Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Graviton v2 posted:

Just thought I should remind you guys of the best show ITV ever made since we have a Tory mob back in charge ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3hQUjN9_Q

An even better programme, and even more proof that ITV was once edgy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azxNL-T3IFQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Adrianics posted:

I made it through fifteen minutes of TEE HEE THE SET WOBBLED WHEN THEY SHUT THE DOOR before shutting it off. And they managed to make a two hour show out of that?

BBC3 is the most pointless channel ever, why they don't just make it exclusively for repeats and bump the good stuff to BBC2 I don't know

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Sup, brits. I watched Sherlock and enjoyed it, now I'm wondering what you guys though of that Luther show. Most reviews only speak of the first episode, and they say it's pretty ridiculous and average, so I'm wondering if the show got better before I try it out.

Show got better.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Peep show, the Inbetweeners, Fresh meat are very British adult sitcoms and usually feature high up in best comedy lists

Phoneshop is a little less known but I think it's the funniest comedy we've put out in the last 20 odd years. It is unashamedly south London and might not translate internationally

Green wing for something surreal, kind of like a sketch show inside a sitcom

Coupling if you want to see what happened when the UK tried to copy friends and ended up somewhere else because we just can't hug anything out. This one is pretty divisive as quite a few people hate it but I thought it was pretty good

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Goodnight sweetheart was rubbish middle aged, middle England fodder

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Rev is a nice bittersweet comedy about a vicar who believes in the message, but is in inner city London with an apathetic parish and an economically driven diocese. It's very understated, akin to the Detectorists (although far more brutal)

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 14, 2023

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

Its kinda wild seeing so many recs for the Britas Empire which i find the second dullest most predictable and unfunny sitcom the 90s produced (after the thin blue line)

Bit unfair in a decade with birds of a feather and keeping up appearances (though the only bit I can remember is the receptionist saying his name funny)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

fischtick posted:

People Just Do Nothing is an Office-like mockumentary about folks running a pirate radio station from a council flat. Starts strong and pretty much stays there.

The problem I have with people just do nothing is, while it's watchable and the situations are entertaining, the format is all wrong, the big reason the office was a big hit was that it could have been any office across the country, and had lots of characters that had enough similarity to someone everyone worked with at some point or another.

People just do nothing was a bunch of caricatures having wacky japes, and would have been far stronger being a standard sitcom.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I bought my parents an LG TV to replace their 10+ year old samsung TV + Humax box last year, they're nearly 80 and started using streaming apps in anger for pretty much the first time, they really took to the magic remote

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

The cliffhanger at the end of the third episode took the piss.

After really enjoying the much tighter structure of survivor, I'm not sure I can do however many weeks of blue-balling that hinted at.

Also Ash is loving dreadful, what were they thinking making her a traitor. Miles is good telly though.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 5, 2024

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Much easier to watch without having to wait for the next episode.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

If you find this you must watch it

Marcooos!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

The adventure game had a talking pot plant sucking kids into the eternal void of space.

Knightmare used to off kids in all manner of different ways, a swinging spiked ball sounds totally on brand there but it was medieval themed.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Watched the first episode of Things You Should Have Done last night.

Wife fell asleep immediately but I thought it was fairly original and somewhat funny in places.

Brought back memories though as it's based in Ramsgate and featured a road I got arrested on a while back.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

My cub pack was on No 73 once

We sat around on the floor doing nothing all morning. Set dressing

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

stev posted:

I can understand being insecure about your own success but being upset about your own wife's success is pathetic af

Bit of presumption about him there

Jon Richardson was entertaining years ago but he's done his gimmick to death. He wasn't charismatic enough to go full McIntyre, and panel shows have become tired.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

They should do more stuff like the Joe Lycett late night chat show. TV comedy needs more anarchy.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

At least Josie Long isn't on all that much any more

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Taear posted:

How can you dislike Josie??

I guess overexposure as one of the few young female comics at the time (like, over a decade ago). She was in the vanguard of panel shows booking female comedians but didn't have the ability to quip and came across really bitter. Criticism of her became incredibly toxic.

I get that she's "alternative", but she was putting herself in the mainstream and couldn't cope with it.

See also Rosie Jones now. I'm sure she's a great writer and fantastic person but very divisive and breaks the chummy chat rule that panel shows live or die on.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Stewart Lee knew never to do panel shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Trickery is the left and right thing

A lot of people get that muddled up (myself included)