Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

I was hoping that since Sky Atlantic has HBO's back catalogue now that they would decide to reshow deadwood from the beginning down the line.
Everyone needs to have seen that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Catzilla posted:

Speaking of Brooker, it seems that How TV Ruined My Life is not on this week :(

This is correct, the next new episode is March 1 and will be called Progress

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Metrication posted:

It is. My friend's dad was executive producer for the special in 2009 (he'll probably be doing the same for the next).

Also the Episodes finale was actually very good.

Episodes really prooved to be an excellent show. Glad I stuck with it beyond the slow start.

Also I know I will probably come off sounding like a massive oval office, I am honestly just curious about this, but did you get the vibe from your friend's dad that everybody involved genuinely believed that the Back to Earth special was as good as Red Dwarf in its heyday? Don't get me wrong here, I didn't hate it as vehemently as some people here have stated, but it certainly didn't compare to what it once was.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

God Jimmy Carr is increasingly becoming the weakest link for 10 o'clock live.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Some Strange Flea posted:

Jimmy Carr is the new Lauren Laverne and Jimmy Carr.

I like to think that he realises how bad he is in comparison when he sees how much more laughs and general reaction Brooker and Mitchell get out of the live audience than he can muster up!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Metrication posted:

Oh absolutely. The guy from the Telegraph (?) did well at making her look like a lunatic.

They should have just let her talk more, she did a fantastic job of absolutely discrediting herself.
When she asserted that "intervention" would result in the "blanket bombing" of the Libyan people, I rolled my eyes so much it hurt.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

I might be a minority amongst UK goons here as a gay goon who interned in Germany, but I am absolutely loving Christoper and his kind.

At the start I couldn't shake Matt Smith's Doctor from my mind, but about 20mins in I was completely engrossed once I got engaged with the story and forgot all about Doctor Who.

Also his street sweeping boyfriend Heinz is absolutely gorgeous and the ditzy English wannabe actress is such a good character too. I loved her saying "oh golly" to being served up pigs lungs, how quintessentially 1930's British.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

le chat posted:

ah, another week, another anti-war campaigner kin calls an idiot. Did you cheer as they announced we were going to Libya during last weeks show, like the audience? It just seems the idea that people don't like war offends you

They seem to go out of their way to pick anti-war campaigners that ARE idiots.
The war on want girl last night wasn't terrible, and was unable to hold a coherent argument. It was obvious that she was torn over realising that the Libyan intervention saved Benghazi from a bad fate, but at the same time trying to keep up an anti-war stance. She kept saying there should have been an alternative to military intervention which is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but not one person pressed her what viable alternatives existed.
Also the blonde one from a few weeks ago was the perfect idiot, the other panelists were just able to sit there and watch her embarrass herself, regardless of whether or not your unnecessarily harsh and cunty personal attack on Kin holds any weight !

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

I don't recall the show mentioning he was gay either.

Kid was a textbook self hating gay, trying to run away from it all and ending up in the worst place possible, I felt really bad for him to have lost his way so badly and ended up in the company of these poisonous people.
Head Phelps bitch whose name I've forgotten all but called him a human being when she kept referring to him coming all the way from San Francisco

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

How many episodes are left of Ten O'clock live?

One more, it's a 15 episode run

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

I've been out of the UK for 3 years now, what's all this I'm reading about Justin Lee Collins being an evil mean who abused his partner in really psychologically disturbing and hosed up ways, such as making her write down every single sexual encounter she ever had so that he could use it against her, and if she didn't do it, he said he would leave her.
When did all this come to light?
This is the article I read:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/26/justin-lee-collins-accused-violence-cruelty-girlfriend?newsfeed=true

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Giedroyc posted:

He's very, very lucky about the timing of his trial. The prick.

I posted about this in the same thread a couple of weeks ago when I heard about this asking for more information about it because I don't live in the UK anymore and it seemed like a very shocking story to me and a few people here snapped that it was innocent until proven guilty. While I agree with that sentiment in all situations, the whole story has left me quite surprised at how much of a shitheel he actually is given how drat likeable the general public considered him to be on television a few years ago. There goes some of the very last of my faith in humanity...

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I can't be the only one who finds this Jam'ie tat on BBC3 abhorrent, right?
I mean, I know almost nothing BBC3 does is particularily good, but this just seems really offensive. Also really racist.

I'm a Brit turned Aussie permanent resident and my partner gets a kick out of it as he says it strongly reminds him of some private school girls he knew from his high school time. I usually leave him to it when he insists on watching.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

I was also on Two Tribes [the short lived Richard Osman quiz show] and he is really cool but he smells kinda funny and has an awful handshake.

fishy? BO? too much cologne? day old spunk? You've gone and made me curious to know more!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

I think Jo Whiley is poo poo.

I never really moved beyond apathetic in either direction.

I was back in the country for the first time in 5 years at the end of June and heard a bit of the mandatorily co-hosted Drivetime in Dad's car and it was very strange. As if two separate radio shows were being broadcast simultaneously taking 30 second turns at who gets to speak.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

said friend of friend was able to make sure that LOTS of his friends won shirts...

When I was 19 my uni house mate "won" the xmas hamper from the offies I was working at. Morning shift while I am working there alone, head office phones up and just tell me to pick an entry from the tub. I question this and can audibly hear the eye roll down the phone.

For CCTV purposes I pick one out, but read out my mates details from memory instead. I don't feel any guilt about it whatsoever, gently caress corporations and their lackluster comp QA. We split the bounty and had a very merry xmas.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Watched Brooker's non-wipe on Netflix.

Turned this on to watch with the husband last night and turned it off around the 40% mark.

I can't stand poo poo impressions of the Queen, always find them to be completely insufferable cringepain to watch and this was no exception.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Akuma posted:

Anybody have any impressions of season 2? Is it as good? Is it still worthwhile? Does it keep up the thing of respecting the audience's intelligence? That's the crux of it for me.

There ain't no season 2 here and there never was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

tsob posted:

It's a real shame, because seasons 1 and 2 are the best parts of Red Dwarf and I'd love to have seen more in that vein, as well as the story play out. The various totally not alien aliens they introduced like the GELF, killer androids etc. are fine and I still enjoyed the next few seasons but the first two seasons really stand out.

This may not be immediately obvious, but I really quite liked the stupid GELF.