Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Plucky Brit posted:

I wish my headmaster was half as awesome as the Inbetweeners one.

He was actually a teacher before he started comedy/acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Dell_Zincht posted:

That episode of This is England '86 was really loving good, though I have a good dozen or so people on my Facebook news feed saying they're not watching it anymore because of the rape scene

Go to the facebook of the show, it's full of idiots like that choice quotes include "will give pedophiles ideas" and half of them want racist combo back, lots of people seem to have no problem with a two hour film with racism and the near murder of a black man by a racist nutter nor with the five sex scenes from the previous ep, but this was too far.

Someone called them out as in wanting "carry on skinhead", and it's clear a lot of them liked the film for the racism and aren't happy with what they're now getting.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

justcola posted:

I liked This Is England. I'd be more than happy if it was about the ridiculous biker boy gang, but having them just popping up from time to time is good as well. I thought the rape was quite well done, as tv rapes go. I watch This is England with my friends and they complain a lot about how nothing happens, but stuff does happen and it's more realistic than shameless or some other guff. I am interested in the way that the north is portrayed on tv as the only real examples I can think of that have come out recently have been red riding, shameless and this is england. 2 of those were set more than 20 years ago and all 3 deal with horrible shitbags. I don't really dig it. If you ever want a goodish analysis of the north Stuart Maconie wrote a book called Pies and Prejudice that is available in your local charity shop.

We have a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345686

There's also debate as to whether it is set in the north or the midlands. Wiki mentions a northern town (though off the top of my head I can't recall if they ever mention the location in the film or series). It was filmed entirely in the midlands (Nottingham way) and is based on the childhood of Shane Meadows who lived in various midland towns, also the fact that everything he has ever made has been set in the midlands.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
gently caress the haters I'm enjoying phoneshop.

The big problem with it was that the first ep was quite rubbish and with 4 of the same chav characters, the episodes after have been great though.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

LE0N posted:

I dont see why it was hated so much? It's pretty funny all round and goons have absolutely adored worse.

I think the pilot was so so and the first episode somewhat weak.

The advertising campaign was/is quite bad and focused on the "chav" characters and made them look annoying rather than funny, it didn't help that the first episode also featured two additional "chav" characters who were annoying.

Remember most of this thread call Gavin and Stacey poo poo despite never watching it because of the type of people who raved about it (Catherine Tate fans) or the other work the people in it did (all toss pretty much), I've yet to encounter someone who watched the first series and not fallen in love with it.

I can see phoneshop becoming a big success for channel 4.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
^^^^ I remember our terrible version of the 70s Show (an already terrible show though so maybe it was just a failure to fix something rather than us breaking it), a lot of US remakes I don't have much of a problem with because when you look at it a huge amount of our comedy has jokes that the foreigners wouldn't get (I just spent half an hour last night trying to explain the rivalry and stereotypes between the North and South to a Dutch girl, and let's face it regionalism accounts for 20% of our humour, thank god it wasn't our take on the Class system)

lazyjane posted:

The American Shameless, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.sho.com/site/shameless/home.do

I'm not sure.

It looks too poorly done, the acting is pretty weak all round and the social deprivation that really makes the UK version doesn't seem to be there/seems to be half-hearted.

They also seem to be using the style of the later series where it is more of a silly comedy rather than the early series where it was more of a drama and Frank rather than being this loveable rogue he is now was a villainous, abusive, and almost sinister figure.

I'm not opposed to the concept of American remakes and I feel that a well done show set in a blue-collar american community could be fantastic and potentially eclipse the original, this however I doubt will get another series.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I haven't watched Skins (keep meaning to) but I know a few Swedish girls who speak English with American accents because they mainly learned from watching US shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Phoneshop owned, hopefully they do another series.