Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«422 »
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MR KELLY AND HIS WILD RIDE ARE DEAD.
LONG LIVE CARSON WENTZ AND HIS WAWA BATHROOM EMPIRE

Toilet Rascal

cinci zoo sniper posted:

BIOS may be needed for Spectre, Meltdown should be fixed by Windows update.

Are motherboard manufacturers even issuing BIOS updates for Haswell? I've got an Asus board and I saw in the past few pages they were a little more proactive than the rest but still not going back that far in terms of patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

Asus has issued bios updates for 2 of their 500 dollar ROG Haswell boards. I don't know if those are just the first priority or the only ones getting updates.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The H97I Plus in my DVR/HTPC has a 2018 BIOS available, but Iím not installing it because of all the rebooting.

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

re AVR54, apparently the fix is "a minor silicone tweak".

I set up a DS1515+ connected to a pfsense firewall and VPN into that with another pfsense box last December.
As far as I can tell all use the same C-2000 series CPUs so the race is on.

The race is over! My DS1515+ died today from that clock signal bug.
More and more people reporting these failures on the synology forums. Expecting a RMA time of 4-5 weeks because their warehouses at capacity.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Any word on whether the next generation of Intel will be vulnerable to meltdown and spectre? I tried searching for news for the future line-up of chips but couldn't find anything. I was going to build a new gaming computer this year so I wanted to know if I should wait until next year or not

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The immediate next generation? It will have the same issues. Chips have huge lead times.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like the launch date for the rest of the Coffee Lake stack is February 14.

https://videocardz.com/74856/intel-...eta-14-february

WCCF has some stuff on the mobile CPUs coming:

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-l...-gen-cpus-leak/

Those sub-$100USD 2/4 3.7ghz+ Pentiums will probably be popular, considering like half of the top Amazon CPU sales are Celerys and Pentiums in that price range right now.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Unlockable Ben

eames posted:

The race is over! My DS1515+ died today from that clock signal bug.
More and more people reporting these failures on the synology forums. Expecting a RMA time of 4-5 weeks because their warehouses at capacity.

My DS415+ is still trucking but I feel I should probably just replace it now before it ends up failing (with my luck after the warranty expires). Ugh.

And tying the two topics here together I ought to see what synology has posted (if anything) regarding spectre and meltdown, hmm.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cygni posted:

Looks like the launch date for the rest of the Coffee Lake stack is February 14.

https://videocardz.com/74856/intel-...eta-14-february

WCCF has some stuff on the mobile CPUs coming:

https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-l...-gen-cpus-leak/

Those sub-$100USD 2/4 3.7ghz+ Pentiums will probably be popular, considering like half of the top Amazon CPU sales are Celerys and Pentiums in that price range right now.

STILL couldn't get a 8 core out, at all?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

This is the Coffee Lake release for the lower end CPUs. Higher end already launched. In all likelihood, Intel wont have an 8 core mainstream CPU until late this year, at the earliest. But probably 2019.

If you want 8 cores for whatever you are doing that uses 8 cores, consider AMD or x299.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Or go hog wild and buy a threadripper.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

That's cool, chips. Are people still expected to pair a celeron with a z370 board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Risky Bisquick posted:

That's cool, chips. Are people still expected to pair a celeron with a z370 board?

quote:

The new SKUs are expected to launch next month along with the budget tier H370/B360 and H130 parts

I dunno if Intel is still planning the "Z390" to launch with the other chipsets.

«422 »