Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

^The potential use for nVME powered Optane storage in a Consumer sense. If it ever actually comes to light as a consumer product.

Theoretically if you get the performance good enough and it does fill in a new spot on the pyramid, you could go with smaller DRAM in a system and use Optane to provide even more memory. Maybe even drop other storage mediums completely. Theoretically.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it performing as fast as a current SSD yet?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
The thing about cloud backups is that they are not magical and "cloud" companies go out of business and have "oops" incidents as well. Google is not well known for supporting their services for a long time so your free unlimited backups might change into "come get your poo poo we are shutting down the service in 3 months" at any time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NihilismNow posted:

The thing about cloud backups is that they are not magical and "cloud" companies go out of business and have "oops" incidents as well. Google is not well known for supporting their services for a long time so your free unlimited backups might change into "come get your poo poo we are shutting down the service in 3 months" at any time.

“And we won’t let you pay us to mail out a drive with your data on it because we’re Google and gently caress you.”

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NihilismNow posted:

there's also the part where tape drive data vaporizes from weak electromagnetism, hard drives just break by themselves, optical media adhesive dissolves

pls kickstart the digital bronze etching project

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there's also the part where tape drive data vaporizes from weak electromagnetism, hard drives just break by themselves, optical media adhesive dissolves

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2933478/storage/m-disc-optical-media-reviewed-your-data-good-for-a-thousand-years.html

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it performing as fast as a current SSD yet?
The one they demo'd at the 2015 IDF did 464K IOPS random write which is supposed to be around 2GB/s and got people excited. The one they demo'd at the 2016 IDF was doing around 2GB/s still but they only had it doing a sequential write which is much less exciting but still as good or better than the best current M2 SSD's (I think they get around 1.5GB/s sequential write).

Its looking like 1st gen Optane consumer oriented products will be faster than current flash ones but not nearly as fast as the original marketing and announcements were suggesting and will be very expensive. Might be worth it just to stick with current cheaper flash SSD's until Intel gets either better performing and/or cheaper parts out. They were originally already supposed to be out by now but I guess they're all going to data centers or something.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
As I recall the capacities were really low too, to the point where NVRAM is a better option for the moment.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I have a Z270 mobo - is creating an IRST raid5 array in UEFI treated the same way as creating it in windows using the IRST windows manager? Or will the Windows-created one be some lovely software option compared to the UEFI-made option?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Or maybe we can look to Uri Geller for his advanced tele-magnetic powers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uri_Geller#2013_BBC_documentary

quote:

The documentary claimed Geller became a "psychic spy" for the CIA, was recruited by Mossad, and worked as an "official secret agent" in Mexico, being a frequent guest of President José López Portillo. In the film, Geller claims to have erased floppy discs carried by KGB agents by repeatedly chanting the word "erase".

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

zegermans posted:

I have a Z270 mobo - is creating an IRST raid5 array in UEFI treated the same way as creating it in windows using the IRST windows manager? Or will the Windows-created one be some lovely software option compared to the UEFI-made option?

I believe that they are the same. Software RAID in Windows would be Storage Spaces, which I would not call "lovely" personally because I've been using the parity mode for a few months and have had zero issues with about the same performance as an ICH-controlled RAID 5.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eletriarnation posted:

I believe that they are the same. Software RAID in Windows would be Storage Spaces, which I would not call "lovely" personally because I've been using the parity mode for a few months and have had zero issues with about the same performance as an ICH-controlled RAID 5.

The part that is iffy on Storage Spaces is when/if something goes wrong. In the past its been drat near impossible to deal with. I assume the parity mode is still using block storage on all drives so if you lose 2 drives you get no data. I get this is the same as normal RAID 5 but in this day and age, how in gently caress are people still using RAID 5 for anything?! There are so many other better options.

Maybe the Anniversary update made SS better. I dunno.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I understand what you mean in a general sense, but I'm only running a 3x3TB array and am not very concerned about performance since it's just for media storage. The closest alternative that I can see would be to run a 2x6TB RAID 1, which would have been substantially more expensive. Going to a 4-drive RAID 10 or 6 would also be more expensive and would be inconvenient given the number of drive bays I have available. Lastly, none of the contents are irreplaceable - it would just be very inconvenient to lose the whole array, not catastrophic. Given all that, what would be the better option?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 22, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

redeyes posted:

The part that is iffy on Storage Spaces is when/if something goes wrong. In the past its been drat near impossible to deal with. I assume the parity mode is still using block storage on all drives so if you lose 2 drives you get no data. I get this is the same as normal RAID 5 but in this day and age, how in gently caress are people still using RAID 5 for anything?! There are so many other better options.

Maybe the Anniversary update made SS better. I dunno.
IIRC the parity space assumes the layout of the pool during creation, unless you explicitly specify the geometry on command line. So if you have four disks in the pool, the parity space will become 3+1. Add another two disks, the slabs will spread out, but it'll keep being 3+1. I'm not sure how the added rebalancing option will affect it, because if you happen to yank one more disk than the parity space geometry, you have a problem.

Too bad ReFS didn't take chances with being a "new"* filesystem, bump up the default block size and just do full stripe writes a la ZFS.

(*: It started as NTFS with a lot of code yanked out of it.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 22, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wish they charged less for their 'desk' cases. I could give a gently caress less about the ones with motors that raise and lower the surface on cue, but the ones that can house two different systems side by side would be nice.

I would love to do my next build as a desk case but yeah there don't seem to be any under a thousand freaking dollars

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://gfycat.com/GraciousActiveCoral

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Good brand.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Always use full-fat thermal compound for a more satisfying mouth-feel

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

prevent heat from getting to the cpu in the first place, smart thinking

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just wait until the Miracle Whip fanbois start pouring into this thread and claiming that Helmann's never innovates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People think that Best is the same stuff, but it’s actually good for another 2% overclock. :ssh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Maybe I am missing the joke, but that seems like a nice animation for....What exactly? Is it just completely out of order and whoever made it was either misinformed or just as a joke? Or are the gluing their CPU into the socket so it may never leave?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EdEddnEddy posted:

Maybe I am missing the joke, but that seems like a nice animation for....What exactly? Is it just completely out of order and whoever made it was either misinformed or just as a joke? Or are the gluing their CPU into the socket so it may never leave?

It’s a joke. Hellmann’s is a brand of mayonnaise.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Have there been any 7700K benchmarks pitted against overclocked 5775Cs yet? I want to know how badly my baby has aged.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Have there been any 7700K benchmarks pitted against overclocked 5775Cs yet? I want to know how badly my baby has aged.

I'm curious too. I'm sure with the overclocking, we are missing out. I haven't even bothered with mine.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11083/the-intel-core-i3-7350k-60w-review/12

It's rather impressive how well tuned Intel's 14nm is now for low 3GHz clocks: 39W on four cores.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Does anyone have Speed Shift working on Windows 10?

I thought a patch enabling this was due in November 2015. Just checking my 6600K in HWinfo, it's listed as a processor feature (SST) but not enabled.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

sincx posted:

So still no reason to upgrade from a 2600k. Man I think my motherboard is going to die of old age before my processor becomes obsolete in terms of performance.

Reason i upgraded from my 2600k is for the new Z270 boards. The ability to use m.2 NVME drives is pretty neat.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So with this whole "Kaby Lake will only work with Windows 10" being kicked around, does this also include Windows 8.1 being run in a VM?

I have some old legacy software that I need to run once a quarter that does not run under Windows 10 (because, get this, it's expecting a DLL version 3.0 or higher and with Windows 10, the DLL is v10.0 and we all know how lazy programmers are, so they only check for the first digit of the version number and claim it's too low :rolleyes::fh:)

I am currently on my trusty old 2500k so the VM runs fine, but I feel this is the year I'm making the leap.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

mcbexx posted:

So with this whole "Kaby Lake will only work with Windows 10" being kicked around, does this also include Windows 8.1 being run in a VM?

I have some old legacy software that I need to run once a quarter that does not run under Windows 10 (because, get this, it's expecting a DLL version 3.0 or higher and with Windows 10, the DLL is v10.0 and we all know how lazy programmers are, so they only check for the first digit of the version number and claim it's too low :rolleyes::fh:)

I am currently on my trusty old 2500k so the VM runs fine, but I feel this is the year I'm making the leap.

The hypervisor abstracts the actual CPU from the guest so it won't be a problem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mcbexx posted:

What's actually happening is that older Windows versions won't support every feature that shows up in Kaby Lake. It's like how you can run Windows 95 on a modern PC, but it won't understand 16 GB of RAM or 8 terabyte hard drives, and won't be able to make use of all the new instruction set extensions.

So you'll be fine running an older Windows and programs that need that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mcbexx posted:

I'm not aware of much testing but I did see this video where they tested by installing Windows 8.1 on a Kaby Lake system and running some benchmarking and stress tests, they ran into some weird problems but nothing that actually stopped things from working in th end. But like the dude in the video says you are very much in YMMV territory when it comes to running anything but Win10 on a Kaby Lake system.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Does anyone have Speed Shift working on Windows 10?

I thought a patch enabling this was due in November 2015. Just checking my 6600K in HWinfo, it's listed as a processor feature (SST) but not enabled.

I have it working with a 7600k and a ASRock Z270m Pro4 motherboard. The motherboard doesn't have Speedshift enabled by default, so I had to go into the UEFI and enable it manually.

I discovered it was disabled when I was first overclocking the chip, and had a brief moment where I thought I broke something, since it didn't even work after I reset the UEFI to defaults. Turns out it's off by default :downs:.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The idea of Intel releasing a CPU that only works properly with Windows 10 is frankly absurd when you realize that the default non-UEFI boot state of a PC manufactured in 2017 with brand new top end kit is a boot sector loaded to the same location and with the state that it would be loaded to on an IBM Personal Computer Model 5150.

Backwards compatibility *does not just disappear*.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Unless you are Apple...

But also you do have the usual fact that you usually run the newest OS on the Newest hardware. If you are buying brand new hardware to run Windows 7 on it, you really are just being stubborn and leaving performance benefits on the table, but you are completely able to do it if you so choose.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What? OEMs still use legacy boot and MBR partitions?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

EdEddnEddy posted:

Unless you are Apple...

But also you do have the usual fact that you usually run the newest OS on the Newest hardware. If you are buying brand new hardware to run Windows 7 on it, you really are just being stubborn and leaving performance benefits on the table, but you are completely able to do it if you so choose.

Yeah, tell that to businesses.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Palladium posted:

Yeah, tell that to businesses.

I do.

They don't listen then bitch when it doesn't work right. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

What's actually happening is that older Windows versions won't support every feature that shows up in Kaby Lake. It's like how you can run Windows 95 on a modern PC, but it won't understand 16 GB of RAM or 8 terabyte hard drives, and won't be able to make use of all the new instruction set extensions.

Much like Kaby Lake, I'd imagine the trick is going to be finding a way to install it. Windows 7 doesn't have an official Microsoft XHCI driver for Kaby Lake (or at least not one that runs at a low level?) so you need to boot up from USB 2.0. Kaby doesn't have native USB 2.0 anymore, ergo no Win7 support.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

There may be weird tricks you can use, like flashing a SATA drive as a boot disk, but who knows if there's a XHCI driver for Kaby at all, i.e. you may not have USB under Win7 even when you're installed. Win7 is definitely on the outs as far as Intel is concerned.

quote:

So you'll be fine running an older Windows and programs that need that.

Would Windows 95 even understand a SATA controller/drive? Or is there some IDE/ATAPI emulation mode that you can enable? It's never occurred to me even to try it...

... although of course there are those motherboards with all kinds of poo poo ancient ports and poo poo on them for the commercial/industrial users who just refuse to upgrade. Why yes, you can buy a Core-based motherboard with parallel ports and PCI and ISA slots.

And I know for sure you can actually buy a mSATA-to-IDE adapter, I have one on order for a Pentium III based thinkpad I'm resurrecting as a project PC...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 4, 2017