Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ohgodwhat posted:

Not actually a problem:

How many Skylake laptops have PCMCIA? How many have USB?

edit: To be clear since the point tends to fly over your head, if this wasn't possible with USB, this attack vector likely would not exist for many new laptops. That previous standards were also bad isn't exactly a defense.

Nor would it be inconceivable for manufacturers to take a bit more care with the design to make such functionality available, but not turned on by default. Will this affect a huge number of people? Probably not, but there's really no excuse for continuing to make the same bad decisions.

But again, it isn't actually a problem. With a regular rear end USB port on any laptop, you can already build a malicious USB device that can inject malware and even read out significant sections of memory. That is a fundamental flaw in how USB devices work, since it "trusts" that devices are what they say they are and won't try to be malicious.

There is nothing "bad decision" about having this functionality.

You're just going to have to put on your big boy pants and accept that physical access has always meant there's nothing you can really do about security anymore. The only way to prevent this would be to make it nearly impossible to have external devices to use with your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

fishmech posted:

You mean the sort of physical attacks that you could do with most laptops with say, Thunderbolt, or Firewire, or ExpressCard, and I think maybe PCMCIA? That is, attacks that let you extract a bunch of information from the running system and allow for the possibility of injecting some manner of malicious executable code.

Isn't that why skylake brought VT-d mainstream? IOMMU these things off, so these attacks don't work anymore.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

crazypenguin posted:

Isn't that why skylake brought VT-d mainstream? IOMMU these things off, so these attacks don't work anymore.
I don't see any mainstream OS using IOMMUs for isolation (--edit: outside virtualization, anyway). Is that Intel's intention, or just an assumption?

--edit: Actually, nevermind, how I understand some of the Intel IOMMU documentation, this happens automagically on Linux?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 14, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

fishmech posted:

But again, it isn't actually a problem. With a regular rear end USB port on any laptop, you can already build a malicious USB device that can inject malware and even read out significant sections of memory. That is a fundamental flaw in how USB devices work, since it "trusts" that devices are what they say they are and won't try to be malicious.

There is nothing "bad decision" about having this functionality.

You're just going to have to put on your big boy pants and accept that physical access has always meant there's nothing you can really do about security anymore. The only way to prevent this would be to make it nearly impossible to have external devices to use with your computer.

I disagree that direct JTAG access is no more concerning of an attack vector than "normal" USB, mediated by the OS which at least in theory can mitigate attack from said devices. I'm sure there's bad poo poo there too but again, the policy shouldn't be to grow the attack surface.

Please continue to be unnecessarily hostile though, it really adds to the conversation.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't see any mainstream OS using IOMMUs for isolation (--edit: outside virtualization, anyway). Is that Intel's intention, or just an assumption?

OSX uses IOMMU to completely isolate DMA peripherals since 10.8.2 (2012) provided the CPU supports it.

Windows 10 doesn't use IOMMU but it at least has a simple mitigation for DMA attacks - it just turns off DMA for newly connected devices when the screen is locked. Good enough :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ohgodwhat posted:

I disagree that direct JTAG access is no more concerning of an attack vector than "normal" USB, mediated by the OS which at least in theory can mitigate attack from said devices. I'm sure there's bad poo poo there too but again, the policy shouldn't be to grow the attack surface.

Please continue to be unnecessarily hostile though, it really adds to the conversation.

You can disagree all you want, it's still true. The attack surface hasn't grown in the least. OSes being protected in theory doesn't matter, in theory you'll have a hard time using this thing as well.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I was wondering when fishmech was going to valiantly defend intel for what is a grievous fuckup especially on a product line that makes up the vast majority of their sales volume

at least workstations and server racks aren't affected, whew :tif:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Leaving JTAG interfaces open on consumer hardware via USB port seems like a bad idea IMO.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
If someone has physical access to your pc/laptop, there are many ways you're already hosed.

The JTAG/USB exploit makes it "many + 1" ways you're hosed

So both camps are right.

Now everyone kiss each other on the lips!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

If someone has physical access to your pc/laptop, there are many ways you're already hosed.

The JTAG/USB exploit makes it "many + 1" ways you're hosed

So both camps are right.

Now everyone kiss each other on the lips!
the thought of fishmech kissing anyone :barf:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There are a lot of gnarly attack surfaces these days. This is just a pretty deep one and Intel should really do whatever they can to stop it.

Reminder that every time a security group comes up with a new smart way to reduce a system's attack surface it takes 10+ years to catch on if it does at all. The vast majority of Linux systems still don't have W^X even though OpenBSD has had it for 13 years and Windows has since XP SP2.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

Leaving JTAG interfaces open on consumer hardware via USB port seems like a bad idea IMO.

Accessing the debug port can be extremely difficult to neigh impossible depending on how the board is designed. Probably even worse on these tiny ultra book boards. And you absolutely need debuggabilty. I mean it shouldn't be open to just anyone but having it over a port that is already there isn't a terrible idea on its own

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the thought of fishmech kissing anyone :barf:

he can kiss my butt :mrgw:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I need to buy a new rig and I just cannot pick between a Z270 + 7700k and a 2011v3 + 6800k. 4 vs 6 threads. 3.4Ghz base vs 4.2base

HELP ME DECIDE !

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

redeyes posted:

I need to buy a new rig and I just cannot pick between a Z270 + 7700k and a 2011v3 + 6800k. 4 vs 6 threads. 3.4Ghz base vs 4.2base

HELP ME DECIDE !

Games?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I bought a RX480 recently. I would like to game a little. It's not my primary task though. I tend to do a lot of video compression and other various workstation type workloads which are limited by cores. I'm heading towards the Z270+7700k because I have a rack mount case and I cannot figure out how to properly cool a 140w 6800k with overclock. Maybe someone has some ideas.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
what was your previous rig? You may end up saving money if you get a newer revision of an older Z170 (to avoid BIOS update hassle) or X99 motherboard. to be honest, if you went for a Skylake (6700K) or Haswell-E (5820K) CPU too, they'd probably be much better deals anyways. It's a steep $$$$$$$$ incline to reach those last few hundred hertz (or in broadwell-E's case, market segmentation) for consumers, and there's currently no practical difference between generations unless literal seconds make or break your work.

redeyes posted:

overclock.

stop using a rackmount case unless you literally live in a server room and don't have space

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

redeyes posted:

I bought a RX480 recently. I would like to game a little. It's not my primary task though. I tend to do a lot of video compression and other various workstation type workloads which are limited by cores. I'm heading towards the Z270+7700k because I have a rack mount case and I cannot figure out how to properly cool a 140w 6800k with overclock. Maybe someone has some ideas.

I forgot to directly answer your question. If you know for sure that 6 cores will get your stuff done faster then it's a no-brainer for the 6800K assuming you followed the second part of my first half of my double post and stopped using a rackmount case. If you're ok with losing however many minutes from NOT HAVING LATEST, GREATEST, MOST PRODUCTIVITIEST COMPUTER then please follow the first half of the first half of my double post too

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

I cannot figure out how to properly cool a 140w 6800k with overclock. Maybe someone has some ideas.
Stick a Dark Rock Pro 3 or a Noctua NH-D15 on it.

--edit: And yeah, rackmount, what the hell.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I forgot to directly answer your question. If you know for sure that 6 cores will get your stuff done faster then it's a no-brainer for the 6800K assuming you followed the second part of my first half of my double post and stopped using a rackmount case. If you're ok with losing however many minutes from NOT HAVING LATEST, GREATEST, MOST PRODUCTIVITIEST COMPUTER then please follow the first half of the first half of my double post too

I currently have a 6600k with z170 mobo running at 4Ghz. It's not bad at all but it is definitely slower than an i7. Then while I was looking to upgrade to the i7 I figure I would upgrade the mobo... then I noticed the 6800k and the price difference in total is around $150 bux. Truth is I don't know if 4.8ish Ghz x4 cores would be a better idea than 6x 4.0Ghz cores (all overclocked). Bottom line, I am going to sell my current 6600k+z170.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Stick a Dark Rock Pro 3 or a Noctua NH-D15 on it.

--edit: And yeah, rackmount, what the hell.

Hey man, rackmount is super industrial looking. I like it. It can't really deal with high end gaming / oc'd PCs. though. I thought about getting rid of the case and going opposite.. maybe a open air wall mount case.

I do tend to flip systems about every year or 2 so I was thinking maybe I should just go with the cheaper option and wait until Intel has something truely better assuming Ryzen gives them some competition.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 15, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Water cool :getin:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A 5U case would at least have the kind of heatsink headroom people have come to expect of standard workstation/Steamstation cases worth dollars.

It would take up as prodigious amounts of desk and/or wallet space as you'd expect it to take up in its proper place in the rack, however.

Then again, I'm the kind of person that would, after everything else, probably still buy another Silverstone PS07 for a new build because there's something deeply wrong with me.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 15, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

redeyes posted:

Truth is I don't know if 4.8ish Ghz x4 cores would be a better idea than 6x 4.0Ghz cores (all overclocked). Bottom line, I am going to sell my current 6600k+z170.

How familiar are you with BIOS settings? Please test your workload with only 3 or 2 cores running and check that against how quick you get your stuff done now. a 7700K (clockspeed aside) would essentially only add hyperthreading to your four cores, and that's not actually adding more cores, to be perfectly obvious.

E: warning: this test might not help you with anything at all because some applications may not be designed to scale with [fewer]/[more than a certain number] of cores anyways

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 15, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I can't fit anything except a 120mm x 1 radiator :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

Hey man, rackmount is super industrial looking. I like it. It can't really deal with high end gaming / oc'd PCs. though. I thought about getting rid of the case and going opposite.. maybe a open air wall mount case.
If it's about the terrible look of many cases, there's plenty of plain ones out there. A reason why I opted for the Corsair 550D back then. If I had to get a new case now, it'd be the NZXT S340.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

If it's about the terrible look of many cases, there's plenty of plain ones out there. A reason why I opted for the Corsair 550D back then. If I had to get a new case now, it'd be the NZXT S340.

Thats actually a really nice case. Any ideas on an open air type? With all the RGB leds on everything it could be nice to wall mount something and have the pretty lights.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

Any ideas on an open air type?
Nope not really. I poked around a bit on GIS and ran into travesties like this:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/aerocool_strike-x_air_review/2

Also, the whole RGB stuff kind of pisses me off.

--edit: I guess with the use of PCIe ribbon extensions, you might be able to tack components to the wall naked.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 15, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

smfh if you aren't using a 3U or taller for gaming in rackmount cases

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
These guys have some nice, non stupid XTREME open chassis. The vertical one is pretty nifty.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/

Not cheap but they can also build to spec if need be.

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 15, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Anyone remember this? -

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2008/11/12/antec-skeleton/3

I remember really wanting one at the time, until I read the reviews. Back then I was probably rocking either an E6600 or Q9300 in a Coolermaster Cavalier case (black and purple). Can't remember the motherboard. Probably a Gigabyte with large pipes.

Also around at the time were expensive perspex semi-open cases. Can't remember the brand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

apropos man posted:

Anyone remember this? -

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2008/11/12/antec-skeleton/3

I remember really wanting one at the time, until I read the reviews. Back then I was probably rocking either an E6600 or Q9300 in a Coolermaster Cavalier case (black and purple). Can't remember the motherboard. Probably a Gigabyte with large pipes.

Also around at the time were expensive perspex semi-open cases. Can't remember the brand.

Thermaltake perhaps?

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002732

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

apropos man posted:

Might have been the X48-DQ series. It had pipes all over the place. I was fixing up a friend's computer earlier today that housed my old X48-DQ6 and Q9450. When I got home I looked the receipts up in Gmail, they were from beginning of 2008. :psypop:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

redeyes posted:

I can't fit anything except a 120mm x 1 radiator :(

I require the largest radiators
https://youtu.be/6hFPDAASBZw

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nope not really. I poked around a bit on GIS and ran into travesties like this:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/aerocool_strike-x_air_review/2

Also, the whole RGB stuff kind of pisses me off.

--edit: I guess with the use of PCIe ribbon extensions, you might be able to tack components to the wall naked.

Aerocool makes really pretty stuff and some hideously ugly stuff and that definitely fits in the latter category.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This is probably what I am going to end up getting. Really neat idea and it fits with my wall mounted 49" Samsung quantum dot TV/Monitor I am not into water cooling because it scares the hell out of me. On the other hand, I don't want a vacuum cleaner at ear level on my wall. I suppose i better read up on water because that is my best option.

Here is my setup:

redeyes fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 16, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

This is probably what I am going to end up getting. Really neat idea and it fits with my wall mounted 49" Samsung quantum dot TV/Monitor I am not into water cooling because it scares the hell out of me. On the other hand, I don't want a vacuum cleaner at ear level on my wall. I suppose i better read up on water because that is my best option.

We have a thread for you, join us on the wet side

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PerrineClostermann posted:

We have a thread for you, join us on the wet side

Thanks, I will join the golden shower.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

Thanks, I will join the golden shower.

Something something make water cooling great again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Late to the case recommendation party, but if you were still considering an enclosed metal box then Lian Li makes a lot of high-end minimalist ones from aluminum.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 16, 2017