Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Daybreak US version was pretty good for all intensive porpoises in that it was a standalone series that had an ending, imagine that in this day and age.

Here is a helpful diagram for americans who watch british tv
Skins > Inbetweeners
Doctor Who > Sherlock
Sherlock > Luther
Life on Mars > The Sweeney
Top Gear > The Sweeney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I rarely watch eastenders but I have been enjoying the Phil on crack storyline just because it makes the other plots seem like small potatoes, which they are. And the only likeable character is Patrick who hasn't been in it for a while, sheesh.

They'll probably kill off Peggy by the end of this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Dot leaves as well as she looks like a five hundred year old wizard.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

http://community.livejournal.com/adam_and_joe/

If you trawl back far enough I think somebody uploaded about 3 years worth of stuff somewhere.

I'm really disliking how shows are getting cut down more and more, episode wise. It seems to be getting a little more common to have 3-4 episode runs rather than the slightly pezzy 6 episodes we're used to. I once heard/read somewhere that most shows lose steam by the third series, but in the UK that's only 12 episodes whilst that's barely a season in the U.S. I don't know. On the one hand we get 2 episodes of Sherlock next year whilst things like Shameless and Big Brother seem to go on for half a year.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The last episode of Grandma's House was pretty good. I really enjoyed it when Clive turned up. Though I laughed a lot more at Inbetweeners, Grandma's House gave me more to actually think about. I'm not sure if this is good for a comedy programme, but as a general bit of tv I liked it quite a lot. At least a lot more than The Royle Family, which is about the closest show style wise I can think of at the moment. I'm not really sure why Grandma's House got less praise than Royle Family and I know it wasn't an easy show to like but overall I found it one of the more enjoyable things I've watched this year.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

This is england was better than last week. I still don't really get what direction the show wants to take, but it's entertaining. Still holding out that combo turns up and ruins everybodies poo poo.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like Westwood a little bit. He's like a ghetto chav version of Pete Tong. I hate catherine tate though. I didn't even watch her dumb show but know more than I should about her.

When is Have I Got News For U back on? Mock the Week's got a little better since I last bothered with it but the sets not as well lit and there's no real political guests to bait.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Finished watching the first Stephen Hawking's Universe, it's good. I was expecting something like a documentary about the history of the universe but instead it's an hour of speculation about aliens and next week is about time travel. And Benedict Cumberbatch does the voice of Stephen Hawking.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I liked This Is England. I'd be more than happy if it was about the ridiculous biker boy gang, but having them just popping up from time to time is good as well. I thought the rape was quite well done, as tv rapes go. I watch This is England with my friends and they complain a lot about how nothing happens, but stuff does happen and it's more realistic than shameless or some other guff. I am interested in the way that the north is portrayed on tv as the only real examples I can think of that have come out recently have been red riding, shameless and this is england. 2 of those were set more than 20 years ago and all 3 deal with horrible shitbags. I don't really dig it. If you ever want a goodish analysis of the north Stuart Maconie wrote a book called Pies and Prejudice that is available in your local charity shop.

I am sick of the ads for seven days (as well as the general overuse of the xx in tv spots this year). With all the bullshit about choosing what the people do next I was hoping there would be some kind of voting system so one could make them quit their job or eat a full tub of butter but instead it's just like twitter or some bollocks.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

slotbadger posted:

I thought the film was set in Grimsby? They're on the coast, I think...

I assumed it was northish yorkshire with woodys accent, but then combo sounds like he's from newcastle and lol sounds kind of leicster. maybe it's just meant to be a generic town, the title of the show is This is England after all.

I watched Don't Tell the Bride, it was terrible. Usually the groom manages to pull off something that the bride likes but that wedding just seemed like a holiday in vegas for balloon head. The only redeeming moment was when they were walking around the strip and they bump into those two fat guys drinking from glasses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/09/dont-tell-the-bride.shtml

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I watched last weeks cube, I like the aspect of 'i could easily do that' to the point that me and friend tried to recreate some of the challenges in our living room. Although beyond that I really like the dumb special effects punctuated by philip schofield semi-encouraging failure.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I quite liked that episode. It's still quite bizarre but I laughed more at this one than the others combined.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never knew Harry Hill was a Doctor.

“Harry Hill encapsulates everything wrong with British society. What signals is he sending out to his big white shirt and large NHS spectacles? Fooling about, a qualified doctor needed by everybody.” - Mark E. Smith

This week I have been enjoying A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. You can tell he's quite passionate about the subject with the added bonus that most of the surviving actors from films like Frankenstein are now both scarier and less realistic looking than the monsters in the movies they were in.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

watching

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vlq0y/Classic_Albums_Black_Sabbath_Paranoid/

this at the moment. Pretty good documentary. For the most part I'm a little iffy about documentaries of stuff I'm half familiar with as it retreads a lot of old ground, but for a documentary about Paranoid which I haven't listened to for a while let's me appreciate it a bit more.

I noticed that there's a friends thing on bbc iplayer. If it's some kind of social network bullshit specifically for iplayer would anybody else be interested in joining and starting a tiny group? I'm not sure if that's even possible, but if it is it's something I wouldn't mind being a part of perhaps.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

http://www.avclub.com/articles/hbo-picks-up-white-house-comedy-from-in-the-loop-w,47015/

ianucci going abroad to flog american thatcher romcom

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I liked the trip. Plus it was filmed near where I grew up, awesome dudez! Looks like they're playing it pretty straight, glad there's not much north baiting as there seems to be in more or less everything else.

Psychoville was good. The semi-disabled guy obsessed with serial killers seemed a little more intelligent than normal, but it was a dream so that's okay.

Not really related but there was recently this story on the bbc site about an exploding collar, which is interesting to read. There's a bit in it a little later where he mentions that the rant of a bipolar woman as hilarious, which I e-mailed him about saying 'i dont know if you can say that' kind of thing and he e-mailed me back saying 'you're right' but it hasn't been altered or anything. Not that it really offends me, I just thought it strange that it was both there and I felt the need to point it out to the journalist. But I was drunk whilst I was doing it so that's alright. Whatever.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SeanBeansShako posted:

He was destined for greater things :(.

http://bandonthewall.org/events/2661/

boom!

chris barrie's mix of his reading voice and rimmer voice is funny.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I enjoyed the trip this week. I think of it as a show with sketches using impression and food rather than a sitcom. The last few seconds got the biggest laugh for me this week. It's one of the few shows I laugh out loud (lol) at.

Which reminds me, I'm getting a bit bored of any panel guest over 40 going on about twitter or facebook and how they don't understand it. It's the equivalent of a George Bush joke for 2010, get a grip dudes.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Sorry to drag the whole Seinfeld thing back up, but I think it's pretty good from season four onwards. You need to watch a few before getting into it, which sounds sort of counter-intuitive for a tv programme to be, although it pays off. I hated a lot of shows after watching one or two episodes (mad men, 30 rock, deadwood), then went back to them later and got them. There's a lot of good stuff about.

Part of what I like about british tv though is it rewards general, almost random watching. Traditionally there have been fewer channels therefore more of a chance other people watched oddities that make you bite your fist. Part of what I liked a lot about that children in need retrospective was showing the youtube style clips of rolf harris doing peg the leg or whatever the gently caress.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8127247/Student-tuition-fees-protests-BBC-criticised-over-f-protester.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFNPWekUYM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItQH7kTFiNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vIjN_1074
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wr-oAL958M

and pretty much all of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgplTgol0ts

etc.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Flatscan posted:

I think it has something to do with American audiences being unable to comprehend a quiz where the points don't matter and nobody wins anything at the end. I vaguely recall that being a big problem for the yank version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but I might be wrong.

one of the things that annoys me about QI is the way that the scoring is set up. I get than alan davies is always meant to lose, but he regularly gets -17 and such when I can't see any reason why.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Watched 'Mad and Bad: 60 years of science of tv' last night, I recommend it. It's a history of science documentarys mostly with a little about science fiction thrown in, but it was a pretty good clip show and overview of the science documentary.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm not sure if I'm being pathetic but I think my hair actually stood on end whilst watching 'Whistle And I'll Come To You'. Good choice for a christmas eve, would go well with watching 'The Shout' I think.

Now to catch up on the rest of the christmas stuff like the ronnie corbett documentary. Merry Christmas dudes.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Just watched The First Men In The Moon not having much idea what it was about besides it had been written by Mark Gatiss. I recommend you watch it if you're into science fiction. Sometimes it had shades of Doctor Who although that's not really a bad thing for a ninety minute BBC science fiction drama. Although it has a sequence where Gatiss is wearing a cricket jumper and carves a polygon out of an apple.

So give it a watch, jeez.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I dislike Frankie Boyle and turned buzzcocks off halfway through.

On the other hand Live Stargazing was fun in a whimsical way. My friends complained about elements of it like Brian Cox or the touch screen but I thought it added to it's charm.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Friends is alright. I like the episodes where Ross has anger management issues but besides that it's a little, flat. My brother thinks it's one of the best comedies ever and tells me how on watching it again and again you notice new things such as characters rolling there eyes. Then again he hates 'the show with the fat guy and the skinny one where it's told from there point of view', so whichever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLvB_ybcKt0 friends without a laugh track is good though

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Flatscan posted:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tags/documentaries

Look through the list. I couldn't find a decent one for Channel 5 or Sky, but 4 are bad enough. Some of them are genuinely insightful well-made documentaries. Many of them boil down to "Awww, look at the cripples and spastics, they think they're people". "Crip on a Trip", classy as gently caress and not at all treating a disabled person like a performing monkey.

A) Try google.
B) Try addressing my point rather than my idiolect.

Like most things, I think it's about context. Not that I'm bothered either side too much, but when people watch those kind of documentaries it's a modern day equivalent of the freak show with it being okay as there is a compassionate element. Although most of the time when I've watched them with groups of people it boils down to 'would you rather have a massive head or a tiny head' and poo poo like that. But there's the illusion that the documentary is showing some kind of human story and once in a while I care what's going on. It's pretty straightforward really.

I get the impression that Frankie Boyle plays on this, which I don't mind that much either as language should be free and easy, especially in comedy. Though the way he conducts himself, on stage at least, winds me up a bit. Not everyone watching will be analyzing his jokes, they'll just be laughing because they see those jokes as funny. It's less Andrew Dice Clay and more Bernard Manning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIpO8rR95iM I think Manning is funny sometimes though. He's ridiculous.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Richard Hammond is looking more and more like Richard Madeley every day.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I wasn't allowed to eat fish as a child as my dad thought that they give you cancer. And I'm as healthy as the next person, probably. Plus the price of tuna has gone up loads since 2009, it's not that great.

quote:

I just bought Bruce Parry's Tribe on DVD from Amazon for £9.99. I saw quite a few of them but not all of them so am looking forward to watching it again. It's easily one of the best things that's been on in years.
He's so much like Louis Theroux - they seem to want to get him involved in everything and he just smiles, nods and then drinks cow's blood or turns his foreskin inside out. It's amazing.

If you enjoyed the one where he takes drugs, there's another one where he takes a different drug. I can't remember the details, though one's in Africa and has him sat in a hut having a bit of a rough time and the other is in Indonesia or something and doing some tribal drumming and dancing. Both are pretty interesting if you're at all interested in shamanism, tribes, drugs or bruce parry.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Kind of makes me wonder why they don't show Tomorrow's World any more. I suppose it's been replaced by 'Click', but click is pretty much Braniac with consumer gadgets instead of exploding caravans.

Unless Tomorrow's World is today. Then that means tomorrow is the Day After Tomorrow and we're all going to get snowed in and have to live in Mexico.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

NaDy posted:

One physicist realised that the black hole could be kind of like a hologram. They store 3D information on a 2D plane. So as the matter passes through the event horizon (point of no return) of a black hole, the information stays there, not going further in. The event horizon is a 2d surface, but holds all the information of the 3D matter. This concept could potentially be used to explain the universe. The edges of the universe could potentially be where all the information of the universe is stored. Thus everything inside the universe is just a projection, or hologram of what is happening on the 'event horizon' of the universe.

Thanks for writing that, I was a little bored by the first half hour and just got up the stephen hawking bit when I decided to have a nap. I wish Horizon would get over the double slit experiment, gosh. I'm not sure if it's because of the stuff I watch but it's been in pretty much all of them with various degrees of cgi.

I quite liked Nathan Barley. But I'm an art student so see/saw a lot of what they were riffing on. Welcome to creativilization.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

phujck posted:

The double slit experiment is not something you can "get over". The Copenhagen interpretation is pretty loving agnostic about what's going on, which is problematic when you can get the result not just using electrons, but freaking bucky balls. Those are big molecules- if they experience quantum effects too, it makes it all the more loving mysterious why we don't. Decoherence theory is not as convincing as it should be!

tl,dr;

Double slit experiment is very important, and it's the go to example for a much bigger interpretational issue.

I understand that, I just think viewers should be familiar enough with it by now as it's on pretty much on every documentary about quantum theory. I'd like it if it was either briefly mentioned and explained or a full hour given to explaining it. A series exploring quantum mechanics in the style of 'wonders of the solar system' would be good to explain things a little more in depth.

Similar to how comedy shows sometimes take risks, I'd like to see a science documentary take risks. Michael Mosley and Brian Cox are good, but I'd like to see them go a bit further. I went to a lecture by Brian Cox last year and though it was a little tough to keep up with sometimes it went a lot deeper and covered more ground than any recent episode of Horizon.

I watched Tool Academy the other night. It was entertaining enough but the whole thing was jarringly American. I'll watch it again even though the angry one left.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/24/bbc_online_purge/

Cuts in the bbc online department. That's news enough but that site lead me to the BBC archives that I had no idea existed. Some interesting stuff, even if it's just from the perspective of seeing how documentation has changed since previous decades.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The skits were the worst bits on HTRYL, but it was good enough. Since he's become famous and met famous people I doubt he'll be doing much more screenwipe stuff where he calls reality tv show contestants twiglets with bulldog lovely dick hole faces or whichever. It's interesting maybe how he used to be an stay-at-home curmudgeon and as his fame builds he becomes less offensive, a little how he chastised reality contestants who after the programme has aired they become more 'normal'. Although I don't understand his hair.

I'm interested in the aspect of reality television, showing hyper-real situations through the television. I also see it interesting how a lot of our big comedies from the last decade (the office shot as a documentary, peep show as first person) incorporate this kind of faux-reality into their structure. Makes me wonder where it'll lead a little, especially with poo poo like 3D coming. It's nice to speculate at least. Maybe fahrenheit 451 will be a possibility yet.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like the last one where his tractor runs away from him.

Though this is my favourite PSA, the spirit of dark and lonely water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6IVUvVsAs

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I liked Brooker. Kind of felt when he was talking about programmes like 'The Word' that it was similar to 10'Clock Live though.

I'm guessing Radcliffe and Maconie will be taking over Laurel Laverne/Huey Morgans slot, I dunno. I liked Radcliffe and Maconie on 2 as I don't always have access to digital radio, so Radio 2 is usually my second choice.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Is human planet any good? I thought it would be a good direction for the nature documentary to go after planet earth and blue planet. Maybe a documentary about life in the higher atmosphere.

They had Tom Baker do the answer phones for BT a while ago. Maybe they can use the same technology to make the Attenborg.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

They should remake red dwarf.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Yeah but he's also Al Capone. So...shucks.

I keep meaning to go to Craig Charles' Funk n Soul night in Manchester as it's just up the road but never get round to it. His show on 6 music is good enough not to make some other red dwarf, the last one wasn't that good. A bit better than series 8 but only by a tiny bit, then it dropped the ball with all the blade runner references. Let it lie.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I agree with David Mitchell when he goes on about the BBC on carpool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TlXtoKBWoY

Pretty much how it's good. Sheesh. A lot of the other car pools on there are worth watching.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I reckon good for the one show that a presenter asked that to the PM. Imagine if an American celebrity did that to Obama. Maybe there's a secret Blue Peter Cabal of Matt Baker, Konny Huq and Richard Bacon of overthrowing the establishment in an extremely passive aggressive manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

You can have a license go along with you to other properties. If you don't have an aerial connected you should be alright.

Towards the end of last year I had a tv connected up and didn't have a license. We had a few letters saying 'we know you're watching tv' kind of thing but ignored them. Then one Saturday afternoon a guy came knocking on the door saying that he knows we are watching tv and we could either pay on the spot or he could come round in about twenty minutes with a warrant or whatever and we'd get fined. We ended up paying which wasn't too steep as I live with two other people but still. Be careful who you answer the door to anyway, they can work in the evenings or the daytime, seven days a week.