUPERT MURDOCH - A PORTRAIT OF SATAN
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/01/rupert_murdoch_-_a_portrait_of.html
A great post from Adam Curtis.

Reading this in the Sky offices now :)

(Edit: On my lunch hour)

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 1, 2011

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Just popping in to say that NBC drama Awake is launching on Atlantic tonight at 10pm. This is the first show I've ever stuck my neck on the line to get on any channel I've ever worked on, so I'll be bummed when it tanks here like it did in the States. But it's really good.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Yay, it took an overnights of 112,000 which is bigger than either Smash or Mad Men (with playback that should get to around 300k). My balls are safe, for now.

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Xachariah posted:

I'm kind of annoyed about the Sky Atlantic channel. I know Sky are only trying to differentiate themselves from competitors, but I still hate them for making a channel for exclusive stuff which Virgin/BT customers can't get.

In respect of the business side of things, I can appreciate the value for Sky to do things this way. Personally and irrationally I think they are assholes.

FYI - the reason why Sky Atlantic is not on VM is that Sky and VM could not reach an agreement over how much VM would pay Sky to carry the channel. Nothing to do with exclusivity. That's just a consolation.