Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I'm sure that this series of QI has been particularly grusome. That 'Humans' episode from a few weeks back where they discussed trepanning, amongst other queezed subjects was pretty bad, and tonights episode is entitled HORRIBLE. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I was watching and playing along too (because Fallout New Vegas hasn't arrived yet and what else is there to do on a Friday night?) It is a lot of fun. Davina takes a bit of flak sometimes but you have to admit she does handle a live show very well. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been for those two annoying prats at the end though. I like to think the technical glitch (when their microphones stopped working) was a deliberate protest from one of the sound engineers at their non-stop babbling. Couldn't they get enough 'real' contestants?

I thought that they were alright- charming and much less annoying than most of the reality show rejects that are usually on it. It really annoyed me that davina hurries them so much into picking a subject, and then they ramp up the time wasting with tension building pauses and phone calls from close family to say gently caress all.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

keveh posted:

Nobody talking about The Trip?

I thought that it was pretty good for a series opener, the impressions went on for a little bit too long though. Definitely enough to make me want to carry on watching it.

Felt pretty much exactly the same. The impressions were funny, but seemed like they were on that scene for over half the shows length (Rob Brydon's Michael Caine was much better than Coogans). I'll definitely be tuning in for the next one.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Tim Westwood hosting buzzcocks!

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
BBC 4 started showing Spiral series 3. Read up about it and it sounds like a show I'd really enjoy, but would it be important to see the first two series before this one?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Cheers guys!

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

justcola posted:

Apparently there are only 236 episodes of Friends. E4 have been showing at least 2 a day as far back as say the first season of big brother (2000). So they'll have shown the complete series of Friends about 33 times over the last decade. I wonder how much this will affect the next generation. I'll be there for you because you're there for me to.

I realised the other day that "I'll be there for you" is probably the bit of popular music I've heard the most times in my life.

e: I'm fairly sure they're showing 3 a day on e4 at the moment. And there's a separate "strand" being played on Channel 4 in the mornings, and another one on T4 on weekends.

atomic gog fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 4, 2011

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

BeeZee142 posted:

And really loving depressing when you go back and read/watch it. But it was totally awesome.

Absolutely. I watched it a few years ago and it's just brutal: animals getting killed off every other episode. Here's part of a synopsis for an episode in the first series:

quote:

The animals have reached the fence, but are unable to continue resting due to the slight shower of rain. Toad, however, finds a dry, warm barn for the animals to sleep in and the entire group leaves the army land and enters the nearby farm land. Fox is, at first, worried about their close proximately to humans but Kestrel, Owl and Mr. Pheasant all vow to take turns watching-out for people from a plum tree. However, that night when Pheasant is too busy sleeping, his wife volunteers to take his job, only to result in her being seen and shot by the Farmer (with his dog, Bruno).

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Just watched the last 10 minutes of Red or Black, and it's bloody awful. Around 7 minutes of sob stories by some contestants and now Leona Lewis singing a song. She's going to pick a briefcase at random, the inside will either be red or black.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
It's beyond parody. "More people picking RED at home, which is interesting."

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Michael Clayton, the George Clooney film is on iPlayer for another week or so.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Surely it's something more disturbing than that, like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93Q_RruQJY

Bloody hell, that's crazy.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Just in case anyone was unaware, Frozen Planet (the new David Attenborough series) starts tonight on BBC 1 at 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObov-E540o

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

That was one of the worst tv shows I've ever seen. And I watched Fferm Ffactor.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Finished watching State of Play after seeing it mentioned in here a few pages back. Really enjoyed it, any similar political/journalism/espionage thrillers out there that anyone can recommend?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Cheers, will have a look at all of those.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I went to the one in Pembrokeshire when I was younger. I remember some crap computer games, and swinging over a tiny gap on a rope. It was a big disappointment, I wanted to do the proper Crystal Maze stuff!

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
The jingle for the 'Priest Chatback' hotline number from Father Ted gets stuck in my head every now and then: 0898 333 201

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGcE7IvCTs

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

onoflalks posted:

(11:05 if you're in Scotland because we've got Gary: Tank Commander to watch first)

11.05 in Wales too, we had Vicar Academy to watch first.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Bloodbath posted:

And apparently it has voiceovers by Richard Ayoade, Kayvan Novak and Daisy Haggard, who are all quite decent. Is it all as poo poo as that clip?

That's probably funnier than anything that happened in the one episode I watched. It's so bad.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Comfy Chairs posted:

What exactly makes all these Scandinavian crime dramas so good? I've never watched any, but seen people rave about them without really getting a sense of what it is that makes them so compelling. And now there's so many of the bloody things I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to watching them.

What would be a good starter?

Wallander is probably the best place to start. There's a few different versions, my favourite is the Swedish language TV series starring Krister Henriksson as Detective Wallander. There are 26 90-minute films, new stories, not based on the Wallander novels.

Here's the first 7 episodes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wallander-Collected-Films-1-7-DVD/dp/B004KKPQN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366447045&sr=8-1&keywords=wallander

There are also Swedish and English language adaptations of the novels. I think the Swedish ones with Rolf Lassgard are a bit dated (they started in the mid-90s). The English language ones star Kenneth Brannagh, and they're great.

I'd also check out the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, which is fantastic. And the Danish language The Killing. It's very good, but the first series is a bit annoying because it's too long. For the second and third series they went down from 20 to 10 episodes, and it's much better for it.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
There's a Welsh detective series inspired by all the Scandi-noir starting soon: Y Gwyll / Hinterland. They filmed it bilingually, it'll air on S4C in Welsh in a few weeks, and will be on BBC4 in English in the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3_qHN1wXG4

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/jul/30/hinterland-tv-noir-wales

"people like them, let's make more of them."

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Has anyone been watching Y Gwyll? Ridiculously excited to watch it, but seems like they took the 1st 2 episodes down already. I wish it had got more press in the sarf about when it was actually starting.

Yes I have, it's absolutely fantastic!

Anyone into those nordic crime dramas should check it out. There's 4 stories, split into 8 episodes. Theyve taken the first two-parter down from S4C clic, but you dont need to have watched it to understand whats going on. Episode 3, the first part of the second story, is up on the s4c website for 2 more days.

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=516193417

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Shitpeas/Clunk bits sometimes hit the nail on the head, but only after five minutes of waffle. But in this case, I really didn't see the purpose of the Broadchurch and Breaking Bad Segments.

Are there breaking bad spoilers in 2013 wipe?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Hinterland starts on BBC4 tonight at 9. It's like Wallander, but in Aberystwyth. Have a look if you like those scandi crime dramas.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I agree with the big taff man, start with the first series of Im Alan Partridge.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Not strictly British TV but if you have sky, all six episodes of The Jinx are available on their catch up service. The Jinx is the film about the rich American Robert Durst, who definitely killed one person and maybe killed some more people, idk. It's pretty good.

Its brilliant. Dont look up anything about it, just watch it.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

goatface posted:

Chris Evans, Danny Baker and Gazza.

Jimmy five bellies as the new stig

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

CherryCat posted:

This weeks most hated advert is weetabix drink breakfast suit wanker, I'm pretty sure he's putting on that voice.

Is it worse than the advert with the dog saying "book"?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Taskmaster on dave is really funny, check it out! Its on the "uktv play" app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKEWWVjyfuw

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I hope they do a second series of taskmaster, it's brilliant

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Theres a uktv app "uktv play" that has dave. Maybe theyre up on there a bit longer.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

cloudchamber posted:

What makes the opening episode more boring than the others?

There's no dancing in it!

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Big taskmaster fan here, really enjoyed the new one. Joe Wilkinson and the potato chucking task was amazing :newlol:

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Konsek posted:

Prince Among Men was Chris Barrie as a retired footballer. It was bad.

Lol did alan partridge pitch this one

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Taskmaster series 3 has started on Dave, its on the uktv app too. The first episode is fantastic. Has better comedians than series two imo (Al murray, rob beckett, sara pascoe, paul chowdry, dave gorman) that one fell a bit flat, for me.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
They arent as famous as the series 2 lot, but they werent very funny, and the tasks were bad.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Theres a crystal maze special on channel 4 at 9 tonight. Stephen merchant is hosting it and hes bald

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Paul choudhry was the funniest one on this series imo. Havent seen him much before, is his standup good??

Really enjoyed that series of taskmaster. Theyre doing a 4th and 5th series that will have 8 episodes each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Julio Cruz posted:

Some of the mysteries were OK, but David Renwick's attempts at comedy were all absolutely terrible. Remember the episode with the guy who was pretending to be blind so he could feel up women? Oh, how we laughed.

That was lester freamon from the wire iirc!

Jonathan creek was great. the ones with caroline quentin are still fantastic. It got a bit poo poo when he got a proper job and left the windmill.