Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Zotix posted:

If I wanted to start piecing together stuff for a 9900k what would be the ram I'd want to look at? I have an old ivy bridge, so I know I'd need to upgrade to ddr4. I'd want some good ram, as I'd be overclocking the cpu. I just haven't done a build in 5 years so the specifics to current chips I'm a bit out of date on.

3000/3200 is the sweet spot right $/performance right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
2666 is the new base RAM speed of the 8th and 9th gen CPUs, but if it's what you already have, use it.

We're suggesting 3000 and 3200 in the building thread, with 34-3600 only suggested if the kit is on a board's QVL sheet and priced right.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know if they're doing it or I'm wasting my time but I don't know if there's super high latency DDR4 or if it matters. Like 2666-19 or something high like that, I don't want to lead someone wrong, but maybe it's not like DDR3? I remember 1600-15 kits for that that were slower than normal 1333-8 kits.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cygni posted:

Cannon Lake is never launching on desktop, so you might be waitin' a while!

tbh, its getting to the point that I don't think we will ever see Ice Lake either.

I remember a few months ago Ashraf Eassa was suggesting Intel should scrap 10nm and move on to 7nm, is there any credence to that or was it just conjecture?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So where do they go once they hit 7nm?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In the short term at the high end, some combination of MCM, bigger dies, lower profits, and/or higher prices.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So where do they go once they hit 7nm?

Probably the bar to celebrate

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think I remember reading that 5nm is a hard wall thermoelectrically with existing technology, and the only thing they can really do short of some revolutionary tech and/or exotic materials is just keep adding cores and cache.

This article describes 3nm and smaller, but it seems to be overly optimistic: https://semiengineering.com/transistor-options-beyond-3nm/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 20, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm really out of the loop on how Intel is doing re: CPU technology and I always thought that Intel was the absolute king but this doesn't seem to be true anymore. What's a good and accessible (I'm not a hardware engineer) article I can read to get myself up to speed on what Intel did wrong and what everyone else did right?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm really out of the loop on how Intel is doing re: CPU technology and I always thought that Intel was the absolute king but this doesn't seem to be true anymore. What's a good and accessible (I'm not a hardware engineer) article I can read to get myself up to speed on what Intel did wrong and what everyone else did right?
Here's a non-technical overview of Intel's current woes: https://stratechery.com/2018/intel-and-the-danger-of-integration/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Llamadeus posted:

Here's a non-technical overview of Intel's current woes: https://stratechery.com/2018/intel-and-the-danger-of-integration/

Very cool, thanks for that!

I think it’s going to be a very interesting next couple of years in the cpu biz. I expect intel to do a few more frantic acquisitions to try and diversify or improve their portfolio.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wasn't one of the tricks in the bag still was gutting x86 or rather large sections devoted to compatibility?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

incoherent posted:

Wasn't one of the tricks in the bag still was gutting x86 or rather large sections devoted to compatibility?

No, that's not really an issue for modern processors. Space is taken up by cache and VLIW style execution units inside each core. If you take a look at a processor image with a block diagram over it you'll see that decode is a very small segment of the die.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is there any old simd hardware they can remove?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is there any old simd hardware they can remove?
The core adjacent to the iGPU is consistently 5c-10c lower on certain gens of intel CPUs.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Khorne posted:

The core adjacent to the iGPU is consistently 5c-10c lower on certain gens of intel CPUs.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Add more iGPUs?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

More cache please. Also gently caress iGpu

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Llamadeus posted:

I'm still kinda stunned at how good this is. Normally there's some inconsequential minor point that I can trash, but there's none of those. There's some things I could add, but the biggest would be Marvell.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean it works, but seeing a CPU being handled that way makes me cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx641tAZFH0&t=223s

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A cheap vice is the same cost as a good hammer. I don't believe anyone who says they'll never use a vice again. I bought a good vice and it's over 20 years old now and it's so useful to have for random jobs, it's exactly for holding and pressing stuff you can't with your hands.

Edit: Alternatively spend 300 dollars on a CPU, can't afford 30 dollars for a vice.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 22, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

craig588 posted:

A cheap vice is the same cost as a good hammer. I don't believe anyone who says they'll never use a vice again. I bought a good vice and it's over 20 years old now and it's so useful to have for random jobs, it's exactly for holding and pressing stuff you can't with your hands.

Edit: Alternatively spend 300 dollars on a CPU, can't afford 30 dollars for a vice.

Yeah, seriously. Can get a tiny vice that clamps to a table.

Even a drat c-clamp would be better than that hammer.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A cheap vice is a lot shittier than a cheap hammer.

The only problem is that guide being 3d printed, that's WTF level poo poo. I would have no qualms about whacking a CPU inside a machined delidder with a hammer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The 3D printed delidder works fine.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ACTUALLY,

a vice is a bad habit
a vise is a clamping device

(at least in american english)

i'm sorry, there was no reason for this post, it's a very common spelling, i just couldn't help myself

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cheap vice is relevant, it's the Intel thread :colbert:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

spending the time to 3d print a thing, then wacking a $350 fragile electronics part with a hammer on your garage floor to get a completely unnoticable 4% increased overclock

this hobby is so dumb

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Cygni posted:

spending the time to 3d print a thing, then wacking a $350 fragile electronics part with a hammer on your garage floor to get a completely unnoticable 4% increased overclock

this hobby is so dumb

Thank intel for being cheap assholes.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don’t look at it that way, I like to have lower temps so I can set fans at lower speeds and thus lower noise. That matters a lot more to me than overclocking.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Qualcomm claims Apple stole its source code and gave it to Intel https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/25/qualcomm-accuses-apple-of-giving-its-chip-secrets-to-intel.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, if they can prove it, that's certainly one way for Apple to lose its trillion dollar company status.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I’m really interested in this cause saying a company stole ip seems like a big deal whether or not it happened.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Intel Tock-Ticks Chipsets Back to 22nm

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

It's chipsets, not the CPUs themselves, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

limaCAT posted:

It's chipsets, not the CPUs themselves, right?
Yeah. According to the article, the chipsets are usually on the previous process compared to the CPUs, and being one more behind isn't in itself problematic.

Because of the issues with the 10nm process, they don't have enough capacity on their 14nm process so they are moving the chipset back to 22nm. They have the spare capacity for the 22nm process so they might as well use it, but it just shows to what degree the issues with the 10nm are screwing all their plans up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This means something like +1 or +2 watts for the platform at idle.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not a huge deal performance wise, there was a chart showing chipsets on 65nm for a long time after CPUs had surpassed that. I think it was from the 975 to the X79 they stayed on 65nm. The bigger surprise is it was worth doing, remaking anything on a new process isn't cheap.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

It's not a huge deal performance wise, there was a chart showing chipsets on 65nm for a long time after CPUs had surpassed that. I think it was from the 975 to the X79 they stayed on 65nm. The bigger surprise is it was worth doing, remaking anything on a new process isn't cheap.

California's really on their rear end about standby power utilization though, gotta save that 2w of vampire power

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

mystes posted:

Because of the issues with the 10nm process, they don't have enough capacity on their 14nm process so they are moving the chipset back to 22nm. They have the spare capacity for the 22nm process so they might as well use it, but it just shows to what degree the issues with the 10nm are screwing all their plans up.

The fact that they massively underestimated demand probably plays the biggest part of this. They knew 10 nm wasn't ready for prime time when they moved chipset production.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Paul MaudDib posted:

California's really on their rear end about standby power utilization though, gotta save that 2w of vampire power

Now imagine 2W x at least 10 million people. That’s 20MW of wasted energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

latinotwink1997 posted:

Now imagine 2W x at least 10 million people. That’s 20MW of wasted energy.

Now imagine it doesn't matter since morons run cryptocurrency miners non-stop to the tune of at least 42TW a year for bitcoin alone: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/17/bitcoin-electricity-usage-huge-climate-cryptocurrency

California should ban crypto mining first!