Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Nobody Cares

Tortured By Flan

Coffee Jones posted:

How possible is this kind of per-process suspension on a PC?

in infrastructure management, this is quiescence

this technology, even as accelerated by specialized features implemented in hardware and controlled/integrated efficiently all the way up to the storage and memory stack on the OS and even further upward to applications like databases, is more than a decade old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Nobody Cares

Tortured By Flan

implementation of a hibernation feature on everything from Windows to Linux to even VxWorks is a matter of thinking hard about your hardware specs ahead of time and then looks really writing a couple of lines of code to make your implementation calls available to the user experience team

The only reason I'm not commenting on the capacity to do this on Android or iOS is because I do not deeply understand memory management on either platform, though I highly suspect that they are very efficient at doing this too

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

Microcenter has 9900Ks for $299.99 May be possible to get best buy to price match if you don't have one in your area, some people report success with a couple tries.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Microcenter has 9900Ks for $299.99 May be possible to get best buy to price match if you don't have one in your area, some people report success with a couple tries.
Thatís tempting. On paper itís more than twice the CPU as my Haswell Xeon E3. But in practice with an SSD, enough RAM and a decent enough GPU that Iíve got, I wouldnít get much out of it for what I do. If I need more CPU or the benefits of DDR4(losing ECC though), Iíll just steal my wifeís Skylake-K, heh.

Iím gonna hold out for DDR5 because overpaying for new memory platforms is a tradition of mine.

Iím just not used to having a computer having such a long useful lifespan. Being able to get a CPU that powerful for the same price I got my Q9450 back in the day(probably cheaper with inflation) and going ďnice, but pass...Ē is just absurd to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is really tempting me as an alternative to migrating my 9700k to a new motherboard this week.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

At $299 it's almost worthwhile to buy one and immediately send it away to Silicon Lottery for delidding and LM application.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bean counter loses patience with thin margin underperforming business
https://www.thestreet.com/investing...-for-10-billion

quote:

Semiconductor giant Intel is reportedly close to a deal to sell a memory-chip unit to South Korea's SK Hynix for about $10 billion.

Optane is safe though

quote:

Intel would sell its solid-state drive business in the United States and its factory in Dalian, China, which produces advanced flash memory, referred to as 3D NAND, the source told Reuters. The company would keep XPoint, its advanced memory technology unit.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

With Dalian sold off, the same bean counters can also go brag to their republican buddies that they retreated from China.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

is Tiger Lake released yet?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Intel rep told me today that PCIe 4.0 support is coming "in a few months or so" to their server cpus which puts them very squarely behind AMD

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm trying to figure out CPU specs. Looking to buy a server PowerEdge R630 that's listed as "24 core 2x E5-2678v3".

I can't find any mention of 2678 on Ark, so is it possible this is the E5-2670-v3? Any idea what the 8 signifies? Just trying to confirm cores/thread/VT-x/VT-d/max memory bandwidth. Pretty sure "24 core" is just the 2 packages with 12 cores.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hed posted:

I'm trying to figure out CPU specs. Looking to buy a server PowerEdge R630 that's listed as "24 core 2x E5-2678v3".

I can't find any mention of 2678 on Ark, so is it possible this is the E5-2670-v3? Any idea what the 8 signifies? Just trying to confirm cores/thread/VT-x/VT-d/max memory bandwidth. Pretty sure "24 core" is just the 2 packages with 12 cores.

Looks like a 12c/24t 2.5Ghz no-turbo chip: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon...-2678%20v3.html VT-x/d are present, and looks like a normal 2 channel / 2 slot DDR4 memory setup.

The "78" portion just identifies it as an OEM (non-retail) model that was probably made as a custom request for Dell.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ahh, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Managed to snag a cheap E5 1660 v3 to upgrade from my 5820K, these things definitely overclock right? Although I dunno when I can be bothered to do it as I've got an matx x99 setup thats kinda a pain to work on. I've still got a bigger nvme drive thats sat for a year because I just can't be bothered to pull the entire thing apart haha.