Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Ignoarints posted:

Does anybody know if any Windows program I use to view cpu input voltage? I'm not sure my bios is applying the changes to that I'm making. I'm getting strangeness during overclocking and I just noticed that it saves my settings (say I put in 2.0v) but on the left it says what it used to be (1.8v). That's not unusual for any other setting until I restart then it updates that left figure. It never does so for the CPU input voltage (vrin)

Also preferably one that showed cache multiplier as well, since Intel Extreme Tuning tells me that but says its at 40x, when its manually set to 34 in BIOS and turbo is disabled... if it were 40, it could account for some more weirdness

CPU-Z will show you chip voltage and also the clock multiplier. It will also update these as the clock rate changes due to the power-saving throttling features. The interface is super-intuitive to navigate. It's super light-weight and non-intrusive software too. It's a definite

Here, I took a screenshot of CPU-Z for you so you can see what all information is given.

Hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Woodsy Owl posted:

CPU-Z will show you chip voltage and also the clock multiplier. It will also update these as the clock rate changes due to the power-saving throttling features. The interface is super-intuitive to navigate. It's super light-weight and non-intrusive software too. It's a definite

Here, I took a screenshot of CPU-Z for you so you can see what all information is given.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I use CPU-Z though and unless I'm missing it I do not see cpu input voltage on there (just vcore). At any rate I'm actually fairly sure that setting is applying correctly, while I'd still like to verify it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
What's CPU-Z display for a Haswell with FIVR anyway?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
World's dullest CPU refresh.

Basically changes nothing.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 4, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I notice there's no new -k chip.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

World's dullest CPU refresh.

Basically changes nothing.

Well, I feel better about buying a haswell desktop and haswell laptop then!

Feels good anyway. :getin:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...It looks like the only difference is the slightly higher clock speed.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

PerrineClostermann posted:

...It looks like the only difference is the slightly higher clock speed.

And price :homebrew:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Well maybe they improved the tim :Idunno:

or the glue spacing or whatever the culprit really is. Seems like a really obvious and simply fix that people have complained about since day 1

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ignoarints posted:

Well maybe they improved the tim :Idunno:

or the glue spacing or whatever the culprit really is. Seems like a really obvious and simply fix that people have complained about since day 1

They don't need to improve the TIM or glue because the processors work perfectly well within spec only weird overclockers (like me) are complaining about it.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

ShaneB posted:

They don't need to improve the TIM or glue because the processors work perfectly well within spec only weird overclockers (like me) are complaining about it.

Yeah I know. And overclocking represents a extremely small margin of sales I'm sure. But there is a disproportionate amount of negative press on it. Whether that has a real effect on sales, I dunno. It's just that fix is sooooooooo simple. Less glue! And you could say like "33.43% more thermal efficiency!!!!1! - Intel"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ignoarints posted:

Yeah I know. And overclocking represents a extremely small margin of sales I'm sure. But there is a disproportionate amount of negative press on it. Whether that has a real effect on sales, I dunno. It's just that fix is sooooooooo simple. Less glue! And you could say like "33.43% more thermal efficiency!!!!1! - Intel"

I wouldn't be surprised if they were keeping that as a backup option, since they're so far ahead. If they run into issues or AMD starts threatening them (HAH!), they could just release higher-clocked models with soldered TIM and cover a year's worth of IPC improvements in speed.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd honestly be okay with them charging another $100 for an i7 4790X, just as long as they didn't disable any ISA features (TSX) and the adhesive issue was fixed. But of course that will never happen when they can try to force people to spend another $500 on an obsolete platform instead. I don't want lots of cores I just want four fast Haswell cores :(

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were keeping that as a backup option, since they're so far ahead. If they run into issues or AMD starts threatening them (HAH!), they could just release higher-clocked models with soldered TIM and cover a year's worth of IPC improvements in speed.

Oh man. Yeah. :(

Oh well, at least I "fixed" mine. The temperature drop is unbelievable. Before, even at 4.0 GHz the temperatures were uncomfortable on the stock cooler. According to one dude who exhaustively tested it, the actual TIM itself isnt even all that important it's just getting the heat spreader closer to the chip. Which just means less glue. So all they'd have to do to respond to a hypothetical AMD attack is just reduce the glue and crank up the multiplier and viola, nearly free effective competition. And even if the TIM was changed that's going to be an very small cost.

Come on AMD put on some pressure

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Why is the i3 running on the HD4000 instead of the HD4400 in the refresh? :psyduck:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Hog Butcher posted:

Why is the i3 running on the HD4000 instead of the HD4400 in the refresh? :psyduck:
It means unspecified HD 4000-series, not literally HD 4000.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are product refreshes an actual stepping? Or do they just bin a bunch of higher performing chips over a period of time and sell them off once they accumulate enough?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Popete posted:

Are product refreshes an actual stepping? Or do they just bin a bunch of higher performing chips over a period of time and sell them off once they accumulate enough?
In a "platform refresh" you typically rebin and reprice your lineup and pair it with an updated platform, if available. Intel didn't do a refresh for Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, they just trickled out new models as their yields increased which is business as usual. I think the Haswell refresh was initially planned when Broadwell was planned to be soldered-on only, leaving a year-long hole in Intel's socketed lineup. Since Broadwell is going to be socketed too now there isn't as much relevance to a Haswell refresh, it is probably still happening only because of the yield issues with Broadwell. Expect to see updated Haswell models paired with 9-series chipset motherboards for a true "platform refresh." I also don't know if the 9-series was initially planned for release along with the Haswell refresh or with Broadwell, they might have done a major plan change there too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've been meaning to ask, what is TSX and is it useful enough in a typical home gaming PC to give up overclocking for?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I've been meaning to ask, what is TSX and is it useful enough in a typical home gaming PC to give up overclocking for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_Synchronization_Extensions

It helps with efficiency of multi-threading by making it easier to juggle writes without interfering with other threads.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
TSX is not a gaming feature. It's meant to improve the performance of heavily-threaded code, and that's not games.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does this mean that there isn't likely to be any significant upgrades in CPU in a theoretical "Surface Pro 3"?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Ragingsheep posted:

Does this mean that there isn't likely to be any significant upgrades in CPU in a theoretical "Surface Pro 3"?
There will be at least some 15W Broadwell CPUs launching in Q4 2014, per the latest roadmap. Broadwell is Intel's first 14nm CPU, die shrinks usually offer significant performance and power benefits.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alereon posted:

There will be at least some 15W Broadwell CPUs launching in Q4 2014, per the latest roadmap. Broadwell is Intel's first 14nm CPU, die shrinks usually offer significant performance and power benefits.

14nm is about ~30 silicon atoms laid end to end :wow:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

14nm is about ~30 silicon atoms laid end to end :wow:

I wonder how much engineering they had to do to deal with quantum effects at that level...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

PerrineClostermann posted:

I wonder how much engineering they had to do to deal with quantum effects at that level...

Oh, a little here and there. What you might call a "smidgen," a "tad," or a "skosh" depending upon your extraction.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm a little late to the de-lidding conversation, but I can't get over how absurd it is that the first step for some people after buying one of the most technologically advanced components in the world is to go at it with a vice, hammer, and two-by-four. It's such a ridiculous juxtaposition.

I've never been tempted by de-lidding since I don't overclock anymore, but if it's that easy, it's so tempting to try it.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Chuu posted:

I know I'm a little late to the de-lidding conversation, but I can't get over how absurd it is that the first step for some people after buying one of the most technologically advanced components in the world is to go at it with a vice, hammer, and two-by-four. It's such a ridiculous juxtaposition.

I've never been tempted by de-lidding since I don't overclock anymore, but if it's that easy, it's so tempting to try it.

It was ridiculous to me too

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

On the upside, Haswell-E is looking to be introduced and launched sooner than expected (if true)

quote:

Intel Corp. has decided to speed up introduction of its next-generation microprocessors and platforms designed for enthusiasts who demand maximum performance. The new Core i7 Extreme “Haswell-E” chips along with Intel X99-based mainboards will be introduced at Computex Taipei 2014 in early June, several months before planned originally, according to sources with knowledge of Intel’s plans

Intel did not comment on the news-story.
:eyepop:

I've been looking to build a Haswell-E audio/gaming rig this year and if this is true, then all the better. Now if only Nvidia could have their Maxwell GPUs out by then...

VVV It is, but they're still 28nm like the rest of the 700 series and not 20nm.

Midee fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 18, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Midee posted:

I've been looking to build a Haswell-E audio/gaming rig this year and if this is true, then all the better. Now if only Nvidia could have their Maxwell GPUs out by then...

Isn't the GTX 750 Maxwell? Are they introducing a flagship Maxwell chip sometime soon? I could have sworn reading Maxwell was low power usage / mobile focused.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Note that Haswell-E requires DDR4 memory.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

People talking about "waiting for Maxwell" now are waiting for the 20nm process change. Which is scheduled for ~Q3, which -- with the way process changes are getting more and more difficult -- means early 2015, maybe.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

Note that Haswell-E requires DDR4 memory.

I'm not too interested in Haswell-E, but it might knock prices for current high end stuff around a bit. DDR4 is going to be a tougher sell, but even if people just see it as a premium option, the 'newer technology' aspect should put some price pressure on DDR3.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

I'm not too interested in Haswell-E, but it might knock prices for current high end stuff around a bit. DDR4 is going to be a tougher sell, but even if people just see it as a premium option, the 'newer technology' aspect should put some price pressure on DDR3.

I for one certainly won't be making the same early adopter mistake I made with DDR3 ram. There's nothing I regret more than blowing 2 grand on Ram.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I for one certainly won't be making the same early adopter mistake I made with DDR3 ram. There's nothing I regret more than blowing 2 grand on Ram.

:O

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Lord Bude posted:

Okay, you have to tell us how much RAM you got for 2000 dollars. :allears:

(Also what the exchange rate was then, but given it was when DDR3 was still new this will be hilarious no matter what.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Okay, you have to tell us how much RAM you got for 2000 dollars. :allears:

(Also what the exchange rate was then, but given it was when DDR3 was still new this will be hilarious no matter what.)

I got 8gb of ddr3 1600 ram. Drr3 ram was so new that I had to wait for the first ever shipment to enter the country. This was in early 2008. I also spent $700 on a stupid ROG motherboard with an nvidia chipset that could support both ddr3 ram and the Quad SLi 9800GX2's I also blew another 2 grand on.

As I recall it was the only mobo on the market that could do both, and it died on me after 2 years.

I was a young stupid Travis back then.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Lord Bude posted:

God drat, I thought $300 for 6 gigs of DDR3 to go with my i7-920 in November 2008 was bad, but jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

God drat, I thought $300 for 6 gigs of DDR3 to go with my i7-920 in November 2008 was bad, but jesus.

I was really hoping for "well it was 32GB at least" but 8... I'm sorry Lord Bude.