Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Another good Ramsay's Best Restaurant last night. Quite a shock after seeing him in US Hell's Kitchen last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oi, there's nothing wrong with Peep Show series 4. Sure it got a bit silly at times, but it is a sitcom.

Don't know about that; I think "Eat the dog" is an even more apt phrase than "Jump the shark".

(It has got better since then though).

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
New Harry Hill tonight! :dance:

New Louis Theroux tomorrow! :dance:

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Both The Quartermass Experiment and Sin City are on iPlayer at the moment. Also, Dawn of the Dead on tonight and will be available on iPlayer after.

I barely buy DVDs anymore!

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Zorba the Greek posted:

Well, when your forced to watch it... Seriously though. Everyone has their own tastes! I just don't find comedy like that funny.

There goes the one piece of common ground I thought held this thread together.

And since it's been brought up: TV Burp was really good last week! I loved the attempted arm movements from Strictly Come Dancing.

Edit: I agree his stand-up is the best thing he does. A treat for anybody who hasn't seen it: An audience with Harry Hill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rfdF7d4lI

lionlegs fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 26, 2010

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
I don't like all the negativity in this thread :(

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
One of my favourite films, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, is on iPlayer currently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s3v0w/The_Diving_Bell_and_the_Butterfly/

Very affecting film, I remember coming out of the cinema in a daze. Highly highly recommend it.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

NaDy posted:

Did anyone ever watch the rather obscure adult puppet show Fur tv? It was on mtv uk/tmf a while back, and whenever I see mongrels I can't get into it because it just seems like a less funny version of it.

I hope you've seen the documentary film A Complete History of My Sexual Failures by the creator of FurTV. If not, do so at your first opportunity.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

NaDy posted:

I think my favourite Horizon was one called 'Can we make a star on Earth?'. Brian Cox presented it and it was really interesting to see all these potential fusion reactors being developed. One of them even looked exactly how I pictured a fusion reactor to look like.

Yes, that was an excellent episode. The final part of the programme asked all the leading nuclear physicists to predict when the first drop of nuclear fusion power would feed into a national grid. I've still the episode, and occasionally dig it out to remind me of their estimates.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Metrication posted:

What was their verdict? 100 years?

Most of them said more like 30 years!

Found that it's all on youtube now. Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcyH7QE7rU

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

justcola posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/24/bbc_online_purge/

Cuts in the bbc online department. That's news enough but that site lead me to the BBC archives that I had no idea existed. Some interesting stuff, even if it's just from the perspective of seeing how documentation has changed since previous decades.

Adam Curtis usually digs up some excellent stuff from the archives and puts some context around it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Squalitude posted:

Can we watch it online?

(There, that's an opinion you weren't expecting!)

If you mean live, then yes, at https://www.tvcatchup.com

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

completely agree with this, I think skins is guilty of covering the same ground a number of times and also of being too melodramatic and just not like how real people act or are. Obviously it's not going to be hugely realistic but some of the stuff that's happened in previous series was just loving stupid and smacks of bad writing

I was impressed with last night's episode of Skins, it played everything pretty straight and didn't seem like it was trying to outdo previous seasons in terms of craziness and drama. More normal people in it, as others have said.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Some excellent good (Edit: just watched the last two) short British films are on iPlayer at the moment: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yy5yh/hd/BBC_HD_Film_Shorts_Series_2_Episode_2/

The first one was Oscar-nominated.

lionlegs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 24, 2011

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
The other great thing about the return of Adam and Joe is that it means Joe has finished his film!

Trailer here: http://www.empireonline.com/video/attacktheblock/
and Joe on Film 2011 here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z61qr/Film_2011_with_Claudia_Winkleman_Episode_8/

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Oh this is just mental.

Edit: In a good way.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
They just stopped half-way through Buzzcocks! I know he'd been working for 24 hours, but he could have at least done the Next Lines round :colbert:

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Kin posted:

The C4 news just went on about ticket touts for the olympics and had some guy decrying that anyone caught reselling the tickets would face a £20,000 fine. I've always wondered though, if someone buys a ticket, isn't it within their rights to sell that on if need/want be? What business is it of the original seller that a reseller makes a profit on an item?

I mean the original seller has already recieved exactly what they asked for it so it just comes across as pure selfish greed to me.

The same reason that Glastonbury tickets are linked to one person: it stops everyone reserving tickets they think their friends might want just in case. It gets the tickets directly into the hands of those who actually want to go, not to people who are picking up "spares". I've picked up second hand tickets myself to go to festivals, but I can see why they would want to make it a lottery instead of an auction system. Explicitly allowing reselling would turn it into an effective auction system because they would all be straight up on Ebay for the highest bidder.

I don't see how it comes across as greed, because as you say, the original seller doesn't make more money either way.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
I had no idea David Mitchell was dating Victoria Coren until I just saw them together on the BAFTAs programme. First Konnie Huq and now this; how heartening for ordinary looking guys!

Also, the BAFTAs is rubbish, don't bother watching it.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

justcola posted:

I was pretty shocked at Psychoville. It treads the line between drama and comedy quite well, I think, as by now I actually hope the original cast survive between the jokes. I suppose it depends how dark they want to go but judging from their previous output I doubt it's going to turn out well. A lot of what I don't get about other comedy shows, such as Scrubs or Community, is that they go through all the rigmarole of trying to humanize characters through struggle yet having the actual chance the characters may die makes me invest more in the show.

I know what you mean, the final scene with David's mum was one of the most emotional death sequences I've ever seen. I went into this show looking for laughs and I end up a sniveling wreck :(

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
I've been enjoying Penn & Teller: Fool Us on ITV the past couple of Saturdays. They did a one-off show of it earlier in the year and this is more of the same: magicians trying to fool Penn & Teller, if they can they get to perform in Vegas. I'm not a big fan of magic, or talent contests, but this is good TV. Very little emotional back-story, just lots of tricks to try and work out how they're done.

There was a classic Houdini trick this week, where Penn & Teller's remarks to the performers made me think one of them had a twin. Did anyone else get that impression?

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Semprini posted:

I'm not so sure. Penn said afterwards that if they hadn't switched the deck he had a pretty good idea how they did it, but Woss told him it was too late.

I think they did lie, but only about not making the obvious fake switch to throw P&T off the scent.

I think they still have that "adjudicator magician" watching for disagreements, who I'm sure would have stepped in if it was a complete lie.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Z-Magic posted:

A new series of Bigipedia has started :) The second episode is available in iplayer but I seem to have missed the first :(

Just listened to this for the first time: thought it was good! I'll try and seek out series 1 now.

A link for lazy people: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012l2z5/Bigipedia_Series_2_Bigipedia_2.0_The_Wisdom_Of_Crowds/

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
If any if you are going to the Fringe then you have to go and see Jo Neary's Youth Club. I've been watching preview shows every week for the past couple of months, and she was by far the funniest. A look at the awkwardness of growing up.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Hoops posted:

The problem with Derren Brown is the payoff is never quite good enough. Atleast not anymore. I never finish a programme going "wow, that was amazing". I like him as a TV personality well enough though.

I thought that this was one of his best programmes! He staged an experiment that's almost impossible to pull off outside a TV show, and which I was genuinely interested to know the answer to. Even the quick trick with the shoe amazed me. But then maybe I'm easily amazed.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Not a Twat posted:

EDIT: Also, everyone watch Peter Capaldi's The Cricklewood Greats. It's a really entertaining look at an interesting part of British film history

Thanks for the recommendation, it was great, but I was noting down film titles for the first 30 minutes before it finally clicked with me. Now how can I watch Thumbs Up Matron? :(

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
I'd highly recommend Baka: A Cry From the Rainforest on iPlayer if you're at all interested in anthropology, conservation, alcoholism, deforestation, ecology or relationships. I would think that covers most people.

It's about a small group living in a rainforest in Cameroon, and how their lives have changed in the 25 years since this film-maker last visited.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
I'm just ploughing through the Welcome to India series. Watched the first two and they've been really really good. Amazing pictures and gripping stories of people with jobs I didn't know existed (collecting gold from the street?). Catch it on iPlayer before they disappear on Wednesday.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Oh god, I Bought A Rainforest on iPlayer is one of the most depressing programmes I've ever watched. Interesting - but so dispiriting.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

Did anyone see that doc about British whaling last night? loving amazing, from the in person interviews of actual whalers (we only stopped doing it at an industrial scale in the 60s) to the presenter exploring the ghost-town whaling stations on South Georgia. Shitloads of grizzly archive footage too, definitely not for the faint hearted. I'm guessing the second part is gonna be about the decline of the industry and the moratorium

I just finished watching this and I feel a bit ill...fascinating but depressing stuff.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

Fluo posted:

I know she is a comedian (I remember her on QI and she said some kookie poo poo too) but if shes not being serious, the joke just flops both on QI and Room 101 where everything just goes awkward dead air stares of :wtc:, if its an attempt at humour it falls flat on all counts. D:

This is a good moment to bring up Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast again, since no one's mentioned it for a while and it's been having some really good guests. Also they've started uploading all of them to youtube with video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTR1v5lmXE Katherine Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usTbGDZceU Victoria Coren Mitchell revealing a couple of embarrassing things about David Mitchell

Richard Herring has done 60 (!) of them now, latest was with Sue Perkins.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
The new feature-length Adam Curtis documentary about Afghanistan is on iPlayer tomorrow, wooo...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2015/04/bitter-lake

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/jon-ronson-interviews-adam-curtis-393

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Nick Helm has his own show on iPlayer at the moment. It's good.

ookiimarukochan posted:

The really crazy acts tend to be voted out in the semis though, especially since they introduced jury voting.

The Eurovision jury voting system seems crazy. Last year the UK public voted the Polish entry (boobs in traditional costumes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ920cN2HmA) number 1, but after the jury votes were included Poland didn't get any points from the UK. It makes phone voting pretty much worthless. Although it's hard to get too :argh: about Eurovision.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Are people still watching Humans? What's the consensus on it?

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

XMNN posted:

It looks like ~£8 a series and ~£2 an episode, so I can't see myself using it much. I'm going to blame the other broadcasters bitching for it not being free, even if it isn't true. :argh: Fuckers! :argh:

It appears to be available internationally, so maybe it'll be more popular there? The prices are a couple of quid cheaper than iTunes.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
I watched To Walk Invisible on the iPlayer - best drama I've seen in a long time. The 3 actors who play the Brontė sisters are pretty much unknowns, but excellent, and are probably going to pop up in films all the time now. Seeing a period drama without all the cliche dialogue is really refreshing.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005

ineptmule posted:

I love the Peter Serafinowicz RHLSTP mainly for his amazing story about being in The Phantom Menace.

Yeah, that story was brilliant. His first appearance, where he tells that story, is definitely worth a listen. He's just been on it for a second time though and it was a pretty laugh-free zone.

I agree with Lemon's list as an intro to RHLSTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Katherine Ryan made a programme called The Duchess on Netflix, which I think fulfils the description (haven‘t watched it).