Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BurritoJustice posted:

If your onboard audio is bad you can buy an apple USB-C dongle and get better SNR than is audibly discernable.

And this is coming from someone with a $2000 DAC/amp/interface. (RME ADI-2 Pro Fs)

What does this mean in English? That audio is better over usb? Or it has to be USB-C or???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Trolling Thunder posted:

What does this mean in English? That audio is better over usb? Or it has to be USB-C or???

The digital to analog converter within Apple's USB-C dongle is good and the dongle costs $9 so buy it if you have a spare USB-C port and want better audio if yours is bad.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I’ve just always used the TOSLINK output to my external DAC — straightforward, no ground loops.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Inept posted:

The digital to analog converter within Apple's USB-C dongle is good and the dongle costs $9 so buy it if you have a spare USB-C port and want better audio if yours is bad.

ah, got it and thank you. that's a cool tip!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trolling Thunder posted:

an external dongle tends to have better sound quality because it's outside of the big metal box with all the other electronic components

it's not the USB-ness itself that makes it better, that's just the commonly used connector

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Trolling Thunder posted:

Sorry, I forget how silly in-hobby talk sounds out of hobby lol

it's a marvelously engineered device

At 100dB SINAD (signal including noise and distortion, basically how much clean range you get), it beats many audiophile products a hundred times the price. Many motherboards can be in the 40dB SINAD or worse depending on interference, and with the logarithmic formula for dB that is an insane difference.

You can use it with USB-C female to male-A adaptors if you buy the right one (they're technically against spec but it doesn't really matter for low power devices).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

If your onboard audio is bad you can buy an apple USB-C dongle and get better SNR than is audibly discernable.

And this is coming from someone with a $2000 DAC/amp/interface. (RME ADI-2 Pro Fs)
USB attached sound cards are a pretty wild market, because even a SB Play4 that's basically sold at-cost does a surprisingly good job for the price.
And it does a lot of things like noise cancellation and an external mute button that people who're suddenly video conferencing from home need.

Also, hi RME buddy! I have the HDSPE AIO along with the AI4S-192 AIO and AO4S-192 AIO boards.

movax posted:

I’ve just always used the TOSLINK output to my external DAC — straightforward, no ground loops.
Your external DAC presumably needs power from somewhere, so unless you've got separate wiring with a 6 foot groundspike isolated from anything else, it doesn't really matter.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 13, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/alder-lakes-cooling-problem-bend-again-around-5c-ilm-mod-for-intel-lga1700-socket/2/

Igor's Lab has discovered that if you take apart the CPU socket and put ~1mm washers there, you can greatly improve the mounting on the CPU and get better temps. Not sure if 6 C cooler is quite worth the risk of doing that, but it does illuminate that board makers probably should have done a better job of reinforcing the socket area.

That's pretty crazy, but it'd be really good to know if this applies to other Alder Lake CPUs on other motherboards and coolers of that's something that is specific to this setup?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ihmemies posted:

One thing I don't understand is Microcenter's prices. 12700 and 12900K are $100 off already. $349 and $549 respectively. Especially that 12700K prixe is extra stupid. Even if I add 24% VAT to it, it is still 100€ cheaper than in Finland. Here it is 479€..

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ded?storeid=181

Just look at that. Insane. With cheapest Z690 mobo and $20 discount it comes to $518. Jfc.

I don’t think Microcenter is loss leading in the sense of actually selling below cost, and they certainly come out ahead on the mobo+cpu bundles, enough people walk out with just the combo they couldn’t afford to lose money on it.

I think the cpu alone is basically at-cost for them and the mobos likely tend to have a reasonable margin built in, such that offering the bundle keeps them profitable, despite the bundle knocking another $20 or $30 off.

Do remember that Intels published prices are not the bottom of pricing, 1k unit tray pricing is likely the most expensive way Intel sells CPUs. 1k units sounds big, but that’s tiny for a company like Intel, it’s literally the smallest way they will bother selling directly, and thus probably has the highest initial sale price and margin. If you want less than 1k units, you have to buy it from a distributor or retailer, Intel won’t deal with you wanting five CPUs from them.

Bigger orders will drop below 1k tray pricing. The ballpark I’ve heard is that the big guys like Dell or HP pay something like half of 1k tray pricing. An i7 is likely a $150-175 purchase for them. Microcenter isn’t that big, but $300 for an i7 or whatever isn’t that big a markdown, that’s probably at-cost for them on that and they make their money on the mobo and on getting you into the store so you impulse buy a couple power strips or whatever.

Similarly, retail boxed units ordered by wholesalers likely go below 1k tray pricing because they’re not ordering them 1k at a time either. It’s super common to see retail units under tray price and there’s a couple middlemen making a cut too. The volume discounts are a more significant factor than tray vs retail box, big orders get massive discounts.

Same for hyperscalers. Go look up an 8180 platinum and Amazon isn’t paying anywhere close to that even when they’re not getting their own custom skus.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Plus it's just good brand building for them. They're gaining a reputation as the place to go if you want cheap CPUs, and people will be impressed enough by these deals that they may start favoring them over best buy in general.

I think them getting a steady flow of GPU shipments and selling them in a sensible manner (via lottery instead of overnight lines) has also helped their reputation a lot.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 13, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Shipon posted:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/alder-lakes-cooling-problem-bend-again-around-5c-ilm-mod-for-intel-lga1700-socket/2/

Igor's Lab has discovered that if you take apart the CPU socket and put ~1mm washers there, you can greatly improve the mounting on the CPU and get better temps. Not sure if 6 C cooler is quite worth the risk of doing that, but it does illuminate that board makers probably should have done a better job of reinforcing the socket area.

Welp, since I also had to either wait for a bracket or order a new AIO (this processor is a RECTANGLE?) I went ahead and ordered 100 M4 1.0mm nylon washers (and an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280.)

Thread, PM me if you want some free washers I guess?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Welp, since I also had to either wait for a bracket or order a new AIO (this processor is a RECTANGLE?) I went ahead and ordered 100 M4 1.0mm nylon washers (and an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280.)

Thread, PM me if you want some free washers I guess?
A few people have posted about getting memory controller errors after doing this so it may very well be that the chip just needs so much mounting pressure to ensure contact with all the pads. In that case why the hell didn't they just go with something like LGA2011 where it's supported from all four sides?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Well I guess I should've bothered to google translate the comments section first lol

Ah well, I'll give it a shot regardless

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp so lga1700 is a technical failure? Thermalright makes coolers with convex base, not flat. So is the shape of the cpu hs concave with lga1700? That would mean that Thermalright's coolers probably fit nicely.

If I have problems with my Noctua nh-d15 I'll try the Thermalright Frost Commander 140. It's basically a Taiwanese clone of nh-d15, but with most likely convex cooler base, since the brand really likes to make them not flat to ensure good contact with the HS.

Anyways, bought 12700K and Asus Z690 Strix A DDR4. Plan is to use 3600mhz cl15 ram with gear 1 mode. An Internet review said you need 4800mhz or faster ram if you want to use gear2 mode.

Price was expensive. Cpu 480€ and mobo 370€, total 850€ which is around $970. Well at least the price includes 24% VAT.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Welp so lga1700 is a technical failure? Thermalright makes coolers with convex base, not flat. So is the shape of the cpu hs concave with lga1700? That would mean that Thermalright's coolers probably fit nicely.

If I have problems with my Noctua nh-d15 I'll try the Thermalright Frost Commander 140. It's basically a Taiwanese clone of nh-d15, but with most likely convex cooler base, since the brand really likes to make them not flat to ensure good contact with the HS.

Anyways, bought 12700K and Asus Z690 Strix A DDR4. Plan is to use 3600mhz cl15 ram with gear 1 mode. An Internet review said you need 4800mhz or faster ram if you want to use gear2 mode.

Price was expensive. Cpu 480€ and mobo 370€, total 850€ which is around $970. Well at least the price includes 24% VAT.

If you can find it, the best ram for your build would be a 2x16GB kit of 3600c16 like the F4-3600C16D-32GTZ/N (n for neo is just a visual thing, make sure to not get the NC). You guarantee dual rank 8Gbit bdie which is the absolute best you can do for DDR4. You want to go two sticks because it's a daisy-chain motherboard. Basically every kit will hit 4000 with excellent timings if your IMC can handle it, and they can handle insanely high voltages (XMP spec kits with lifetime warranties at 1.6V) if you point a fan at them.

The real benefit of bdie is you can max out all the secondary and tertiary timings that need to be loose with other kits, and they can affect performance even more than your primaries.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ihmemies posted:

It’s nerd stuff that likely won’t impact you, honestly. Wouldn’t worry about it at all unless you are planning on cranking that twelve-seven to much higher power levels than you honestly should.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is annoying that despite a 360mm AIO rad I thermally throttle in Cinebench runs with the 12900k but I did a minor undervolt and unless I'm running a benchmark my temps never jump past 60-65 C in gaming. Not sure I want to do the washer mod just on that basis unless the lower temps let me bump the voltage enough to get 4 core boost clocks to 5.3 and all-core to 5.2 or something

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

If you can find it, the best ram for your build would be a 2x16GB kit of 3600c16 like the F4-3600C16D-32GTZ/N (n for neo is just a visual thing, make sure to not get the NC). You guarantee dual rank 8Gbit bdie which is the absolute best you can do for DDR4. You want to go two sticks because it's a daisy-chain motherboard. Basically every kit will hit 4000 with excellent timings if your IMC can handle it, and they can handle insanely high voltages (XMP spec kits with lifetime warranties at 1.6V) if you point a fan at them.

The real benefit of bdie is you can max out all the secondary and tertiary timings that need to be loose with other kits, and they can affect performance even more than your primaries.

I have 4x8GB b.die G.skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ. They are single rank so two kits of 2x8GB should equal dual rank...

I at least want to try how it works with 12700K and the Asus Z690 Strix A board. If it does not work I guess I have to buy more RAM. My plan was to use my old RAM and buy some cheap poo poo to my old 8700K board. The savings don't quite work out if I have to buy new expensive poo poo for my 12700K build.

Some cheap 16GB kit would be like 50-60€ used vs. F4-3600C16D-32GTZ/N kit is like 250€ new... So I could save up to 200€ if I got my old RAM to work with the new build.

Internet articles claimed that gear1 works only up to 3600Mhz, and afterwards you must use gear2 for higher memory clocks. And if you have to use gear2 you have to OC it to 4800Mhz at least to get better performance than you'd get at 3600MHz. For example this: https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-memory-gear-1-vs-gear-2-pc-gaming/

Cygni posted:

It’s nerd stuff that likely won’t impact you, honestly. Wouldn’t worry about it at all unless you are planning on cranking that twelve-seven to much higher power levels than you honestly should.

Thanks. I'll try how it works first and if there's a problem, I'll look at fixing the problem then later.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 14, 2022

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYsR0Upr1E

Der Bauer delids one of the upcoming 56-core chiplet Xeons.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

Sorry, I forget how silly in-hobby talk sounds out of hobby lol

it's a marvelously engineered device

At 100dB SINAD (signal including noise and distortion, basically how much clean range you get), it beats many audiophile products a hundred times the price. Many motherboards can be in the 40dB SINAD or worse depending on interference, and with the logarithmic formula for dB that is an insane difference.

You can use it with USB-C female to male-A adaptors if you buy the right one (they're technically against spec but it doesn't really matter for low power devices).

Still stupid AF to strip the DAC and jack out of the phone, but at least we got this nice product out of it! Thanks for the tip..

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I have 4x8GB b.die G.skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ. They are single rank so two kits of 2x8GB should equal dual rank...

I at least want to try how it works with 12700K and the Asus Z690 Strix A board. If it does not work I guess I have to buy more RAM. My plan was to use my old RAM and buy some cheap poo poo to my old 8700K board. The savings don't quite work out if I have to buy new expensive poo poo for my 12700K build.

Some cheap 16GB kit would be like 50-60€ used vs. F4-3600C16D-32GTZ/N kit is like 250€ new... So I could save up to 200€ if I got my old RAM to work with the new build.

Internet articles claimed that gear1 works only up to 3600Mhz, and afterwards you must use gear2 for higher memory clocks. And if you have to use gear2 you have to OC it to 4800Mhz at least to get better performance than you'd get at 3600MHz. For example this: https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-memory-gear-1-vs-gear-2-pc-gaming/

Thanks. I'll try how it works first and if there's a problem, I'll look at fixing the problem then later.

I wouldn't swap memory straight away, that's a great kit and bin. If only there was a T-topology board for Z690 you'd be able to run 4000+.

Gear 1 at 3600 is for a very poor IMC bin, it's more common to hit at least 4000 before having to move to gear 2.

I hear with four sticks on Z690 you're looking at around 3600 max with tweaking, won't be as easy but you should get the most of the CPU.

I'm sad that everyone has dropped T-topo because I have a very fancy kit of trident royal 4x8GB 4000C16 that happily hits super low latencies at 4000+ on my Z390 T-topo board.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Any news on Xeon or workstation version of Alder Lake? I'm thinking of upgrading my file server that also doubles as my workstation by passthrough GPU(s). Having 6-8 performance cores for the workstation VM (work or gaming, depending on day) and E-cores doing the Hypervisor OS duties and minor VM duties (plex, personal cloud services etc) seem like a good idea on paper.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1482417146944708612

DRM is the gift that keeps on giving taking

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It claims Intel removed some SGX feature the DRM required? Welp.

Anyways I'd say life is so much easier without DRM. It is possible to skip all menus, ads etc and watch the content without interruptions. Also you don't need to figure out if this or that works with this or that. Only gotcha is Dolby Vision - it does not really work with Windows, too proprietary.

When presented with a choice, it is hard to choose DRM, since it doesn't come with any tangible benefits.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PC playback has been a minefield since forever and I swear no one actually does it except for the few weirdos left wanting to build HTPCs

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
disc playback as a whole is pretty dead these days I think, outside maybe Redbox.

how is Netflix’s physical library these days? it seems pretty dead and a tough business model when a bunch of content is produced by the streaming providers themselves.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

disc playback as a whole is pretty dead these days I think, outside maybe Redbox.

how is Netflix’s physical library these days? it seems pretty dead and a tough business model when a bunch of content is produced by the streaming providers themselves.

I don't know how true it is but I heard someone say they had streamlined their disc library and gotten rid of a lot of the more obscure stuff.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah the few times I’ve looked the stuff I’ve been interested in wasn’t there, but I was looking at the Blu-ray catalog

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

It claims Intel removed some SGX feature the DRM required? Welp.

Anyways I'd say life is so much easier without DRM. It is possible to skip all menus, ads etc and watch the content without interruptions. Also you don't need to figure out if this or that works with this or that. Only gotcha is Dolby Vision - it does not really work with Windows, too proprietary.

When presented with a choice, it is hard to choose DRM, since it doesn't come with any tangible benefits.

SGX was an absolute security nightmare, with seemingly yearly exploits, so it makes sense it was removed.

Always sucks to lose features as an end consumer, however.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8diXDeTDCbo

Bus overclocking is a thing again on select Asus boards (and other high-end boards that have external clock generators). The boost here is pretty ridiculous. If this were available on a cheaper B660 board, it would make the 12400 an insane value buy, but instead it's only the overpriced z690 motherboards that seem to support this so far.

None of the previous issues that arose from bus overclocking apply to alder lake due to how discrete the various clocks are. You can adjust the memory and cache clocks back down to stable levels independently of the cpu clock, and stuff like the pcie clock is unaffected entirely. It's just a shame this can't be done on budget motherboards. It's kind of useless on those uber expensive boards. Who's gonna use a 12400 in an Apex?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 16, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that would explain the Celeron clocked to 4.4GHz

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8diXDeTDCbo

Bus overclocking is a thing again on select Asus boards (and other high-end boards that have external clock generators). The boost here is pretty ridiculous. If this were available on a cheaper B660 board, it would make the 12400 an insane value buy, but instead it's only the overpriced z690 motherboards that seem to support this so far.

None of the previous issues that arose from bus overclocking apply to alder lake due to how discrete the various clocks are. You can adjust the memory and cache clocks back down to stable levels independently of the cpu clock, and stuff like the pcie clock is unaffected entirely. It's just a shame this can't be done on budget motherboards. It's kind of useless on those uber expensive boards. Who's gonna use a 12400 in an Apex?

The independent PCIe clock is actually funny, because I've seen it instead marketed as another thing to tweak for higher performance. Gigabyte has it in their slides that you can OC the PCIe slots, and I'd love to see some benchmarks to see how stupid it is.

Maybe ASRock or someone can make a super budget board with an external clock generator that is cut down in other ways to hit the 150-200 target, would be killer unique product.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but I'm upgrading and shuffling components around and am in need of a Z390 mini ITX board for a 9700k. Anyone happen to have a used one sitting around before I pay crazy prices online?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

BurritoJustice posted:

Maybe ASRock or someone can make a super budget board with an external clock generator that is cut down in other ways to hit the 150-200 target, would be killer unique product.
Yeah, 33% perf uplift on a budget chip is pretty wild, but ultimately a curiosity if it requires a very expensive motherboard.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Holy poo poo he's running that 12400 at 5.2 all core and the power draw isn't that bad even.

If that makes it to reasonably priced b660 or h670 boards, overclocking is... Back?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VorpalFish posted:

Holy poo poo he's running that 12400 at 5.2 all core and the power draw isn't that bad even.

If that makes it to reasonably priced b660 or h670 boards, overclocking is... Back?

Somewhere deep beneath the earth, a brand named Abit rumbles for the first time in many years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Buildzoid explains the washer mod in his typical rambling manner better than anyone else I've seen, putting to rest some misconceptions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezauy4as4lI

tl;dw: The LGA1700 socket loading mechanism bends the CPU IHS due to the sheer amount of downward force it applies in the middle section of the CPU. It's not cooler mounting mechanisms bending the IHS, but the socket itself. This is mostly fine because most CPUs have some form of curve, and cooler cold plates are designed with that curve in mind. However, LGA1700 bends the IHS a bit more than most CPU retention/loading mechanisms, and some of the less curved cold plates can make poor contact with the center of the IHS. The washer mod relieves the loading pressure that causes the IHS to flex, thus resulting in better cold plate contact and better temps. Most coolers should work fine though since they are adequately curved out of the factory. Many people may see very little or no improvement at all because of this. The mod may also result in less reliable contact with the pins which can cause some issues (such as the memory issues some people were running into), though buildzoid speculates that new CPUs/sockets should work more reliably than doing this to a CPU/socket that has already been used for a while (due to the pins compressing somewhat while the cpu is installed)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
has anyone done any benchmarking of that new hotness 4c/8t intel wonder (12100 maybe?) and the new battlefield game that allegedly requires the extra threads? it was choking the 3300x but I'm curious.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

has anyone done any benchmarking of that new hotness 4c/8t intel wonder (12100 maybe?) and the new battlefield game that allegedly requires the extra threads? it was choking the 3300x but I'm curious.

Gamers Nexus has a review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDFCoGhZ4g - but they didn't cover BF2042

FarCry 6 might be the next closest CPU-heavy game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJNrcS28DM - and here's someone else's test of the i3 comparing it to the R5 3600 that includes BF2042

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJNrcS28DM - and here's someone else's test of the i3 comparing it to the R5 3600 that includes BF2042

They didn't even try to make these runs similar lmao