Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jays dad needs to brutally torpedo his BS more often.

This show loves its projectile vomiting.

Jay and his dad have a great dynamic. You can tell Jay bullshits to cover up the poo poo his dad puts on him and his bullshit getting called out just makes it so much worse.

The caravan camp episode was fantastic for this reason. You really got a chance to see why the hell Jay needs to try and prop himself up.

Love how the kids characters are shaped by their parents. Just very clever characterisation and writing overall. Also, more of Wills mum please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

My sister loves home and away and will run from the room if I am in her house and an ad comes on for it. We did our Christmas shopping together and I had to line up and pay for her stuff because she didn't wish to see the front covers of magazines that might have spoilers.

One can only assume she sits on the edge of the couch watching it glad not to be spoiled that Alf will say Flaminn' Heck at some point and that loud mouth bitch at the diner will somehow say something inappropriate.

She also emailed me asking to forward her a link to the episodes online so she can rewatch.

My sister is broken.

Of course I sent her the link to the Alf Stewart goes apeshit link and she called me back ranting about how horrible it was.

So yes, there are people who take their soaps seriously and they are to be avoided. If possible.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, I think it was probably a better idea in theory than practice to make the bad guys human in Being Human. It worked well as a one off episode but having the season revolve about a human enemy kind of took the depth out of it.

Can't wait to see where they go with the third season and how they use the new location. Should be very interesting.

Michael Jackson and I both hope Annie is okay.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Just saw the trailer for the new series of Being Human and I know it's sort of a "Hey, we're coming back, remember us?" thing but they could have dropped some hints or placed something in there to at least give some indication of what is going to happen.

Dammit, Merrick is back and will probably carve poo poo up and they now live in the country and I want to know how this affects things because goddamit, you know what, I want the series now on DVD I don't want to wait anymore.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Squalitude posted:

This show is simply too difficult to watch.

Sharon Horgan eases the pain a little.

Also seconding Whites.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Does the Daily Star quote itself in the little graphic insert every time? That's rather endearing in a "Pat me on the head, I dun good see," way.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Psybro posted:

I love how they've done that and having Kat turning up going "Give him back!" and Ronnie actually blurting out "IT'S TOMMY" when Roxy is looking at her baby, apropos of nothing at all.

I like seeing EastEnders' core audience having their intelligence insulted.

Now you know what it feels like the live in the land that produced Home and Away and where it is a 7pm shared television viewing experiences in most families.

I'd like to apologise on inflicting that dross on other countries that have that show in their schedules.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Oops quote is not edit.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Bloodbath posted:

Being Human (not really spoilers but might be annoying to people who haven't seen series 1 yet)

I'm watching Being Human and can someone tell me, not what was said, but if we ever find out what Annie whispered to Owen in s01e05 when he comes over and she says (something along the lines of) 'I'll tell you something only the dead know' then whispers something into his ear. Then George asks what it was and Mitchell gives her that 'don't you loving tell him' glare

I don't think I want to know what was said (no spoilers plz) but I just want to know if it's ever acknowledged or anything because it's doing my head in. :(

Amazing show though. Best thing I've seen in years.

Annie: I'm a ghost actually.
Seth: Get out! Can you like move things about and walk from one room to another?
George: Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone can do that.
Seth: Shut it, Digby! The only reason why I haven't torn your bastard face off yet is because I've just done the hoovering in here.

Gutted Seth got a stake in the back :( He was hilarious.

From what I've read that issue is addressed this season. Which starts very soon so :dance:

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Really, he couldn't do a complete review of how TV influences you without inspirational TV. If anything the fact that he has not changed his opinion makes me respect him more and I thought the newer stuff was good and showed that things have only become worse.

I thought that US show with the two way mirror was another one of the shows interpretations of a real show and was actually feeling ill when I realised that it wasn't.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

The draw is that they are presented as more of a narrative about a certain section of TV than screenwipes scattershot approach of this ad sucks, here are some telly-pricks, and don't you hate TV in the morning with all those grinning tossers, oh and here is a cartoon and some soaps.

It's allowing expansion on some of the ideas by narrowing the focus down to what an influence TV is rather than just what pisses him off. Also he doesn't really get in there and tear away at people on TV as much which might have something to do with him saying that it's weird to have met people he slagged off before.

By the nature of the beast it's not going to be fresh and full of new ideas. Television really isn't, I think that is kind of his thesis on how television is produced, but it does allow him to expand on some ideas he probably thought needed more time dedicated to.

We've had screenwipe, newswipe and an episode of gameswipe. I think the 'wipe format has probably shown him that a more serious look at what TV does to you was in order. Brooker has always been funny, but there has been serious intent underneath it all along and I think he is honing that sharper here.

As much as I miss the silly little bits I rather like how on message each individual episode has been.

Edit: Yep, as above.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

So much rage in that WBC documentary. I did like the difference between this and the last one though. Theroux being all upfront and challenging them a little more was good. They obviously were prepared for him and he knew it.

When Shirley Phelps asks why that woman seems so angry at one of the protests and starts telling her that she's so angry that she's shaking and the woman tells her that she has MS I cringed. In anyone else that kind of thing would result in some apology but creepy scarecrow just looked smug.

It's weird going back and looking at the first after this one. The daughter that seemed to connect with Theroux in the first looks like a likely candidate for the Phelps throne should the good lord tally and not send them to the purple cave to await further developments. I was hoping she was one of the children who left. :(

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah that seemed pretty weird to me. They are obviously so entrenched in this belief system and yet at the same time there's something about Theroux or the BBC that scares them. I can understand them hovering around the kids because a nice sane person questioning indoctrinated opinions might disrupt the batshit crazy but even 'ol man Phelps seemed to view him as a threat when last he viewed him with derision.

I think I prefer the earlier one. This felt a lot more closed in and it felt like they were using Theroux a little bit to get some more exposure.

I love the american reaction to the BBC though. Maybe it's just the WBC but those three little letters seem to indicate a force greater than nature to a lot of Americans.

And you are right about the lack of time spent on the ones who left. Maybe it would have been a better counterpoint to the earlier documentary if he spent most of this one talking with them and finding out how they are adjusting to life outside of the weirdness. I know the whole Theroux thing is Weird People Living Weird Lives Let's Take A Peek but I felt that ground was already covered fairly well in the first.

I'd like him to revisit the brothel in Nevada though. That one is probably my favourite and I often wonder what his partner thought of it. Theroux really seemed to be enjoying himself there.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Stop being MEAN to MICHAEL McIntyre he has his problems TOO.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

No love for The Brittas Empire? I still watch that even now, and it's still great

I really enjoyed the Brittas Empire but it ran too long and became really silly and all the strings started to show.

Men Behaving Badly was the same. Great first few seasons, then it just turned into either a solid funny episode or a really poo poo one and fell apart.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Poor Caroline Quentin, falling from the heights of Men Behaving Badly and Jonathan Creek to this. It's not even awfully bad, it's just derivative, dull and desperately mediocre. I guess M&S weren't paying her enough.

Speaking of, I remember her being bloody funny in Kiss Me Kate which is a sitcom I've seem to have forgotten about. Must track it down on DVD and see if I still feel the same way.

Anybody remember Beast? I found the first episode on youtube but they never released it on DVD. Shame really. It was pretty damned good.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

I have this weird theory that Johnny Vegas would shine in a series similar in tone to Cracker where he plays a psychologist battling addiction problems in a middle class area with a case load of overwrought white collar workers and their petulant midlife crises and infidelities.

Than again I want Doug Stanhope to have his own news program so what do I know?

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 11, 2011

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Holy poo poo, after Merits I had to go out for a walk for a while. Way too many screens in my house all of a sudden. About half an hour into the walk I was into the city and watching people gather around a department store window watching the LCD televisions displayed there and most of them were highlighting the high definition aspects by showing beaches and screens of the Blue Mountains which aren't that far away from where I live, probably a half hour car journey, and someone said something about how beautiful it looked and I don't think they were talking about the actual mountains themselves.

It was like they had never seen them before and watching them on the screen was some kind of magic. drat that show hit me hard. Well loving done.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

You can see Brookers self-awareness that he, himself, has become another TV celeb taking the piss out of TV celebs kick in around the last series of screenwipe. He'd be reviewing something like Paul Ross' big book of horror, go onto rant about who in their right might would watch a television show with someone sitting around talking and talking and talking .. and then pause with this look of horror on his face. It's at around 6:35 here and I seem to remember him doing a lot of this in series five.

I hope he doesn't feel too much like a part of the machine he used to make an effort to stand outside of but yes he has become a commodity and he knows it, hell without youtube, the internet and places like Reddit or Twitter he would probably not be that well known and moved on to participating in television instead of simply mocking it and pointing at it's problems.

The speech doesn't remind me of Brooker; the removal and relocation to a nicer room with a better screen does. He's a product of the same terrible fate that the newsreader in Network faced. Likened so much for his acerbic comments he has become That Guy What Is All Angry and Witty and placed himself inside a box. Not a small box like the first series of screenwipe but a bigger box like panel shows, 10 live and then deadset.

His own worst enemy poor Charlie :(

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 12, 2011

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

I read it as a metaphor for a release form. Basically something you have to agree to before appearing ensuring that what happens, and the choices that you make, are your own and cannot be attributed to or blamed on the execs.

It was just changed to compliance for the purpose of dehumanising the contestants even more and the effect that occurred was the transition to contestant where you feel out of your depth and no longer in control.

Edit: Oh, yes, Nathan Barley. Must re-watch that sometime soon, it's been way too long and I totally agree with what was said regarding it.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

So, female judge? Amanda Holden or Dannii Minogue? From having a partner who loves x-factor type shows I'd guess Amanda Holden. She does that teary eye'd wipe every third act.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Also the shard of glass is just a prop now :(

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Just rewatched the last scene. The ginger kid's Doppel has it's own glass shard and slashing motion. Nice touch.

They should put them up on the xbox marketplace for our avatars. Really get into the whole Doppel thing.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

So you're the art critic in National Anthem stating that what happened was the purest form of art seen this decade then? :aaaaa:

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Oh screw you for reminding me of the horror that was the Comics Choice show hosted by Bill Bailey. Especially the Jo Brand episode. It would have been less painful had they thrown a bear on stage and probably a hell of a lot funnier.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Dicky B posted:

This just reminds me too much of super hans

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. Poor Phil. That crack really is moreish.

Sad there wasn't a Christmas Peep Show. Just a one-off, maybe Sophie and Dobs internal monologue or something.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Someone has to. I wonder where Brooker left the skin and hair before stepping into his new role of media commentator instead of agitator. Maybe it's under the screenwipe couch.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

So Mitchell is Prince Phillip without the racism? If so, I'd be inclined to agree.

I think it's a tad unfair, though, to say that the moaning on his Soapbox bits are who he really is. Bullfrog seem to have wanted THAT Mitchell and he is playing the part in what are essentially advertisements.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 30, 2011

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

Thanks thread for recommending Todd Margaret, really enjoyed it in an unbelievably cringe-worthy kind of way.

You might also like The worst week of my life if you want some more.

There's no Sharon Horgan in it though. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Not taken seriously it's rather amusing and a good watch but they really drop the ball on the "live" part which normally means there is some serious news content in there somewhere.

Think more American Saturday Night Live than Newsnight or the like. I treat it as a mini big fat quiz of the year and watch it for entertainment value and the inevitable live TV cockup than an insightful dialogue between a Ritalin deprived audience and three comedians.