Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: too soon I guess

Share your tasteless joke, you COWARD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

eating only apples posted:

Anyone watch Behind Her Eyes on Netflix? Stars Bono's daughter and several English people playing Scots. The ending is batshit and well worth a slow burn of a show.

I like that this review tells us literally something but also almost completely nothing about the show at all.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
That is such a lovely thing to do. I'm definitely stealing it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The Spaced DVD was pretty much on repeat during my and my friends teenage weekly weed and shroom binges, so it will forever hold a place in my heart.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
A friend of mine is relistening to the old Gervais and merchant xfm shows and he has said they've aged really badly. Merchant has a visceral hatred of the homeless, as well as fat people, and for several weeks there is a debate where Karl is arguing that there should be seperate toilets for gay men.

I think social attitudes have axtually progressed a lot in just a couple of decades, more so than we realise, so the comedy of our childhood is becoming as problematic as those in the seventies or eighties.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Maybe we're outliers, but my wife and I watch broadcast TV in the early evenings quite a lot.

This mainly because she's always too tired to watch the PRESTIGE DRAMAS that I want to watch during the week, so we end up with whatever's on 1,2,4, any of the 4 spin-offs, or Dave.

Masterchef's back tonight though, so that's us sorted for the next couple of months :D

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

thehustler posted:

When I saw that he was on the phone to the ITV board at lunchtime I knew he’d be gone by teatime. Felt pretty smug.

Presumably they had a chat, said “you should go” and then he quickly calls Brillo to get a job at Gammon Bastard News before going “okay, I will.”

Absolutely this. He'll treble his pay and be able to preach exclusively to a choir of people who won't be offended by his bullshit.

On that topic, I've been wondering about all these people going to work for commercial TV or radio stations (e.g. Simon Mayo) - how are these companies affording their massive salaries and how can they justify it? Scala, the station which pays Mayo, just announced their record-high listening figures at around 300k. Meanwhile Radio 2 has thirteen MILLION listeners.

Can the advertising revenues for such a small listenership really pay for multiple high-six figure salaries?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I love the Richard Osman episodes on the Richard Herring podcasts. He's just intimidatingly smart, and has an absolutely savage wit.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Weird that BBC1 only lost 6% of viewers considering it was airing the same thing as BBC2.

It does feel like all this performative grief is being done to appease a tiny handful of frothing right wing commentators, and no one else is even fussed.

HE'S NOT EVEN BLOOD!!!!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I wasn't aware of his contempt of the poor. Are there some examples someone can show me?

Love finding out the dark truth about people I like.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The only thing I care about is catching BENT COPPERS!!!

seriously though, it's a great show which depicts how actually 'a few bad apples' in the police force corrupts the entire barrel. Not everyone is evil or, on the take, but a culture of silence, cover up and denial means that the truly bent bastards can get away with it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh thank god, I thought I either have gotten too old or missed some layer of micro irony.

Lol my exact thought process. Although it could still be true...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
https://twitter.com/JCComposer/status/1391831377520250882?s=19

Perfect

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, there has literally never been a show which has been discussed so much in this thread, for so long. To the extent that I even kind of resent it, because this is now more or less the taskmaster thread.

I guess I should probably just watch it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I have now watched s1e1 of taskmaster. It is funny, and Tim key is amazing, but I feel really sorry for Roisin. She just seems uncomfortable, ashamed and embarrassed most of the time, and not in a fun way.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I haven't heard about that interview before, so looked it up. Can't find an unedited version, but this one seems to have the highlights :

https://youtu.be/G0J0jCzKmG0

I think the best part is when Shandling gets himself a coffee and doesn't offer one to Gervais. He is SO pissed off.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think people dislike Corden because his success and ego are so clearly disproportionate to his actual talent.

I find it annoying that someone with that much money and means can't just get it together and lose some weight, but it would probably be bad for his brand now if he did.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

stev posted:

Nah. You can dislike the guy without fat shaming.

I am a self hating fat dude :(

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, the first episode is really strong.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Annabel Pee posted:

Rewatching the whole of Would I Lie to You in the background from Season 1 to 15, Its a great little time capsule of UK comedy 10-15 years ago. As well as the awful fashion, and people who have passed since (tara palmer tomkinson, ronnie corbett are the last two I remember), I forgot how offensive humour was back then and how much we've progressed.

Frankie Boyle, who I now think of as kind of progressive is just completely in his shock humour phase with numerous jokes about women being fat, ugly, talentless. Even David Mitchell makes a few jokes like this which surprised me. Lee Mack makes homophobic comments any time there's a gay person on his team, basically just 'oooh watch it buddy' in a camp voice type thing whenever someone tries to touch him or whatever. Also general racist jokes about Polish, Chinese etc. and Omid Djalili and others playing into it and doing his pretending to be a terrorist act.

Also wild to see Jack Whitehall and Russel Howard as literal kids and even shitter than they are now.

It's actually nice to be able to see a show progress over that period and see that it can clearly still be just as funny once they stopped with the offensive jokes.

Good Post!

I wonder if this is why it's pretty difficult to find earlier seasons. It's my favourite panel show by far, but I'm glad I don't have to see that.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I find the fact that Netflix auto plays ads for the show you've left the cursor on so stressful that I often just don't bother.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
One of my most uncomfortable TV memories was when we had my (genuinely) senile grandparents round over Christmas. We had them basically plonked in front of the telly for most of the evening, and I guess a Little Britain special came on when we were out of the room. It featured one of those hilarious recurring scenes where one or both of them are blacked up, cross dressing and in fat suits, and the scene always culminates in them being fully naked.

Grandma and grandpa had some serious issues to discuss with us when we came back into the room.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, i kind of like king Gary. It's more of a sort of comforting easy watch than being like hilarious or edgy or challenging or anything.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Really awful, he was such a funny guy. Rip

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Gambrinus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's it! Well done both. That's been bugging me for years, on and off.

Youtube won't let me watch it as it's age restricted...

Just wait til you turn 18, then you'll know.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah but otoh he was dating a 16 year old when he was in his 30s, so I don't think he should really be given the benefit of the doubt.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Has anyone seen the movie? Just quickly googled it, and the reviews seem more or less what you'd expect for a British sitcom movie.

The pinnacle of which, of course, is still Alpha Papa.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It was also directed by mackenzie crook, so that makes a lot of sense.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Fatty posted:

You say recent, but that's been going on for at least a decade.

That's what recent means now. We're all old, op.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Having always been a bit of a Greg Davies sceptic, but then warming to him in Taskmaster, I finally got around to watching all of Man Down and holy poo poo I love it.

It's not perfect by any means, but it's so consistently surreal and laugh out loud funny that I can forgive its flaws. Also, the lady they got into replace Rik Mayall is amazing, and I have nothing but respect for Davies and the rest of the writers for being able to move on so strongly after Rik died.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think it suffers from most of the central cast actually not being that amusing (other than Nester), but I think most of the 'situations' and the one-off or side characters are brilliant.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

stev posted:

It's incredible that a show that was basically built on blackface, yellowface, disability-face and transface (I don't know if there's an actual term for the last two) jokes was so popular in this century. No one really expressed any opposition to it other than 'it's too crude for teenagers to watch'.

I think it came at a time when cringey and grossly offensive comedy was riding a big wave, and as a society we hadn't quite worked out how to discriminate between punching up and punching down, or even whether it mattered.

I think now that, within 'polite society' at least, we're punching down at least a little less. For now.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

I read both Matt and David's autobiographies fairly recently and it's clear which one of them is a) the actual funny one and b) not a total oval office.

Spoiler - It's Matt.

Why would you do this to yourself

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

Being involved in the world of professional comedy once upon a time means I read a lot of comedian's autobiographies. It's fun to read the lies in quite a few cases.

See; Kay, Peter

If you could write, anonymously, a devastating expose of all the lies I'd be very grateful, and titillated.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
tbf loads of people's short term memory is loving atrocious, especially under pressure, so I don't think it's fair to label all of them as dunces.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

not a bot posted:

I thought it was great until the end which was dumb, but it was a Gatiss thing so that's to be expected.

Lol I thought it was terrible until the end, which I found enjoyably spooky. The rest of it was way too camp and am-dram, and it was shot in such a crisp, clean, modern way that I found it impossible to get immersed in any of it. Also it had the guy from Toast who was more or less playing the guy from Toast, which I loved, but again did not do anything to make the drama more credible.

Tbh the whole thing basically felt like a weak episode of Inside Number 9 but without any jokes.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, Disney is fast becoming the best streaming service. The sheer volume of content they're amassing is kind of putting everyone else in the shade.

Plus, if you have young kids, having access to every single Disney and Pixar movie ever made is kind of a no brainer. All in glorious 4K HDR as well.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

njsykora posted:

And Trigger Point just feels like ITV want their own Line Of Duty, Jed Mercurio is going to be writing that same series forever.

Lol is that a mercurio show? I saw the ad and thought 'drat that looks derivative'. Like everything about it seems like it could be another series of LoD.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Teenagers definitely started getting peaky blinders haircuts around here, all of which looked faintly ridiculous, but then wtf do I know, I'm in my 30s and have had the same vanilla haircut for the last fifteen years.

What did people think of The Responder? I thought it was pretty awesome; Tim from The Office is just an awesome actor, and the rest of the cast was great as well. That, combined with the fun characters and the excellent script, really elevated the show beyond its pretty clichéd set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Ricky Gervais is a oval office.