Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«468 »
B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Zotix posted:

If I wanted to start piecing together stuff for a 9900k what would be the ram I'd want to look at? I have an old ivy bridge, so I know I'd need to upgrade to ddr4. I'd want some good ram, as I'd be overclocking the cpu. I just haven't done a build in 5 years so the specifics to current chips I'm a bit out of date on.

3000/3200 is the sweet spot right $/performance right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

2666 is the new base RAM speed of the 8th and 9th gen CPUs, but if it's what you already have, use it.

We're suggesting 3000 and 3200 in the building thread, with 34-3600 only suggested if the kit is on a board's QVL sheet and priced right.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

I don't know if they're doing it or I'm wasting my time but I don't know if there's super high latency DDR4 or if it matters. Like 2666-19 or something high like that, I don't want to lead someone wrong, but maybe it's not like DDR3? I remember 1600-15 kits for that that were slower than normal 1333-8 kits.

Space Racist
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cygni posted:

Cannon Lake is never launching on desktop, so you might be waitin' a while!

tbh, its getting to the point that I don't think we will ever see Ice Lake either.

I remember a few months ago Ashraf Eassa was suggesting Intel should scrap 10nm and move on to 7nm, is there any credence to that or was it just conjecture?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

So where do they go once they hit 7nm?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In the short term at the high end, some combination of MCM, bigger dies, lower profits, and/or higher prices.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So where do they go once they hit 7nm?

Probably the bar to celebrate

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

I think I remember reading that 5nm is a hard wall thermoelectrically with existing technology, and the only thing they can really do short of some revolutionary tech and/or exotic materials is just keep adding cores and cache.

This article describes 3nm and smaller, but it seems to be overly optimistic: https://semiengineering.com/transis...ons-beyond-3nm/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at Sep 20, 2018 around 06:11

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm really out of the loop on how Intel is doing re: CPU technology and I always thought that Intel was the absolute king but this doesn't seem to be true anymore. What's a good and accessible (I'm not a hardware engineer) article I can read to get myself up to speed on what Intel did wrong and what everyone else did right?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm really out of the loop on how Intel is doing re: CPU technology and I always thought that Intel was the absolute king but this doesn't seem to be true anymore. What's a good and accessible (I'm not a hardware engineer) article I can read to get myself up to speed on what Intel did wrong and what everyone else did right?
Here's a non-technical overview of Intel's current woes: https://stratechery.com/2018/intel-...of-integration/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Llamadeus posted:

Here's a non-technical overview of Intel's current woes: https://stratechery.com/2018/intel-...of-integration/

Very cool, thanks for that!

I think itís going to be a very interesting next couple of years in the cpu biz. I expect intel to do a few more frantic acquisitions to try and diversify or improve their portfolio.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wasn't one of the tricks in the bag still was gutting x86 or rather large sections devoted to compatibility?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

incoherent posted:

Wasn't one of the tricks in the bag still was gutting x86 or rather large sections devoted to compatibility?

No, that's not really an issue for modern processors. Space is taken up by cache and VLIW style execution units inside each core. If you take a look at a processor image with a block diagram over it you'll see that decode is a very small segment of the die.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

Is there any old simd hardware they can remove?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Goonstone Champ x2

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is there any old simd hardware they can remove?
The core adjacent to the iGPU is consistently 5c-10c lower on certain gens of intel CPUs.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber

Clapping Larry

Khorne posted:

The core adjacent to the iGPU is consistently 5c-10c lower on certain gens of intel CPUs.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Add more iGPUs?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

More cache please. Also gently caress iGpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Llamadeus posted:

I'm still kinda stunned at how good this is. Normally there's some inconsequential minor point that I can trash, but there's none of those. There's some things I could add, but the biggest would be Marvell.

«468 »