Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ChuckDHead posted:

Is it just me, or is Miranda possibly the lamest sitcom on TV? Or is it meant to be a clever tribute to old sitcoms and I'm just missing the joke?

It's My Family with slightly more risque language so it can get the time slot.
But as Captain Medicore says, its probably aimed at people who liked the comedies in the 1980's like Duty Free and such.

Pity though, she was good in Hyperdrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

cloudchamber posted:

Could you guys post a youtube video or something of the magic act you keep talking about? I've never watched the show but I'm curious about this trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FCDa2Qvhs

Maybe this one?

Cant say, didnt see it but was first for 'Penn Teller Fool Us Swedish'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

DemonNick posted:

It seems like an old labour take on new labour. It's about Blair and Brown (and the next series is likely to be about the coalition) but in terms of perspective? It's not a Tory or Lib Dem piece and that was especially apparent when Mannion was introduced.

First series it was all New Labour taking the piss out of New Labour. There was no opposition shown, only themselves cocking it up with spin and spinning themselves out of it.

Second series (the specials mainly) was New Labour vs Old Tories. Mannion was the stereotype 'old' Tory politician. Set in his ways, posh, doesn't understand new stuff, pines for the old days etc.

Third series was post Blair New Labour vs modernizing Tory Party.

I cant wait for the fourth series. I really really hope that Mannion and Nicola Whatshername are working together in the same department, and Tucker and 'The Fucker' clash every 5 minutes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I wish the House building and selling shows like this would put a 'recorded in 2004' or whatever on them during the price announcements or discussions.
As when you watch repeats of them you cant tell if that £350,000 house is worth that nowadays.
Yeah I know you can see the year made at the end of the show, but most of the time you either forget to look out for it or its shrunk by those loving annoying idents for the next show.

And a good show idea would be to catch up on all the couples and Grand Design muppets to see what happened to the house they bought 5+ years ago. How many are now bankrupt or have a crippling mortgage.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jonnty posted:

The thing I particularly hate with QI is when they try to deal with an even slightly difficult science topic - particularly when there's an actual scientist on - and everyone rushes to say how bored they are and how they'll never have a hope of even trying to understand it.

I think that's the genius of QI though.
Getting Jack Dee, Jo Brand, or Sean Locke to be a average stupid person cracking a knob gag is getting people to learn whatever the science guy is saying. As they side with comedian, they memorize that quirky fact or premise.

I would bet people can recite more QI 'facts' from years ago than the questions/answers from knowledge quizzes they saw over the last week due to this.

QI - secretly making average people know more with knob jokes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Leon with a Zero posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with EastEnders to be honest.

Now I don't have a TV at my home, I'm 100% an internet watcher.
But when I go home to my family home house (every 6+ months), there's a TV and my mother is mad about Eastenders so I get to watch at least one of them.

Eastenders has three story lines that rotate about the same actors:
1. Lovey dovey couple being lovey dovey.
2. The lovey dovey couple from 6 months ago are now cheating on each other and trying to keep the other from finding out.
3. The cheating couple from 6 months ago are separated and are talking to each other as if nothing happened*.

* Assuming one hasn't been killed by the other.

Every time for the last 2+ years its been like this. I can see its appeal as a bubblegum soap opera though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
People, you are arguing about something that doesn't exist.
If anyone could hypnotize people why do crappy TV shows and not control the freaking world. Or live in a perpetual supermodel orgy in between bouts of walking into shops and walking out with half the stock and not spending a penny.
Governments would be loving using it.

It's always actors and set up. The distraction showmanship is the real act.

Edit:

VVV Ah, I meant the concept of being hypnotized. The show, sure go ahead. Didn't mean to imply that doh.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 27, 2012

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

justcola posted:

I'm always interested in hearing about people who've been on television. I applied to Come Dine With Me the other week and had a phone interview where I was asked how competitive I was, what I felt about vegetarians and if I had any strange hobbies. I didn't really want to do the show though and only applied when I was drunk, but still, I could have had strangers in my house and been made fun of for the glory of the great british programme discussion.

There is only one way to make fun of Come Dine With Me as a contestant.
Vote everyone else a 1, giving the only reason is that you need the grand.

Its been on for years now, and no one has thought that if you score-poo poo the others you will win.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Geokinesis posted:

Noel fielding just tries too hard to be quirky and outrageous rather than actually being funny.

Also it was better when Mark Lamarr was the host. :colbert:

Fielding peaked at Series 2 of Mighty Boosh and that was in 2005. Since, he gives the impression that he knew he was cutting edge in comedy for a brief moment, but now it's lost. Always wondered how down the list he was when he got Buzzcocks.

And agreed, Mark Lamarr was the best host. Pure evil spite from him against the Z-list celebs, can't be beat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

I understand why someone wouldn't like Noel Fielding, but I do not understand why anyone would outright hate him. His 'random' comedy is at least imaginative and his burblings are very rarely objectionable or hateful. He us utterly, utterly harmless.

Don't hate him, love the gently caress out of Mighty Boosh and his char in Nathan Barley.
He just veered into bland 'monkey cheese' randomness the last few years that's not funny imo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

VogeGandire posted:

To be fair, the whole point of his character in Nathan Barley was being a loving moron.

True, but 50% of all comedy really is someone being a moron in one way or another.
Chris Morris probably wrote all that char anyway so maybe a bad example for me to use.

Hey, you might like this. This is well girly.
WHERES THE ICECREAM! WHERES THE ICECREAM! WHERES THE ICECREAM!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

I think the main problem with the US Inbetweeners is the fact that its not remotely different from any other high school comedy. The original was at least something new for UK audiences. Its difficult for me to relate with US teens getting ready for the prom, but getting smashed on energy drinks to prepare for exams and disastrous trips to Thorpe Park? We've all been there.

For Inbetweeners its more like the 'cringe comedy' divide between the US and UK.
The US is still learning how to do cringe comedy, sure Curb Your Enthusiasm is the ultimate and best of the genre so far, but it too is tame compared to some UK comedy situations. The Inbetweeners is cringe laughable, by UK standards its average, US standards it's over board.

And it doesn't help making your characters catalogue models (even the fat kid is stylized to the nth degree). Do US shows get clothing sponsors, cant imagine why they over do this.

Edit: Northern Ireland schools have 'formals' that go back waaaaaay back to the 50s at least (dad was at his). We had a stripper at my one, and ended up being banned from that hotel hosting it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 1, 2012

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

VogeGandire posted:

The thing about Limmy's Show is that it's HUGELY hit and miss. When it's good, it's amazing, and when it's bad, it's utter dreck.

Sounds like all Scottish sketch shows since the dawn of time.

If he could only turn Falconhoof Adventure Time into a show, that poo poo would be golden.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Even worse than the woman one that says snippets of conversation 'Yes I had an Italian boyfriend once'?
That ad was every ad break for a solid week, and was really loving annoying.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Rebranding day! Wheeeeeee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuBEO9Mt3A

They're not entirely bad, and at least the news studio isn't the ghastly bumblebee pattern yellow and black any more. I particularly like this one

They are 'safe', not visionary or new imo. If the ballon fired up at the end of the first one, that would make it freaking amazing.
The fire breather at the end is pretty cliche though, wasn't that an old ITV or CH4 one?

The best idents I've seen are UTV's and they've still using them. Basically take a shot of random places all over the country, from major landmarks to a hedge showing a bird or butterfly, label in one corner the location, the other the UTV logo. Simple and yet so inclusive as you see your local area in an arty scene.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

7seven7 posted:

drat, you guys weren't lying about Utopia. loving fantastic.

Holy poo poo, just watched it. drat its good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Chunk5 posted:

*Edit - Just found out that 2012 Olympics ceremonies got 24mil or so. So :shrug:

I wonder if there will come a time when they start faking reports on viewing figures.
Not for general programs like Eastenders or Coronation Street, but for UK events like the Olympics or a Royal Wedding.

No doubt no TV channel or reporting body would want to report that a third repeat of Midsummer Murder got more viewers than Prince Harry's wedding, as that would be the news for the next week rather than the event itself.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

One of my friends told me that on demand viewing still only accounts for a tiny proportion of people watching TV, like less than 10%, maybe closer to 5%. Anyone know if that's true or close to true? It seems a bit mental that the vast majority of people still make time to watch stuff as it airs and sit through all the rubbish that you can't help but watch

It's human nature because its not true 'On Demand'.
'On Demand' means only the shows over the last week (two if you are really lucky) are available, not what most people would want or be suitable for true on demand lifestyle.

It's easier and less hassle to remember that Spooks is on at 9pm Mondays (random made up so don't quote me) and to be in front of a TV for it, instead to randomly remember if you caught up with Episode 4 this week or last week go onto the website and see that the fucker isn't available anymore to watch. Now do this with a dozen shows that you watch per week.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
When the gently caress did Room 101 return and why is it so poo poo?

Saw an episode last night on the iplayer, and had to check out the other one available to make sure that the first wasn't just an off day.
It's like its been neutered for afternoon TV. And three celebs, who thought that was a good idea.
And why is there no bile or sarcastic hatred in their selected items like the older series, just safe loving things we all hate anyway. 'I hate birds making GBS threads on me at public events' was one of them, how often in your lifetime does that happen, once?

And you would think Frank Skinner would be more acidic in defending or supporting an item, especially with his quick wit. But he seems wasted, only used to cut to public domain internet clips of something related.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gonzo McFee posted:

Most telling thing for me was that Brooker said that the BBC wanted the Weekly Wipe format to essentially turn into another loving panel show. Is there a guy in the BBC who's entire job it is just to suggest that anything with a comic tint to it should be turned into a panel show?

Tonight on Weekly Wipe, Jo Brand, Dragon's Den Duncan Bannatyne, and Lily Allen!!!!

It would be Room 101 now but with the time limit on what your hated thing is restricted to the last week only.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Leon with a Zero posted:

I don't watch corrie so im intrigued with how they've dealt with the whole kevin webster business (obviously im not saying he's guilty or anything but i wonder what happens when one of their regulars in court) Have they written him out for the time being? or is he still in the rovers every-night banging on about "roseh" and "sorfeh"

They said they would cut out any scenes with him in it the day after he got arrested.
You might see a flash of the back of his head in the street or pub as he walks by though on shots of others talking in front of the camera.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

VogeGandire posted:

Hypnodisc was just unfair. How the hell do you beat what is effectively just a industrial flywheel on wheels. I remember once, hypnodisc accidentally tore through the loving barrier at the edge of the ring. Just straight through the loving plexiglass.

The only one I remember beating hypnodisc was Razor, just because it was able to grab the flywheel and buckle it so it couldn't spin.

Aw yeah, Hypnodisc was just loving not fair.

Though as kids we would make the ultimate bot! The best was a bot with a pair of abattoir bolt guns constantly firing.

If they brought it back nowadays you could probably get a few flying ones with today's tech.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bogmonster posted:

Anyone been watching In The Flesh? For a BBC3 drama it was much better than I was expecting and the concept of a "previously deceased syndrome" returning to his militia loving village up north is pretty drat good. Plus a loving brutal scene at the end of the first episode.

Its pretty drat good. Though cant see how a militia called the HVF would be tolerated by the government though, not 4 years after the end of the zombie uprising and rule put back into place.
They would have been asked to disarm or join the army surely, not allowed to rule over a lovely town.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

sex pervert posted:

Mum?

When did Masterchef become all American. I happened to catch a bit of it earlier. Time was when people in this country saw their families blown apart in their homes and they just got on with things. Now it seems that having an emotional breakdown seems to be an acceptable response to a chef criticising your beef wellington.
What a load of tosh.

HauntedRobot posted:

It's all the fake jeopardy they throw in there to ratchet up the dramatic tension. It's not enough to have people cooking, it has to be cooking that *doesn't get any harder than this*. If you want a version without all of that, watch Masterchef Australia. Not only is their format better (the UK show has copied it more and more in the last 2 years) but the whole competition is way more positive and friendly. People actually giving people encouragement and presenters that seem to get on better with the contestants.

Awwwww, my current nasty vice mentioned at last!
Don't watch TV much, but one thing that has kept me sane during work is watching Masterchef.
Now I was the same and never seen it for years, last time must have been in the Lloyd Grossman era, but I clicked on last years Masterchef Australia and was hooked.
Both of them are fake tension and such, more so in the UK version, but its like a soap opera without the cliche 4 story lines repeating themselves over and over.
Masterchef Australia is very MTV though, too touchy feely and lingering vacant stares, but the bulldog Aussie cook presenter is excellent to watch. He takes no poo poo, and looks/talks like an aussie gangster.

On Masterchef UK though, the two presenters are MASSIVE pricks, but its fun trying to spot the 'dog whistle' comments from them before the end of the show when they kick off a contestant. Or trying to guess which contestant from the 'interview to the camera' time bits will get the kick, the more air time and more emotional it is, its bye-bye time.

"This is my only one true life dream, I will literally kill my family and kids if I don't win".......110% out the door 5 mins later.

If you want blatent fake tension try watching Best British Menu that is currently on. One show a day for the full week, currently on iplayer.
Not sure if its up or not still, but one ending had the 'on tomorrows' bit showing one of the chef's over cooking some souffle or custard and they cut it into such a OMG music crashing cliffhanger.
Next episode, chef over cooks souffle/custard, says "No worries, have plenty of time to make another, only takes 5 mins".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jonnty posted:

Cristobal Tapia de Veer, who composed the soundtrack for Utopia, has made a Youtube playlist of Utopia videos. It's mostly bits of the soundtrack, which is good, but it also contains possibly the most adorable thing ever.

e: are all the personalised videos for TV critics or something?

Seems they may have pulled the channel or its censored for us plebs.
Tried joining the channel, subscribing to it, etc, and error messages every time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Loved the end of In the Flesh, really well done.

However did I catch that right as the 'twist' was that the main character committed suicide and his father made him a zombie to save him?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

sex pervert posted:

ITV News is news for vegetables. It reminds me so much of the mind rapingly vapid American network news programmes that I occasionally had to sit through when I was living over there. Actually, it's worse. At least pleasant looking people present American news. ITV has Alastair Stewart: an orange faced, animated mummy with the fixed expression of a man who has taken his first breath having just been sealed in a chamber of a thousand farts. There is nothing in human language more grating to listen to than an Englishman who rolls his Rs.

I'd like to know how you Brits feel about the amount of coverage of the royal family on TV. ITV news and Channel 5 news seem to end every show with a doting non-story about the British royal family. Tonight they were showing three of them arsing about for the cameras at some Harry Potter thing. At least in the USA they had some loving variety: some horribly afflicted person overcoming their illness, a cat getting rescued from a well or a tree, someone who'd invented something to try to make the world a slightly less horrible place. But ITV and Channel 5? Look at ARE ROYAL FAMILY! Look at how hard they work! Look at ARE KATE's new dress! Look at how normal they all are! Look at them doing things that you oiks are into!

ITV/ITN are gimped though, they have had their budgets slashed time and time again.
ITN used to be the powerhouse of news back in the 80s/90s, they had a reporter on the front line of everything back then within 24 hours.
But when the ITV channel was going under bad viewer figures a decade or so ago, they cut back on everything, including the news.
ITN now rely on buying news footage now from other channels, and they do this with the big news story of the week. You rarely see a reporter at the scene of this new story, if you do its mostly somewhere else in London like oustide the embassay of country X or outside courthouses.
For the rest of the show it takes fluff stories from close by (London) and gives them more air time than they should. "Do pedophiles cause obesity? Tune in at ten". When X-Factor and/or a pedophile has been caught must be pure heaven for them, little work to do that night.

As for the Royal Family question, as Northern Irish, all Royal Family stories are just indicators when to start skimming channels. Same with the cricket scores.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I think some recordings have lights telling people when to applause/laugh, so it seems people are manipulated into enjoying poo poo. I assume that's the reason there's such raucous laughter in The Big Bang Theory.

There was a documentary/retrospective on Friends years ago, and it had behind the scenes stuff on audiences/laugh tracks.
They will use the real audience laugh if possible, and you get a few MASSIVE laughs from the audience to a few jokes in an episode.
However to make the whole episode sound equally funny throughout, they would pad the titters and smirk jokes with the same loud laughs as the best jokes.
This also was the point that destroyed my enjoyment of Friends and US sitcoms in general. So loving fake, from the clips of Big Bang Theory I've seen I guess its evolved to placing poo poo pants laughter to everything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Seaside Loafer posted:

Ive taken it as granted that all US sitcoms come with canned laughter since forever, why so surprised? Quite like big bang theory, not exactly rolling on the floor but it gives the occasional giggle.

Not worth it for the occasional giggle imo.
I didn't mean to infer in my last post that I was surprised by this happening, it's pretty common by now for the shittier comedies world wide to used canned laughter.
I should have said its just with US sitcoms especially it just distracts too much from the show itself.

As for BBT, when the youtube vids of the laughter removed is much funnier than the standard episode itself, that's how you know there's something wrong.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Calico Heart posted:

I remember a few years back I read a blog post from someone in the audience for both The Big Bang Theory and poo poo my Dad says. He said that the laughing is real, but they selectively pick people to be in the audience who are easy to make laugh. Not sure how verifiable this is, but it makes sense in theory.

There's a lot of money in selling seats for shows if they are popular of course, my uncle when to a recording of the Cosby show back in the 80s and even then there was a gift shop set up to sell merchandise (got a badge from it).
I can see them placing 'professional' laughers to encourage the rest to join in, but I wouldn't say the whole audience is full of them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

These have to be a tax dodge loss loophole, no other reason for it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dr Scoofles posted:

If we're plumbing the depths of lovely adverts on TV then I want to nominate that Heating Logic boiler ad with Carol McGiffin from Loose Women. She waves a knife about and drones her lines like a drugged zombie - I think spending money to service old boilers is maaaaaaadness!

Anything with Carol McGiffin is dire. Can't believe she was married to Chris Evans at his height of fame back in the 90s.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NwahNerevar posted:

Gavin and Stacey did unleash James Corden onto the world though. That was uncalled for.

He is merely the new John Thomson (Fast Show), the forever slightly chubby sidekick.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Radio 6 in the mornings, 5 in the afternoon, 1 on Friday evening/Sat morning.
Radio 4 whenever there is something good on.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

HERAK posted:

2.4 Children was mostly normal if memory serves. The wackiness was from the neighbours i think.

Nah, the wackiness came almost always from the father.
The only neighbour was Rhona, the man hungry stereotype.

Don't think there ever has been a 'normal nuclear 50s family' sitcom here in the UK since Alf Garnett or similar shows in the 1960s.
You are hard pressed finding any kids really in UK sitcoms in the 70s/80s, the 'kid' roles were usually morphed into adults like the two lodgers in Rising Damp.

My Family would probably be the only comparable one, as theres two kids, the 'wackiness' came from their house guest staying with them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jawidar posted:

:sigh: I can remember when Horizon looked like this.

Hell yeah. And even back then it's dumbed down to poo poo to explain it.

Give it another decade and it will be 'Man kicked in balls' documentaries.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

WastedJoker posted:

Yet another transport doc based in London on BBC.

So loving London-centric.

For most of the south of Ireland the BBC channel on SKY shows loving London traffic reports in the morning.
It's bizarre to be in County Cork and getting warnings about the M25.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

onoflalks posted:

Enough said

Arthur Daley springs to mind when watching that.

'Ave I got a deal for you my son. Set of watches, straight from the mecca of watch countries. Belgium. For you, twenty knicker.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Absolutely is loving amazing, I would recommend it. Got the DVD box set a while ago, its amazing these guys were pioneers in the 90s redefinition of comedy.

Don and George are a personal favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Milton's Radio Show programs on the other hand.

Lets say they are the radio equivalent of Miranda.

Edit: And I disagree. Mock the Week should be that, mocking. Frankie Boyle set the standard high and made himself a household name with his humor, which was needed to mock the politicans and celebs that are the main stories. Milton has his place, but not on MtW imo.

It's funnier to have C.S.M.C turn into 'Cameron Sucks Merkle's Cock' than Milton's 'Cameron Sees Magic Cows' monkey cheese blandness.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 21, 2013