Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HoldYourFire posted:

I saw it yesterday and there was a neckbeard with a cowboy hat who mentioned Venetian Snares, is that who you mean?

I can't believe Venetian Snares was brought up on BBC 2. That makes me feel warm inside. If he isn't a goon i'd be shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Junkenstein posted:

Seinfeld is better than the vast majority of British sitcoms.

I find Seinfeld incredibly overrated. I've seen a fair few episodes but I just don't laugh at it. I don't really get what all the fuss is about to be honest.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wickles posted:

Or this could happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKOJnMh8Zqo

ahahaha oh my god this is glorious.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Perfect Element posted:

It really is. The last episode aired last night, and the way it resolved itself left a lump in my throat. I wouldn't say it was perfect - I thought sometimes it became a little melodramatically overblown - but every episode was really engaging, and the acting was pretty brilliant across the board.

I'll second that, I don't usually watch those kind of dramas but Any Human Heart was very engaging. Pretty depressing at times, but Jim Broadbent is excellent in it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fatkraken posted:

ah, this Screenwipe review of the year is amazing. Loved the inception review, and the cat in a bin segment is hilarious.

But WHY? WHY would you put a cat in a bin? why? WHY??? IF YOU JUST TELL US WHY WE MIGHT UNDERSTAND.

WHY!?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Zorba the Greek posted:

God-loving-drat. Derren Brown is just amazing. For Christ sake the finale...

All his other live shows are on 4OD, If you haven't already, I suggest you watch them, they are all amazing.

The best thing about that show I thought was when he takes the loving engraved coin out and it's that womans grandmother's name. I can see how he did most other things through the power of suggestion but that was insane.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone ever watch the rather obscure adult puppet show Fur tv? It was on mtv uk/tmf a while back, and whenever I see mongrels I can't get into it because it just seems like a less funny version of it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

goatface posted:

Was that the one with the suicidal parrot?

No, it had three weird puppets that weren't any animal, just odd creatures, Mervin, Lapeno and Fat Ed. It was absolutely hilarious. Completely childish humour for most of it but in the best possible way.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sigh, for some crazy reason I thought goons wouldn't watch soaps, wishful thinking I suppose.

Anyone catch Dispatches the other day? It was pretty shocking to find out that 4500 inmates of Port au Prince prison escaped when the earthquake hit. I just can't understand how these people assimilate themselves into the tent camps that were set up, and take advantage of the survivors. It did a good job of showing the other side as well, it explained how the law states that people can be sent to prison without seeing a court or actually getting convicted of anything for years at a time.

Poor Haiti.

Edit: The voiceover was done by Dominic West :3:

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 11, 2011

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

This may be steering things a little off topic from TV but is there a good reason why fish farms haven't been developed to breed and then harvest fish much in the same way as it's been done for chicken? I mean if there's such an outrage and worry over dwindling stocks and all of those crazy nutbars on the traulers are going on about how tough it is. Then set up a bunch of those farms and give those nut bars the jobs involved with running them.

This would:
Leave natural reserves alone;
Not kill off any unneeded fish;
Keep us provided with tasty tasty cod/whatever your choice of fish is;
Keep those fishermen employed with an income.
Prevent TV from being flooded with "another camera crew on a boat" shows.

I'm a Marine Biology undergrad, and this is a pretty hot topic. The problem with fish farms is that the type of fish used, like salmon are predatory, feeding on smaller fish. The salmon consume way more fish than they themselves produce, making overfishing more prominent on prey species like sardines. Say for instance you get 1 kilo of salmon, you have to feed them 4 kilos of sardines, its just not ecologically viable.

Also the environmental damage these fish farms cause is astounding, just by the amount of fecal matter they produce.

I liked Hugh's fish fight, although it seemed a little bit biased against scientists. They spent a lot of time talking to the fishermen about how the scientists don't know what they're talking about with cod stocks, some saying they haven't seen this many for 40 years. Well 40 years isn't a long time, scientists doing this kind of research have data that go back 2 centuries. They did get a scientist on to explain why, but it was for like 2 minutes.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 12, 2011

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Irisi posted:

Ah, I think we've found the name that Ra's Al Ghul uses to post on these forums.

It was -as all these programmes tend to be- deeply uncomfortable viewing, with no easy answers. I suppose the best an average person like me can do is stop eating cod and try to find some ethically sourced monkfish? That, or turn vegetarian.

Yeah, but unfortunately most people don't change. They will forever go for cod and chips even if there's a tastier alternative.

Don't even get me started on bluefin tuna..

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ibroxmassive posted:

Noone needs essential fatty acids

It doesn't all come from fish you know. There's plenty of other sources.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think my favourite Horizon was one called 'Can we make a star on Earth?'. Brian Cox presented it and it was really interesting to see all these potential fusion reactors being developed. One of them even looked exactly how I pictured a fusion reactor to look like.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

justcola posted:

Kind of makes me wonder why they don't show Tomorrow's World any more. I suppose it's been replaced by 'Click', but click is pretty much Braniac with consumer gadgets instead of exploding caravans.

Unless Tomorrow's World is today. Then that means tomorrow is the Day After Tomorrow and we're all going to get snowed in and have to live in Mexico.

Tomorrow's world was hilarious. I remember one episode, their idea of 'Internet shopping in the future' didn't consist of browsing lists of items with pictures and ordering from a warehouse. It consisted of controlling a loving robot via the internet to stroll down the high street and mechanically pick up all your shopping, it was just ridiculous.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Uncertain Frog posted:

So can anyone tell me why reality may be a hologram? I was led to beleive we were part of an inter-dimensional game of marbles.

They talked about how Stephen Hawking gave a lecture on black holes where he explained that they don't go on forever as previously thought, but they shrink and eventually disappear. This frustrated physicists because they always thought that whatever goes into a black hole never comes out, including the 'information' of matter. If they shrink and disappear, the information is gone, which doesn't conform to the laws of nature. Energy, matter and information can never be created or destroyed, just converted into other things.

One physicist realised that the black hole could be kind of like a hologram. They store 3D information on a 2D plane. So as the matter passes through the event horizon (point of no return) of a black hole, the information stays there, not going further in. The event horizon is a 2d surface, but holds all the information of the 3D matter. This concept could potentially be used to explain the universe. The edges of the universe could potentially be where all the information of the universe is stored. Thus everything inside the universe is just a projection, or hologram of what is happening on the 'event horizon' of the universe.

Granted this is still completely hypothetical, but it's a drat fascinating idea.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kid Moe posted:

Simon Amstell guest presenting Buzzcocks tonight with that oval office Noel Fielding replaced by Russel Brand.

Oh great, we get a oval office replaced with a bigger oval office. Hopefully Simon Amstell will make it ok.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

TVIV's ridiculous too cool for school hatred of Fielding/The Boosh is hilarious.

I'm sorry I just don't find anything about the mighty boosh funny. It kind of feels like the other way around, if you don't 'get' the mighty boosh you're not cool enough. It seems to try to be way too oddball, but completely misses the mark.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Well yeah, it can be hard to 'get' if you have a dreadfully underdevolped sense of humour. But there's always Last of The Summer Wine.

Sorry I must have wrote that wrong, I get it, I just think it's a bit poo poo.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Flatscan posted:

I loving hate the news media. If I ever completely lose it and decide to go on a killing spree, they're secondary targets after the politicians.

Don't forget those Marketing and Advertiser cunts as well. I'd kill them slowly.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Perfect Element posted:

So, would you guys recommend that I watch it, or just wait til its on again next week?

Yeah i'd say watch it. There were pretty poor bits of it, but there were also some great bits from David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker. If you have even a passing interest in one of those two you will like some of it.

To be fair it's better than a lot of things on at the moment.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

reality_groove posted:

It's like how every comedian seems to be aetheistic and making jokes about the catholic church but no-one's making jokes about atheists.

What jokes could you make about atheists? There's way more fodder against the catholic church.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

midge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pRKA6lqsfg

Just.....just leaving this here.

John Leslie singing "Will not let you go" was quite prophetic.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

Plymouth really should be described simply as a Wasteland more on TV. Because it is.

Excellent Brooker on telly at last.

I lost my poo poo at that bit, it was hilarious. Plymouth really is a wasteland, I live there. There was also a bit on newswipe, I can't remember exactly why but someone received a text saying 'PLYMOUTH NUKED LOL'.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Haha, you have very poor taste if you think You Have Been Watching was poo poo. I do love the goons and their "X is popular now, so I no longer like X" bullsht though, as seen in the backlash against Brooker.

Yeah I really enjoyed Have you been watching, I don't understand the hate.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, Britain's attitude towards Eurovision is based on the arrogant assumption that we are better then everyone else taking part in a stupid gimmicky song contest. What we fail to understand is a lot of countries that take part take things very seriously, and consider the greatest prize in Eurovision to be a chance to show their country off to Europe.
Take Turkey for example, the last eight years they've had five top 4 entries, including one winner, and they always use established acts.

Well pretty much every time i've watched eurovision it's been a stupidly cheesy and tacky event where all the entries are just as bad as each other.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ratjaculation posted:

Does anyone else feel Episodes would be far better if it was just the Matt LeBlanc Show?

I thought the first episode was pretty weak but it's really grown on me, it definitely is down to Matt LeBlanc though, surprisingly.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

le chat posted:

which is a stupid attitude to have

I thought he was all for education for education's sake and if people want to do photojournalism in uni what does he expect them to study? Maths? Unless he was referring to people who apply to top universities and incredibly technical courses with a photography a-level/diploma but I doubt that really ever happens

I'm guessing you didn't do photography for a-level then. I did, it was the most retarded course i've ever done. I love photography as a hobby, but you don't need a full 2 years a levels and then another 3 years degree to be able to take good pictures. Past the basics like learning what the exposure triangle is and composition, all you need to do to be a good photographer is to keep taking pictures.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

MisterLizard posted:

Ouch, that kid in Outcasts is quite painful to watch. He has a voice that belongs in a 1970s Public Information film talking to Charly the cat. Right now he's standing at a lakeside with Apollo and I'm waiting for a serious-sounding "Stay away from the water" voiceover to kick in.

"JIMMMEEEEEH!!"

Remember kids, don't throw frisbees into power substations.

And yeah Outcasts was poo poo. I probably would have kept watching if they hadn't killed Apollo, god drat bbc, will you EVER make a good sci fi?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

I remember the hilariously violent but oddly enjoyable Starship Troopers CGI animated series thing. Anyone else?

Yeah I remember it, they used to show it on saturday mornings. You're right about violence, it really didn't seem like a kids show at the time.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

N3RDSTER posted:

I'm watching My Super Sweet 16 right now (VIVA, another episode along at half past). poo poo is ridiculous. The first venue they had (for £30,000 for the night) backed out, presumably on grounds of taste, and when they got The Savoy as a location she had to go check it out because she was worried her friends would think it was cheap. This is of course after she gets a tailor made dress and a jewellery to the tune of £20,000.

The party's just finishing up now and she's performing a professionally choreographed dance routine with a troupe of dancers. She didn't get the boy though! Haha.

Haha yeah i've been watching the same episode. It's kind of a guilty pleasure in a way. I watch these spoilt shits have a really cringeworthy party and I then bask in the fact that they will probably never get anywhere in life and have no real experiences at all. Aaah makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Although the amount of rage that builds up as I try to fathom at how shallow and stupid they are is rather a lot.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wickles posted:

Rastamouse provokes complaints of racism and teaching bad language

The Rastafarian mouse, who leads a band called the Easy Crew and speaks in Jamaican Patois, uses phrases such as "me wan go" ("I want to go"), "irie" ("happy"), "wagwan" ("what's going on?"). His mission is to "make a bad ting good".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8320549/Rastamouse-provokes-complaints-of-racism-and-teaching-bad-language.html

Do they realize that Rastafari is a spiritual thing? It's not like it's making fun of it, that's how they are. This is ridiculous, I love Rastas.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 13, 2011

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wickles posted:

never forget
[faragearama]

I laughed way too much at that. He's a trooper.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tsaedje posted:

Madagascar: a land of diversity and amazing plants and animals, here have 45 minutes of lemurs with a couple of minutes for all the other types of creature.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with one of the most awesome groups of terrestrial vertebrates.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah you just have to remember that it's a BBC documentary, even though Madagascar is a place with ridiculously high endemism, Lemurs are the most charismatic and filmable, as well as being really well studied in most cases.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Beeswax posted:

I'm setting myself up to be publicly humiliated here but I've never really got what's so great about Adam & Joe, with the caveat that I have only heard like 1½ of their shows in total. I love Collings and Herrin, and they keep going on and on about hwo great Adam & joe are. And so does everyone else. I just thought it was a couple of midly amusing hours of two grown men acting like they're children. I don't mean that as necessarily a bad thing but the affected naivete with which they address each other and set up jokes didn't do anything for me.

Feel free to boo me

Don't worry, I feel the same way about Stewart Lee, goons seem to love him but I don't find him nearly as funny as other comics.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

LE0N posted:

got round to watching how tv ruined your life, interesting to see Noel Edmonds single handedly invented ebay, napster and skype in the 80's. I wonder what Deal or no deal for in the future?

I also find it pretty appalling that there isn't even a Nandos on the moon.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ibroxmassive posted:

Who are the dumbfucks and why are they there?

That girl is pretty much the worst presenter of anything ever.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bland posted:

Are they just repeating questions from all the previous seasons in this QI special?

I definitely remember the Paris Syndrome question.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

Oihm spakkin wif mah gettoh wurhds yah kno wot ah meahn. Wicked, ahraht mahn.

:suicide:

She can't even pronounce David Walliams correctly and has to.read.erryfin.off.err.cards.like.a.twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Gram-O-Phone posted:

'Life is the means by which the Universe understands itself'

Amazing.

That was a proper woah moment for me. I love it when things are explained that deeply. Also love the talk about Entropy, for what it is it really doesn't get talked about enough on tv.