Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«445 »
Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

movax posted:

As for challenging x86...eh, I donít think so, for RISC-V. At least not primarily; itíll insert itself into the market in other segments first.

Eating ARM's lunch in the super low end most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The Mill shall vanquish all lesser architectures.

as soon as they get around to actually making one, I'm sure they'll dominate the world

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BobHoward posted:

as soon as they get around to actually making one, I'm sure they'll dominate the world

Speaking of

Mill Computing posted:

What do you get by joining us?

In the beginning we were a sweat equity organization; no one received a salary; instead, contributors received units that converted to stock when we incorporated. At incorporation 45 people had worked on the Mill and became shareholders. After incorporation we are still a sweat equity organization; we now use a stock option system for sweat equity, and we still pay no salaries. Reward for work today is comparable to what it was before incorporation.

LOL they still can't attract VC so they can't afford to pay anyone

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Every time someone tries VLIW architectures for anything other than DSPs, it ends up being too much of a pain in the rear end to be worth it.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The Mill shall vanquish all lesser architectures.

Boy, are you guys going to have egg on your faces... a little birdie just told me that the Mill guys are in advanced negotiations to license the Intel Sufficiently Smart Compilerô from the Itanium team.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late

BobHoward posted:

LOL they still can't attract VC so they can't afford to pay anyone
Perhaps they're hoping HP will buy them out so the Machine can incorporate the Mill.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

lDDQD posted:

Every time someone tries VLIW architectures for anything other than DSPs, it ends up being too much of a pain in the rear end to be worth it.

Arenít the Tensilica Xtensas VLIW? Or is more that they are super customizable to add on instructions and people often add VLIW type stuff.

Somedays I wish I worked on projects with big enough budgets where playing with custom SIP is a requirement. Partially out of morbid curiosity as to what the toolchain and collateral is like for those cores and parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

movax posted:

Arenít the Tensilica Xtensas VLIW?

If those are the AMD TrueAudio thingies they could go up to 2x VLIW for DSP work.

e: LIW Longish Instruction Word

«445 »