Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Remember when that show was about a frustrated middle aged dentist having a mid life crisis?

I saw the one about the family planning to drive from South Africa to Egypt and they got about 2-3 days of actual travelling in before the absolutely stupidity of their plan set in when they flipped their jeep. They spent a few weeks at a school, had an awkward encounter with some tribal folk and then broken down again. After that they said gently caress it and quit. It seems like grand failure is part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Magic Mango posted:

I just caught the end of Eastenders before QI, why on Earth would you get back inside a stopped car on a level crossing? :ughh:

The best thing about Eastenders is the crescendo leading up to Christmas. We've got two babies due, a few departures due and a 13 year old coming out of prison with the fantastic leadup line of "we won't even recognize him when he gets out". Which won't be a huge surprise as an entirely new actor has been bought in. poo poo's going to get real in Walford at Christmas! And it'll be in HD from Christmas Day so I'm going to presume they'll blow something up.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Gentlemen please we all know what the superior show is about mid teenage life.

Obviously Grange Hill is the winner.

Byker Grove man. Also Coppers on C4 was a depressing insight into life at "custody suites".

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

If Janine hasn't killed a baby by new years, Eastenders has dropped the ball

Also, the fertility rate in Albert Square seems to rival most African countries at the moment

This year promises to be an epic clusterfuck, they have so many people about to ruin their lives.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Holy poo poo, Eastenders tried to do a green screen scene on the tube tonight and god drat did it look like dogshit. If you need a laugh, take a look at it, it's in the first five minutes and it's just appalling.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Cool, I saw an ad for it a while ago and went nuts because I'm a big old H.G. Wells hag. Didn't know Gatiss was writing it too!

Also, your regular Ashes to Ashes viewing update. Up to about the middle of s3. I've been really forcing myself to stay invested in this show, though this cold open comes very close to making it all worthwhile. Actually, this series seems to finally be more in gear, there's a marked improvement over the first two. Probably because they FINALLY started with the actual plot and some real intrigue. It's like for the first two series they were completely treading water. At the very end of s2 they brought up some interesting ideas that promised to take the show off the deep end, in a good way (Somers(es)), but instead of following through they just kind of dropped it and scattered into a million different abortive, nonsensical directions. But now we're FINALLY developing the main characters and FINALLY asking some of the plot questions that needed to be asked, like, two series ago. Why has it taken this long? At least if I ever re-watch the show, I can skip straight to series 3.

Oh yeah, and the coat! :cry:

S3 only builds in quality and tension, it's a great ride.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
loving hell, got around to watching Eastenders. That was pretty heavy and Shane Ritchie is oddly enough a pretty good actor. What the hell.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus they really need to drop the baby-swap storyline in Eastenders, it's just far too cruel and unpleasant. I mean I know they've got a fairly big rear end lead time on the show but it'll be interesting to see how quickly they move away from it. And who the hell decided to put the Big Fat Quiz of the year on Monday?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh man, watching Big Fat Quiz of the Year right now and it really is not so good. The lineup is far more irritating this year and it just seems riddled with very predictable stuff. Shame.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So things look like they're calming down at Eastenders after all the scanda....

Oh wait. Whitney is getting sex exploited for Comic Relief. Wearing a Red Nose was apparently not going far enough.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a296873/eastenders-confirms-sex-exploitation-plot.html

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Heston fixing up the hospital food was pretty good. Although I'm not sure why food for kids automatically has to be super wacky and gross, not sure if my ten year old self would have been impressed. Next week with the attempt to spruce up the food at Cineworld seems even less well thought out, if you're going to see a film and you are focusing on what you're eating then you've hosed up already.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Junior Doctors on BBC 3 is an odd little show. The narration seems to be aimed at 10 year olds (respiratory wards are for people with breathing trouble!) and the doctors themselves seem really far out of their depth. There's also a healthy dose of BBC3's "young" production style, with endless snippets of songs punctuating the action. What's more depressing is the overall state of the hospital they're at. It looks like something out of the mid 90's, with so much paperwork and so little implementation of electronic patient records and everything looks every so slightly banged up. It's not remotely fair to compare it to some of hospitals over here in the States due to the different sources of funding etc, but drat.

On a slightly different topic, has anyone else been watching "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day"? Firstly, it's damned entertaining, but you also learn a good bit about Roman building techniques on the side.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 24, 2011

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
It's gimmicky, some of the shows haven't exactly transfered well and some of the gaps are a bit painful, but I think this is one of the best things the BBC has ever done. The sheer fact that they're revealing the brutal inner realities of TV to so many viewers is pretty awesome. And we get to see David slowly lose his poo poo after being awake for so long (although christ he was good on Mastermind).

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

NaDy posted:

Just imagine if they axed eastenders and with that budget made some weekly HBO style quality dramas. One can dream.

For 30 million quid you'd get maybe ten episodes at HBO budgeting. Six episodes if you go nuts Rome style. And you run the risk of people not liking it (or making another Outcasts). For the same amount of cash they can crank out 200 episodes of Eastenders, throw in some social issues to cover the requirement to educate and enjoy the BARB numbers every week.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Zorba the Greek posted:

Watching Panorama on iPlayer now and my loving God.

I only heard bits of it on Five Live this morning and good loving god. Not sure if I can watch the whole program.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
If you want to realize that the entire education system in the UK is utterly hosed, feel free to check out "Classroom Secrets" that aired on BBC on Thursday. Apparently if you're a 9 year old in school you can now get taken out of class for a little private breakfast if you say you're hungry.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Firing Cirrus posted:

What's the show like - is there much analysis as to why what's happening in the schools is happening? From your mention of breakfasts, I'm guessing that it has a bit of a nanny state / 'elf and safety gone mad slant, is that right? My partner and I saw the trailer for it but decided against watching the show because she's a primary school teacher and there's probably a million ways it could end up making her blood boil.

It's actually pretty reasonable and fair, the teachers come out in a good light with the exception of one incident involving the apparently the great idea of putting a disruptive student next to successful one. Guess how well that worked. I suppose the biggest shock was seeing how much had changed since my days in school only 15 years ago.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

shabutie posted:

It was even weirder for me because that was my actual primary school :aaaaa:

Holy poo poo that'd melt my head. Anything especially different that you noticed?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Flatscan posted:

The Trocadero?

That was it! Sega World was based there too wasn't it? Anyone remember Parallel 9? It was the off brand Summer BBC kids weekend morning show. It had the most absurdly overplanned fiction for a kids show ever, it was brilliant.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

Glad I wasn't the only person who noticed this. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of joke the number of times Neil's head was awkwardly cut off by the top of the frame.

I'm guessing the hyper compressed production schedule has something to do with that. It's a still a bit sad to hear about.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
In our house turning over during the credits of a movie or even a first run show is pretty much an insult. I mean even in an utterly average movie maybe the boom mic guy was just loving killing it every day.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh the seven year old did it

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Ark on BBC 1 right now feels like the most ill conceived project the BBC have put out in a while.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Eastenders just had the CPS fail to charge a rapist due to a lack of evidence. They really are timely with their storylines

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

Not far wrong actually, Amstrad were well known for producing cheap tat that broke after a very short time.

Their early Sky Boxes were loving shocking with the number of issues they had

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SEX BURRITO posted:

Robot Wars feels kinda weird now. Were the presenters always so insulting to the team members? The show seemed to be taking itself much more seriously.

The weirdly choppy editing style they have for the interviews doesn't help with that either. This week it seemed like the whole tone was completely off. The whole thing feels poorly thought out considering it's a resurrection of a relatively popular format from the editing to the camera work to the competition format.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

Celebrity Robot Wars is absolutely loving terrible so far. Apparently a fighting robot designed by a DJ isn't all that good at fighting, who knew.

This is the episode they chose to lead off with from the two as well. Can't imagine how poo poo the next one will be.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well on EastEnders Ben Mitchell is back and is now straight up involved with human trafficking

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

My daughter is just starting to graduate from CBeebies to CBBC which means I'm now catching some Horrible Histories. It's legit hilarious! I knew it had a reputation and gave them the platform to make Ghosts, but I'm surprised at how often I'm laughing at it (to the confusion of my 4 year old, who doesn't understand much of it at all).

I CONSUMED those books as a kid. When my niece gets a bit older I'll be introducing her to the show for sure.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

30 seasons late, we decided to start watching Pointless. I really want to know who these 100 people they’re asking the questions to, because it seems anything that happened in the last 20 years is a mystery to them but things from the 40s isn’t a problem. Are they going to old people’s homes or something?

Fairly sure it's pretty much straight vox pop style poo poo or online surveys and well I don't know if you've listened to the vox of the pop lately but eeeeeeeeesh.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tsietisin posted:

For me it was because I was a shift worker and it was something free to do in the middle of the day when everyone else was working.

Being off school sick and getting to watch Going for Gold was awesome.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
For the purposes of copyright in the UK I believe most films (foreign and domestic) are registered to a specific company. You'll see it in the end credits of movies all the time.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I've got the Going For Gold theme song stuck in my head now goddamn

I did a search to taunt you with some lyrics but holy poo poo Hans Zimmer had a hand in it's creation!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/22/hans-zimmer-soundcloud-music-contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Kemps: All Gold and All True feel like some of the more original comedy to have come out of the BBC in years. There's some great music references but also great absurd nonsense in there.

If the concept of Spandau: The Ballet makes you laugh then check it out.