Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So the consumer Coffee Lake boards are just recently starting to trickle into channel, but evidently still won't be available in volume until April. The B360, H310, and H370.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So the consumer Coffee Lake boards are just recently starting to trickle into channel, but evidently still won't be available in volume until April. The B360, H310, and H370.

So were the rumors of Z390 boards just bullshit?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My x299 motherboard has posted a new BIOS version with the following description

quote:

- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities
It was posted on Feb 1st. Is this the good fix or should I wait a while to see if they recall this one as well?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/21/17036626/intel-spectre-patch-chip-update-7th-8th-gen

I wouldn't trust it. Latest fixed microcode only came out a week ago.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Space Racist posted:

It's entirely possible they were going to be a real thing until Intel was forced to acknowledge their 10nm process just isn't ready for prime time yet. Who knows, they still might be - they could come out with three 'goosed' 8x50K SKUs just to tempt people waiting for the octacores. I think it'll ultimately depend on the Ryzen refresh and whatever AMD leaks about Ryzen II.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Space Racist posted:

VCZ still thinks Z390 is happening, but not soon.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Looks like they're starting to incorporate the Spectre-fixed BIOS' within Windows Update now:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/microsoft-will-soon-start-shipping-the-intel-spectre-microcode-fixes/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates

That's convenient, even if it is a really slow roll-out.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

That's convenient, even if it is a really slow roll-out.

Well, it's more "we can't abolish the OEM no matter how much they prove they deserve it (we tried 😭) so I guess we'll have to do those assholes' work for them".

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I can imagine the sheer amount of fingerpointing between MS and Intel against each other on Meltdown/Spectre

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Coffeelake on 100 / 200 series chipsets

No real surprise.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
That will be so bugfixed in microcode even faster than Meltdown did

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The modder says he couldn't get six-cores working right because of the power requirements, so it's not as big a deal as the article's title implies, since all it'd allow is for people with 100/200 chipsets to pick up cheap(er) 8350Ks if they didn't already have a 4C/8T CPU.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
There will be probably some cryptic technical reasons on why 6-core CFL won't work on 100/200 chipsets but power limit is definitely not one of them especially at stock.

eames
May 9, 2009

The story as told der8auer in some leaked german video of an Asus launch event (as far as I remember, so :salt:):

CFL chips use previously reserved/unassigned pins on the socket for Vcc/Vcore to handle higher power consumption.
Every Z170/Z270 motherboard manufacturers handled these unused socket pins differently, so some are indeed able to run CFL with just a BIOS update. Others assigned the reserved pins as sensing or even GND pins, meaning that inserting a CFL cpu into those sockets connects Vcc to GND through the processor and that's, uh, a problem.

The solution was a completely new chipset (Z370) as to not screw certain motherboard manufacturers over for something that's not really their fault (the assignment of the previously reserved pins).

If that's the real story then I don't think Intel feels the need to shut down these Z170/Z270 modifications.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AIDA64 just name-dropped Z390 in their release notes so it's definitely going to be a thing, eventually.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So I'm looking to get a new cpu and would like to not get gouged on it. I like high end gaming and photo editing. I also don't overclock.

My last cpu was a i5 4690.

Anything I should be looking at that's already out/coming out soon? I'd prefer an Intel chip.
My h97plus but it got stuck in this eternal reboot cycle and now can't recognize any of my ssd's so I'm kind of hosed with my current setup.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

8700 non k is good

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pastry Mistakes posted:

So I'm looking to get a new cpu and would like to not get gouged on it. I like high end gaming and photo editing. I also don't overclock.

My last cpu was a i5 4690.

Anything I should be looking at that's already out/coming out soon? I'd prefer an Intel chip.
My h97plus but it got stuck in this eternal reboot cycle and now can't recognize any of my ssd's so I'm kind of hosed with my current setup.

PC Building/Upgrading/Parts-picking Megathread Reloaded

OP is a little out of date but get a Z370 board with an i5-8400 or i7-8700K, DDR4 ram, etc. You will be surprised by RAM and GPU prices.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
An i5 4690 is still a pretty good CPU. Especially if you overclock it for some free performance. You'll be gaining sub-15% performance increases, if that. Up to you if that's worth the money or not.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I guess this might be why AMD didn't talk a lot of poo poo during the Spectre/Meltdown fiasco: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/13-critical-security-vulnerabilities-and-manufacturer-backdoors-discovered-in-amd-ryzen-processors.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I'd probably wait it out a bit, since this looks a whole lot like a smear campaign.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I resent the implication that Intel would do anything unethical

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I'd probably wait it out a bit, since this looks a whole lot like a smear campaign.

Yeah, this is absurdly suspicious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not saying it is Intel. Given the involvement of Viceroy Research, it seems like there's also the idea going around of trying to play the stock market.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Oh, you can bypass "Secure Boot" on Ryzen? That's pretty cool. So are there any negative effects?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Could hackers use this code to issue a vigilante update to make the system not vulnerable? I guess, the better question is, can AMD fix any of this with a patch?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking like this is a private hit job to manipulate stock with what is largely a nothingburger.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 14, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Looking like this is a private hit job to manipulate stock with what is largely a noyhingburger.

I'm inclined to agree.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If we see these patched out like normal bugs in a month or two, yeah nothing :burger:

Are these silicon-only fixes? I'm not thinking so....

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Potato Salad posted:

If we see these patched out like normal bugs in a month or two, yeah nothing :burger:

Are these silicon-only fixes? I'm not thinking so....

I don't even see the point in rushing to patch this stuff. All of these "exploits" require elevated privileges and/or physically flashing a vendor signed bios patch. It's like pointing out that if someone beats you up and steals your wallet they'll have access to your bank cards. No poo poo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The only one where they provided any proof, and the one where AMD would most stand to lose money, was the Epyc exploit; and that requires administrator privileges and a cooperative driver to attack the PSP. So companies like Microsoft and Wechat who are buying Epyc for their cloud backends will simply have to hire admins they can trust to not just hurrdurrrhurr install random drivers they find online. Such a loss.

It is mostly using a lot of features that work as intended to pull off a hack that is persistently loaded in firmware and would survive OS reinstalls. But to do that, you would need to know enough about the target system and have the skill to create an exploit-laden BIOS and either load it onto the system yourself or fool the admin into flashing it for you. The only real way to do that discreetly and remotely without a cooperative idiot would be using Spectre, but we've been talking about that for 70 days now without any real exploits in the wild.

"You can patch official BIOSes to do poo poo and possibly scam someone into flashing one" isn't really a manufacturer exploit. I used someone's patched BIOS and then patched my own later on my primary everyday machine in order to run OSX in the days when people used Chameleon (legacy bootloader) because Clover (UEFI bootloader) wasn't ready yet. That the machine won't insist on vendor-issued BIOS and can flash a file that was user-modified isn't necessarily a bug, and only counts as an exploit if the sack of meat and bones between the keyboard and floor is incompetent enough to misuse it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 15, 2018

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Microsoft has released a new version of their optional (only available via the Update Catalog) microcode update. It now contains updates for more CPUs:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

"Bad things can happen... if you give untrusted poo poo privileges!" Yeah no loving poo poo.

I wonder how heavily people will buy into this. I hope it falls flat and people just move on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel has now come out and said that Cascade Lake (the next Xeon/HEDT platform) and the new desktop product refresh due at the end of this year (Cannon Lake? Ice Lake?) will be hardware immune to Meltdown and Spectre v2.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12533/intel-spectre-meltdown

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anything known about it apart from the VNNI instructions coming with it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I've been out of the loop since I built my 4770K system a while back with having 2 kids and all.

What did I miss? Nanomachines?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So I've been out of the loop since I built my 4770K system a while back with having 2 kids and all.

Coffee lake (8000 series) boosted core counts to compete with Ryzen

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of MORE COREZ, an 8-core Coffee Lake machine showed up in the 3DMark database: https://videocardz.com/75458/intel-coffee-lake-s-processor-with-8-cores-spotted-for-the-first-time

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shaocaholica posted:

mewse posted:

Coffee lake (8000 series) boosted core counts to compete with Ryzen

Other than a higher core count, the performance is pretty comparable to the 4000 series, honestly. I didn't have a very good use case to replace my 2500k until recently with the 8700k. The 4770k is probably not worth replacing quite yet unless there is something specific you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh I’m not replacing the 4770. I just dumped a bunch of bad(?) money into upgrading it to more ram and bigger newer SSD.