Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Kin posted:

I was under the impression that Larry King was a highly intelligent individual as well as a hard hitting to the point kind of interviewer?

I'd just like to point out that this is incredibly wrong. King is known for brown nosing celebrities and giving interviewees an easy time, especially when they have a sensitive topic in the news. Which would probably explain why Morgan got the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

So there's new Inbetweeners on tonight. Anyone else counting down the hours? My girlfriend wanted to watch it, but she's working while it's on. How long does it take 4oD to put things online?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Alan BStard posted:

Now where am I going to be able to see random episodes of Star Trek, AND Fresh Prince? :(

MURDOCH :argh:

Man! My X-Files and Star Trek! Rupert Murdoch hates me.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

But... b-b-but... but this means Screen/News/Gameswipe are still safe, right guys? Guys?!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sion posted:

Oh come on it's mostly inoffensive comedy that actually gives a few decent laughs. There are a few good lines, a few decent physical gags in each episode and it's not actually that bad. It's also given a rather duff spot late in the evening on a monday on BBC 1. It knows its market is people that think that the BBC's comedy output has become crude and needlessly mean (it has) about a lot of things. I remember a while ago in this very thread someone saying "Why hasn't that The Thick of It but with the NHS show been given more prominence?"

Well because an actual punchline in that show was the phrase 'maybe it's a prolapsed anus?'

It's not a show that's out to pick up the viewers that are the sorts of people in this thread. The people in this thread are, by and large, very well served by peep show, the IT crowd, the thick of it, that NHS show thing that I mentioned, the inbetweeners. All of those shows share a fairly obvious common thread and it's a little disappointing to see people in here flinging poo at it because it's not to their taste.

I think you're looking too much into it. It's just poo poo.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I dunno, I kinda liked Tramadol Nights. The Knight Rider sketch was pretty good. I certainly see all of your points though, most of the sketches miss the mark, there is far too much repetition of old material and a lot of the edgier jokes are quite tiresome. It entertained me for half an hour anyway.

Lasted about four seconds into The Morgana Show though. Christ.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Adrianics posted:

Stand-Up chat: Gina Yashere is a billion times funnier live than she ever was on Mock The Week.

Get the gently caress out. Gina "I'M NIGERIAN DON'T YOU KNOW" Yashere is like a loving comedy black hole. Any time she has opened her incredibly gummy mouth it has been as if humour as a concept has been nullified.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Cabbit posted:

It feels good to read someone else saying this, as opposed to simply hearing myself think it as I'm binging on Mock the Week episodes on YouTube. Always makes me feel slightly racist for some reason, which is pretty stupid of me but there you go.

Ain't nothing racist about it man, bad jokes in a Nigerian accent are still bad jokes. And almost all of her humour is centred around being Nigerian. I get it, that's a big part of her identity, that's cool. But come on woman, there are other avenues of comedy to explore. 

I think that might be why I don't really find Julian Clarey all that funny. He's gay and he can celebrate that fact and that's a beautiful thing. But dude, is there nothing else to you? It's so one dimensional. 

7seven7
May 19, 2006

thehustler posted:

And that's why people ended up feeling sorry for him. He took it well, but ultimately, he couldn't present the show anymore because he'd become such a figure of fun.

Merton says as much in his brilliant Parkinson interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXiR089ARQ

drat man, that beard makes Merton look suave as gently caress. Why would he ever go fresh faced after sporting that monster?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

pisshead posted:

From what I can gather, he hates Little Britain because it's made by people from the same class as most other British comedians, and that it makes fun of people that the left-wing media dedicate their lives to pretending to care about. His point is mainly bolstered by a quote from a random poster on an internet forum.

Btw what the gently caress happened to Charlotte Church?

I'm one of the biggest lefties I know, but I just cannot stand Johann Hari. Everything offends him! And my God, he is one of the whiniest, most insufferable pricks to be given media space. I'm pretty sure he's the reason why right wingers hate the left.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Wonders of the Universe

March 6th, 9PM BBC 2.

:parrot:

Oh my. I seem to have got an erection. Wonders of the Solar System was one of the best and most engaging shows I have ever seen. I am very excited for this.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Irisi posted:

The lizards are so :3: and wee and precious. As are the lemurs. Heck, even the bugs of Madagascar are cute in a weird way.

And we should start thinking seriously about how to clone David Attenborough. Because he is getting old, and the world really still needs a nice, gentle-voiced British man to keep on telling it about all the amazing things it's got, and why it shouldn't kill them off.

I'm really enjoying John Hurt's narration on Human Planet. When I watched the first episode and didn't hear David Attenborough's voice I was initially disappointed, but while I would prefer Attenborough, Hurt is a nice alternative. 

7seven7
May 19, 2006

justcola posted:

Is human planet any good? I thought it would be a good direction for the nature documentary to go after planet earth and blue planet. Maybe a documentary about life in the higher atmosphere.

They had Tom Baker do the answer phones for BT a while ago. Maybe they can use the same technology to make the Attenborg.

It's breath taking.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Well I've just had an absolutely lovely day courtesy of the BBC and The Applause Store. I was offered priority tickets to go see QI being filmed if I went along to see Alexander Armstrong's Pointless. After sitting through two of the dullest hours of my life the audience was offered the chance to have a stretch and maybe take a dump. Eager to get away from all the forced laughter and awkwardness I went to go take a leak while I had the chance. While I was queuing I noticed people leaving. I thought I'd get in on this, but having heard bad things about The Applause Store, I thought I'd best ask somebody if it was OK to leave. There was an older and very bored looking lady who was guarding the exit. I asked her if it was OK and whether I'd lose my QI tickets if I did leave. "No, that's fine, we can't keep you here forcefully." she told me. "Result." I thought to myself, and quickly hightailed it out of there. 
 I jumped on the next train and decided to ring The Applause Store to claim my tickets. The first question they asked was "Did you leave early?" so I told them I had and was promptly informed that I forfeited my tickets because of this. "We got what we needed, gently caress you lol bye!" was pretty much the response I got. 
 Fuckers. 

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Alan BStard posted:

I think Pointless is a load of poo poo anyway but why do they actually need an audience there? It isn't very exciting or dramatic, do they really need an audience in there so we can hear an "ohhhh" when that stupid answers barometer gets close to zero?

That was pretty much it. The only remotely entertaining part of the afternoon was seeing Alexander Armstrong dwarfed when his gigantic co-host stood next to him.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Daimo posted:

Glory Daze has been recommended to me, is it any good guys?

I stumbled across it the other day and it's OK. Pretty easy going, but I wouldn't go out of your way to watch it.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Forgive me for this really mundane request, but on Friday I'm going on a long journey with some friends and everybody gets an hour on the radio to listen to whatever they want and I'd like to take this opportunity to finally introduce my friends to Adam & Joe. I've got both of all the XFM and 6 Music podcasts on my phone. What episode numbers would you recommend to sucker them in?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

XFM Podcasts 6, 7, and 18 are my favourites. Particularly the football chants in 7 and their version of Rudebox in 18.

Thanks mate, those are some good choices.

Edit: Oh wait, no. Never mind. My iphone's just flipped out and gotten rid of most of my podcasts and all of my music. And I have no computer to hook it up to. Thanks Steve Jobs!

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 28, 2011

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

I thought Adam's song for royal wedding song wars was a work of genius.

Adam's impression of the Queen is the only bit of theirs that I've never "got". It's making me feel thick. What am I missing?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Adrianics posted:

I went to a recording of Buzzcocks last night.

Lorraine Kelly was the host and, no exaggeration, every last one of her scripted jokes completely died on its arse.

Some friends of mine went to see it a couple of days ago and Adam Buxton was hosting. He was repeatedly Stephened.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's a bit of a diversion, but can I just say Joe did a cracking job with Attack the Block....

I thought it was kinda middling. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great. And I think there were rumblings that they were supposed to be coming back in February. Not sure where I heard that though.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Well I really enjoyed the new Black Mirror. But then, I'm not very well read so the concept was new to me.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Love Like Blood posted:

Every time I see him I only think of this.

He's a smug wanker and I hate him. :colbert:

I dunno. I don't think you can discredit his entire body of work just because of his religious views. Frank Skinner's always amused me in a relatively clean way. I read the whole interview out of curiosity and I didn't think he came off as that smug. Just as someone who wants his views to be more widely accepted. He definitely didn't come off as smug as Dawkins does in his interviews. And I say that as an atheist.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

On the contrary, I find him to be the most engaging character. There's a kind of honesty in his stiffness that really appeals to me. I think it's one of the best things on TV at the moment.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

incredible bear posted:

The highlight was Greg Davies's expression when Bob actually did it.

For me, Would I lie To You is far and away the best panel show on TV. I usually find Lee Mack's humour a bit too old school, but the chemistry between him, Rob Brydon and David Mitchell is just perfect. Nothing amuses me more than over the top digs about David Mitchell's posh up bringing.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

They look like they are genuinely having fun while making it.

This is pretty much what does it for me. There was an episode I saw recently where Mack, Mitchell and Brydon mentioned that they'd all hung out together outside of work. I couldn't really say why, but this pleased me immensely.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Did anyone else notice the Mass Effect Galaxy Map Theme playing in the mission control scene right at the start of the newest Horizon? Have there ever been any other examples of video game music subtly slipped into TV? My girlfriend thought I was having a fit when I twigged it.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Limmy's Show was amazing. I'd never seen anything quite so bleak yet uplifting. If it ever gets another series I'll be a very happy man.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Adam is returning to 6Music. But no Joe. He gets Edith "I have no opinion, everything is marvellous" Bowman.

This is the worst news I have ever received.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Wouldn't mind catching that on the iPlayer. Know the name of the programme?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

thehustler posted:

Both that show and this new one were absolutely fantastic. He really is good at this kind of thing

I caught the one about the south a while ago and happened to catch this one with my girlfriend a few days ago. Both were excellent. Although me and the missus both noticed that he was guilty of quite a few of the things he was criticising. Namely having a lot of the Native Americans playing second fiddle to himself. But then again I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day if his name wasn't attached to it. So maybe I'm the problem...

7seven7
May 19, 2006

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Has anyone else been having problems with iPlayer desktop? So often recently all the programs in my library disappear. I read elsewhere that this is caused by dodgy downloads, and removing some files from my repository brings the others back, but I haven't been able to actually view anything in a while.

I've had this problem for quite a while and have thus far found no solution. I've tried all their suggestions, including deleting files in my repository. Let me know if you have any luck, mate. So far, much as I love them, the BBC haven't been able to help me.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Did anyone listen to the first Adam and Edith show? How badly did it pale against ...and Joe?

I want to listen to it, but at the same time I don't want to sour the memory of one of my all time favourite things. Change frightens me,

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Not one post about the latest Limmy's Show episode? It was utterly brilliant pretty much the whole way through

Limmy's Show is one of my favourite things on TV. I showed it to my friends and now they think I'm weird.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

All the good stuff is on iPlayer Factual more or less for me now.

A thousand times this. Any time I want to watch TV these days, my routine is iPlayer > Factual > Science & Nature. Maybe occasionally I'll venture over to Factual > History, but that is a rare occurrence.

Thank gently caress for BBC4.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Has no one else noticed that Adam Buxton managed to sneak one of his jingles into Thinkbox's The Power of Advertising advert? He even gets in a sly "Ala poo poo la la" at the end.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

drat, you guys weren't lying about Utopia. loving fantastic.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Well this is frustrating. I'm trying to watch the new Utopia on 4OD, but every time it gets to an ad break, it'll show the adverts and then jump to a seemingly random Channel 4 show when part two resumes. I tried watching it on 4OD's YouTube channel, but I get a black screen whenever I watch it in full screen mode. I could watch it in a smaller frame, but it's shot so well that I don't want to.

EDIT: Ugh. I had to resort to... Explorer to watch it. It was worth it though. I'm hooked.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 25, 2013

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I think you lot are missing the point of Doug Stanhope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

So apparently Robert Downey Jr bought the rights to make a movie based on The Entire History of You from the last series of Black Mirror.