Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Is there any vaguely legitimate way to get lasting copies of dramas and programs from BBC Radio. I missed the Feynman programs on Radio 4 last Saturday and I'm currently listening to and really enjoying Faust which was on Raido 3 last Sunday but runs out today.

Seems harsh that 4OD can have so many programs up for free streaming, but the BBC don't have anything like that for their own content, especially after the taxpayers have paid for it anyway. I haven't delved in Radio much before but I'm really enjoying it for the moment and don't just want to lose it all after 7 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

cloudchamber posted:

iPlayer costs the BBC millions already. Having an archive service would drive them further in to the red.

Someone tell the BBC I would happily pay a subscription fee for it.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Adrianics posted:

Chris Moyles, Jack Whitehall and Patrick Kielty together in any context is not good unless it is "the following people are on fire".

I read the first 7 words and thought this was going to end "...well, you put two shots into Kielty and have fun with the end of the rifle".

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I'm not really a fan of Buzzcocks for reasons people have given here, but a friend of mine got tickets to the third show in this series so I went. The special guests were Jedward. What followed blew my mind and I'm very interested to see how it comes out for the 28 minute cut.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

thebardyspoon posted:

I heard Jack Dee drove them to tears by ripping the poo poo out of them mercilessly.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Apparently it wasn't that bad.
Higson is completely right here. The article the other guy posted from the Metro headlines that they were nearly in tears...no they weren't (at least, not during the hours of filming), they either took each insult straight to the face and moved on, or simply didn't understand it and moved on.

When I went I didn't know they'd be on it, and when I saw they were I thought I'd have to be prepared for how annoying they would be. And they were very very annoying. And the guests went from gently mocking them to heavily ripping them, to the point where Dee calls them special needs versions of eachother (and cunts at one point too I think). There was a general level of disbelief about how...air-headed the pair were.

But if anything, Fielding started becoming very protective of them, and even Jupitus starts being friendly with them as the show went on. Everyone just kind of realised, these are two young, excitable boys from Ireland who want to sing and be on TV, and that's it. The 'problem' was they had boring anecdotes, loved talking and couldn't follow the train of conversation; so they shouldn't be on Buzzcocks. Annoying yes, but nothing malicious. Being cruel to them directly just started feeling harsh. I never want to see them ever again, but I can't feel too strongly against a couple of kids who mean no harm.

It's really funny stuff though, I'm looking forward to it.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 25, 2010

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Psybro posted:

The first series of Boosh had some funny ideas and Julian Barrett is lovely, but it suffered diminishing returns like Little Britain or the third League of Gentleman series, going back to the well too many times on its more unique ideas. It also suffers from a core fanbase too caught up in the superficial aspects and missing the point somewhat.

You put something I generally felt into better words than I could, except the 3rd series of LoG bit. I can still quote bits from the first series with friends, but the later series didn't click for me at all.

I wish Julian Barrett was on TV more, he seems the more interesting whenever I see them normally. Maybe if they were both on TV half as much as Fielding is on in total now, the world would be a better place!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
If 10 O'Clock is just going to have interviews where experienced PR men walk circles around the interviewer, and pull in a pantomime crowd performance with people shouting over eachother for the terrorist detention discussion, then they may as well give up. They can't have it both ways; it's either a politics discussion show or it isn't.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Royality posted:

But David Mitchell is so intelligent, everyone says so! It's the same kind of mentality that makes people who aren't experts in a topic feel like they have a valid opinion because all the company they keep are constantly telling them how clever they are.

Makes you appreciate what Paxman and ilk do alot more now. It's obviously very hard.

Part of the problem is what you say; I don't particularly take seriously anything they have to say on any matter. Mitchell is the only one who seems vaguely well informed, which is why he does the 'hard stuff', except he's clearly not as good as the people they pit him against.

The last bit kind of summed it up, when they were sitting around a table and Laverne brought up control orders, and asked for opinions. I'm not sure what qualifies anyone around that table to give an opinion more than a vox pox, but the only response that comes is Brooker who makes a Big Brother joke. In 2011. Then they move on.

If you had people like Will Self or Mark Thomas giving their opinions or interviews, then I'd sit up and listen. Bird and Fortune wouldn't be picked up again, but if they could find a younger version of those (who started off in their 20s themselves), they would fit here. This is a good example, although of course I wouldn't demand something of this standard, but maybe of this type.

I think Carr is OK since he's actually a pretty good presenter and ab-libber, and his 'police scared of the dark' comment at the end was pretty good. Just don't get him to do anything but present.

It just seems a shame that because they clearly market it at 20-35 age bracket, they feel it has to be a bit dumbed down too.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 29, 2011

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Any discussion about Super Sweet Sixteen has to include the girl who insisted in riding not a horse, but a zebra at her birthday party, and watching as her sole incomphrensible dream was slowly crushed before her eyes. Someone convinced her that this was not a good idea, and that they should just get a normal horse to look like a zebra, so they just literally painted on some black stripes (badly) onto a white horse. Which looked terrible and humourous, except Sweet Sixteen kept telling her parents "Well, you'll have to get me a zebra now...", with the glare of a child who has never been told "No". While everyone was quiely chuckling at how bad the horse looked, the girl was steaming and expecting that damned zebra.

I'm not a spoilt 16 year old girl, so I have never been in any position to understand this, but I don't get why they want to learn and perform dance routines flanked by professional dancers. Singing, I understand, but 'performing' a terrible routine being shown up by people who do it for a living just sounds like a recipe for embarrassment.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
So, did Matt Baker asked that in the scrutiny sense or the light-hearted sleeping banter sense? I watched thinking it was the former, and it makes his little grin seem hilariously evil, but watching it back it is the second one right? And Cameron obviously clicked as he does a nervous laugh as he answers the question.

I didn't see the show, only the clip, so I don't know the context.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
And while I'm here, I would like to like Wonders of the Universe, because it is essentially good, it just has so much padding it is a little bit embarassing.

Somehow I doubt Brian Cox, when he delievers his university lectures, walks slowly to a corner of the room with music playing, makes a point, then walks slowly across the room with music playing, makes another point, then walks slowly etc etc.

He doesn't really need to go to four exotic places an episode.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

goatface posted:

Every history student I've known has thought that Starkey is a bit of a oval office, but acceptable because he's not Schama.

I heard Mark make a comment like this on Peep Show, why are they disliked? Is it a 'popular on telly' thing? I don't really watch either, so I'm not personally hurt or anything.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

SAZattack posted:

Their level of English depends on what class they are in and how old they are, with the older ones obviously tending to be better than the younger ones, since they have been taught English for longer. I'm relatively new at the school, though, so as I haven't taught most of the kids, I can't be more specific.

Most of the suggestions seem good so far, and I'll definitely pass the appropriate ones on to the teacher.

Any ideas for something that's perhaps less educational? Something kids would want to watch for fun?

I had something like this for French kids, and I generally found that what they watched were American shows with French subtitles, as you have a bit more to choose from. Sorry it's not British TV, but stuff like The Simpsons and Glee went down well. We don't really have anything like that in England, at least in quality and appeal.

What we do do well is films. They love our films, particularly the girls. Bridget Jones (maybe for the older), I seem to remember Johnny English went down better than it had any right to.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

ibroxmassive posted:

Watch Children of Earth. Avoid nearly everything else unless you have some kind of masochistic streak but seriously, Children of Earth was brilliant. And had Malcolm Tucker in it.

The premise behind Children of Earth was fine. The execution was dreadful. Dreadful.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

pisshead posted:

The problem with a show like that is that they eventually run out of everyday scenarios and the stories get more and more outlandish just to keep people interested. They probably shouldn't have brought it back after it was cancelled.

It was never cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Surely I'm not the only person in the thread enjoying the return of Toast. I can't quite put my finger on what is so good about 'Ray loving Purchase' but looking forward to more.