Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Phil Mitchell: Mad for Crack.

I hope he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
So, if they've blown their load on a cracked-up explosion NOW, in early September, what the hell is in store for the always cheerful Eastenders festive season?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
They should make an Eastenders channel. Use the dead daytime space on BBC3 to broadcast the series, in its entirety from the start, 6 hours a day every day for however many years it takes to get through it all.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Carpet posted:

The dead daytime space on BBC3/4 is used for the CBBC/CBeebies channels. :ssh:

Until they start repeating Jackanory, there IS no CBBC channel in my mind

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

justcola posted:

http://community.livejournal.com/adam_and_joe/

If you trawl back far enough I think somebody uploaded about 3 years worth of stuff somewhere.

I'm really disliking how shows are getting cut down more and more, episode wise. It seems to be getting a little more common to have 3-4 episode runs rather than the slightly pezzy 6 episodes we're used to. I once heard/read somewhere that most shows lose steam by the third series, but in the UK that's only 12 episodes whilst that's barely a season in the U.S. I don't know. On the one hand we get 2 episodes of Sherlock next year whilst things like Shameless and Big Brother seem to go on for half a year.

It helps to think of shows like Sherlock as a set of 3 TV movies rather than episodes in the traditional sense. After all, they're 90 minutes a pop, more or less standalone, and have pretty good production values.

You can't really compare it to a gameshow or a comedy-drama. Yeah I guess more would be nice, but I'd far rather a few excellent memorable episodes than months worth of mediocre filler.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

thehustler posted:

Game On was loving top entertainment in my secondary-school-attending years.

Are we all exactly the same age in this thread?

But yeah, I liked it fine, definitely not the worst sitcom. I liked the episode where it's just Matt at home finding more and more elaborate ways to combat his crippling boredom. Also Skunk Pussies.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I think we can all agree though: At least it's not Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Try living in Wales. S4C.

OK so these days digital carries both, but before that, you wanted primetime C4 content? enjoy staying up till 2am 2 weeks later because the 8 o'clock slot was taken up by an episode of a welsh language soap opera.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
MMAAAAASSSSSSSSSTTEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

CCCCHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFF

It makes me hungry. They may be professionals, but some of them aren't half poo poo.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaCLtEAy2E

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

justcola posted:

A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. You can tell he's quite passionate about the subject with the added bonus that most of the surviving actors from films like Frankenstein are now both scarier and less realistic looking than the monsters in the movies they were in.

I've been enjoying this too. Last ep on monday, though it seems like it'll linger on the iplayer for a while. I rather like documentaries made by known celebrities when they REALLY know the subject and have a genuine warmth and enthusiasm. Joannah Lumley should do something about the history of the Gurkahs.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
ffff, what is the music playing on Masterchef right now? for iplayer folk, the last pro chef in tonights final, "the Dining Room", about 44-45 minutes in. Sounds like it might be Philip Glass? or maybe not? lots of arpeggios, repeated motifs, quite minimalist

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Irisi posted:

It's definitely Pruit Igoe (also used to fantastic effect in the recent Watchmen movie)

Nice to hear a bit of Philip Glass on mainstream telly.

you guys are awesome

You don't know if this was used in Candyman do you? That's what made me think it was Glass in the first place. If not this piece, his candyman score definitely has some similarities.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
ugh

I watched like 10 minutes of "secrets of the universe". Who is this aimed at? The apparent target audience was about 13, but this was on primetime BBC3. I'm all for bringing science to the public, but you don't have to dumb it down THAT much, it's insulting. More Solar System and First Life, less of this twaddle.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Darth Goon posted:

His Cat voice isn't quite right, but his impressions of the rest of the cast are completely uncanny. I really highly recommend listening to that audio book, I listened to it a month or so ago and it was just condensed Red Dwarf brilliance. It really fills out the backstory a lot as well, and since it's not on screen they were able to let their imagination run wild.

there's some wonderful stuff in the books (the two proper books, none of that continutaiton bullshit).

I absolutely loved the extended Me^2 (second Rimmer hologram) stuff, the overall feel is very similar to the show, but because it has additional breathing room it's just allowed to blossom, and they fit it in with the rest of the plot really well. Similarly the much longer Better then Life sequence, where it's a major part of the plot not just a series of throwaway gags. The explanation of the purpose of the Nova 5 is awesome. There's also stuff that never made it into the show at all. I thought Garbage-world was deeply touching, I couldn't help but think of it when I saw Wall-E years and years later. Almost every sequence in the novels can be directly or indirectly related to an episode of the TV show, but it's expended and restructured in such a way that it really works as a book

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
what annoys me is the groups with 5 or 6 correct answers. I know this is deliberate, but it's still very annoying, since it's possible to know one or two groups, get them "right" and still get no points because some of the right answers were meant to be in other groups which you didn't know. It makes it more of an all or nothing game

EDIT: yay, my first ten pointer, wall #5

have to say, don't think many Americans would have gotten the Wombles

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 18, 2010

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gasmask posted:

Anyone else been finding iPlayer to be increasingly unreliable? I've never had a problem with 4OD but iPlayer seems to stutter and overlap all the time these days.

Granted, I'm trying to watch the Apprentice which is probably one of the most in demand shows, but it's really annoying. :mad:

Yes. The annoying thing it does with me is play for a bit, then partially freeze, then the sound goes super loud and can't be turned off, then the sound starts playing AGAIN in the background, from the point at which it screwed up, and the picture freezes and starts up again at random

hopefully it's some big code switchover or something and will be ironed out soon

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I feel I can forgive Miranda. It's not FOR us. We are not the target audience. Lets be honest, we as an audience are pretty well served with sarcastic, mean spirited and otherwise unpleasent sitcoms (Peep Show, Alan Partridge, The office, any of the "no laugh track" ilk), as well as surreal or nerdy stuff like The IT crowd.

There is space in the schedules for unchallenging, comfortable stuff a 9 year old can enjoy.

I also quite like Miranda Hart

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DaWolfey posted:

Second place is one that only lasted one series called Action which is such a shame because it was loving hilarious, if you've never heard of it I strongly suggest you give it a watch.

That was the one with the producer making the terrible film right? I remember quite liking that, though it's been an age since I saw it. Is it on DVD?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dicky B posted:

This "all he does is remind you about things" poo poo that I keep hearing is also stupid poo poo that seems to be propogated (in jest) by less successful comedians and then proliferated by people who haven't even seen his standup. It's like saying all Stewart Lee does is talk slowly and repeat the same thing over and over.

But other less successful comedians* DO say this about Stewart Lee

*Richard Herring

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Flatscan posted:

And I think the idiots parroting the received wisdom that Seinfeld is the progenitor of all modern comedy should realise that Britain has a tradition of black comedy which pre-dates weak poo poo like Seinfeld by decades, if not centuries.
I realise that young people today have a hard time believing anything of note actually happened before their birth, but seriously, there's a reason Seinfeld never took off over here.

I'd say Father Ted owes more to stuff like Blackadder than to Seinfeld anyway.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Something about Seinfeld and a Punch and Judy show or something from Ancient Greece, whichever makes me cooler.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

fuf posted:

Poor Robert Webb. It must suck being the less successful (less funny?) half of a double act.

Please let him be on the telly

He just wants to be on the telly!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LE0N posted:

Webb is probably the funnier in all honestly i loathe David mitchell's routine that he does on every single loving panel show which is say nothing for 25 minutes of the 30 then make some rant about, footballers or musicians that he doesnt "get" and then cheekily looks to the camera and calls them "...fuckers" or something like that.

Tee hee he is old fashioned and likes to get on his soapbox, its ok i guess but the 5 minutes of forced audience applause he gets makes me want to turn the channel right away that sit through it.

He's usually pretty drat good on QI. Contributes a LOT of obscure knowledge, points out amusing logical flaws in things and, while definitely still a "ranty" persona, doesn't come across badly at all.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
So does anyone else think the new Scary Asian Guy on Eastenders looks a bit like a brown Peter Serafinowicz?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

keveh posted:

To add to the annoyance, he was easily the best stand up I have ever seen.

I think Peter Kay has given him nightmares about working on TV.

The GoFasterStripe guys should approach him about recording a show for DVD, they did it for a bunch of Richard Herring stuff that worked really well as well as one Stewart Lee show that was presumably a bit much for HMV (anyone who's seen it will know why)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

eating only apples posted:

It's loving batshit. Goddamn highlight of my day. :allears:

Ah man, I remember back in the day.

G1 hollyoaks. The first cast from 1995 (I was 13 when it started OK?). Always had a bit of a soft spot for the completely mental Lucy/Rob storyline:

wikipedia posted:

After being involved in the accident that caused the death of Dermot, Lucy soon wised up to Rob, and even shopped him to the police. It was Lucy and Kurt’s role in seeking revenge that caused Rob to be thrown off a car park roof by his drug dealers. Unbeknown to Lucy and Kurt, this marked the beginning of his vendetta against the Bensons – an obsession that would continue throughout his life. With Rob well and truly out of her life, though, Lucy returned to normal. She started a band with Carol Groves and Bazz FM and was happy that things seemed to be going her way.

But Lucy's happiness in Hollyoaks was short lived. Her life was turned upside down when her younger brother Ollie was killed in a car crash. Lucy blamed herself for the accident, as she encouraged Kurt to chase after him. Lucy found it difficult to get over Ollie’s death, and ended up turning to Rob for support. He offered Lucy some tranquillisers to get her through difficult times. Once she was well and truly hooked on to them, Rob upped the dosage to heroin and so began a downward spiral that would eventually put Lucy in coma. As Lucy finally weaned herself off heroin, she attempted to piece her life back together.

However, Rob Hawthorne was to cause further trouble when he trapped Lucy, Lewis Richardson, Ruth Osborne and Tony Hutchinson in a watertank. They managed to free themselves, but afterwards Lucy lived in constant fear of Rob and what he may do next. She was finally freed from this worry, when Rob died as he tried to set fire to Finn’s bus on the eve of the new Millennium. Lucy was both excited and terrified at the prospect of a life without Rob, and began to realise that her fear of him had been holding her back.

That rather dry summary fails to capture how completely batshit the entire plot was, with Rob being portrayed as essentially a psychotic killer, turning the entire thing into a kind of silence of the lambs thriller for episodes at a time.

The Lewis/Ruth saga which culmintaed with him beating her half to death while on a massive alcohol fueled bender then trying to kill himself with paracetamol, failing, changing his mind then dying anyway of slow painful liver failure from the pills was also a HOOT.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Akuma posted:

So Warren is the guy that stabbed the other dude in the gut (visibly) and threw his body in the fire? That was pretty full-on for tea time viewing.

They sometimes do late night specials. Essentially it's the same total madness, but with added sex and violence.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

The funniest thing was the helpline voice over guy at the end saying 'if you have been affected by incest and family breakdown and finding out your brother is actually your cousin please call our help line for free confidential advice'. I bet it was just a shortcut to the Jeremy Kyle show line

Oh man, I LOVE that British soaps have a special helpline at the end of particularly nasty episodes. "If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in tonight's Eastenders, please call 0800 123 456 for free confidential advice".

Sure it's usually after an episode about something legitimately nasty and widespread like suicide or mental illness or domestic abuse or whatever, but sometimes you wonder if there's someone at home going "poo poo, I DID get raped, kill my rapist then have my husband fall off a roof to his death while running from the police, better call that number!"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Akuma posted:

Sure but this was at 6:45.

Haha, for reals? that's awesome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Good grief, does American TV just go into complete hibernation from early December to mid January? all the threads for my US shows are talking about breaks and hiatuses and waiting ages for the next ep.

Meanwhile, PROPER telly (...Eastenders) is just starting the slow painful crawl up the ramp of pain and misery ready for the traditional Christmas bellowing fest.

Anyone wanna bet on what the main Xmas storylines are going to be this year in Londons favourite slum? I've heard the main one is Stacy Slater based, presumably either involving Jenine finally tipping over from borderline to completely psychotic and killing a baby or some kind of stunning confession about that murder she done that one time. Apparently there's something coming up involving stolen babies involving Kat and Ronnie, because we all know women just go mad when there's babies involved, but that might be after Christmas. Also seems to be some kind of Masood based explosion on the horizon involving abortive affairs, wife burnings and possibly the Gay. Not sure how you do messy Christmas drama with a Muslim family, but if anyone can find a way to first make the day important to them and them have it come crashing down around their ears, it's good old Eastenders. Maybe they'll save that one for new years.

It's not QUITE as batshit as a good Hollyoaks plot, but it can get pretty close.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Padje posted:

He was in Emmerdale for a while, and if memory serves his name was Lee in it too, thus making him, in my eyes, the same character. I've always wanted more soap character transplants. Matt Musgrove left Brookside and turned up later in Hollyoaks as the same character with the exact same name, even though they never really had much for him to do (a shame too, because he was incredible in Brookie, selling stolen gravel over the internet.) Jimmy Corkhill would've been a good choice to join Eastenders.

Brookside and Hollyoaks were kinda the same universe though, being that both belonged to Phil Redmond

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Brokyn posted:

Sitcoms are usually recorded weeks, if not months, in advance.

Off topic, but I LOVE Drop the Dead Donkey, the only example I know of of the topical sitcom. It was set in a newsroom and featured up to the second stories based on the previous weeks news. I don't know if it was largely written in advance and the topical jokes spliced into the script or if it was literally put together wholecloth in a week

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

wickles posted:

If you haven't seen his new DVD - Stewart Lee: If You Prefer A Milder Comedian Please Ask For One and are a Lee fan you're in for a treat! Can't wait for his new BBC series next year either.

That's the one with pear cider (made with 100% real pear(s)) right? Saw that one live, it was loving stunning.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Eastenders did a live episode last year. Other than one mildly flubbed line, it worked extremely well

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've invented a history comedy panel show in my head and both team captains are Rory McGrath and Tony Robinson (Terry Pratchett also as one of the rotating team members) but I cannot figuire out a good host for it.

Marcus Brigstock?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Royality posted:

Richard Herring did History at Oxford!

And he got a 2:1

He's not that great on panel shows though. I think he needs to really know his co-presenters and not have to self censor to really give his best.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If Janine hasn't killed a baby by new years, Eastenders has dropped the ball

Also, the fertility rate in Albert Square seems to rival most African countries at the moment

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I thought Dirk Gently was meant to be fat.

Still looks fun, will check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Enjoyed Dirk Gently, mildly disappointed they didn't use the marvellously convoluted plot from the book but that would have had to be at LEAST a 3 part miniseries to actually cover everything. What they did use worked well enough though.