Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«341 »
eames
May 9, 2009

Coffee Lake may be Z270/1151 compatible after all...

eames fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2017 around 15:36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

This seems bad?

https://twitter.com/newsycbot/status/878988555456045057

SourKraut
Nov 20, 2005

I'M FLYING TO HARDEE'S

Jesus Intel, it's a mature platform. How do they gently caress these things up?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, there is already a microcode update that fixes it. Definitely a good reason to keep abreast of UEFI updates for your board though.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

eames posted:

Coffee Lake may be Z270/1151 compatible after all...

Nobody thinks Coffee Lake isn't going to be on the LGA1151 socket. They just think it'll need a new, potentially incompatible chipset, hence the bump to the "LGA1151 v2" designation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

I find it hilarious that they clock the 7800X lower than the 7820X, despite expecting more headroom due to more unused silicone for heatspreading, probably to justify the Coffee Lake, which sits in between based on clocks based on the stats above. Like what the gently caress.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some more Coffee Lake geekbench scores leaked by MSI, with an underclocked 3.2ghz example being essentially identical to a Ryzen 5 1600X. Earlier leaks were of a 3.5ghz base 4.2ghz boost example that may be a higher SKU or actual launch speeds.

If you can stomach wccftech: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-la...benchmark-leak/

DuckConference
May 27, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

To be fair, there is already a microcode update that fixes it. Definitely a good reason to keep abreast of UEFI updates for your board though.

it seems to just hit the kill bit for that particular optimization, but I think that's pretty typical for microcode fixes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

It's unclear whether turbo boost was enabled or not, though. Not sure why Geekbench doesn't observe CPU clock during the bench and stores it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

A 4619 ST score assuming it turbos +400MHz to 3.6GHz is basically 5% more IPC over SKL/KBL, but you know Intel is just going to gently caress up something in the end product nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Older server question:

Anyone know how the CPU compatibility for LGA1366 works? Is it L-series, E-series, X-series separate or can I upgrade a E5620 to an X5640? Older hexacores are so cheap right now.

Going in one of these old servers.

At $110 for the CPU and $90 per 16GB of ECC Ram (*3, triple channel) it seems like a cheap way to dump some more horses in the box. Unless those used-server boards for $600 are A) still around and B) are the same form factor... they had 128GB of ram on them, I think. Anyone remember where those were?

It was natex.us and they're EATX so they won't work in a proprietary supermicro rack. Too bad.

Might be worth buying just for the 16 8GB DDR3-1333 Registered ECC sticks though.

Harik fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2017 around 05:01

«341 »