Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

justcola posted:

Kind of makes me wonder why they don't show Tomorrow's World any more. I suppose it's been replaced by 'Click', but click is pretty much Braniac with consumer gadgets instead of exploding caravans.

No, that's the Gadget Show you're thinking of. The one with Suzi Perry and the bald dickhead gurning at shiny things for an hour and doing Wacky Stunts to compare them. Sorry, no gap in the market for examining the latest in robotics technology; but text this 80 number with your answer to win all the consumer tech gadgets featured on the show!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
They've been seeking 'your opinion' tweets via their Twitter feed.

forbush99 posted:

@10oClockLive Cameron is pledging to protect the NHS. From what? Himself? Will he be saying to the NHS "why do you keep hitting yourself?"

stevesplan posted:

#10oclocklive NHS reforms - out patients will become "stay out" patients and in patients will become "impatience"

Comedy gold! :haw:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Shaky start, and the audience didn't help either; everyone involved seemed as though they were going 'poo poo this is really happening'. Mitchell, Carr and Brooker were razor-sharp as usual (THEY'RE NOT WEARING THE RIGHT COSTUMES), though, and Laverne could work well as the straight man, tying the separate segments together.

Give it a few more shows so they can find their feet and get a sense of flow & timing for the ad breaks, and then we'll see.

And no more WNN; that was weirdly crap, even for C4. Dare I hope for a sort-of-left-ish-non-blokey Top Gear, though?

spincube fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 21, 2011

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't care what changes they make as long as Barry Shitpeas makes an appearance.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DaWolfey posted:

The people have spoken and they want Miranda Hart.

Her act's inoffensive comedy your mum would watch; like a cross between Bridget Jones and the Vicar of Dibley, it's perfect G.O.L.D. material.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

No one likes 1 and 2?

I thought those had by FAR the most "soul", they were the ones that were most about the characters and least about some massive external conflict, or feedline-punchline type jokes.

1 and 2 were the series without a monster of the week; instead there's the brilliant philosophical episodes like Confidence and Paranoia, Me2, and Thanks for the Memory. And the non-guitary intro. I want Stabbim the Skutter back :(

[edit] and the new series needs a song and dance routine like Series 2's closer. No question.

Anything Auntie puts on national television with a combined scenery & props budget of £10 plus change ends up being brilliant; not figured out the logic behind that yet.

spincube fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2011

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Newspapers will still be around for donkeys' years; all Murdoch has to do is lean on his chums in Downing Street and then whoop, suddenly there's a 'FOR SALE' sign on the Blue Peter lawn.

See, without the free market nobody can buy out the competition :downs:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I cackled at the sexism skit. Mitchell's still being very passive in his interviews; understandable when facing a man who bent the media to his will, I suppose.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They're not cutting everything short to crash into ad breaks, the timing's a little better this week. Good luck explaining the economy to C4 viewers, though...

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It'll end up being spun around, though, like the BNP Question Time interview. How dare they gang up on that guy and score points with the audience!

Still processing Brooker drawing a big cock and balls on live TV. Liking the PI-tv idea.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the name of that feeling when reality becomes indistinguishable from what you'd think to be balls-out parody? 'Police afraid of the dark,' I mean honestly. Ian Hislop will sleep well tonight, I'll bet

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Psybro posted:

More people have seen the Brass Eye Paedophile special and understood what it said about news media than think Chris Morris trivialised child abuse. British youth are taking sides, and this show can capture the zeitgeist if they have the bollocks, which is all Channel 4 has ever aimed to do. Think of all the wonderful comedy that came out of the Thatcher years, well, we're back there. This has legs if it keeps improving.

I agree, honestly, and I know at the end of the day it's a bunch of popular comedians riffing on things what happened. Littlejohn doesn't care about dragging stuff into the limelight by the collar and giving it a good shake in front of an audience, though; he'll complain about these liberal comedians scoring points in front of the scabby students for cheap laughs and not letting the man finish his sentences :argh:

'Police afraid of the dark' is about their reluctance to patrol certain parts of a park past 8PM. Could be dogwhistle, though, and I'll bet the author knew it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thought it was a step back, myself. Carr's NHS skit was a series of punchlines, they put down roots for some really biting satirical stuff last week :(

And what was with the interview bits? The sun emissions topic is really loving out there, Carr could have gone nuts with that; Mitchell didn't interview the Green MP so much as they fired talking points at each other for ten minutes. I'd really, really love them to play up the comedy more, it's what they're good at! - but I suppose that'd mean going pre-recorded.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I must admit, I'd happily watch an hour's worth of Mitchell and Brooker's 'Everything Is poo poo and This Is Why'.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My Little Pony is a thing now? I watched it along with my younger siblings - do I get a free pass? - and it seemed pretty harmless to me. Taking a dismal car-crash of a thirty-minute-long toy advertisement series from the 80s and reinventing it with the idea that the kids watching are probably smarter than the parents they're watching with, plus the sense of silly humour Spongebob had plus having a genuinely positive message to boot made it worth turning in my Man Card.

Is there even a fanbase for this on the Internet? - I mean, My Little Pony's the punchline to a joke nobody even needs to make.

[edit] Ah. Well, a quick Google search later and a) I'm aware there are answers that I'm not sure I want to know, and b) I'm almost certainly on some kind of watchlist now. :sigh:

spincube fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 9, 2011

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm still saddened Brian Blessed never took an interest in history after doing Blackadder, that would have been incredible.

What's that, Edna?

It's hard to believe he's 74 (and still wants to carry on climbing mountains!) - the day he goes is the day the nation becomes a quieter, sadder place :(

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Greed is (was) buying an OG Blue Peter badge on eBay so you didn't need to pay at some public attractions.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Adrianics posted:

God drat am I disappointed in 10 O'Clock Live right now. It's basically a fact by now that Jimmy Carr is the weak link in the equation but I really thought that either Mitchell, Brooker or Laverne would handle the segment on the budget and maybe focus on the fact that Osborne is trying to sneak by a cut on the pensioner's fuel allowance that David Cameron previously pledged to keep intact. Instead, we get a predictably dreary, hopelessly pun-filled groan-fest from a reliably unfunny man. Deeply, deeply disappointed.

Also, to echo someone earlier: A youtube video is not news!!

What I wanted (and was hinted at, for the first few episodes) was a 2011 version of That Was The Week That Was. What we have now is The Students' Guide To Politics; all the rah-rah-ing and big opinions and 'let's change the world tomorrow guys! ...after the jimmy carr sketch' that's fit to fill an hours' timeslot.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

So I have been watching Peep Show with the lady friend recently. We've just gotten to Season 2, and I have to say that Mark (David Mitchell's character) is literally the living embodiment of e/n to such a degree that it sometimes makes me quite uncomfortable. Every bit of awkward/creepy/pathetic/neurotic dorkdom that emerges on that forum is present in some way in this character.

The second episode of the first series, where Mark draws Sophie the swastika cartoon on a sticky note and then hides in the stationery cupboard, had me eating my fist in some bizarre act of shamepathy; everyone else knows the rules of the game, and you're the one desperately trying to keep up, weirdo.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Will the set be 'ocean grey' or 'battleship grey'? This is important.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why the hell there isn't a red-button option to shut up the stream-of-consciousness commentary I just don't know; I just want to watch the pomp and ceremony without worrying whether Fearne 'Gormless' Cotton wants to do another vox-pop :mad:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zorba the Greek posted:

^^ He is going to be on the Christmas QI special this year I beleive.

Terry Wogan was the BEST thing about Eurovision. I mean, it's still good without him but not a hilarious.

Yes, Terry, we know the Eastern Bloc vote for each other. And aren't their costumes the silliest? Have another G&T and tell us how bland our entry is again. Ha ha, those other guys got 'nul points', how humiliating!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was sublime, even though it only ran for six episodes in Peru that one time in the eighties.

"Blood - crimson, copper-tasting blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. ... and bits of sick."

[e] And I thought they cancelled Red Dwarf after they'd taken the 'last human with an evolved cat, dead crewmate and a senile computer fumbling their way through the Universe' genre as fas as it could go?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All of Graham Linehan's sitcoms are the same, featuring irate Irishmen and silly-but-well-meaning sidekicks; Ted-Dougal, Bernie-Manny, Roy-Moss...

I like them all the same, but still.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wormophile posted:

As irritating as Jamie Oliver is, I guess it's kind of hard to get mad about someone trying to ensure kids have better nutrition. He's still a mush mouthed twat, though.

Must confess that I was the same - TV chef going on a moral crusade again, oh look who's on the Sainsburys adverts :rolleyes: - until I realised that the people pushing burgers through school railings as a personal 'gently caress you Jamie Oliver' deserved the Twat of the Highest Order medals, not the guy doing live 'here is how to cook a half-decent meal for your family, you can cook along with me' shows, and exposing school dinners for what they are: bluntly, cheap crap.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

wickles posted:

Steve Coogan in talks on new Alan Partridge series
Alan Partridge looks set to return for his first new TV series in nearly a decade, with Steve Coogan in talks with the BBC and other broadcasters about adapting his online show.

Baby Cow, the production company co-owned by Coogan, is in talks to rework the 2010 online series Mid Morning Matters, which follows Partridge as he records his North Norfolk Digital radio show.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jun/02/steve-coogan-new-alan-partridge-series?INTCMP=SRCH
:woop:

What poo poo gave him a new series? :haw:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Apprently the BBC is has shortened a Dr Who series for more new Sherlock.

Is there really anything in the Sherlock Holmes canon that can be stretched out to cover a whole series? - as opposed to the three original hour-long episodes?

Although I did love the show for Benedict Cumberpatch being a sociopathic weirdo, and the clever floaty-text tech presentation, more than anything. (certainly beats out gigantic Generic TV OS closeups)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, give Alan another series, you poo poo.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So what was the name of the show where a group of kids had to start at the bottom of a building and solve Crystal Maze-y puzzles on each floor, going up towards the penthouse at the top using the lifts? This would have been a BBC show, mid nineties. Like Finders Keepers, I've never been able to convince anyone else it existed at all.

Also, didn't Neil Buchanan present some kind of show about the paranormal on ITV? I remember that having really, really weird theme music.

[e] First auto-correct entry for Neil Buchanan is 'neil buchanan death'. Whaaaat?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Bodger and Badger is the greatest. Whoever thought up a theme tune that's both very catchy, and easy for small children to literally scream, was a loving genius.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ChuckDHead posted:

They're lovably dense Irish lads with no apparent self-awareness whatsoever or any real capacity for spite (though we'll see what a few weeks in an enclosed space with a bunch of so-called celebrities will do for that). Basically they're a double-act of Father Dougal MacGuire, with even less musical talent.

My opinion on them did a 180 after their appearance on the Buzzcocks. They're just a couple of Irish lads who want to sing - getting steamed up about them would be like kicking a puppy, even if it did just leave a puddle on the carpet.

And their Twitter feed's one big over-enthusiastic :3: stream of consciousness, too

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fazana posted:

If you have any interest in Formula 1 at all, I urge you to watch "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" before it disappears on the 3rd September http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z8v18/Grand_Prix_The_Killer_Years/ I was vaguely aware of things being pretty bad in those years but to actually see footage of what racing was like back then and the number of people who were killed, usually with the race carrying on whilst the body was being dragged away, is astonishing. Examples of the stupidity by the designers include a newly designed car with a large amount of magnesium in its chassis being entered into a race and of course catching fire and burning it's driver to death in its very first race. How did they know the then best racer and multiple time world champion in the world had crashed in a race in Germany? He didn't come round at the end of a lap... When they went looking for him they found his car wrapped around a tree where he had gone off (barriers? crazy loving talk!)and the chap himself dead from being thrown from his car and hitting a tree 15 feet in the air (marks on the tree showed where he had hit) killing him instantly. Anyways, watch and be amazed at the casual disregard for life.

Well, I've just watched through this and I think I'm going to go stare at the wall for a few minutes. That last sequence of events at the '73 Grand Prix is loving heartbreaking.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ChuckDHead posted:

I suspect that much like the record labels, book publishers would really prefer that digital doesn't take off.

Well, you're in the right ballpark.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ddraig posted:

Having a teenage sister has its advantages. I managed to convince her that Darkplace was an actual show back in the 80s and I used to watch it all the time.

Aaah. Classic '80s Peruvian broadcasting :allears:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MisterLizard posted:

I feel like there's a need for someone to take up the Brass Eye mantle and produce genuinely provocative satire.

10 O'Clock Live promised this. Instead, we got Jimmy Carr dressing up in silly costumes and knocking out puns for ten minutes. I think the closest thing we've had is maybe Monkey Dust? And even that doesn't count because 'it's a cartoon'.

I really, really liked the quick flick through of the final NotW issue on 2011 Wipe. 'Actively making the world worse' was a cracking jab, too.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Another 4oD recommendation: Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

I can't watch Darkplace without the in-character DVD commentary any more; I keep hearing Richard Ayoade getting huffy at a semi-drunken Matt Berry and by then I'm in tears.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NaDy posted:

Highest rated tv show of all time? Jesus christ. Was that mostly US critics? Because I suppose they love all this boring class based drama that excretes itself from UK channels.

Sort-of related; anyone heard anything about Upstairs, Downstairs? I loved the miniseries they put out this time last year, and was really hoping to get some more.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, you'd have thought that Cameron and co. would have really leant on the old Cool Britannia thing for the Olympics this year; get Good Morning Britain pumping out for the opening ceremony as the Red Arrows do a fly-past, dig up what's left of Geri Halliwell for the papers, ANYTHING to stop people being so loving English about the whole thing.

Also, replace Chris Moyles with Zane Lowe immediately. That week where the latter took over was the most listenable I've ever heard daytime Radio 1 in a long, long while.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kuno posted:

Whoah, just got a text from Charlie Brooker telling me off and asking for my bones.

I guess he is big enough to be a charity face person now? Boo to that I say. I can't help but think that like 90% of people who don't read the Grauniad who got that text/email would have no idea who Brooker is, seems a poor choice of celebrity sponsor really. Unless I'm underestimating how popular he is now I suppose.

I got that as an email, too. Bit of a surprise, as I signed up for the Anthony Nolan register (everybody do this btw) after he linked to it from his Twitter one time - if 'celebrities you'd expect to be patrons of charities' were a pub quiz question, I wouldn't put his name forward, put it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
^ I remember that. She was in a few ads for one of those scummy payday loan companies aimed at people who probably can't even spell APR, right?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I swear it is that bloody clock and the music that makes your brain panic, I'm quite good at Scrabble!

I like how it's one of those TV things that's seeped into the national consciousness through osmosis or something. Like EX-TER-MIN-ATE or the Vision On gallery theme.

Maybe the Antiques Roadshow music too?

[edit]

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

mutton dressed as lamb
Them's fighting words. :mad:

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 23, 2012